PDA

View Full Version : We are crazy

BRC
2010-05-05, 07:26 AM
So, me and my college friends, to celebrate the last day of classes, have decided to watch all 3 Lord of the Rings, extended edition movies back to back...

we may or may not survive.

Starscream
2010-05-05, 07:28 AM
I've done it. It can be lived through, although you will not want to watch them again for a long time.

Also once watched every Freddy Krueger movie in a row. We decided to do Jason next, but that one we spread out over a weekend, because there are more of them (and they are more painful).

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-05, 07:30 AM
We tried that once. But we started too late, and I fell asleep after the first movie. :smalltongue:

SDF
2010-05-05, 07:31 AM
I know lots of people that have done it. I even did unintentionally. (As in I didn't set out to do it, they were just sitting there and I was bored) Basically you are just really fed up with the whole thing before it is over.

Totally Guy
2010-05-05, 07:32 AM
We tried it too... but due to technical issues it all went wrong and we ended up huddled over the book.

Different reading speeds cut that one short.:smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-05-05, 07:34 AM
I long to do this...just need to get the kids and wife away for a day to watch non-stop movies...nah, I'll do something else then.

But I do envy you m'dear

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-05, 07:56 AM
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, liked it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-05, 08:00 AM
Done it, did a mega Star Wars marathon the following day. Turned a girl from a passing nerd just getting into D&D to an uber-geek who then voluntarily went to a comic convention in full costume just weeks later.

I wish you luck, may your brains survive.

Haruki-kun
2010-05-05, 08:09 AM
178+179+201 minutes of people walking..... :smalleek:

rakkoon
2010-05-05, 08:12 AM
Sometimes they run...it's like babewatch with armours.
Oh and sans girls.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-05, 08:13 AM
Oh, and a different group of friends tried a Star Wars marathon. Just the original trilogy. We got halfway through The Empire Strikes Back before we couldn't take it anymore and just fast forwarded to the good part.

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-05, 08:13 AM
If you're going to do that, combine it with the Hobbits' Feast (http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=3243):

First Breakfast
Fresh Hens eggs, nice crispy bacon, grilled mushrooms and orange slice
(Substitute veggie bacon for veggie option)

Second Breakfast
Strawberries and Cream

Elevensies
Pan Seared Sausage and tomatoes with cheeses, cabbage and pickles
(Substitute veggie sausage for pork sausage with veggie option)

Luncheon
Braised Spareribs with mashed potatoes, roast carrots
(Substitute marinated mushrooms for spareribs with veggie option)

Afternoon Tea
Baby greens with garlic blackberry vinaigrette, cheese herb galette, served with tea cookies

Dinner
Stewed Coney (rabbit) with taters, carrot, and leek, fresh garden herbs with crusty bread
(Substitute a root vegetable stew in veggie option)

Supper
Swirl of tomato and spinach soups wild mushroom crouton, apple pie

(Other menus for this type of event do exist...)

Krade
2010-05-05, 08:18 AM
If you're going to do that, combine it with the Hobbits' Feast (http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=3243):

(Other menus for this type of event do exist...)

So... would you have to eat Jabba's frog things for the Star Wars Marathon?

Totally Guy
2010-05-05, 08:19 AM
If you're going to do that, combine it with the Hobbits' Feast (http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=3243)

My friends did this. I was away that week.:smallfrown:

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-05, 08:24 AM
So... would you have to eat Jabba's frog things for the Star Wars Marathon?

Maybe more like this stuff (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Cookbook:_Wookiee_Cookies_and_Other_ Galactic_Recipes).

Oh, and blue milk.

Starscream
2010-05-05, 08:25 AM
Done it, did a mega Star Wars marathon the following day.

Ooh, I have Rifftrax for all 6 SW films. I should turn that into a marathon. Hilarity truly will ensue.

13_CBS
2010-05-05, 08:30 AM
So, me and my college friends, to celebrate the last day of classes, have decided to watch all 3 Lord of the Rings, extended edition movies back to back...

Meh, it's only like 9 or 10 hours.

Man up, you wuss. :smallamused:

paddyfool
2010-05-05, 08:44 AM
Try a David Lynch Marathon (say... Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive) and then I'll maybe be impressed.

Hazkali
2010-05-05, 11:03 AM
My circle decided we were going to watch all of the Star Wars films in a row, in episode order. The result? By the time we'd finished 1-3, we were too tired to watch 4-6. All of the pain for none of the gain.

I wouldn't do the same with The Lord of the Rings, though, just because they were such an integral part of my teenage years. Knowing that tiredness and boredom would set in by the halfway mark, I'd rather not cheapen them by trying. Strange, but it's how I feel.

Seffbasilisk
2010-05-05, 11:25 AM
One of my friends threw a party like that, LOTR theme, lasted twelve hours (officially), all of them back to back.

There was a cake shaped like Minas Tirith, all sorts of delectables, and two shapely females dancing to the hobbit's drinking song.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-05, 11:28 AM
One of my friends threw a party like that, LOTR theme, lasted twelve hours (officially), all of them back to back.

There was a cake shaped like Minas Tirith, all sorts of delectables, and two shapely females dancing to the hobbit's drinking song.

That sounds like the best cake ever and I am thoroughly jealous that I wasn't present for it.

Eldan
2010-05-05, 11:43 AM
Try a David Lynch Marathon (say... Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive) and then I'll maybe be impressed.

And the complete Dune.

arguskos
2010-05-05, 12:17 PM
I've done that. I've done the Star Wars marathon too. I've even trumped you all, and done a marathon of all 10 Star Trek films, in order (didn't include the new one, cause, uh, it wasn't out yet). That was a long day, but totally awesome in all possible ways. :smallbiggrin:

Also, Roland, I've done the Hobbit's Feast before. Pretty cool stuff. :smallamused:

Cleverdan22
2010-05-05, 12:28 PM
I still haven't done this, though I've done it with the original Star Wars trilogy, but that's not nearly as impressive.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-05, 02:05 PM
Well, the advantage of home theatre technology is thusly: bathroom breaks.
Good luck.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-05, 02:25 PM
Well, the advantage of home theatre technology is thusly: bathroom breaks.
Good luck.

Bah, bathroom breaks are for the weak :smalltongue:

skywalker
2010-05-05, 02:33 PM
I've never watched them all in a row, but I did watch all 6 Star Wars movies thrice for a week. I watched Episode 1 three times on Monday, Episode 2 three times on Tuesday, etc. It was for a paper. The second and third times were for notes.

While it may not seem as impressive, I challenge you to listen to Jar Jar, repeatedly, for 6 hours. At least there was distracting commentary the 3rd time...

Oh, and how goes it, BRC? Or have you not started yet?

arguskos
2010-05-05, 02:38 PM
Done what I call the Iron Man once: all six Star Wars films; you get a total of three bathroom breaks for the entirety of six films. Use them wisely. :smallcool:

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-05, 02:50 PM
Done it, did a mega Star Wars marathon the following day. Turned a girl from a passing nerd just getting into D&D to an uber-geek who then voluntarily went to a comic convention in full costume just weeks later.

Really? I need to do this to my wife! :smalltongue:

But I'm waiting for the extended edition on Blu-Ray.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-05, 02:53 PM
The Weak shall inherit the Mirth.:smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2010-05-05, 08:27 PM
If you want a real challenge try watching all 28 godzilla movies back to back. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-05-05, 08:31 PM

More power to you if you can.

Last time I tried something like that was when I was with my ex and we just knocked off to cuddle and then sexy-times out of sheer exhaustion from the movies.

Temotei
2010-05-05, 08:58 PM
Done what I call the Iron Man once: all six Star Wars films; you get a total of three bathroom breaks for the entirety of six films. Use them wisely. :smallcool:

Psh. I practically go three times a day. I could get by with one if I could stomach the movies themselves all in a row.

Hell Puppi
2010-05-05, 09:03 PM

My family and I do that every Christmas :smallconfused:

RdMarquis
2010-05-05, 09:23 PM

That actually sounds like fun. I'd probably never make it through myself (maybe with Rifftrax to help get through the slow parts), but it does sound fun to try. Good luck, and have some tea or coffee at hand. :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-05, 09:35 PM
Did that once with family, including themed foods, and attempted to do it a second time with friends, except it got late and we had to cut it off after 2 movies.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-05-05, 09:54 PM
I've done that. I've done the Star Wars marathon too. I've even trumped you all, and done a marathon of all 10 Star Trek films, in order (didn't include the new one, cause, uh, it wasn't out yet). That was a long day, but totally awesome in all possible ways. :smallbiggrin:

We usually do that each christmas, since the Space Network plays them all each year, but it's on christmas day so the films often just become the background sound to the other festivities.
I've not yet done a marathon with LoTR of SW but I might sometime.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-05, 10:09 PM

I've done it, several times, although I also watch an old animated version of the Hobbit.

I plan to have another marathon this Tuesday after classes end.

BRC
2010-05-06, 12:16 AM
It was DONE!

However, the placement of the Sun and the room we were in required us to take an hour or so Break before ROTK so as to avoid excessive screen glare.

Superglucose
2010-05-06, 12:19 AM
178+179+201 minutes of people walking Frodo complaining..... :smalleek:
Why I skip book 4 on most read throughs.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 05:07 AM
It was DONE!

However, the placement of the Sun and the room we were in required us to take an hour or so Break before ROTK so as to avoid excessive screen glare.

Congrats. Though there are these wonderful things called curtains that most people use to block the sun (unless you were outside or something).

The Librarian
2010-05-06, 08:51 AM
I remember two years back, me and a couple of my friends watched all three movies in a row. We started it around noon that Saturday, and were done at 11pm because of all the snack and bathroom breaks.

It. Was. Epic.:smallbiggrin:

BRC
2010-05-06, 10:01 AM
Congrats. Though there are these wonderful things called curtains that most people use to block the sun (unless you were outside or something).

We were in a common area on top of the dorm building (Enclosed but with pretty much all windows). There were no curtains provided.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 10:09 AM
We were in a common area on top of the dorm building (Enclosed but with pretty much all windows). There were no curtains provided.

Well in that case ignore me :smallredface: