PDA

View Full Version : Dating sites

junglesteve
2010-05-05, 03:52 AM
What are some good ones? I was very excited after finding geek 2 geek, only to find they charge an ass load of money for their monthly sub bologna :(

Totally Guy
2010-05-05, 04:03 AM
Humbly submitted for your perusal:

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2010/04/07/why-you-should-never-pay-for-online-dating/

Courtesy of Pyrian in the relationship woes thread.

valadil
2010-05-05, 08:21 AM
I had good luck with OkCupid. We're getting married on the 30th :-D

It's free. The matching algorithms aren't perfect but they're better than I expected. All the guys on it are skeezy, so if you can go 5 minutes without asking to see a girl's anatomy, you're doing better than 95% of the competition. The only problem I had was that there were a lot of polyamorous people and a lot of people just looking for a hookup (I don't know how those groups correlate to each other). I don't have a problem with either of those groups, but they weren't what I was looking for, and yet members of both contacted me quite a bit, even when I put NOT-POLY in big bold letters at the top of my profile.

RS14
2010-05-05, 10:23 AM
From the OkCupid FAQ:

What is OkCupid programmed in?

Currently we have over 200,000 lines of C++ code. That’s pretty much everything, except our picture upload scripts, which are in PHP. Offline, we use both perl and python for some little maintenance programs.

Any dating site that has such a thing in their FAQ is good by me. :smallcool:

Totally Guy
2010-05-05, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately I can't seem to register on that website.:smallannoyed:

The second screen of the sign-up process doesn't seem to load for me. Or it flips back to the main page.

I've tried Chrome and Safari.

Mordokai
2010-05-05, 10:53 AM
All the guys on it are skeezy, so if you can go 5 minutes without asking to see a girl's anatomy, you're doing better than 95% of the competition.

I am as much a geek as the next person, but I never imagined girl's kidneys were such a hot item :smalltongue:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-05-05, 10:54 AM
OKC is probably the only one you're going to find that's completely free. Other than that, pretty much every other dating website out there makes you pay to do anything substantial.

Pyrian
2010-05-05, 10:59 AM
"Plenty of Fish" is also free and has a better name. :smallwink:

valadil
2010-05-05, 11:36 AM
I am as much a geek as the next person, but I never imagined girl's kidneys were such a hot item :smalltongue:

I suppose I should have said external anatomy. Or genitalia. Forgive me for trying to avoid being vulgar.

Regarding my comments about poly before, I really think that OkC or any dating community for that matter, should allow a preference for filtering this sort of thing. You can filter religion and race. Why not dating style? Maybe they've implemented this since I've last used the site.

Eldan
2010-05-05, 11:48 AM
I think you mean secondary sex characteristics. :smallwink:

Worira
2010-05-05, 11:49 AM
I just spent an hour reading that blog.

Mordokai
2010-05-05, 11:52 AM
I suppose I should have said external anatomy. Or genitalia. Forgive me for trying to avoid being vulgar.

Cheer up dude. I was trying to be witty and funny. From the looks of it, I failed yet again. Which means I get to keep my perfect record :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, that criteria is kinda... low?

Pyrian
2010-05-05, 12:44 PM
...Which was his original point, yes.

OkCupid has questions regarding poly, so you can answer them "heck no", but that won't stop them from messaging you, it'll just drop their compatibility percentage.

junglesteve
2010-05-05, 03:30 PM
Yeah, that blog pretty much has it down. Which sucks :( currently just got a 'wink' from someone who's profile portrays her as REALLY awesome but I cant send a message because of this pay bologna. So I am stuck endlessly 'winking' I guess. Those bastards screen your profile updates! I tried to be sneaky and throw my usual usernames in my profile, even my full name but that was no dice.

Capt Spanner
2010-05-05, 04:18 PM
"Plenty of Fish" is also free and has a better name. :smallwink:

OKCupid is really really geeky, but the forums are pretty vulgar.

PoF has loads of really rubbish profiles on it, but the forums are far more intelligent.

Since they're both free there's no reason not to sign up to both.

valadil
2010-05-05, 04:21 PM
Cheer up dude. I was trying to be witty and funny. From the looks of it, I failed yet again. Which means I get to keep my perfect record :smallbiggrin:

Nah, I laughed at it. This was the only response I could think of though.

OkCupid has questions regarding poly, so you can answer them "heck no", but that won't stop them from messaging you, it'll just drop their compatibility percentage.

See, the problem with the questions is that they were vague. Intellectually I have no problem with poly. It's just not for me. I felt like I ended up giving the anti-poly answers because that's what I was compatible with rather than because it was what I believed. I'm not sure other users would come to the same conclusion, so this probably muddied results. I'd rather just be able to indicate that I'm not compatible with poly.

Pyrian
2010-05-05, 04:41 PM
That's an answer-set problem. I don't remember the specific questions involved, but I do recall that OkCupid's user-generated multiple-choice questions are quite HORRIFICALLY prone to having no reasonable option to choose.

rayne_dragon
2010-05-06, 12:13 PM
That's an answer-set problem. I don't remember the specific questions involved, but I do recall that OkCupid's user-generated multiple-choice questions are quite HORRIFICALLY prone to having no reasonable option to choose.

"Would you rather eat puppies or kittens?"

At least they added the explain your answer feature, so you can at least explain that both are horrible choices to you.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 01:29 PM

At least they added the explain your answer feature, so you can at least explain that both are horrible choices to you.

Wow, that site has issues :smalltongue:

Mordokai
2010-05-06, 01:38 PM
Nah, I laughed at it. This was the only response I could think of though.

Ah, I see. In that case, I appologize. I misunderstood you as well :smallsmile:

... that means my perfect record is now ruined, all thanks to you! I hope you're happy, jerk! :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2010-05-06, 02:35 PM

Of course, the whole point of a question like that is that if you had no choice but to eat one of those, which would it be.

It's like someone asking you, "what do you like more, red or blue" and you answer green. Sure, you may like green more, but the question wasn't asking you your favourite colour.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 02:37 PM
Of course, the whole point of a question like that is that if you had no choice but to eat one of those, which would it be.

It's like someone asking you, "what do you like more, red or blue" and you answer green. Sure, you may like green more, but the question wasn't asking you your favourite colour.

But if you're seriously interested in using this information to find people then they could at least give a Neither option.