PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4.0] Shom, the White Desert

Jinn Master
2010-05-04, 09:25 PM
I am a fairly new DM using the Points of Light setting for my first whole Campaign- I've done one shots up until now.

I really like the idea of using Shom, The White Desert, to help move the story forward, but there isn't that much information about it, or the possible surviving Illuvians in the MoP for 4th Ed. Does anyone know if there is any more official information I can use as a framework, or is it all pretty much open?

If there isn't any more information, I would love some suggestions on how to use this area within my setting.

The basic idea is that the dark god Droskar has begun to regain power from the edges of obscurity. He is attempting to re-establish his forges, and send Dark Smiths against those who stand against him. I don't have much information on Droskar, either, so I'm pretty much winging it.

I would like the players to be able to go to Shom, and find a few Illuvians still alive, who can help them learn how to take out Droskar, and give them places to go within the planes to help them better equip themselves for their journey.

They have a larger amount of gold than is proportional to their level, because I had them start out in a very rich area- anticipating planar travel, and the suggested prices of items in the planes.

Aron Times
2010-05-04, 09:34 PM
I don't have The Plane Above, which deals with the Astral Sea, but I'm guessing that it's a good place to start. Basically, the way the Manual of the Planes works is that it gives you ideas for planar adventures but leaves the details to you, the DM.

I would handle Shom as a dungeon crawl with lots of natural hazards due to its shifting sands (which can be treated as traps) as well as a time limit for the party to get out before they get buried. It can be as simple as not being able to take an extended rest inside; nothing too complicated.

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 01:05 AM
That could fit somewhat, but I don't want to discourage them from actually exploring the plain. My party tends to run from things- they ran through almost half a dungeon (10 rooms) before being forced to go slower from traps.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-05, 01:58 AM
That could fit somewhat, but I don't want to discourage them from actually exploring the plain. My party tends to run from things- they ran through almost half a dungeon (10 rooms) before being forced to go slower from traps.

Heh... My group has the tendancy of always finding the back door or otherwise skipping right to the "big boss fight". And then, they usually leave the rest of the adventure untouched! :smallfurious:

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 02:06 AM
I had a door going straight from the 1st level to the 3rd level. They saw an ooze in that direction, and just ran past. Sigh.

Ah well- the rotating room trap messed em up. Was funny.

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 08:21 PM
I don't suppose someone with a copy of The Planes Above could help me out?

FoE
2010-05-05, 09:38 PM
I can never understand why players want to avoid fights (or quests, for that matter). Doesn't fighting net you XP, which in turn lets you fight even bigger monsters?

Could I suggest that, if you have a monster you want the PCs to defeat, you provide an incentive for them to do so? Like it menacing some hapless NPC or sitting on a pile of treasure?

(I'm sorry, I don't have the Planes Above. Can't help you with specific advice.)

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 09:44 PM
The cube they ran from had a mithril armor set floating in it.

They don't have enough faith in their ability to fight things. I think I'm going to need to force them into an encounter that will almost kill them, and have them beat it. Then they'd know almost exactly how much they can take.

Swordgleam
2010-05-05, 10:10 PM
The cube they ran from had a mithril armor set floating in it.

DM's assumption: Mithril armor is great. The players will certainly want it!

Players' assumption: Mithril armor is great. And that cube killed someone who was wearing it. There is no way we can take something that can take someone good enough to wear mithril. The DM must be warning us off.

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 10:23 PM
Good to note. Although, it ate the guy's corpse, not the guy himself.

That's got me wondering about some future encounters, though.

Trying to figure out a way to have the BBEG break into a meeting of theirs and not instantly be fired upon. They already think he's friendly, but they also think he's weak.

Swordgleam
2010-05-05, 10:37 PM
"Guys, guys, I have some news you need to know right away!" Followed by a fireball/whatever.

Unless "not right away" means more than "get a surprise round of his own."

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 11:13 PM
Well, the idea is as follows.

1. The BBEG is a necromancer who is passing himself off as one of the few good necromancers in existence, by defending this town. He uses only corpses of those already dead.

2. He has discovered a few magic items, and bought a few more (he is paid rather well, after all). These allow for some planar travel, and he found a key (a ring) to a pocket plane, which he managed to get a dragon to visit. The dragon is now trapped there.

3. The ring he stole is sentient, and will respond via different colors to player's commands. The BBEG wants to keep the ring, so if they find it, he is going to pretend to have just been badly hurt by the people the PC's were killing. Then try to get them to give him the ring to look at. Failing that, I need a way that he can keep them from getting the ring without them realizing who he is.

The dragon knows lots of useful things the players would find to their advantage- so while I want the opportunity there, I don't want it to be easy, because if they get a high enough diplomacy check, that dragon can tell them whatever they want to know.