PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Bag of holding

stenver
2010-05-05, 05:17 AM
Bag of Holding: This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size. The bag of holding opens into a nondimensional space: Its inside is larger than its outside dimensions. Regardless of what is put into the bag, it weighs a fixed amount. This weight, and the limits in weight and volume of the bag’s contents, depend on the bag’s type, as shown on the table below.

If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever. If a bag of holding is turned inside out, its contents spill out, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again. If living creatures are placed within the bag, they can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time they suffocate. Retrieving a specific item from a bag of holding is a move action—unless the bag contains more than an ordinary backpack would hold, in which case retrieving a specific item is a full-round action.

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process.
Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, secret chest.

So my question is simple:
Bag of holding cant be put into bag of holding, right?
What about spells like Teleport and Dimension door, are those lethal too?
What else is "Strictly unadvised" to use with bad of holding, spells and such?
Since PC run into sharp objects all the time, should any of their bags become ruined... all the time?

ForzaFiori
2010-05-05, 05:22 AM
Actually, it looks like a bag of holding CAN be put into another bag of holding. Just not a portable hole.

Farlion
2010-05-05, 05:22 AM
Since PC run into sharp objects all the time, should any of their bags become ruined... all the time?

Stuffing in swords, daggers and other pointy things without a scabbard will get any bag ruined, so yes, even a bag of holding. To not make your players mad, just ask them, if they really want to stuff the sword in the bag without a scabbard.

Cheers,
Farlion

stenver
2010-05-05, 06:09 AM
Wait, so a Bag of holding is not considered a portable hole?

Yes, of course, i wont make my players mad for no reason, lucky for me, they are well aware of the problem.

But what about spells and pointy things from outside?

Escheton
2010-05-05, 06:31 AM
You will probably not be carrying it in full view.
And if it's hidden it can't be sundered. Which is the only mechanic dealing with ruining items if you dont count desintegrate-like spells and dm's that count every hit and missed-but-by-your-armorvalue-and-thus-contact and take gear damage and wear and tear overly serious.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-05, 06:33 AM
Wait, so a Bag of holding is not considered a portable hole?

Well... no. Because it's a Bag of Holding. Not a Portable Hole.

stenver
2010-05-05, 06:40 AM
theres no portable hole inside it?

what about dimension door or teleport?

Darkxarth
2010-05-05, 06:41 AM
Portable Hole is an actual item.

Portable Hole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole)

Bag of Holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding)

AdalKar
2010-05-05, 06:52 AM
And here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051101a) is a text about the hazards of extradimensional spaces (like a portable hole) and nondimensional spaces (like a bag of holding).

Maybe that can help you a bit.

stenver
2010-05-05, 07:26 AM
Well you have made me a fool.

Thank you

But how is portable hole any better than bag of holding? It costs 20000 GP, twice as much as a best bag of holding and for that money you could get bag of holding 4 and 2 wands of rope trick

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-05, 07:33 AM
I believe the portable hole is notably lighter, and possibly more compact.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-05, 07:35 AM
It's a hole. There are many things you can do with a Portable Hole you cannot do with a Bag of Holding.

Fill it with acid and cover it with a tarp for a quick-and-dirty trap. Then once your enemy falls in, fold up the hole so he can't get out again.

Plus they have no weight limit, just a volume limit. You could fill it up with lead if you wanted. The volume is around 280 cubic feet - only slightly smaller than a Bag of Holding IV.

And they're far lighter and more portable. They weigh as much as a large cloth and take up the same amount of space. Bags of Holding, meanwhile, are pretty bulky. They're more like sacks than anything.

ShadowFighter15
2010-05-05, 07:37 AM
And the hole doesn't weight anything (or at least not enough to bother keeping track of). I've always imagined it as something you could fold up and put in your pocket when you don't need it.

EDIT: And of course, there's the uses Yuki just mentioned.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-05, 12:47 PM
It's a hole. There are many things you can do with a Portable Hole you cannot do with a Bag of Holding.

Fill it with acid and cover it with a tarp for a quick-and-dirty trap. Then once your enemy falls in, fold up the hole so he can't get out again.

I've wondered about this. One can damage a bag of holding from the inside, is the same true of a portable hole?

obnoxious
sig

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-05, 02:17 PM
I've wondered about this. One can damage a bag of holding from the inside, is the same true of a portable hole?

obnoxious
sig

By RAW, you can't damage a Portable Hole from the inside (I suppose you could Sunder it when it's not active from the outside though...).

Again, by RAW, if someone stuffed you in a Bag of Holding (I'm assuming you're Small or smaller), you could pull out your dagger (or other weapon) and tear the bag... and be "lost forever" (because you'd be "the contents")... whatever that means.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-05, 02:43 PM
I believe the portable hole is notably lighter, and possibly more compact.
However, in 3.5, you can't fold it up with anything but air inside.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-05, 02:45 PM
However, in 3.5, you can't fold it up with anything but air inside.

I think you're thinking of the Pit... not the Portable Hole (from the DMG).

Ravens_cry
2010-05-05, 02:57 PM
I think you're thinking of the Pit... not the Portable Hole (from the DMG).
Double check, you're right, my mistake.