PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Ardent Dilettante and Sense Link

gbprime
2010-05-04, 11:24 PM
I was toying with this Planar Handbook PrC this week and was wondering if there was any FAQ on it that I cannot find. The 4th level power Sense Link allows the AD to set up a Clairaudience/Clairvoyance on someone and have it travel with that person regardless of time and nearly regardless of distance.

Only I don't see a limitation on it's use. I would expect it to be once per day or something, but it just doesn't say. Which begs the question as to how many of these an AD could put up in tandem.

Without a reasonable limit, an AD with guards/scouts/cultists/hired adventurers would know everything that goes on in their entire organization all the time. The all seeing boss, basically.

Now as a DM, I would set a limit to prevent this from getting utterly ridiculous. But is there a limit already that I've just overlooked?

gbprime
2010-05-05, 01:50 PM
Don't tell me I stumped the band? :smalleek:

Trouvere
2010-05-05, 02:30 PM
The Dilettante has to activate the link on someone who is initially within 30 feet, who also gets a Will save to negate. It mimics Clairvoyant Sense, so after that it presumably lasts only 1 minute per AD level, between 4 and 10 minutes, then. That duration limits how far the subject can move, unless they teleport. I would suppose that a Dilettante could ordinarily make sense of only one clairvoyant input (unless perhaps they had a means of splitting their mind?).

gbprime
2010-05-05, 02:40 PM
Well it doesn't say it needs concentration, so the splitting thing is ambiguous.

But the caster level is telling, which I missed. Thanks. And if it works just like the spell, then it takes 10 minutes to set up and lasts 10 minutes or less. Hmm. :smallyuk: