PDA

View Full Version : DFI build

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-04, 09:46 PM
Can I get a cite on the sources necessary to be able to do a Bard/Warblade Dragonfire Inspiration build? I'm looking for everything that can give a boost to Inspire Courage, and the feats necessary to do DFI and change the flavor to another element?

I know the basic concept, I just need to know which books I'm going to need to cite sources...

Eldariel
2010-05-04, 09:53 PM
Can I get a cite on the sources necessary to be able to do a Bard/Warblade Dragonfire Inspiration build? I'm looking for everything that can give a boost to Inspire Courage, and the feats necessary to do DFI and change the flavor to another element?

I know the basic concept, I just need to know which books I'm going to need to cite sources...

Tome of Battle: Warblade [Class], Song of the White Raven [Feat]
Dragon Magic: Dragonfire Inspiration [Feat], Dragonblooded Races (Silverbrow Human [Race] in particular), Dragontouched [Feat] if desperate
Races of the Dragon: Dragonborn of Bahamut (to make any race Dragonblooded) [Template]
Eberron Campaign Settings: Song of the Heart [Feat]
Spell Compendium: Inspirational Boost [Spell]
Book of Exalted Deeds: Words of Creation [Feat]
Dungeon Master's Guide II: Vest of Legend [Item]
Complete Adventurer: Mw. Instruments [Item]
Magic Item Compendium: Badge of Valor [Item]

That should about cover everything you'll want. Not all of that is necessary, of course, but that's the basic Inspire Courage optimization.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-04, 11:32 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

Akal Saris
2010-05-04, 11:35 PM
This had better not be part of a Singing Stonelord build, Shneekey! :smalltongue:

Also, excellent list Eldariel. Very nicely compiled.

I'll add in that Dread Pirate (C. Adv) is full BAB and progresses Inspire Courage more rapidly than a bard, gaining +1 at 3rd and 7th levels. I'd generally prefer to take more warblade levels though :P

Keld Denar
2010-05-04, 11:50 PM
The only way to change the flavor is to be a 1/2 Dragon or take the Dragonic Heritage feat. The feat requires you to be a 1st level Sorcerer. Dragontouched makes you a 1st level Sorcerer, effectively. Thats 2 feats to change your flavor, on top of DFI, Song of the White Raven, and Song of the Heart. Thats of your 4/8 feats, if you are human. Makes it tough to fit in TWF and the other feats you need.

Eldariel
2010-05-04, 11:51 PM
The only way to change the flavor is to be a 1/2 Dragon or take the Dragonic Heritage feat. The feat requires you to be a 1st level Sorcerer. Dragontouched makes you a 1st level Sorcerer, effectively. Thats 2 feats to change your flavor, on top of DFI, Song of the White Raven, and Song of the Heart. Thats of your 4/8 feats, if you are human. Makes it tough to fit in TWF and the other feats you need.

Can't Dragonborn do it too?

marjan
2010-05-04, 11:55 PM
There is racial substitution level in RoD, I think, that gives dargonblood sorceror Draconic Heritage (Useful for changing energy type of DFI) instead of familiar.

EDIT: Eldariel listed pretty much everything you, though there are couple more things here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869994/Bard_Inspire_Courage_Optimization), that you may find useful.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-05, 12:02 AM
This is not for any build on this board. It's for a RL game. Basically, party needs a good beatstick and meatshield, and has a TWF rogue in it already, as well as a Druid which focuses heavily on summoning lots of very dangerous things that can also benefit from lots of dice extra damage

Keld Denar
2010-05-05, 12:11 AM
Can't Dragonborn do it too?

No. Dragonfire Inspiration is explicit. It states:

Special: If you have the Draconic Heritage feat or if you are a half-dragon, the extra damage is of the energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic) that corresponds to your heritage or your draconic parent instead. If your feat or your parent is not associated with one of these energy types, this feat has no effect for you.

Emphasis mine. You need one or the other. Dragonborn of Bahamut doesn't come into play. In fact, it doesn't give you anything more than you'd get from being a Silverbrow Human or a Glimmerskin Halfling.

Akal Saris
2010-05-05, 12:38 AM
IIRC, you can still take it as dragonborn or silverbrow human, it just will be fire damage instead of sonic.

Shneekey, if you have the feats to spare, Draconic Aura and Double Draconic Aura could compliment your stances and singing for more party buffs.

Eldariel
2010-05-05, 12:40 AM
No. Dragonfire Inspiration is explicit. It states:

Emphasis mine. You need one or the other. Dragonborn of Bahamut doesn't come into play. In fact, it doesn't give you anything more than you'd get from being a Silverbrow Human or a Glimmerskin Halfling.

Hm, thanks for pointing this out. I don't have DM nearby so I couldn't check myself and I had somehow a memory engrained in my mind of using Dragonborn to alter the breath effect.

marjan
2010-05-05, 11:31 AM
Hm, thanks for pointing this out. I don't have DM nearby so I couldn't check myself and I had somehow a memory engrained in my mind of using Dragonborn to alter the breath effect.

Dragonborn allows tou to take Draconic Heritage(Platinum), which (depending on your interpretation) may give you ability to choose damage type on the fly.

Akal Saris
2010-05-05, 02:12 PM
It actually doesn't let you take it though. You'd need the Dragontouched feat (which redundantly makes you dragonblooded again) or a level of sorcerer before you can take Draconic Heritage.