PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] - Optimizing Gun Mage

Chineselegolas
2010-05-05, 06:53 AM
Playing a mage for the first time, in a cabal of players who know what they are doing, so decided to go down a different route, and going with a gun based character.
I'm an Acanthus, so Fate and Time magic, also having picked up Forces 2 at creation. GM is an optimizer, he lets us do it. And he found my idea of an Acanthus ex-marine hilarious idea for the oddity value.

Currently have 4 dex and 4 firearms w/speciality in rifles, and have picked up the Combat Marksman fighting style from Armoury, to combo off the 5 composure I have from Acanthus boost.
In the Cabal we have a life master and a mind adept who are quite happily casting vulgar buffs, upping my dex, firearms and composure further, as well as a Matter/Prime artificer who has made my gun uber, as well as the rest of our equipment.

Anyhow, finally getting to my point, is there anything else I can do to make myself better with my gun, or am I pretty much beyond the broken already?

The Glyphstone
2010-05-05, 06:59 AM
You could try to reduce Paradox by wearing a black trenchcoat, sunglasses, and saying 'woah' a lot.:smallbiggrin:

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-05, 07:02 AM
Playing a mage for the first time, in a cabal of players who know what they are doing, so decided to go down a different route, and going with a gun based character.
I'm an Acanthus, so Fate and Time magic, also having picked up Forces 2 at creation. GM is an optimizer, he lets us do it. And he found my idea of an Acanthus ex-marine hilarious idea for the oddity value.

Currently have 4 dex and 4 firearms w/speciality in rifles, and have picked up the Combat Marksman fighting style from Armoury, to combo off the 5 composure I have from Acanthus boost.
In the Cabal we have a life master and a mind adept who are quite happily casting vulgar buffs, upping my dex, firearms and composure further, as well as a Matter/Prime artificer who has made my gun uber, as well as the rest of our equipment.

Anyhow, finally getting to my point, is there anything else I can do to make myself better with my gun, or am I pretty much beyond the broken already?

What are your arcana dots? In any case, take a mentor who has prime, and higher mastery of your arcana than you. Hence - free enchantments.

To be honest though, mage isn't really about combat. Being useful in a fight is all well and good, but (from my experience), if you have time, the most useful thing you can do is scry back and forward in time. The out of combat stuff tends to get much more powerful more quickly.

Chineselegolas
2010-05-05, 08:06 AM
You could try to reduce Paradox by wearing a black trenchcoat, sunglasses, and saying 'woah' a lot.:smallbiggrin:
Oddly, we are going superhero sort of theme, so probably might be doing this actually... >.>

What are your arcana dots? In any case, take a mentor who has prime, and higher mastery of your arcana than you. Hence - free enchantments.

To be honest though, mage isn't really about combat. Being useful in a fight is all well and good, but (from my experience), if you have time, the most useful thing you can do is scry back and forward in time. The out of combat stuff tends to get much more powerful more quickly.
Time 4, Forces 2, Fate, Life and Space 1. Plan to be picking up fate and space 2 when I get the xp
The cabals artificer is a master of one and adept of the other, so he makes pretty darned good stuff for us. His xp makes us better at helping him.
And yeah I know it isn't all about combat, but this is a LARP using the tabletop system, so having a combat cabal is useful from time to time with all the other investigative or non-combatant cabals. But as it is, I am the PC with the highest level of Time magic, so have been doing alot of scrying forwards and backwards for the others, however the STs are excellent at providing imagery which is definitely two opposing possibilities. Is rather impressive actually.

mikeejimbo
2010-05-05, 08:25 AM
Pump Fate for the 9 again property rote! You will have EXPLODING BULLETS. (Although, not literally).

Semidi
2010-05-05, 09:53 AM
You're going to want:

8, 9, and 10 again, combat marksmanship level 5 (the sexiest fighting style level), gunslinger, ambidextrous, two laser sights on those pistols, buff your guns with fate, get a matter person to buff the guns, and to get your dex jacked with life magic.

In the end you should have around 15 + dice (conservative estimate) to roll for each gun, re-roll all successes, and multiple attacks per-round (five attacks about, but you lose your defense--but oh wait--you should have kevlar and fate armor so who needs defense?). So you'll have around 80 dice to roll a turn plus re-rolling those successes.

There are going to be two things left when you're done shooting: red goo and and bullet holes. A friend of mine did a gunslinger build for a dice game--normal mortal--who had 8, 9, and 10 again on the guns. He got, I think, around 17 successes in one turn against a werewolf. He shot it in half.