PDA

View Full Version : Could Tyrannis be a dragon or a lizardfolk?

paladinofshojo
2010-05-04, 08:33 PM
I know this goes against the whole "Tyrannis is Nale and Elan's father" but I'm just saying that because his name is similar to Tyrannasaurous Rex that he may be a villian of the reptillian variety, and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them in the Western Continent either...

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-04, 08:34 PM
Tyrinar is neither a lizardfolk or dragon. He's probably dinosaur. :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2010-05-04, 08:40 PM
It's Tyrinar, but that would be very interesting: On the map in #698, we can see that the "nations" of the Western Continents either have cheesy names with synonyms for evil stuff or reptilian stuff (Scalya above Dictatoria and Reptilia between the Empires of Blood and Tears).

Secris
2010-05-04, 11:07 PM
I always saw it as a derivative of tyrant, not t-rex.

Raphite1
2010-05-04, 11:11 PM
Maybe, but you'd be right for the wrong reason. Both "Tyrannis" and "Tyrannosaurus" are derived from "tyrant." Saying that the word "Tyrannis" was derived from "Tyrannosaurus" would be like saying that the word "icicle" was derived from "ice cream" - both are derived from "ice."

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-04, 11:57 PM
Both "Tyrannis" and "Tyrannosaurus" are derived from "tyrant."
"Tyrannis" is Latin for "Tyrant". The character's name is Tyrinar.

theMycon
2010-05-05, 12:10 AM
"Tyrannis" is Latin for "Tyrant". Or, more specifically, "mayor".

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-05, 12:37 AM
Well, I'm hardly a Latin scholar, but it means "tyrants" in the famous phrase "Sic semper tyrannis" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis), it translates as "tyrant" and "absolute ruler" through online translators and those same translators seem to have no word for "mayor" at all. So, meh. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-05-05, 12:50 AM
He's a dinosaur and Elan and Nale's father. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html)

ThePhantasm
2010-05-05, 01:10 AM
Well, I'm hardly a Latin scholar, but it means "tyrants" in the famous phrase "Sic semper tyrannis" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis), it translates as "tyrant" and "absolute ruler" through online translators and those same translators seem to have no word for "mayor" at all. So, meh. :smalltongue:

"Thus always to mayors" doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? :smalltongue:

TheYoungKing
2010-05-05, 01:35 AM
Tyrant was Greek, and did not mean Mayor. It originally meant any leader that took power by unconventional/illegitimate means and slowly took on more negative overtones.

Vinyadan
2010-05-05, 04:24 AM
Just to avoid confusion:
Latin: Tyrannus. Second declination, ergo tyrannis.
Greek: Tyrannos. Second declination. From the greek word comes the latin word. The greek word probably has eastern origin. It means "someone who rules a state without being subject to the law".
Dominus (latin) and despotes (greek) mean lord.

Asta Kask
2010-05-05, 04:34 AM
And what does Darth Tyrannus mean?

SmaugTheYounger
2010-05-05, 04:53 AM
And what does Darth Tyrannus mean?

George Lucas got his latin from MAD magazine.

Acrux
2010-05-05, 01:59 PM
He's a dinosaur and Elan and Nale's father. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html)

You know, with the penchant this comic has for turning off-hand comments into pivotal plot-points, I really think you might be on to something.

NerfTW
2010-05-05, 02:16 PM
You know, with the penchant this comic has for turning off-hand comments into pivotal plot-points, I really think you might be on to something.

I dunno, there's already one half dragon bard (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deekin_Scalesinger), I don't think the world can handle two.

KeybladePalidin
2010-05-05, 02:39 PM
Elan a half dragon? As funny as that would be don't you think there'd be some physical signs of it. He's (in comic) the hottest male character. Not a single sign of scales. Also his father was shown to be human. Check Elan and Nael's backstory comic.

martinkou
2010-05-05, 03:11 PM
I dunno, there's already one half dragon bard (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deekin_Scalesinger), I don't think the world can handle two.

And both of them sing really horrible songs, what are the chances.

Deekin is like 20 levels higher than Elan, though. He can basically solo Xykon and win.

Threeshades
2010-05-05, 03:19 PM
"Thus always to mayors" doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? :smalltongue:

Tyrannis is singular.

@Asta Kask
That was Darth Tyranus. And it translates to "Mr. Evil Sounding Name", as did all Darths created after Vader.

Tannhaeuser
2010-05-05, 09:03 PM
"Tyrannis" is not a singular, but a second declension masculine dative plural (Thus always to tyrants). Vinyadan has it right; it was a loan-word from Greek.

mikeejimbo
2010-05-06, 01:47 PM
Elan a half dragon? As funny as that would be don't you think there'd be some physical signs of it. He's (in comic) the hottest male character. Not a single sign of scales. Also his father was shown to be human. Check Elan and Nael's backstory comic.

Doesn't he have a helmet?

He (Elan+Nale's father) could be half dragon, making Elan merely dragon-blooded.

Bongos
2010-05-08, 10:28 AM
Who is Tyrannis?

Kish
2010-05-08, 10:36 AM
A second declension masculine dative plural, didn't you see Tannhaeuser's post?

derfenrirwolv
2010-05-08, 11:38 AM
The helmet looks a little flat to be hiding some kind of snout.

deuxhero
2010-05-08, 11:43 AM
Though it's only an image spot. He could be be in an alt form.

Bongos
2010-05-08, 11:50 AM
All signs point to dinosaur

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html

Danne
2010-05-08, 01:37 PM
Tyrannis is singular.

@Asta Kask
That was Darth Tyranus. And it translates to "Mr. Evil Sounding Name", as did all Darths created after Vader.

All the Darths after Vader? Does Darth Vader mean something, then? I always thought he made it up.

Asta Kask
2010-05-08, 01:37 PM
I've heard it means "Father" in Dutch. Any Dutch around?

Danne
2010-05-08, 02:01 PM
Not Dutch but I'm studying German, and "Vader" is pretty similar to "Vater" meaning "father," so that would make sense. Thanks, Asta Kask. :smallsmile:

Lateral
2010-05-08, 04:37 PM
Not Dutch but I'm studying German, and "Vader" is pretty similar to "Vater" meaning "father," so that would make sense. Thanks, Asta Kask. :smallsmile:

I've heard it means "Father" in Dutch. Any Dutch around?

... And "pater" is father in latin...
Wow! Random Star Wars fridge logic tangent!

Danne
2010-05-08, 04:40 PM
Though it must have been a huge spoiler for anyone who saw the movie and understood what the name meant. "Luke, I am your father!" "Well, duh, that's what your name means!"

Vinyadan
2010-05-10, 10:30 AM
Wow, this is the best off topic linguistics discussion I ever met. I am now supressing the instinct of going even more off topic explaining why it is pater in Latin and father in English. All praise Star Wars and OotS for such a circumstance: involuntarily helping spreading knowledge!

Just to say a on-topic thing: I think Elan's father had another child with a ogre and this half-ogre had a child with a blue bragon, and this child is now a bounty hunter. Tyrannis may be the blue dragon.

Asta Kask
2010-05-10, 10:37 AM
Father, vater, and the others are derived from the proto-Indo-European *ph2tēr. The proto-Indo-Europans quickly discovered that you can't actually pronounce a number and evolved into different languages.

Danne
2010-05-10, 11:28 AM
Wow, this is the best off topic linguistics discussion I ever met. I am now supressing the instinct of going even more off topic explaining why it is pater in Latin and father in English. All praise Star Wars and OotS for such a circumstance: involuntarily helping spreading knowledge!

*pokes you* I'd actually be interested in that explanation. :smalltongue:

darthava
2010-05-10, 12:18 PM
Wel im from Netherland so I can help you guys out.

Vader is indeed father in dutch.

Altough darth Vader got his name for how he invaded and corrupted the jedi council/tempel(Vader being short for INvader.)

I hope this helped. :)