PDA

View Full Version : Spells fluff for homebrew system

didub
2010-05-04, 04:45 PM
Helloooo everybody,

I'm designing a homebrew system (currently in early alpha testing) and need spell ideas. I've got pretty much all the rules for spells and magic worked out but I'm sorely lacking in the imagination to come up with good spell ideas.

I'm looking for mainly fluff ideas and maybe some broad mechanics stuff (slows target down, damages multiple opponents). The most basic principle for magic is that each spell has a penalty to cast (similar to a DC in DnD) and an amount of time that must go by before another spell is cast (which is reduced by their Willpower). I'd rather not get any more specific at the moment because anything is subject to change at the moment.

I'd appreciate any contributions you have. If I get past the Alpha testing stage, I'll be posting the Beta here on the GiantITP forums for all of you to enjoy :)

Here's a short example (based off of this awesome webcomic (http://shawntionary.com/clockworks/?p=1210)

Hurl:
Skirata glances around at the loose pieces of rubble and scree around him, then raises his hand at an opponent and flicks his fingers. The rubble flies at the opponent, leaving a streak of dust in the air.

Shawn
2010-05-06, 04:43 PM
Hey! I'm the guy who made that comic!

I've become a big fan of the way Savage Worlds does magic, where the spells themselves are just really basic, and you can add whatever effects and stuff based on the setting and characters. For Clockworks, all of the magic is elemental based, so we have fireballs and tearing chunks of roof to launch at your enemy and whatnot.

I'd suggest doing something similar. Think up maybe a dozen categories, or flavors of magic, and just have some pretty basic spells. So when someone makes a caster, they decide if they do Nature spells or Electricity or Necromantic or whatever. Maybe have each type of magic give a different bonus mechanical effect, and encourage players to make up cool special effects for how their powers work.

That way you can have one "Blast That Guy" spells with a dozen ways to cast it, instead of a dozen "Blast That Guy" spells.

Helloooo everybody,

I'm designing a homebrew system (currently in early alpha testing) and need spell ideas. I've got pretty much all the rules for spells and magic worked out but I'm sorely lacking in the imagination to come up with good spell ideas.

I'm looking for mainly fluff ideas and maybe some broad mechanics stuff (slows target down, damages multiple opponents). The most basic principle for magic is that each spell has a penalty to cast (similar to a DC in DnD) and an amount of time that must go by before another spell is cast (which is reduced by their Willpower). I'd rather not get any more specific at the moment because anything is subject to change at the moment.

I'd appreciate any contributions you have. If I get past the Alpha testing stage, I'll be posting the Beta here on the GiantITP forums for all of you to enjoy :)

Here's a short example (based off of this awesome webcomic (http://shawntionary.com/clockworks/?p=1210)

Hurl:
Skirata glances around at the loose pieces of rubble and scree around him, then raises his hand at an opponent and flicks his fingers. The rubble flies at the opponent, leaving a streak of dust in the air.

didub
2010-05-08, 03:27 PM
I just spent about 3 hours changing the rules to work almost verbatim like you said, and then I came and checked the forum and BAM You reiterated exactly what I just did.

To bad another system already does it like that :smallannoyed:

Thanks for the tip Shawn. Now stop posting helpful advice on forums and crank out some Opheliawsome healing on poor Oliver.

(btw the beta of the system is yours if you want a copy)