PDA

View Full Version : the king is a god

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 07:04 AM
So the players are trying to take on this king but what they don't know is that he is a god so i was wodering what would be the best way to show them that he is a god.

paddyfool
2010-05-05, 07:05 AM
Depends on what kind of a god he is.

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 07:07 AM
Depends on what kind of a god he is.

What do you mean what kind of a god he is.

Doc Roc
2010-05-05, 07:11 AM
What do you mean what kind of a god he is.

I mean, is he the lasers from the eyes flavor? Godking can be dangerous in large doses or if you are currently pregnant; Do not over-apply. If rash occurs and persists for more than one session, discontinue use of Godking.

He should have some Salient Divine Abilities, many of which represent things that aren't present elsewhere in the game. Having him use one in front of them is a give away in game and out. It's also heavy handed.

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 07:14 AM
I mean, is he the lasers from the eyes flavor? Godking can be dangerous in large doses or if you are currently pregnant; Do not over-apply. If rash occurs and persists for more than one session, discontinue use of Godking.

He should have some Salient Divine Abilities, many of which represent things that aren't present elsewhere in the game. Having him use one in front of them is a give away in game and out. It's also heavy handed.

Ok i will have to think about this for a second do you have a book that i should look in for this.

Warpwolf16
2010-05-05, 07:16 AM
...reminds me of the sorcerer kings of DS...well, you could always make him a demi god. By making him a level 20 sorcerer lich. He has had immrtality in mind and to achieve it he became a lich.

As stated before, the idea of god hunting seems a bit odd. Wouldnt suggest doing it...and it still remonds me of DS sorcere kings..since the SK of Tyr was killed in a similar fashion.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-05, 07:17 AM
Don't you think its a little... railroady, to have a god in game for the players to fight? I mean, he's far too much of a challenge for the players to fight, without some kind of deux ex machina, and if you aren't fighting him, then what purpose does the king's being a god have? Wouldn't it be better to save the 'God-king's' big reveal for later?

EDIT: Unless, of course, the PC's are epic level.

Mastikator
2010-05-05, 07:19 AM
He lets them attack him and doesn't defend himself. Eventually they'll get a hint when he's taking less damage than their weapons.:smalltongue:

Jokes aside, it depends on the personality of the god.

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 07:22 AM
...reminds me of the sorcerer kings of DS...well, you could always make him a demi god. By making him a level 20 sorcerer lich. He has had immrtality in mind and to achieve it he became a lich.

As stated before, the idea of god hunting seems a bit odd. Wouldnt suggest doing it...and it still remonds me of DS sorcere kings..since the SK of Tyr was killed in a similar fashion.

They took a quest to kill the king not knowing that he was a god infact no one but his higher ups even knows that he has achevied deity hood so they are not going to fight him yet i am just revealing him so that i can get them to hunt for the (God Slaying weapons) they still have the choice to leave or any thing but i think that this is going to be to good of a challenge for the players to resist.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-05, 07:25 AM
Well, if you're sure the rest of your players will enjoy it, it should be okay. Hope you have fun with that. :smallwink:

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 07:27 AM
Well, if you're sure the rest of your players will enjoy it, it should be okay. Hope you have fun with that.

I am sure that they will they like to kill stuff way to much of a challenge for them it is fun for them so i am sure that they will like this.

Doc Roc
2010-05-05, 07:29 AM
Yeah..... Deities are... hard to kill in D&D. The Salient Divine Abilities can produce things ranging in brutality from instant kills with no saves to infinite time stop chains.

I hope you know what you are doing.
Salient divines are in the SRD, if I remember correctly, as they were part of the ELH.

Klyth Manyclaw2
2010-05-05, 07:33 AM
{Scrubbed}

lsfreak
2010-05-05, 07:50 AM
There's a few questions that stand out, some a bit more relevant than the others.

How did the king reach godhood?
Why is he keeping it completely secret?
What is he doing with his god powers besides sitting on a throne all day?
What areas does he 'govern' over as a god (fire, trickery, prosperity, etc?)
What is the king known for, both personality-wise and works-wise (did he create a system of highways? rules with an iron fist? summons demons and then 'saves' people from them? nothing?)
Why are your PC's trying to kill this guy, besides 'I clicked Accept Quest?'

Prodan
2010-05-05, 07:54 AM
So the players are trying to take on this king but what they don't know is that he is a god so i was wodering what would be the best way to show them that he is a god.

Have him clothed yellow and wear a pallid mask.

Doc Roc
2010-05-05, 08:09 AM
Have him clothed yellow and wear a pallid mask.

I see what you diidddd aii ai ai !
Related note:
By happens-chance are two of the player characters loosely slated to be slain by said king? If so, I deeply regret telling you where to find SDAs.

MickJay
2010-05-05, 08:24 AM
Who hired them in the first place? Your players could, potentially, decide to switch sides, after all, and go after the one who hired them as well.

Also, it's not ai ai ai, it's Ia! Ia! Ia! :smallbiggrin:

Doc Roc
2010-05-05, 08:26 AM
Who hired them in the first place? Your players could, potentially, decide to switch sides, after all, and go after the one who hired them as well.

Also, it's not ai ai ai, it's Ia! Ia! Ia! :smallbiggrin:

I am aware, but it's not really proper babbling madness if it's consistent, now is it?

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 09:10 AM
Well, if you're sure the rest of your players will enjoy it, it should be okay. Hope you have fun with that.

What do you mean if the players will enjoy it you are one of them so will you enjoy it or not?

Optimystik
2010-05-05, 09:57 AM
Ok i will have to think about this for a second do you have a book that i should look in for this.

There's a whole index of divine abilities on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/divineRanksPowers.htm)

valadil
2010-05-05, 10:07 AM
Read Mistborn. The Lord Ruler is also god. He makes this very public and integrates religion into state affairs. Relevance aside, it's an excellent series and worth reading even if you aren't mining it for D&D ideas.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-05, 12:18 PM
Salient divines are in the SRD, if I remember correctly, as they were part of the ELH Deities and Demigods.

Fixed that for you.

deephelldragon
2010-05-05, 12:35 PM
Thank's everybody for every thing i am about to run them through the encounter they will not die if they are not stupid (charge the kings men) so i will post later to tell you what happened.

Runestar
2010-05-06, 05:52 AM
Plot-wise, it is not impossible to take down a god. I am guessing their greatest flaw would be arrogance, which may eventually bring about their own downfall.

I know in an old comic I read, one of the villians was a 2000-year old immortal who initially was too powerful for any of the protagonists to fight. However, through a series of events (largely brought about by his own arrogance), he is gradually weakened to the extent where the heroes are able to fight him on an even footing. Eventually, he is tricked into losing his powers, and dies a most ignoble death. :smallsmile:

Amphetryon
2010-05-06, 06:20 AM
Godking can be dangerous in large doses or if you are currently pregnant; Do not over-apply. If rash occurs and persists for more than one session, discontinue use of Godking.
I lol'ed. This might just be sig material.