PDA

View Full Version : BleachITP Reborn: Discussion & Setup Thread 5

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

nothingclever
2010-05-05, 09:38 AM
There was discussion of a reboot for the BleachITP-verse. A new beginning, more structured and with an overall lower power level. Similar deal to Ultimate Marvel.

This thread is for discussing that, to keep it out of the main thread.

Important stuff so far:

DISCUSSION THREADS
First Discussion Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145883)
Disccusion Thread 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147717)
Discussion Thread 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149850)
Discussion Thread 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150660)

OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
Character Registry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146758)
Wiki (http://bleachitp-reborn.wikidot.com/)

In the second last thread people voted and decided that there would not be a Quincy vs Shinigami war before the actual start of the story/roleplay unlike in canon. It was also decided through a vote that Quincy arrows would destroy souls as they do in canon through a vote. People are open to the possibility of future conflicts between the two factions and the Quincy learning how to purify souls with their arrows. Learning how to do so would likely be a significant plot point.

Quincy players have decided that anyone that makes a Quincy should write up a description of their family/clan's history.

Souls that are fully absorbed and become part of a hollow permanently fuse with it. When a hollow is purified the souls it absorbed are not split up. They are reborn as a single entity.

Frozen_Feet's proposed take on this:
Life Cycle of Hollows.

Canny Hollows: these are beings like Grand Fisher and Shrieker - normal Hollows that stay behind in Mortal World much longer than usual. Why? Either they still have unfinished business... or they were already crooked in life.

My reasoning is as follows: when a good Plus turns into a Hollow, it seeks to destroy its loved ones like any other Hollow. However, the mind of the good souls can't hold together once they're done with that. They lack killer's instinct, and might even feel guilt for breaking what was once dear to them in life. This is why they seek oblivion.

Evil souls, on the other hand, gain much more pleasure from tormenting living beings. Even after they've killed those they had a personal beef with, they stay in Mortal World, because their bestial desires won't let them leave. In a way, they still have something to do that defines them and stops them from losing their inviduality, even if it's only "kill all things":

Menos Grande Gillians: When a soul becomes Hollow, the first thing it does is destroy all things it held dear in mortal life. In most cases, having lost their purpose and consumed by their own loneliness, Hollows wander into Hueco Muendo, where they instinctively seek out other souls who died in the same way. Seeking embrace of sweet oblivion, they engage in cannibalistic orgy and fuse into Menos Grande Gillian. Fusion of souls is permanent; once eaten by a Gillian, a soul cannot be separated again.

Menos Grande Gillian's have no identity, only scattered fragments of negative memories and emotions. When such a Gillian is purified, its soul passes into Soul Society as essentially blank slate. However, due to originally being gestalt of multiple entities, such soul has much vaster Reiryoku than normal and is more likely to fragment into Zanpakuto spirit and Inner Hollow. Thus, a purified Menos Grande Gillian is very likely to become a shinigami.

Adjuchas and Vasto Lordes: As noted, Menos Grande Gillians are gestalt formed from people who died in the same way. Adjuchas happens when the amount of souls reaches a critical mass, causing a new personality to bloom from the fragmented memories. This being is effectively personification of its "cause of death". However, Adjuchas aren't stable, and must keep absorbing other Hollows who died the same way to increase in power. Should they fail to absorb other Hollows, starvation will make them regress, reducing them back to mindless beasts. Once Adjuchas has eaten enough souls, it evolves into a Vasto Lorde. However, this requires that they beat all of their challengers, letting none who manage to eat a bit of them to get away.

So, why can't Adjuchas who gets a bit of itself eaten become a Vasto Lorde? It's because losing to another Hollow means there's another being with same Aspect of Death who is more powerful. A Vasto Lorde is a Menos who has absorbed or proven itself to be stronger than all other Hollows with the same aspect of death. They are, effectively, anthropomorphic personifications of their Aspect of Death, and rule supreme over lost souls who died that way. As long as they remain undefeated, they are stable; if a Vasto Lorde does lose, it begins to regress like Adjuchas until it can destroy the Hollow that defeated it.

Arrancars: A Hollow can become an Arrancar in any point of its life, as long as it has a personality at the time. An Arrancar is a Hollow who learns to define itself by way other than its Aspect of Death, thus rising above its bestial instincts.

All Arrancars are stable. While an Arrancar can keep eating souls to increase in power, it no longer fuses new souls with the core of its person - the nommed soul only loses its reiryoku. A soul eaten by Arrancar is usually reborn as a new Hollow. In any case, eating Pluses or other Hollows is pretty much voluntary for an Arrancar - they mostly do so because there is no other food in Hueco Muendo. Because of this, Arrancars can't be held as inherently worse than humans or Shinigami.

Menos and Purification: Shinigami who don't remember their lives were Menos who got purified. As the identity of a Menos is effectively a new entity and is only born after death, Konso unfortunately wipes that all away. For purposes of Redemption, a soul which has gone through Oblivion of the Gillian phase is exempt from Hell's punishment. They become Shinigami because of huge amount of Reiryoku they accumulated as a Hollow.

Resurreccion and Segunda Etapa: Resurreccion is an Arrancars ability to retake its form as a Hollow, and consequently as the manifestation of its aspect. The power of an Arrancars resurreccion is in part directly proportional to how much the Arrancar's behaviour reflects its Aspect.

While achieving Segunda Etapa is only typical for Vasto Lordes who already rule over their Aspect, theoretically any Arrancar can achieve it through meticulous training and self realization.

People that want to make captain entries should write up a history for their preferred division including duties, a past captain or two and whatever else you might think important to add. It can be significantly different from canon.

Strawberryman would like input on how to revise his S.W.O.R.D. faction:Anyway. In light of some recent changes to our world, it occurs to me I also need to update S.W.O.R.D's writeup. Just so we don't have more clashes;

I'd like people's feedback/input on the new writeup for S.W.O.R.D.

So everyone can be happy. :smalltongue:

For reference, the old writeup. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8158615&postcount=811) The faction itself will be in my sig from now on.

General Originally Posted by Zarah
We need a clearly directed plot in order to keep things trucking along without getting stalled, and I had a thought of a way to help accomplish that. Basically, we come up with some central themes for this game. This isn't a revolutionary idea, and some people were already doing just that in the previous game, but I'm saying we all come up with and agree on two or three major themes for this story. Ones that will continue to appear again and again across many of the plotlines throughout the entire game. It'll help direct the plot and could potentially give some good ideas for other characters. Not to mention, it'll give much more of a satisfying payoff in the end once the themes are fully realized.

Whatever they are, they should be fairly general, so they can be adapted to as many of the plots that we have going. Of course, we can expand to include as many motifs and themes as we want in our own stories, but if we have a set of continuous themes to draw from, then it'll really help make things much more connected. Even more coherent.

Obviously, the one I'm gunning for with Kujo is "Law vs. Chaos," and Bleach in of itself has tons of themes we can pick from. "Inner Conflict" is a big one, for example. But hey, I'm open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightDisciple
I think "Law vs. Chaos" is good.

I'd like to play off of strawberryman's suggested faction, as well as off of what we've seen in our current game, and suggest something dealing with the question: How far do you go to accomplish something? Do you do evil in the name of a greater good? (Sorry. I couldn't help myself.) Or do you make sure to never compromise your principles, large and small, no matter the cost?

Not sure how to compress that into a pithy phrase, but there we go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightDisciple
The following came about in a discussion about the nature of various Shinigami and Arrancar hybrids and such.

The Hougyoku is a substance used to perfect the hybridization of hollow and shinigami. It might have been created, or not. If it has, the creators were most likely vanquished by the powers of the Seireitei and Las Noches, who then sealed the thing off into some forsaken spot of some forsaken demiplane, with only the Ghost King and the Commander General being aware of its location. Both factions had problems with mad or power-hungry Artificial Arrancar and Stable Vizards, deciding that it better to forget the thing.

Shinigami Hybrids:

Unstable Vizard
An unstable vizard is a shinigami who, through some sort of accident or other means, has gained minor hollow powers.
An unstable vizard has access to a personal hollow mask, but does not have any unique powers and his hollowfication never progresses sufficiently to make a resurreccion or segunda etapa possible, and the unstable vizard gains access only to cero and garganta.
Becoming an Unstable Vizard is dangerous and hardly ever intentional, as the name implies, most accidents that would result in an unstable vizard result in a dead shinigami or a hollow, instead. Unstable Vizards must fight off their inner hollow and hollowifcation fully, to prevent the being from overcoming them utterly, but this is a fight that never truly ends.

Stable Vizard
A stable vizard has been created through use of the hougyoku. They do not have to fight off the hollowfication or an inner hollow, which is melded into their person completely.
A stable vizard has access to all hollow powers (cero, bala, sonido, garganta and hierro), and their masks might grant them a unique power, they also have the power to achieve resurreccion and even segunda etapa.

---

Hollow Hybrids

Natural Arrancar
Natural arrancar are hollows who arrancarised themselves, or with the help of other hollows who know how to speed up the process. The arrancar gains an arrancar zanpakutou, which has no spirit, and is merely most of the arrancar's unique powers sealed into sword shape.
Natural arrancar have access to resurreccion and may develop segunda etapa. But do not have access to shinigami abilities.

Artificial Arrancar
Artificial arrancar are created through the Hougyoku. They have the potential to sunder off one of the souls that forms their colective and form it into a second zanpakutou capable of granting shikai and even bankai. Artificial arrancar have the potential to learn shinigami techniques such as Hoho, Kido and Hakuda.

---

Mortal/Hollow Hybrids

Living Vizard
A Living Vizard is a mortal with a hollow mask, the mask comes with an innate, unique power, and when on, it gives the normal boosts and hollow abilities. Living Vizards can, eventualy, achieve resurreccion. A vizard mask cannot ever be lost, and if broken it can be resummoned almost instantly.

Living Arrancar
A living arrancar gains an arrancar zanpakuto (no spirit), hollow abilities (sonido, cero, hierro, bala) and the power of resurreccion. Resurreccion relies on the zanpakuto, which, unlike the vizard mask, can be broken (in which case it needs awhile to regrow).

Hollowing
A hollowing is a mortal who gains the power to turn some body part into a hollow-like version with greater strenght, speed and resilience. The powers in this hollowlike limb can be bolstered through training, but only up to a limit. As this limit is reached the hollowing must, in order to increase her powers, absorb hollow reishi, either form the atmosphere of hueco mundo or through the cannibalization of hollows, which allows even more of the Hollowing's body to turn into hollow-like parts.
The powers of the hollowing come at a risk, for, when enough of the hollowing's body becomes hollowlike, he risks becoming trapped into the monstrous shape.

Shinigami/ Mortal Hybrids:

Substitute Shinigami
This should be pretty basic and obvious.

Living Shinigami
Living shinigami are mortals with access to a shinigami zanpakutou while still in their mortal bodies.

Sereitei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarah
Also, I'm reposting my Central 46 idea, since it got lost two OOC threads ago, and it's far more relevant here. So once again:
Anyway, we've been going on about all of this and that in the Bleach universe, but I came to the realization that we completely forgot about a little group of people hiding away in Soul Society: The Central 46. Probably because in both canon and our game, they've done next to nothing other than... Well, die. However, I felt that if we were going to go with a new setting, why not actually make them practical?

Here's what I suggest: We nominate three or four trusted players to act as the Central 46. Any of these people can post as the entire body, and essentially act as an administrative organization both in and out of character. You might think that doesn't make sense, but in actuality, the duties would cross-over a lot more than you might imagine. For example, say a player wants his character to be promoted to a captain at some point in the RPG. The Central 46 would be the ones who analyze the situation and make a decision, but they'd have to look closely at both the character and the player to see if they're ready for the responsibilities. As another example, imagine that a group of rogue Shinigami appear in the mortal world and start causing trouble. The 46 would decide whether or not Soul Society goes to war with them, and thus whether or not any of the more powerful characters get involved in the plot. Think of them like a set of unofficial moderators for the RPG, who keep things in check both ICly and OOCly.

I think it could also add a whole new layer of role-playing opportunities. Let's say a group of low-powered academy students are training in the mortal world when one classmate decides to do something reckless and ends up getting them into dire straits. They make it back to Soul Society alive and in one piece, but now they have to answer to the Central 46 and explain their actions. Having actual players behind the council instead of just mindless NPCs (or corpses) makes it a bit of a nagging threat in the back of people's minds, and could even indirectly prevent players from going overboard. Since I know that if I were sitting on the council, I would not be a gracious host.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I wanted to do something with the central 46 that wasn't "kill them all," and this seems like a pretty practical application of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray + Frozen_Feet
Gotei divisions and their tasks:
1) Administrative.
2) Ninjas.
3) Execution?
4) Healing+Hospitality.
5) Messengers.
6) Reinforcements.
7) Logistics.
8) Tactical planning
9) Recon.
10) Internal Police.
11) Fight.
12) Science.
13) Patrol.

Hollow, Arrancar and Las Noches

Originally Posted by Draken
Now, on to other matters, we need to decide how a few things work. For instance, the menos fusion. When first someone asked what happened to the souls that form a menos, we decided, back then, to have it so that they remain separate (which means when the menos is destroyed all souls are released). But I think it is best if (save exceptions) we have it so that they all permanently fuse.

This has two benefits:

1. It adds a depth of moral doubt to the destruction of an arrancar. They aren't mindless monsters like hollows, they can be argued with, and destroying them won't fre thousands of innocent souls. Just erase their memories.

2. It creates a good "soul number check". We assume that, along with the reincarnations, new souls are, indeed, created. But then... There are only means to increase the number of souls in place. None to reduce them (save awful, vile acts and stuff). The menos "singularity of souls" would be a decent means of keeping the soul population under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken
On Las Noches, I was thinking of this organization:

The King of Hollows: The King of Hollows, duh.
The Espada: Captain/Nobility Equivalents.
Fraccion: The liutenants, officers and close persons to the Espada.
Numeros: The soldiers of Las Noches.
Rest: The rest.

I perceive Las Noches as a city in Hueco Mundo, a city governed by arrancar and open to shinigami, mortal and hollow alike. A city where all beneath the artificial sun is under scrutiny of the law enforcement of the city, but where the shady alleys are hive to scum of the worst sort, criminals, traitors, traficants. A place where the Commander General and the Big Bad can look face to face and not be expected to try to kill each other on the risk of losing free access to this (mostly) safe haven.

The idea here isn't that arrancar and hollows are friendly.

The idea is that one vasto lorde decided to open his domain to other spiritual beings. Mainly because rational menos actually have very little reason to fight shinigami except spite, this is because your average menos won't ever leave Hueco Mundo unless goaded out by some other force. Menos have no interest in plus or living souls, they eat other hollows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
1. I will be assigning the Espada, most likely.

2. I will also, probably, not keep the numbers strongly tied to the power of each character.

3. The Ghost King will not be the primera.

4. My main arrancar character (King's gonna stay in the background) will be the Queen of Hollows, and she will not be an espada either. I will keep those positions for other players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
About Aspects of Death: it's established that once a Hollow has destroyed things that were dear to it, they wander into Hueco Muendo and seek out other Hollows to ease their pain / to forget about their lives. I propose they instinctively seek out others who died in the same way, and thus their suffering condenses into their Aspect. Arrancars gain power when the ascended personality realizes this and works around / with it.

Fae

Okay, I think I now have enough to bring this for discussion.

The Fae
Spoiler
The State of the Afterlife of the British Isles
Britain’s afterlife is stable – just. Long periods of internal strife between the psychopomps of Britain, known to themselves as the mac Lir or fab Lly^r, and to others as the Fae, left ample time for Hollows to develop and grow. Now, Britain faces a deep-rooted infestation of well-hidden Menos, but the Houses of the British Isles are united in their desire to rid the islands of these threats.

Annwn – the Afterlife
The British afterlife is called Annwn, a place that reflects the most untouched corners of the British Isles in its geography. The four courts of monarchs are located in a roughly central location within a few hours journey of each other by normal walking speed. Passage between Annwn and the mortal world is achieved by passing through thick banks of mist that function as the Fae equivalent of Senkaimon. The mac Lir make use of ravens, rather than butterflies, to guide them through the misty realm between Annwn and the mortal world.

The Organisation of the Fae
The British Isles are ruled by four monarchs – one each for Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales. Each of these monarchs governs passage of souls into Annwn in the country they are tied to. They each possess three Houses under their command, each ruled by a Tiarna or Pennaeth, individuals equal to the captains of Soul Society. A Tiarna or Pennaeth is directly supported by their Dara or Ail, equivalents to the Japanese Vice-Captains. The rest of the House is made up of thirteen mionn cheangal or lw rhwymo, equivalents to seated officers, plus any other Fae who are members of the House but deemed unworthy of the distinction of the upper ranks. The specialisations of each House vary depending on the current Tiarna or Pennaeth, but it is very rare for their not to be at least one House dedicated to combat in each country at any given time. The ranks of the Houses are held for life, unless the bearer of a rank forfeits it. A House member is usually given a title and land in Annwn upon forfeiting a rank. These titles are hereditary, and their bearers and their family often become the British equivalent of the Noble Houses of Soul Society.

Every year, a randomly selected twenty members of each House are chosen to leave Annwn and go out into the mortal world and deal with Hollows as they see fit. Fae on such leave from their House are known as Fianna, and are exempt from all laws of their lords until the end of their sojourn and return to Annwn.

Each monarch also rules a small Royal House. Tiarna or Pennaeth who truly distinguish themselves are promoted to this rank to serve as the monarch’s guardians and personal champions.

Alongside the House structure exists the Aois-dàna, a loose affiliation of bards and druids that serve as advisors to the lords of the Houses, historians, genealogists, legal specialists, and experts in Ealaín, the British form of kido.

Capabilities of the Fae
All abilities the Fae possess are mirrors of the abilities of shinigami. They can walk on air like their Japanese counterparts, and focus their training on Scileanna Laochra (Zanjutsu), Ystwythder (Hoho), Gan a Arm (Hakudo) and Ealaín (Kido).

--------------------------
A Note on Language
Whilst most of the terminology for the Fae is based on Celtic languages, some, particularly the specifics and names of Ealaín, were brought to Britain from elsewhere. These use Ancient Sumerian.
--------------------------

In addition, every Fae possesses a Treoir Anam, their equivalent of a zanpakutou. These possess the potential for a Rhyddhau (shikai) and a Nerthol Rhyddhau (bankai) as a zanpakutou does. The only notable difference between a Treoir Anam and a zanpakutou is that the former are quite likely to take a shape other than a sword even when sealed, spears and axes in particular being quite common, and no small number of Aois-dàna druids possessing sickles.

Ealaín
The mystic arts of Britain function identically to kido, the spells of a given path and number function the same as their foreign counterpart.

Spoiler
Silakus: “Way of Destruction”
1, Taka (Push)
4, Sagir (Pale Lightning Flash): Balor! Unlid the third eye that graces your brow, and let forth the spite of clouds!
11, Nuhuš Gír (Tamed Lightning)
31, Urinti (Blood Arrow): Balor! Unlid the third eye that graces your brow, and let forth the tide of chaos!
33, Nissati (Blue Arrow): Balor! Unlid the third eye that graces your brow, and let the west crash forth!
54, Su-luh Izi (Cleansing Flames): Balor! Unlid the third eye that graces your brow, and empower me to remove impurity from your sight!
58, Imiuru (Windstorm)
63, Anurimiriu (Threefold Storm Roar)
73, Erim Nissati (Host of Blue Arrows): Balor! Unlid the third eye that graces your brow, drown out the sun, and call forth the sundering west winds!
88, Aralimiriutil (Apocalyptic Threefold Netherworld Storm)
90, Gitil (Black Ending)
96, Ašgir Mànu (Single Sword Immolation)

Girserusu: “Path of Shielding Arts”
1, Šaga (Captive)
4, Sigulul (Golden Chain)
8, Tamšen (Reflecting Mirror)
9, Eda (Paralysis): Balor! Lid your third eye, call up the hounds of Annwn, and grace us with the living death!
21, Urinimi (Blood Cloud)
26, Zah Bu (Hiding Light): Balor! Lid your third eye, turn your gaze away, and put the sun in their eyes!
30, Ešhu Ulul (Three-Bird Restraint)
37, Ulgu (Star Net)
39, Senbu (Shielding Light): Balor! Lid your third eye, turn your gaze to me, and guard me with thine wrath!
58, Igisar Lasar (Seeing the World, Knowing All): Balor! Lid your third eye, extend your sight forth, whisper in my ear, and let me see thine sight! The sun and moon are my eyes, the trembling ground my ear!
61, Asni E-kurbu (Six-Body Prison of Light): Balor! Lid your third eye, gift the sun unto to me, and let its halo trap them!
62, Ûšukur (Hundred Spear Fence)
63, Gisigulul (Locking Golden Chain)
73, Išibalsig (Rotated Mountain Wall)
75, Aš Barzilba-an (Five Adamant Pillars)
77, Kadigir (Mouth of the Gods): Balor! Lid your third eye, and gift me with your voice! The clouds are as my mouth, and the skies are as my lungs!
81, Barù-la (Splitting Nothingness)

Geasa
Unlike shinigami, the Fae bear an additional restraint upon their power: geasa (sing. geis). These are taboos for the Fae in question that they must not commit, or lose access to spiritual power or suffer some other misfortune. Anyone can bring a geasa on a Fae, though the Fae in question must willingly accept it. Treoir Anam spirits often require their wielder to agree to a geis before granting Rhyddhau or Nerthol Rhyddhau. They also pay a part in Fae society, geasa often being included in oaths to one’s lord or in marriage vows.

Samsara

Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
As far as the plot is concerned. Here is my contribution, or at least, hopefully. The Samsara plot, and reasoning for their dark activity.

As much as I personally loathe the name of our new city, I figured it could be incorporated into the plot. With a little brain storming with Callos, and a look at the set up of the new game, I’ve noticed there are –a lot- of spiritually aware children. This led to me thinking –why- that might be the case. Its not a normal occurrence. So, here me out.

Phoenix Town () is a center of reincarnation, both out going and inbound to the spiritual world. This inundates the area with spirit particles, thus leading to the relatively high number of the spiritually aware. The Samsara’s main plot in the first game, and the carry over here, is to rebalance the passage of souls, destroying the Valley of Screams, and removing the Blanks from the Cycle of Reincarnation. Thus fixing the balance of the spiritual world. To do this, their plot is to flood the city with Blanks, and over time detonate them once a certain number of highly aware mortal souls are collected. This puts them in direct conflict with the mortal characters for several reasons.

1. The humans –are- those souls, thus making them prime targets for the Samsara to go after.
2. This will blow up the city, killing off the whole area. That’s bad for those living inside the city, with family and friends. Making this a plot that –all- mortal characters can get involved in early on.

Well, that’s my idea for the Samsara plot. Innis tested, Callos Approved. Now, to the playground, think it’ll work?
Quote:
The Samsara

Leadership: “The Boss”
Second in Command: Go Nagi
Mortal World Relations:

Primary Grunt Force: Blanks (Augmented Blanks)
Physical Location: The Valley of Screams

Overview: The Cycle of Reincarnation is not a simple or perfect thing. Souls traveling between the worlds sometimes fragment, their memories fading into some unknown location, the soul falling into a realm that should never exist. These are the blanks, souls without memories, lost forever from the Cycle of Reincarnation, unable to return for they cannot remember how. It is unknown how, but when a number of these memory less shells accumulate, a separate realm, the Valley of Screams, is created to house them. This real, lies between Soul Society and the Mortal World. But the memories of these creatures are not destroyed or lost forever. The swirling mass of memories and experience’s coalesces into an object known as the Memory Rosary, the accumulation of all memories lost between Reincarnation and the journey there in.

The Samsara

The Samsara are akin to Arrancar in that they are an artificial creation, Blanks granted the copies of memories from the Rosary itself. The likeness between themselves, Shimigami, and Arrancar end at this small analogy, not truly meant to exist the Samsara are the thinking force behind the Valley of Screams, the heralds of those cast out by an imperfect system.

Standard Powers of the Samsara
Blank Manipulation: Every member of the Samsara is capable of utilizing Blanks for various purposes. They may duplicate Kido (if their memories contain such information), create weapons or simple items, duplicate flashstep or sonido (again based purely on their memories), or fly. Samsara may also heal with the power of the Blanks, capable of restoring even lost limbs if given proper time and concentration.

Individual Powers

The powers of a Samsara depends entirely on his or her memories, granting each a highly individualized level of capabilities and powers.

What this is, is a simple dolling up of what seems to be the first Villian team of the Reborn game. We're looking for member's currently. So, if anyone's interested, roll a character up and lets see where it goes :smallwink:

Mortals

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
...Okay, well, I assume because there was little reaction it would help if I actually explained what the faction I was planning is.

It's more or less like the Men In Black... It's a multi-national secret organization that deploys agents to clean up after the various mishaps that Soul Reapers can't. As such, the various Soul Reaper organizations usually leave them well enough alone.

...That's their cover op, though. What they are really trying to do is make Mortals able to fend for themselves, and be self-sufficient on the matters of the spiritual. Which meshed pretty well with Ran's goal during the last cycle... but, that's an aside. They track and recruit various spiritual humans: Quincies (in fact that may possibly be a large base of their agents), Living Vizards, various anomalies, just plain spiritually aware humans, or maybe even Bount.

...As for why they may be considered villainous or antagonistic to the Enclave is their willingness to do literally anything to achieve their ends; assassinations, theft... etc. And it's likely that the various runes they possess will be like their Holy Grail. For reasons I don't feel like fully explaining, I would like to keep some secrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
Well, I was under the assumption that Phoenix Town was going to be another spiritual hot spot, which explains why so many mortals are developing their own powers. Of course, the introduction of outside forces will help as a catalyst, but it's mostly just the fact of where the people live more than anything. The same abundance of spiritual power in the city would also explain why there might be various factions vying for power in the region even from the beginning.

Also, about the idea of the cold war turning hot, I like that plan. I like it a lot. It fits perfectly with Kujo's intentions, and is more or less what I was planning to work toward anyway, so I'm giving it a hearty thumbs up.
Quote:
Well, here is what I was thinking for the over all "History". Its diluted yes, and I'll extrapolate more on it when I can sit down and really pound it out.

Spoiler
The Quincy Bloodlines, as they were, are connected to the ancient Ninja Clans of the Sengoku Jidai, now far removed and interbred with the general populace of Japan, the Quincy themselves would retain lasting familial alliances, hatreds and pacts with other blood lines

Translators: Word Reference (http://www.wordreference.com/) is a pretty good one for English to Spanish. Just don't translate phrases with it.

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 09:41 AM
I admit, I'm... pretty tired and discouraged about all the various reactions that Akemi has incurred. At this point, I'm really wondering if I should scrap the entire concept and try to forget about it.

Thoughts? Am I taking it all a bit too hard?

CMOTDibbler
2010-05-05, 09:47 AM
I can almost guarantee you that your character hasn't gotten as much criticism as Righty's. Although, I haven't been on in a few days...

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 09:49 AM
I can almost guarantee you that your character hasn't gotten as much criticism as Righty's. Although, I haven't been on in a few days......And that's relevant...how exactly?:smallconfused:

CMOTDibbler
2010-05-05, 09:51 AM
...And that's relevant...how exactly?:smallconfused:

In that I don't think Vael should scrap her idea just yet?

Kuroimaken
2010-05-05, 09:52 AM
I seem to recall a similar argument about Kazuma when I first got on.

Boo
2010-05-05, 10:08 AM
Hmm... this weekend I'll be able to finish up the write-up and my character's history (it's kinda long already, but only about half-way finished).

Kasanip
2010-05-05, 10:37 AM
I admit, I'm... pretty tired and discouraged about all the various reactions that Akemi has incurred. At this point, I'm really wondering if I should scrap the entire concept and try to forget about it.

Thoughts? Am I taking it all a bit too hard?

I think she is an interesting character.

Maybe there are concerns with number of Urahara characters, but I think in IC it will be ok, since we can talk and decide such things at such times.

I think my only concern is the powerful shikai. I think 'Weight of Sin' is powerful enough for her shikai, and if just this, it makes her bankai more special and majestic.

Otherwise, since 'theme' was explained, I think I understand your idea better. :smallredface:

If the shikai suggestion is acceptable (or if you have other thought?), I think it should be okay. Thank you for patience :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 10:39 AM
Well, I understand where you're coming from, but my concern is that her ability will never be seen, since Bankai basically means... death for her.

The Librarian
2010-05-05, 10:45 AM
...And that's relevant...how exactly?:smallconfused:

Because you and the other people I'm mind-blanking on at the moment werea bunch of souless, brutal, character killers supplying me with strong, but honest criticism and showed me the errors on my character.

Vael, when the people on here started suggesting to take away parts of my character that I really loved, (which in retrospect were completely necessary) I had almost been ready to just drop the character completely. Twice!

I endured a lot of losses in my characters power, but in the end I was fairly satisfied with the result. I would hate to see someone just go and drop his/her character because of too much criticism about it. The result can still be good.:smallwink:

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 10:50 AM
Well, I understand where you're coming from, but my concern is that her ability will never be seen, since Bankai basically means... death for her.

Let me clarify this.

I don't mind make the cleansing ability rarer and harder to use in some way at all, and if you think that is how it should be done, I'll do it.
But making it her Bankai, as is... well, it means that if I want the character to survive, she can't use her hallmark, entire theme defining ability.

So, you can see how this would give me a bit of a dilemma.

The Librarian
2010-05-05, 11:01 AM
Let me clarify this.

I don't mind make the cleansing ability rarer and harder to use in some way at all, and if you think that is how it should be done, I'll do it.
But making it her Bankai, as is... well, it means that if I want the character to survive, she can't use her hallmark, entire theme defining ability.

Hmmm...I see. So your bankai is essentially a Last Resort move. I don't think I hold a place to really appropriately question your bankai having not read it yet, but I will say that a suicide-homicide-type bankai while is a pretty unique idea, probably, wouldn't be best for this game.

I'll respond with possible fixes when I read your character.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 11:03 AM
It occurs to me, what with the rumblings about starting Reborn regardless of where the Current BleachITP is, that I should maybe try to give everyone a general picture.

So. We're currently in the very final stages of the current "mini-arc", with a couple of "finisher fights" currently ongoing. Hopefully, we can get those done in the next day or two.

At that point, we'll be free to move to the final act. I can't promise an exact time frame on it. I can promise I will do my best (and hopefully others will as well) to resolve that plot in a timely manner, while still letting us tell the end of the story. That said...I doubt we can do this in the space of a single week. Perhaps a couple, quite possibly more. But again, I (and hopefully others) will do my best to keep things running smoothly and briskly over there.

Kasanip
2010-05-05, 11:05 AM
Let me clarify this.

I understand.

If she is 'Exile Shinigami' like Urahara, is she often trying to use her skill? It being sealed, and also trying to be hidden, I thought maybe she would not use it often. =\

Maybe if it is a shikai ability that must be activated also (so not 'always using in shikai' - like 'Weight of Sin' is). With such a change, it can be more exhausting and dangerous to her, but maybe also helps to keep it more rare?

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 11:10 AM
Your wording is somewhat confusing, but I think your suggestion is to make Cleanse an ability that she has to activate manually (like she does with Weight of Sin), and thus, even if she uses Shikai, she has to expend extra effort to gain any benefits whatsoever from the release.

Is that right?

Kasanip
2010-05-05, 11:14 AM
Your wording is somewhat confusing, but I think your suggestion is to make Cleanse an ability that she has to activate manually (like she does with Weight of Sin), and thus, even if she uses Shikai, she has to expend extra effort to gain any benefits whatsoever from the release.

Is that right?

I'm sorry for the confusion :smallfrown:

I think I tried to say what you explained. But make 'Weight of Sin' the 'normal' shikai power (so she releases and can use it, but must 'expend extra effort to gain any benefits for 'Cleanse')

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 11:15 AM
Oh, so reverse them from how they are now.

Okay, I'll do that.

Kasanip
2010-05-05, 11:30 AM
Oh, so reverse them from how they are now.

Okay, I'll do that.

Thank you for patience :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 11:33 AM
Thank you for patience :smallsmile:

No problem.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go edit Akemi to get everything that was talked about solidified.

Then I am going to sacrifice a goat in the hopes of appeasing the character devouring blood lust of OOC, while staying a good distance away, somewhere safe. Like within a nuclear bunker in the Himalayas.

The Librarian
2010-05-05, 11:36 AM
I did just read your character bio Vael.

To be honest, I think Akemi is pretty awesome. I like here shikai powers, her character personality, and the unique case of her losing part of her total spiritual pressure.

I hope you stick to this character.

Kuroimaken
2010-05-05, 11:39 AM
Don't forget the deodorizer.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 11:55 AM
No problem.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go edit Akemi to get everything that was talked about solidified.

Then I am going to sacrifice a goat in the hopes of appeasing the character devouring blood lust of OOC, while staying a good distance away, somewhere safe. Like within a nuclear bunker in the Himalayas.

That should buy you some time. :smallwink:

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 12:35 PM
Ryu Chishuu

Height: 6’

Reiatsu: Dark Green

Weight: 150 lb

Appearance: is rather tall with dark green eye’s, long hair pulled back into a braid and is never seen without his glasses, though they often hang at the edge of his nose. Often seen wearing his school uniform, he makes a point to dress informally in jeans and t-shirts with a simple hoody outside of school. He is an adamant smoker; almost always seem with a cigarette pressed between his lips.

Personality: has always been a giver, though often times to a fault. He easily gets carried away on what he feels is “Right”, and adamantly fights for such ideal’s to the point of exhaustion. This has given him a slight reputation as a delinquent; often times going against his peer’s and elders when he views their opinion’s as wrong.

Back-story: Chishuu always desired a blade, something that could help him defend what he thought needed defending, a weapon that could protect everything he cherished and held dear. An atypical high school boy, Chishuu spent much of his time studying on his own outside of school, participating in club activities only when forced. Chishuu’s family owns a small sake brewing company in town, a business Chishu has no desire to inherit once it is his time to do so. Chishuu had always been able to see vague outlines and shapes of spirits and hollows, at an early age concluding they were simply figments of his imagination. His parents, worried for their son’s eyesight quickly bought him a pair of glasses in hopes to avert any further “damage” to his eyes.

And fate seems to have aided Chishuu in this desire, dropping the power he so desperately sought on his lap in a rather unforeseen way. During a long day of avoiding school, Chishuu happened on a rather wounded Shinigami. Figuring it was a cosplayer who had been struck by a car, he swiftly called the police. When the police arrived, they saw no sign of the cosplayer, and much to the dismay of Chishuu threatened to arrest him before leaving. Enraged and deeply confused, Chishuu attempted to help the Shinigami in any way he could, but to no avail, as the Shinigami quickly passed over, investing the remaining spiritual power he had into Chishuu for his attempted aid. Chishuu returned home, deeply troubled by the day’s events.

But things only became stranger, as a sword mysteriously manifested in his bed over night, a strange beast tearing into his home in an attempt to kill him. After suffering a serious wound by the hands of the Hollow, Chishu’s spirit was removed from his body. Finding himself still quite alive, though oddly chained to some unforeseen space, Chishuu fought with all his might to protect his home and family, vanquishing the beast. His body was rushed to the hospital, luckily saving his life, though his spirit was unable to return to his body. He was quickly found by a rogue Shinigami, and had his Shinigami abilities cemented, and finally being able to return to his body, much to the joy and relief of his parents.

Zanpakuto: 映姫 Hayuki'' – Hayuki appears as a typical wakazashi, it has no outwardly unique characteristics.

To Come Later

Shikia: Reflect, Hayuki! Hayuki’s shikai is a permanent release, turning the otherwise normal wakizashi into a large hand mirror. The mirror itself is quite well created, made from ebony wood and silver inlay, in all affects a stately masterpiece of construction. It is unusable as a fighting weapon due to its delicate nature.

Reflect and show their true self, Hayuki!: This power allows Chishuu to show an ally their reflection in the mirror, granting them a glimpse of their true self. This power grants the viewer a boost in one attribute they wish they were stronger in, be it hand to hand combat, kido or any other skill they might posses. This effect lasts for a rather long duration, lasting in upwards to twenty minutes.

Reflect Hayuki! And show our true selves!: The other ability of, Hayuki creates a large bubble around Chishuu that has a mirrored surface. After several seconds, it bursts with a loud pop, revealing Chishuu and the spirit of Hayuki, who has manifested near Chishuu himself. This move is a battle of wills between Chishuu and Hayuki, who ever win’s during their time in the bubble becomes “The Royal” and the other becomes the “Samurai”. The Royal appears in stately clothing, with a mirror on their person, the other appearing in traditional samurai armor. The Royal must remain holding the mirror, and can take little action outside of dodging, or break the effect.

Princess and Samurai: In this mode, Chishuu appears dressed in dark red lacquered armor, missing a helmet, his hair allowed to hang free of its normal braid. In this form, Chishuu wields a finely crafted katana, his speed gaining a considerable boost, while his armor increases his ability to withstand blows. Dressed in her robes, Hayuki will probably order Chishuu to do things, like protect others (or herself). Though her tone may be more commanding, she is more graceful and kind-spirited who cares for her samurai.

Samurai and Prince: Chishuu wears the traditional sokutai and high geta, the mirror clutched in his left hand in place of his shaku. In beautiful armor and holding a naginata (in same style as the sword Chishuu would wield), Hayuki is the loyal samurai to her prince. Being more energetic, she carries out Chishuu's commands

映姫 'Hayuki'
Type: Zanpakutou spirit of Ryuu Chishuu

Appearance/Personality:While Chishuu maybe could be said to be a 'giver,' Hayuki is a 'taker.'

She is very willing to speak annoyingly to Chishuu, who is 'inexperienced' and 'unable to use me well!' So often maybe she tries to act like a master (but maybe Chishuu won't be easily fooled). She will be also quite embarrassed and blame Chishuu for the permanent Shikai state of being a mirror. Though she does not mind such a treasureable item, because Chishuu does not value a mirror so much, it annoys her.

'Why must you complain?! It is your fault! I am part of your soul, and you secretly wished for such a tool! Control your desires!'
Such complaint’s force Chishuu to appease his spirit, by either quickly changing the subject, or finding something else to direct her ire towards, often his smoking or delinquent behavior.

Of course she really does share his great passion for 'doing right.' So she berates him for his bad habits, but very much likes his noble side (even if she tries to hide such a feeling). A prince-like and noble master would be her secret desires of Chishuu. Maybe in some ways this is like Chishuu's own desires? She knows his potential maybe better than him, so is disappointed with his failure, but always pushing him to be better.
Coming and going of berating and obeying, she is very much 'tsundere.'

Kasa and I remade the character, let us know what you all think.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 12:53 PM
First, the spoiler button is friendly and easy to use.:smallwink:

Second...Let me see if I have the right of it. His shikai (a mirror, which is always released) can either give a moderate boost to one particular area of an ally's abilities...Or gives Chishuu armor and a sword / summons his spirit to fight for him?

Really, that second ability, while interesting, is pretty potent on its own; it also feels like an oddly matched set of abilities. One ability suggests he might be a "buffer/debuffer", while the other is a more traditional "straight combat boost". With, apparently, the "twist" being who's "calling the shots".

Do I have the right of it?

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 12:59 PM
The theme is actually reflecting what people see themselves as in Shikai, while showing the real self in bankai, at least the latter bit is what Kasa and I have discussed at this point. The other theme with the character (and it over laps with his second power in shikai) is as you've said, which one is really in control and which one is the "Knight"

So, while they do seem somewhat disjointed, they are both tied by the central theme of the weapon.

But other then that, yes you have it correct.

Edit: There's actually alot of theme's and such going on with Chishuu and his zanpakuto, but most of the rest are fairly non-combat specific

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 01:04 PM
So, are you planning for this character to develop bankai at some point in the story?

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 01:09 PM
Perhaps? Perhaps not, thats for the story to tell. He also won't be starting out with his shikai either.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 01:14 PM
Perhaps? Perhaps not, thats for the story to tell. He also won't be starting out with his shikai either.

You understand, of course, that the question was asked for the purpose of balance and such.

Also, regarding the shikai: Can the "Prince" or "Princess" character do anything beyond order the "Samurai" around? As in, can they still boost allies and so forth? Do they possess anything else, ability wise? As in, could Chisuu still use his non-sword-specific Shinigami abilities?

Edit: And again, spoiler tags are friendly and easy now. :smallwink:

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 01:15 PM
Anyone with the mirror could boost allies. As for the rest, anything beyond moving and commanding is to much. So no kido etc for Chishuu while he's the prince. Its intended that the Samurai protects who ever is the "Royal".

And the answer is still, I don't know. The intent is yes, he'll be getting bankai.

Edit: And as I've said in the past, I have a hard enough time getting people to review my stuff when its in plain sight. Having to resort to more or less begging and posting the character in upwards to 6-7 times...spoiler's won't do anything but cause more issues. So, while it may be a little selfish, I'd prefer not having people skip the character completly 10 times just because they missed it because it was put in a spoiler.

AmberVael
2010-05-05, 01:35 PM
Okay, here is Akemi, revised.

The explanation of her Cleanse ability is really long now but essentially the idea is this:

She strikes them with her sword. This activates an internal conflict, which I don't want to describe in detai, since I want each person to take license with it. I picture it being similar to battling with an Inner Hollow (in terms of how it could be represented). They don't necessarily realize that this conflict is occurring or get affected by externally. The conflict begins and ends pretty quickly, and Akemi soon learns whether or not they are willing to repent of sins. If they are, she can absorb the sins with Sin Eater, usually through combat (as it is mostly for use against Hollows). Each time she absorbs their sin she gets a bit of backlash from it and needs to use some spiritual power to absorb it.

(I thought Kasanip's concern was valid, and so I was going to use her idea wholesale... but then I realized that if Akemi DID manage to regain her spiritual power at some point, Cleanse would just become easy for her to obtain. So I made it use spiritual energy and have a standard backlash, so that no matter what, she suffers from using it. Mercy is easier on her, obviously, but it's a Bankai).

Once she has absorbed all their sin, she can fight them normally, and by killing a Hollow with her Zanpakutō, she sends them to Soul Society, as it would normally happen.

If she somehow manages to get a chance to activate this ability without combat, she can essentially execute someone willing with it and send them straight on to Soul Society and absolve their sins in one go. The main idea behind this is that if there is someone willing... slashing them a ton of times won't really be all that hard, and it seems more stylish (and not unbalanced) to have them be able to take it in a single, executing blow.

...jeez, that was supposed to be a summary for someone who would think the normal description is too long, but it doesn't seem a whole lot better. It's just really complex, I guess.

Akemi Aoki, Exiled Shinigami
Name: Akemi Aoki
Height: 5'4"
Affiliation/Type: Exiled Shinigami
Speech Color: #882288

Appearance: No longer part of Soul Society, Akemi is devoid of all the typical trappings of a Shinigami, even down to her Zanpakutō. Instead, Akemi appears as a young woman- definitely old enough to be out of school, but youthful. In terms of clothing, she favors black and purple, with a rather goth or punkish theme. She doesn't wear the style heavily, however, and manages to pull it off with a flair that makes her seem more zany than anything else. Typically, she wears t-shirts, and favors bracelets, arm bands, and arm warmers. She might have on one or more belts, and black pants. Due to her love of spontaneous activities and parkour, Akemi tends not to wear dresses or skirts, as they tend to get in the way and hamper her movement.

If it weren't for her clothing choice and style, Akemi would be distinctly average. Her plain, straight black hair has a vivid dyed purple streak through it to add interest, while she keeps a variety of sunglasses to hide her eyes. To deal with her lack of curves, Akemi relies on tighter fitting clothing, or just style and color to draw attention away from it.

Personality: Akemi deeply appreciates life and what it has to offer her, enjoying every chance she gets to live just a little more. She cares less about societal expectations and more about what she- and others- desire. Akemi is also very kind and caring, though at first glance, she might seem like a roguish mischief maker, which can earn her the ire of authority figures... but it isn't so much that she disrespects rules as it is that she cares about other things- people, that is- far more. If she really causes harm by her disrespect somehow, she will be sure to try and make amends for it.

While she often goes out to enjoy herself, she can be introspective and philosophical as well, spending time to fully understand new ideas and different view points. It may not be outwardly obvious though, as she often thinks at the same time as she performs other activities (such as parkour or exercise).

One of Akemi's most pervasive beliefs and ideas is her faith in the goodness of others. This is not to say she is wholly naive and innocent- she is well aware of all the terrible things that people can do. However, she is certain that it is possible for even the most hardened hearts to find remorse and repentance, even if her powers cannot help them accomplish it. She is willing to risk herself to help others atone, though she will not be foolhardy or careless with others to try and accomplish such, as she puts the well being of others first. Usually, when her cleansing powers fail, she will accept that sending a Hollow on to Hell is the best option available to her, but that doesn't mean she likes the conclusion, no matter the truth of it.

All in all, Akemi is a fairly complex and experienced person. Each time someone thinks they know her, she unfolds a little further.

History: Akemi was once one of the most skilled Shinigami in Soul Society. Though her spiritual energy was not the most potent, Akemi's focus and training allowed her to compete where all sense said she should fail. Her precision and long practice allowed her to act as if her power were far greater than it was, and eventually she even achieved the position of Vice Commander in the Kidō Corps.

Yet, Akemi was not loved among the Shinigami, or even in the mortal world. Her philosophies and abilities earned her many enemies. With the power of her Shikai, she purified even the Hollows who would be condemned to Hell, and she openly criticized many aspects of Soul Society law and government.

Eventually, this led to her downfall. A number of her foes joined forces against her, notably among them a Quincy, who used his techniques in an attempt to seal her spiritual energy away. As Akemi relied more on skill than anything else, such an assault hampered her less than expected, and she managed to escape before her energy was fully sealed, and before she was killed.

Knowing she could not go back to Soul Society, Akemi hid herself in the mortal world, concealing her history and what powers she had left. There, she seeks to live as best as she can in her current state.

Capabilities

Non-Spiritual Abilities:
Akemi is superbly skilled at melee combat, both with and without use of a sword. Further, she is an accomplished traceuse and free runner.
Lastly, she has a great love of board games, though she has not dedicated quite the same time to them as she has other, more vital skills.

Sealed Spiritual Power:
While Akemi's spiritual power would normally be at average level, the sealing technique used against her cuts this down to at least 20% of what it once was.
Though Akemi has developed a technique where she can break the seal and achieve higher power, but the seal is her own body. The implications of this is that even breaking the seal partially gives her terrible wounds (at minimum)- and if she were ever to try a powerful technique (such as Bankai or advanced Kidō), she would certainly die shortly after its completion.
Due to the danger, even looming defeat will not necessarily be enough to inspire Akemi to unleash her former power.

Kidō:
Former Vice Commander, Akemi's Kidō technique is her only skill that surpasses her ability at swordplay. However, due to her loss of spiritual energy, using Kido has become frustratingly difficult for her ever since her self imposed exile.
While she knows all the precision required to pull off Kidō without chants and in double incantation, her low spiritual power means that if she utilizes them, she can only get the most basic and lowest power of effects (and they are certainly not effective in a direct, combative effort).
Most of Akemi's remaining power rests in her use of Bakudō, which she always most skilled at. When using the incantations, she can manage them at a slightly below average level. Particularly, she utilizes Kyokko to hide her Zanpakutō so she can carry it around on a day to day basis without it being spotted.

Hohō:
Akemi was never particularly skilled at Hohō, and with her spiritual power sealed, she relies on her natural skill and speed almost exclusively, using Hohō only when she has no other resort. Due to low spiritual power, using it for too long can exhaust her, and she cannot maintain any other powers while using it.

Zanpakutō: Sin Eater
Sin Eater is a slender kodachi, unremarkable until it is released.Shikai: Catharsis
When released, Sin Eater becomes jet black, giving off a terrible Reiatsu that feels like a hundred claws scraping at one's very soul and haunting voices whispering in their ears.

Special Ability: Weight of Sin
When Sin Eater is released, the Reiatsu and aura of it surrounds Akemi and her opponents. Vague phantoms, materialize from within the tainted area, hounding Akemi's enemies, striking at them, hindering their movements, or attempting to distract or scare them.
Attacking the phantoms accomplishes nothing, as they are mostly insubstantial.
These phantoms typically are not powerful enough to leave more than moderate blows, or hold down an opponent for significant periods of time.

Special Ability: Cleanse
The second ability of Sin Eater's Shikai is Cleansing. When utilizing this ability, Akemi has the power to cause subconscious conflict within a Hollow or Plus that would otherwise be bound to Hell when she strikes it with her Zanpakutō. This conflict does not affect their outward power or strength of will as it relates to combat, but it is the catalyst for them to begin questioning the crimes and sins they have committed (even though they may not realize it). This ability can awaken the conscience of even the most insane and evil beings, but it cannot create remorse and repentance from nothing: it only grants a fair chance for the target to understand and desire to atone for their crimes. The nature of this internal conflict differs from entity to entity.

Once the conflict is resolved, Sin Eater can absorb their sins, allowing the target to go to Soul Society instead of Heaven. However, to absorb their sins, Sin Eater must contact the target with its edge, usually for an extended period. If a subject recognizes their sin, repents, and accepts the cleansing of Sin Eater, they may have their sins completely absorbed in a method that looks like (and probably hurts as much as) ritual execution.

In many entities, particularly with Hollows, even the successful use of this ability does not instantly manifest itself in their behavior. Hollows and like entities, due to their nature, will likely not even recognize the repentance and nature within them, continuing to act on their maddened urges. When the internal conflict is resolved, Akemi senses it through either a resonance (if it was successful) or dissonance (if it was unsuccessful) in their Reiatsu with her Sin Eater. If the conflict was resolved successfully, she may absorb their sins by striking them with Sin Eater in combat. Once she has scored enough hits (the amount of which is dependent on the level of evil of the being), she may send them to Soul Society with her Zanpakutō (either Konso, if they stop fighting for some reason, or by executing them with her Zanpakutō, as is done with most Hollows).

Absorbing the sin of other entities is an intense and draining experience, both mentally and physically. Not only will it likely prove necessary for Akemi to partially break her seal to accomplish Cleansing, but even if she were to restore her power, it would still prove tiring and traumatic to use.

Bankai: Absolution
With her power sealed, Akemi is incapable of using Bankai, even if she partially breaks the seal. If she fully breaks her seal (which will incur the consequences noted in the Sealed Spiritual Power section), she will be able to use Bankai again.

When she uses her Bankai, the black taint along Sin Eater sloughs away, leaving behind a brilliant white blade.

Special Ability: Storm of Sin
The Reiatsu and aura of Weight of Sin are increased dramatically as the taint of her sword dissolves into them. Opponents near her will have to struggle against countless grasping hands and slashing claws or weapons from the phantoms.
Each phantom also becomes much more distinct, showing the features of one of those successfully affected by either Cleanse or Mercy. They may even retain the smallest fragment of their power and personality, though the former is rare.

Special Ability: Mercy
Any struck by Akemi's sword while she is using Bankai instantly experiences an increased form of Cleanse, which absolves the sins of all but the most corrupted and unrepentant in a single blow.
Further, each strike will cause the subject to recall one or more memories of significance related to any sins they may have committed (whether Mercy absolves them of sins or not). This may disorient the target for a very short duration (long enough for Akemi to set up, but not complete, a second attack), though after experiencing the sensation one or more times, they may derive a way to ignore or lessen the effect.

On each strike that absolves sins, Akemi experiences the same disorientation as her enemy. However, once their sins have been absorbed, she no longer feels this disorientation. This replaces the negative effects of Cleansing.

So, does it all look good now?

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 01:57 PM
Okay, here is Akemi, revised.

The explanation of her Cleanse ability is really long now but essentially the idea is this:

She strikes them with her sword. This activates an internal conflict, which I don't want to describe in detai, since I want each person to take license with it. I picture it being similar to battling with an Inner Hollow (in terms of how it could be represented). They don't necessarily realize that this conflict is occurring or get affected by externally. The conflict begins and ends pretty quickly, and Akemi soon learns whether or not they are willing to repent of sins. If they are, she can absorb the sins with Sin Eater, usually through combat (as it is mostly for use against Hollows). Each time she absorbs their sin she gets a bit of backlash from it and needs to use some spiritual power to absorb it.

(I thought Kasanip's concern was valid, and so I was going to use her idea wholesale... but then I realized that if Akemi DID manage to regain her spiritual power at some point, Cleanse would just become easy for her to obtain. So I made it use spiritual energy and have a standard backlash, so that no matter what, she suffers from using it. Mercy is easier on her, obviously, but it's a Bankai).

Once she has absorbed all their sin, she can fight them normally, and by killing a Hollow with her Zanpakutō, she sends them to Soul Society, as it would normally happen.

If she somehow manages to get a chance to activate this ability without combat, she can essentially execute someone willing with it and send them straight on to Soul Society and absolve their sins in one go. The main idea behind this is that if there is someone willing... slashing them a ton of times won't really be all that hard, and it seems more stylish (and not unbalanced) to have them be able to take it in a single, executing blow.

...jeez, that was supposed to be a summary for someone who would think the normal description is too long, but it doesn't seem a whole lot better. It's just really complex, I guess.

Akemi Aoki, Exiled Shinigami
Name: Akemi Aoki
Height: 5'4"
Affiliation/Type: Exiled Shinigami
Speech Color: #882288

Appearance: No longer part of Soul Society, Akemi is devoid of all the typical trappings of a Shinigami, even down to her Zanpakutō. Instead, Akemi appears as a young woman- definitely old enough to be out of school, but youthful. In terms of clothing, she favors black and purple, with a rather goth or punkish theme. She doesn't wear the style heavily, however, and manages to pull it off with a flair that makes her seem more zany than anything else. Typically, she wears t-shirts, and favors bracelets, arm bands, and arm warmers. She might have on one or more belts, and black pants. Due to her love of spontaneous activities and parkour, Akemi tends not to wear dresses or skirts, as they tend to get in the way and hamper her movement.

If it weren't for her clothing choice and style, Akemi would be distinctly average. Her plain, straight black hair has a vivid dyed purple streak through it to add interest, while she keeps a variety of sunglasses to hide her eyes. To deal with her lack of curves, Akemi relies on tighter fitting clothing, or just style and color to draw attention away from it.

Personality: Akemi deeply appreciates life and what it has to offer her, enjoying every chance she gets to live just a little more. She cares less about societal expectations and more about what she- and others- desire. Akemi is also very kind and caring, though at first glance, she might seem like a roguish mischief maker, which can earn her the ire of authority figures... but it isn't so much that she disrespects rules as it is that she cares about other things- people, that is- far more. If she really causes harm by her disrespect somehow, she will be sure to try and make amends for it.

While she often goes out to enjoy herself, she can be introspective and philosophical as well, spending time to fully understand new ideas and different view points. It may not be outwardly obvious though, as she often thinks at the same time as she performs other activities (such as parkour or exercise).

One of Akemi's most pervasive beliefs and ideas is her faith in the goodness of others. This is not to say she is wholly naive and innocent- she is well aware of all the terrible things that people can do. However, she is certain that it is possible for even the most hardened hearts to find remorse and repentance, even if her powers cannot help them accomplish it. She is willing to risk herself to help others atone, though she will not be foolhardy or careless with others to try and accomplish such, as she puts the well being of others first. Usually, when her cleansing powers fail, she will accept that sending a Hollow on to Hell is the best option available to her, but that doesn't mean she likes the conclusion, no matter the truth of it.

All in all, Akemi is a fairly complex and experienced person. Each time someone thinks they know her, she unfolds a little further.

History: Akemi was once one of the most skilled Shinigami in Soul Society. Though her spiritual energy was not the most potent, Akemi's focus and training allowed her to compete where all sense said she should fail. Her precision and long practice allowed her to act as if her power were far greater than it was, and eventually she even achieved the position of Vice Commander in the Kidō Corps.

Yet, Akemi was not loved among the Shinigami, or even in the mortal world. Her philosophies and abilities earned her many enemies. With the power of her Shikai, she purified even the Hollows who would be condemned to Hell, and she openly criticized many aspects of Soul Society law and government.

Eventually, this led to her downfall. A number of her foes joined forces against her, notably among them a Quincy, who used his techniques in an attempt to seal her spiritual energy away. As Akemi relied more on skill than anything else, such an assault hampered her less than expected, and she managed to escape before her energy was fully sealed, and before she was killed.

Knowing she could not go back to Soul Society, Akemi hid herself in the mortal world, concealing her history and what powers she had left. There, she seeks to live as best as she can in her current state.

Capabilities

Non-Spiritual Abilities:
Akemi is superbly skilled at melee combat, both with and without use of a sword. Further, she is an accomplished traceuse and free runner.
Lastly, she has a great love of board games, though she has not dedicated quite the same time to them as she has other, more vital skills.

Sealed Spiritual Power:
While Akemi's spiritual power would normally be at average level, the sealing technique used against her cuts this down to at least 20% of what it once was.
Though Akemi has developed a technique where she can break the seal and achieve higher power, but the seal is her own body. The implications of this is that even breaking the seal partially gives her terrible wounds (at minimum)- and if she were ever to try a powerful technique (such as Bankai or advanced Kidō), she would certainly die shortly after its completion.
Due to the danger, even looming defeat will not necessarily be enough to inspire Akemi to unleash her former power.

Kidō:
Former Vice Commander, Akemi's Kidō technique is her only skill that surpasses her ability at swordplay. However, due to her loss of spiritual energy, using Kido has become frustratingly difficult for her ever since her self imposed exile.
While she knows all the precision required to pull off Kidō without chants and in double incantation, her low spiritual power means that if she utilizes them, she can only get the most basic and lowest power of effects (and they are certainly not effective in a direct, combative effort).
Most of Akemi's remaining power rests in her use of Bakudō, which she always most skilled at. When using the incantations, she can manage them at a slightly below average level. Particularly, she utilizes Kyokko to hide her Zanpakutō so she can carry it around on a day to day basis without it being spotted.

Hohō:
Akemi was never particularly skilled at Hohō, and with her spiritual power sealed, she relies on her natural skill and speed almost exclusively, using Hohō only when she has no other resort. Due to low spiritual power, using it for too long can exhaust her, and she cannot maintain any other powers while using it.

Zanpakutō: Sin Eater
Sin Eater is a slender kodachi, unremarkable until it is released.Shikai: Catharsis
When released, Sin Eater becomes jet black, giving off a terrible Reiatsu that feels like a hundred claws scraping at one's very soul and haunting voices whispering in their ears.

Special Ability: Weight of Sin
When Sin Eater is released, the Reiatsu and aura of it surrounds Akemi and her opponents. Vague phantoms, materialize from within the tainted area, hounding Akemi's enemies, striking at them, hindering their movements, or attempting to distract or scare them.
Attacking the phantoms accomplishes nothing, as they are mostly insubstantial.
These phantoms typically are not powerful enough to leave more than moderate blows, or hold down an opponent for significant periods of time.

Special Ability: Cleanse
The second ability of Sin Eater's Shikai is Cleansing. When utilizing this ability, Akemi has the power to cause subconscious conflict within a Hollow or Plus that would otherwise be bound to Hell when she strikes it with her Zanpakutō. This conflict does not affect their outward power or strength of will as it relates to combat, but it is the catalyst for them to begin questioning the crimes and sins they have committed (even though they may not realize it). This ability can awaken the conscience of even the most insane and evil beings, but it cannot create remorse and repentance from nothing: it only grants a fair chance for the target to understand and desire to atone for their crimes. The nature of this internal conflict differs from entity to entity.

Once the conflict is resolved, Sin Eater can absorb their sins, allowing the target to go to Soul Society instead of Heaven. However, to absorb their sins, Sin Eater must contact the target with its edge, usually for an extended period. If a subject recognizes their sin, repents, and accepts the cleansing of Sin Eater, they may have their sins completely absorbed in a method that looks like (and probably hurts as much as) ritual execution.

In many entities, particularly with Hollows, even the successful use of this ability does not instantly manifest itself in their behavior. Hollows and like entities, due to their nature, will likely not even recognize the repentance and nature within them, continuing to act on their maddened urges. When the internal conflict is resolved, Akemi senses it through either a resonance (if it was successful) or dissonance (if it was unsuccessful) in their Reiatsu with her Sin Eater. If the conflict was resolved successfully, she may absorb their sins by striking them with Sin Eater in combat. Once she has scored enough hits (the amount of which is dependent on the level of evil of the being), she may send them to Soul Society with her Zanpakutō (either Konso, if they stop fighting for some reason, or by executing them with her Zanpakutō, as is done with most Hollows).

Absorbing the sin of other entities is an intense and draining experience, both mentally and physically. Not only will it likely prove necessary for Akemi to partially break her seal to accomplish Cleansing, but even if she were to restore her power, it would still prove tiring and traumatic to use.

Bankai: Absolution
With her power sealed, Akemi is incapable of using Bankai, even if she partially breaks the seal. If she fully breaks her seal (which will incur the consequences noted in the Sealed Spiritual Power section), she will be able to use Bankai again.

When she uses her Bankai, the black taint along Sin Eater sloughs away, leaving behind a brilliant white blade.

Special Ability: Storm of Sin
The Reiatsu and aura of Weight of Sin are increased dramatically as the taint of her sword dissolves into them. Opponents near her will have to struggle against countless grasping hands and slashing claws or weapons from the phantoms.
Each phantom also becomes much more distinct, showing the features of one of those successfully affected by either Cleanse or Mercy. They may even retain the smallest fragment of their power and personality, though the former is rare.

Special Ability: Mercy
Any struck by Akemi's sword while she is using Bankai instantly experiences an increased form of Cleanse, which absolves the sins of all but the most corrupted and unrepentant in a single blow.
Further, each strike will cause the subject to recall one or more memories of significance related to any sins they may have committed (whether Mercy absolves them of sins or not). This may disorient the target for a very short duration (long enough for Akemi to set up, but not complete, a second attack), though after experiencing the sensation one or more times, they may derive a way to ignore or lessen the effect.

On each strike that absolves sins, Akemi experiences the same disorientation as her enemy. However, once their sins have been absorbed, she no longer feels this disorientation. This replaces the negative effects of Cleansing.

So, does it all look good now?

Still really like her, the changes look good, though I personally didn't think they needed it.

Steilos
2010-05-05, 05:32 PM
So yeah, I have a surfeit of free time. As an english student, any chance to write is always a good thing to have. So um, hi. Thought I'd post this here before sticking it on the reg thread.

Detective Henry Rheims Coleby, Sharp-Eyed Investigator

Name: Henry Rheims Coleby (just Henry, for short)
Height: 5'9"
Type: Spiritually Aware Mortal/Spiritually Active (if he's unlucky enough)
Speech Colour: Dark Grey

Appearance:

A fit, healthy man of 41 years of age, Henry has a slightly softer tone in his straight short brown hair nowadays, and the beginning of frown lines in his face. He can be found wearing his work clothes (dark blue suit, with appropriate markings) most hours of the day, truncheon (Smuggled from England) concealed and his shoes somehow kept immaculately polished at all times. A believer in doing things by the book, Henry keeps a a set of cuffs on him at all times, and his weapon is not much used. He's not trying to be fancy, or fashionable, and is therefore not a particularly interesting sight out of work, wearing a grey coat with blue shirt with plain blue jeans.

Personality:

Detective Coleby is the ultimate in unfazeable, at least in front of others. When duty is to be done, there's no time for slack-jawed amazement, although he often finds himself questioning his sanity in private. Deeply apathetic about life, he does what he can every day till the day he can do no more, not really truly in need of a reason to live. Not that he really has one. He is trained in self-defense skills, and in fact runs a club for those who wish to learn the same on weekends. He himself is tutored in kickboxing, as well as taking regular trips to the shooting range, as a way of relieving the monotony of life.

History:

A young man emigrated from England and took up police cadet training in Japan. He was an excellent shot, disciplined, controlled, alert and obedient. His name was Henry Rheims Coleby, and he was one of the most promising cadets the academy had seen in a long while. Two years later, he proposed to a young girl by the name of Margaret Thompson, also an immigrant. With a copious salary, excellent prospects, and respect from his colleagues, life was beginning to look good.

Ten years later, it was all gone.

The slide started one pupil-black night, doesn't know or care when, or where, when Henry was trudging home from work. He'd had an average day, all things considering, and was looking forward to going home to his doting wife, when he spied something glimmering in a field, nearby. Drawing his torch, the young investigator crept over to the disturbance... Next thing he knew, he woke up in hospital, mind completely blanked of anything that had happened since he saw that light. But something had happened, and it had changed Henry. From that day forward, he could see spiritual beings, out of the corner of his eye. He heard voices, or more appropriately noises, and half-saw things that made his blood run cold.

Bit by bit, this spiritual world obsessed Henry, and his life began to unravel as this spiritual awareness became stronger. His bosses noticed his strange behaviour, and the smiles around the workplace became more and more forced. The marriage with Margaret became more and more stressed as Henry became more and more distracted with the ... things that were clarifying in his vision. He locked himself in his room for a week. This was the final straw, and soon afterward Margaret left him, taking a taxi to the airport. She never got on that plane, as the taxi was involved in a crash, killing the only woman in the world Henry had ever gotten truly close to.

Henry's life and career imploded shortly after that, with his drinking and bouts of rage stemming from his utter inability to cope with his wife's death. His mental health deteriorated, and he was soon in a mental health ward locked away from society. His behaviour varied wildly, screaming nigh-incoherently at people no one else saw, sometimes spiralling off into utterly nonsensical rants about ghosts and spirits destroying his life. Most worryingly of all was his tendency of just blanking out and staring at the wall, not talking or even
acknowledging the existence of anybody else.

Eventually he was discharged. He was able to get a position on the force, but his career was shot. The rest of his life would just happen, as the collapsed tower of cards that was Henry just didn't care anymore.

Capabilities

Mundane abilities:
Henry is fairly strong and skilled, as mortals go, and is an accomplised kickboxer. His roots lie in the streets, however, and his fighting style can be best described as "barroom brawl martial arts".
One of the best marksmen in the force, Coleby, on the rare occasions he has a firearm, is a force to be reckoned with. Well, if you're a mortal, anyway. Henry has the traditional patrolling and investigative duties down to a fine art, and usually gets the job done and the case solved.
It's nigh-on impossible to openly terrify or astonish Henry, as he generally doesn't go in for emotion.

Spiriual abilities:
Spiritually Aware
Henry has a level of spiritual awareness few mortals match. If he concentrates hard enough, he can view the various spiritual beings as though they were perfectly visible and tangible. He can even interact with them as such. He is utterly loath to do this, due to the memories it brings.

Latent Spiritual Potential
Coleby was not just granted sight, he was granted other things as well. However, he's never tapped into this, and doesn't even know it exists. Whatever it is, it's being stubborn about it.

Strength
Self- explanatory. If this ever activates, Henry will be a decent amount stronger that the average human being, and slightly stronger than what it is actually physically possible for a human to accomplish. Unfortunately, the laws of physics means that attempting to put that force behind a punch will play merry heck with balance.

Reiatsu Resonance
When Coleby econunters Reiatsu, weird stuff happens. He gains the ability to shunpo. Also, his abilities increase all around and helps to even out the odds somewhat. The change is quite sudden, so hopefully Coleby didn't eat his lunch prior.

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 05:50 PM
Shunpo and Flash Step are the same thing. :smallwink:
I'm a little offset by the essential "living tool" (Dials are slightly different). I don't really mind, but it does encroach on SWORD a bit as described. I'd mind less if he just had the ability to use Shunpo. That said, using reiatsu to use "fast movement" is really more like the Quincy technique, Hirenyaku. But.

Otherwise, looks fine.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 05:52 PM
But... one's a snake and ones a spider (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HotSkittyOnWailordAction)... :smalleek::smalltongue:

Your opinion on this, Strawberry? :smallamused:

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 05:53 PM
Your opinion on this, Strawberry? :smallamused:

You probably don't want to know. :smalltongue:

horngeek
2010-05-05, 05:55 PM
You probably don't want to know. :smalltongue:

:smalltongue:

But yeah... the interactions should be... interesting. :smallamused:

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 06:15 PM
Well, I haven't quite decided since you brought her up whether it would be more appropriate for Ruwa to be Fraccion to Genoveva or Cheng. :smalltongue: It would certainly make the most sense for Ruwa to gravitate towards a like-minded individual. And depending on how easy she is to manipulate into giving Ruwa whatever trifle she wants, it might be even better.

However, nothing personal, she'd probably still be looking for someone she actually loved, since that was an intended part of my story however I took it.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 06:16 PM
I might end up making the fly to the spider. Alternatively, I may make a totally unrelated bear. Because I like bears.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 06:16 PM
...you're looking for that in Genovea? O.O :smalltongue:

Nothing says that Lust precludes actual love, you know.

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 06:22 PM
I know, but Ruwa finding it in someone she kisses ass to honestly isn't what I was shooting for. :smalltongue:

(I was aiming for a double entendre there. :smallwink:)

horngeek
2010-05-05, 06:26 PM
Good point, there. But I'm not certain you're more likely to find it as Fraccion to the Complete Monster anyway. :smalltongue:

@tgva: Well, I'd be fine with either one. A fly Arrancar could be... interesting.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 06:41 PM
And depending on how easy she is to manipulate into giving Ruwa whatever trifle she wants, it might be even better.

On this: Cheng isn't going to give her something that would hurt Cheng's interests. But otherwise, she isn't going to refuse much.

Of course, it would be a very good idea not to abuse this.

Also, she doesn't mind if Ruwa does find true love... :smalltongue:

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 06:52 PM
"But Mei-Mei-chaaaaan, you know I wouldn't abuse you.~<3"

"...By the way, can I have a balcony? With a sunbathing bed? And a Numeros to give me massages? And some nice-smelling candles? And a fountain..."

Shades of Gray
2010-05-05, 06:54 PM
"Whatever you do, do not get her a poolboy. We all know what happened to the previous one."

horngeek
2010-05-05, 06:57 PM

"...By the way, can I have a balcony? With a sunbathing bed? And a Numeros to give me massages? And some nice-smelling candles? And a fountain..."

:smalltongue:

So, yes or no?

Also, Shades, who's that you're speaking as?

Draken
2010-05-05, 06:58 PM
Paramonos, a numero.

Rather. THE numero.

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 06:59 PM
I'll still have to think about it. :smalltongue: Should have an answer way before this even starts.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 07:05 PM

*Mei looks at silk-wrapped Ruwa*

"Well... a fountain in the Palacio might not be a bad idea. And a communal massuer..."

*puts arms around her* "How does that sound? I mean, stuff like that can be shared..."

@^: :smalltongue: Okay.

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 07:12 PM
"...Of course, Mei-Mei-chaaaaan.~<3"

As long as I get it most of the time.~<3

horngeek
2010-05-05, 07:49 PM
Yep. I can see how this is going to go. :smallamused:

*Mei picks up Ruwa* "So, let's head into my room for a bit..."

Shades of Gray
2010-05-05, 07:53 PM
So undisciplined... *does 1000 push-ups*

horngeek
2010-05-05, 08:04 PM
"Yes, but you always work yourself far too hard... and at least we have fun." :smallamused:

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 08:04 PM
*Ruwa nods emphatically from Mei's shoulder*

Shades of Gray
2010-05-05, 08:06 PM
"This is fun, Lady Espada." *starts doing sit-ups* "I thought it was fairly obvious." *blank expression*

horngeek
2010-05-05, 08:07 PM
*Mei looks at Ruwa* "Well, I know he says it's fun, but I just can't see it, myself."

----

Hmmm... what number do you think Mei should be? I'm looking at one of the lower numbers, myself.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 08:10 PM
*Mei looks at Ruwa* "Well, I know he says it's fun, but I just can't see it, myself."

----

Hmmm... what number do you think Mei should be? I'm looking at one of the lower numbers, myself.Go with....Octava. Just offhand.

Shades of Gray
2010-05-05, 08:10 PM
The sexta.

No reason why.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 08:12 PM
The sexta.

No reason why.We already have a Sexta Candidate.
We don't already have an Octava Candidate. :smallwink:

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 08:22 PM
"I don't get it either, Mei-Mei-chaaaaan.~<3"

--

As for the Sexta being taken: Unfortunate. :smallsigh:

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 08:24 PM
I hope the obvious references are obvious. :smalltongue:

Moon Wolf
2010-05-05, 08:25 PM
*slaps* Oh you rude people. :smalltongue:

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 08:26 PM
*slaps* Oh you rude people. :smalltongue:...Why are you "slapping" us?:smallconfused:

horngeek
2010-05-05, 08:26 PM
*Mei shrugs* "Well, let's head in for some actual fun..."

*Carries Ruwa into her room.

Door closes* :smallamused:

----

Yeah... while her being the sexta would be funny, the Octava is probably better, since it isn't taken by anyone else. :smalltongue:

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 08:29 PM
Hey, I'm not rude.

I'm crude and occasionally immature. :smalltongue:

horngeek
2010-05-05, 08:32 PM
*slaps* Oh you rude people. :smalltongue:

We're male. What did you expect?

...I do generally try to be a gentleman, though. Generally.

Moon Wolf
2010-05-05, 08:34 PM
All right. Although I'll make sure to tell my cousins to stay away from Las Noches for a long time to come...:smallamused::smallbiggrin:

horngeek
2010-05-05, 08:45 PM
All right. Although I'll make sure to tell my cousins to stay away from Las Noches for a long time to come...:smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Hey, the Octava is probably going to give you one of the... nicer... welcomes. :smalltongue:

...and for those who wish to know, yes, she does sleep on a web. Generally snuggled up against one of her Fraccion. :smalltongue:

----

Actually, here's a question which has probably been answered and I just dunno where: Who's deciding who gets the Espada spots?

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 08:46 PM
Wait, seriously? No one gets the fact that the spider is Octava? :smallwink:

Dorizzit
2010-05-05, 08:50 PM
Wait, seriously? No one gets the fact that the spider is Octava? :smallwink:

Wow. You'd think I would have noticed that.

Draken
2010-05-05, 08:51 PM
In all the Tyrannical glory of the job. I will do that horngeek.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 08:54 PM

*snicker* "Oh broken heart, thy name is Ruwa. However shall I console myself?"

horngeek
2010-05-05, 08:55 PM
In all the Tyrannical glory of the job. I will do that horngeek.

All right, then. Mark Mei down for Octava candidate. Well, any position, but a preference for Octava. :smalltongue:

horngeek
2010-05-05, 09:04 PM

"Aren't you the Espada of Isolation, anyway?

I could see about kidnapping a human for you to torture or something if you really feel that down about it..."

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 09:06 PM
"Awww, Veva-chan, I can still visit you, if you get lonely.~<3"

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-05, 09:07 PM

"As for myself, I don't much care. But if I did just happen to have one of my Players, who can conceal themselves, in the room, with a Video Camera?"

Draken
2010-05-05, 09:15 PM
"As for myself, I don't much care. But if I did just happen to have one of my Players who can conceal themselves in the room with a Video Camera?"

"You should express your feelings in song, COnductor. Because your speech makes no sense at all."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-05, 09:16 PM
"You should express your feelings in song, COnductor. Because your speech makes no sense at all."

"You lack the Music in your Soul, Von Geister."

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 09:18 PM
"And let you dirty your hands? I couldn't ask it of ya Cheng. As for visitation rights..." *discretely slips the Player some film*

Purple Rose
2010-05-05, 09:26 PM
Still not back yet. Finals are killing me. .-. Just wanted to stop in and remark on chapter 403.

OMG. Of course Aizen isn't going to be hurt by it, but Urahara is bad-ass to the extreme. Spoiler button! Whoohoo!

horngeek
2010-05-05, 09:34 PM
"And let you dirty your hands? I couldn't ask it of ya Cheng. As for visitation rights..." *discretely slips the Player some film*

"I suppose not. Not sure I want to know what goes on in your Palacio." *shudders*

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 09:35 PM
"I suppose not. Not sure I want to know what goes on in your Palacio." *shudders*

"Squemish Chengie? Why all ya have to do is aaasssskkk and I'll show ya myself.."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-05, 09:45 PM
"Squemish Chengie? Why all ya have to do is aaasssskkk and I'll show ya myself.."

To quote a great man... IT'S A TRAP! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4)

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 09:50 PM
Heiwajugi: Spirit and Shikai/Bankai of Shizuka

Zanpakuto Spirit: Heiwajugi appears as a well dressed man, his outfit oddly out of place, and out of time for Soul Society. He has short green hair, and always seems to be resting, though this may be a side effect for his inactivity. Link provided for the inspiration of his appearance. (http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u131/Tebryn_Cabal/?action=view&current=c_hazama01.jpg)

Inner World: Heiwajugi’s inner world is a massive diner, though unstaffed and empty. A radio plays constantly in the background, though the music is oddly faint, just below the level one could hear it even with straining. Heiwajugi is always sat at the same table, smoking silently and gazing out the window.

Shikai: Bathe the Unfortunate in Blood, Heiwajugi!- This Shikai makes no visible change to Shizuka’s zanpakuto, instead it summons Heiwajugi, standing before her. Heiwajugi’s hands drip with fresh blood, which sizzles and pops as it strikes the ground. Heiwajugi can make large bands of acidic blood that arch and speed toward foes, burning and tainting anything it touches. Foes struck by the blood suffer slight pain and weak burns on exposed skin. Subsequent hits by these bands of blood produce worse burns, and increases in pain until it is practically blinding. This blood can also form small shields and walls, while not capable of blocking all damage, such shields produce the same damaging effect above, and lessen damage from anything it blocks. The effects of the blood wear off over time based on how many strikes one incurs.

Heiwajugi is rather fleet of foot, utilizing a power similar to shunpo to cross vast distances, and is oddly adept at hand to hand combat, despite being a summon.

Bankai: Heiwajugi bankai makes no discernable change to appearance, though he often removes his hat for dramatic effect, allowing his hair to blow in an unseen, unfelt wind. What does change, is the pressure and feeling of Shizuka’s reiatsu, and of Heiwajugi to that of pure malice and murderous intent. His true name is Hound of Rondanini

Maw of the Black Dog of Rondanini: Heiwajugi can transform himself, or any part of his body, into black blood that drips along the floor. This blood is mundane, and does not possess the same properties of his shikai. This black blood can be formed into massive razor toothed maws capable of crushing steel and stone between their lips, as well as forming eyes and other appendages that are fully functional. Heiwajugi can withstand far much more punishment in this form, and increases his shunpo like technique considerably. Heiwajugi cannot utilize his other shikai powers while any part of his body is transformed into the black blood. Heiwajugi can form his whole body into the inky blood, being able to slip through cracks and transform himself fully into a massive black dog like beast. While this transformation does not grant any additional powers or attacks, he can utilize his bankai’s power from any, or all angles of his body, becoming at will a seething mass of dark maw ended tendrils.

Grip of the Black Dog: Shizuka’s Bankai is strange in that its powers are discerning, being unable to affect any opponent spiritually weaker then herself. To such a person, they are unable to view the black blood that Heiwajugi can transform into, or any opponent struck by such black blood so long as it stays in contact with them. For all such people, the devastating attacks the black blood leave seem to appear as if from thin air, as if the bodies of those struck by the black blood merely exploded in gore As such, such people are completely immune to the effects of Shizuka’s bankai. While they are blind to the effects and visable aspects of the black blood that incorporates Heiwajugi’s body, they can still hear the screams of pain of its victims, as well as smell the slick odor of blood. Shizuka is also blind to such effects as if she were spiritually weaker than her actual power, unable to see the devestation of her own bankai until its damage has long since been done. This effect also blocks Shizuka and those spiritually weaker then herself from seeing Heiwajugi transform into the Black Dog of Rondanini. To all such effected, he may still attack at the level of his Shikai powers, and utilize his shikai powers against them.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-05, 09:55 PM
Innis, that Bankai is kinda similar to Ava. Like... almost entirely the same.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 09:55 PM
Not to sound completely forgetful or something, but do you have a link to Shizuka? I know that I recognize the name but I can't find the sheet to compare the character with the Zanpakuto.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 09:58 PM
Innis, that Bankai is kinda similar to Ava. Like... almost entirely the same.

Except that Ava's power is

When released, Genheimauge takes the appearance of feline. At first glimpse, one might mistake Genheimauge for an ordinary panther (though they might question what a panther was doing out.) However, Genheimauge is much more then that. Rather then simply being a Black Cat, Genheimauge is a cat shaped piece of darkness. Genheimauge is impossible to see when the cat pads into darkness, and silent with its steps. There are ways of beating the creatures of concealment, but it is difficult to do. Other then this ability, the cat is not particularly special. Quick, but not amazingly so. Strong, but not so powerful as to be amazing.

Genheimauge’s strangest ability is the nature of its connection with its mistress. Genheimauge can let Aneel look through his eyes, showing her everything he sees directly. Furthermore, Genheimauge can teleport to his mistress, and summon her to him. Ava uses this to get into places she isn’t supposed to.

So, the only thing thats similar is the darkness, and Heiwajugi gets a speed and strength boost, but thats no different then his Shikai, so again...they arn't even close other then the darkess. And even then, its darkness thematically, having nothing to do with -actual- darkness. I can rephrase it to black blood.

Shizuka is here TGVA (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8157849&postcount=5)

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-05, 10:01 PM
Yes, the fact that it is a giant animal made of darkness is all that is similar. Thank you for point that out.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 10:03 PM
My only beef is that usually a Shikai doesn't summon something, it transforms the sword itself. In fact, I think 0 known Shikais actually summon something. The closest is Minazuki, which actually is the sword. It's a minor thing, since we bend so much of canon anyways.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 10:06 PM
My only beef is that usually a Shikai doesn't summon something, it transforms the sword itself. In fact, I think 0 known Shikais actually summon something. The closest is Minazuki, which actually is the sword. It's a minor thing, since we bend so much of canon anyways.*coughcough* (http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Komamura)

Also, I think this guy should wear a red coat and have long black hair (http://hellsing.wikia.com/wiki/Alucard).

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 10:06 PM
Yes, the fact that it is a giant animal made of darkness is all that is similar. Thank you for point that out.

I changed the darkness bit, now its merely black blood. So, now its just similar that its an animal. But...that would be like having an issue with two different fire type bankai, etc. Its -nothing- like her doll.

Edit: And he's usually not in such a form, so...its even not close to "An animal of darkness"...

My only beef is that usually a Shikai doesn't summon something, it transforms the sword itself. In fact, I think 0 known Shikais actually summon something. The closest is Minazuki, which actually is the sword. It's a minor thing, since we bend so much of canon anyways.

This was based off Yori from the last game. So, in canon I'd agree, but you even said "usually"...so, is that bad?

*coughcough* (http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Komamura)

Also, I think this guy should wear a red coat and have long black hair (http://hellsing.wikia.com/wiki/Alucard).

That was a small bit of inspiration. Originally he was going to be based off the Strogi, which is where Hellsing got Alucard's ability for transformation.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 10:14 PM
*coughcough* (http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Komamura)

His Shikai doesn't really summon compared to what Minazuki does or what Heiwajugi does, both of which in my mind are the closest to summoning that a Shikai can/should go.

This was based off Yori from the last game. So, in canon I'd agree, but you even said "usually"...so, is that bad?

Well, besides allowing someone to play the spirit and someone to play the Shinigami, is there a good reason that it can't just modify the sword? I could see it working as a sword ability, without needing to summon.

It's like the question we had last game about summoning Zanpakuto. Manifesting the Zanpakuto Spirit is something that usually takes 10+ years of effort to obtain. If it's a Shikai...then that part of getting Bankai becomes incredibly trivial.

Like I said, it's not a huge deal and in the end I'm probably the only person who cares, but I have an image of what Shinigami have as powers and what Arrancar have as powers and how the different types of character have been designed in the actual manga, and I like those images. They can be bent, sure, but sometimes the bending bends the images I have in my head a bit too much.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 10:18 PM
Well, besides allowing someone to play the spirit and someone to play the Shinigami, is there a good reason that it can't just modify the sword? I could see it working as a sword ability, without needing to summon.

It's like the question we had last game about summoning Zanpakuto. Manifesting the Zanpakuto Spirit is something that usually takes 10+ years of effort to obtain. If it's a Shikai...then that part of getting Bankai becomes incredibly trivial.

Like I said, it's not a huge deal and in the end I'm probably the only person who cares, but I have an image of what Shinigami have as powers and what Arrancar have as powers and how the different types of character have been designed in the actual manga, and I like those images. They can be bent, sure, but sometimes the bending bends the images I have in my head a bit too much.

I think with this sort, it comes from the odd connection that Shizuka has with her spirit.

Those powers are to be gained in games. So, it will all depend on how that plays out. I just wanted to post them so everyone could see them and review them. Its also really the only sort of shikai can do that, making her fairly unique. So, its not like its something every Shinigami can do.

I do understand your reservation with it though, and appreciate you being earnest about it :smallsmile:

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 10:19 PM
Uh...Callos's captain summons a giant whale. What's different here? :smallconfused:

The "no one weaker can see" is a bit odd.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 10:22 PM
His Shikai doesn't really summon compared to what Minazuki does or what Heiwajugi does, both of which in my mind are the closest to summoning that a Shikai can/should go.

Would you better with it if the shikai removed Shizuka's sword?

And as for manifesting the spirit, I would say her shikai doesn't count. It's not calling the spirit itself, just the shape it takes in shikai, Shizuka would have to learn how to manifest Heiwajugi himself to even begin to THINK about bankai.

Callos' captain summons a giant whale in BANKAI, in shikai it's like Komammura.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 10:25 PM
Actually, I had the idea of someone manifesting their Z-pac spirit as their Shikai.

They'd have to learn to release Shikai without speaking the Zanpaktou's name before going for Bankai, in that case, I'd say.

----

*Mei starts edging away* "Oh, it's fine..."

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 10:25 PM
Uh...Callos's captain summons a giant whale. What's different here? :smallconfused:

Yes, Callos's captain summoned a whale. In Bankai. In Bankai you can summon whatever you want, I have no problems with Bankai doing that. Shikai is where I have problems, because Shikai don't do that, and if Shikai did than the whole point of the Tenshintai is pointless.

It's not the summoning I have a problem with, it's the summoning in Shikai.

...Its also really the only sort of shikai can do that, making her fairly unique. So, its not like its something every Shinigami can do.

I do understand your reservation with it though, and appreciate you being earnest about it :smallsmile:

What happened to the Prince/Princess and Samurai character? That character also summoned something in Shikai. I didn't mention anything about that character b/c I missed the discussion, but it didn't quite sit well with me, however interesting it was.

And really, there should be some limits on what types of effects a Shikai/Bankai can produce, because they should have a different feel from the Arrancar Zanpakuto and Resurreccións and a different feel from the types of powers the Mortals are getting.

Edit@Callos: That would help somewhat, but the flavor behind summoning doesn't fit as much for me. You could just have the sword grant the "elemental" power to do what the summoned "spirit" does.

Draken
2010-05-05, 10:28 PM
Actually, I had the idea of someone manifesting their Z-pac spirit as their Shikai.

They'd have to learn to release Shikai without speaking the Zanpaktou's name before going for Bankai, in that case, I'd say. "Oh, it's fine..."

There already is a character who does that.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 10:29 PM
Yes, Callos's captain summoned a whale. In Bankai. In Bankai you can summon whatever you want, I have no problems with Bankai doing that. Shikai is where I have problems, because Shikai don't do that, and if Shikai did than the whole point of the Tenshintai is pointless.

It's not the summoning I have a problem with, it's the summoning in Shikai

The whole point of the what? O.o

*Mei starts edging away* "Oh, it's fine..."

"Kukuku...Just kidding!"

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 10:31 PM
The Urahara invention that bypasses the 10+ years of training required to manifest the Zanpakuto spirit. Urahara's invention allowed Bankai in 3 days because it forcibly manifests the spirit, skipping the lengthy part of getting Bankai.

It was basically a way of saying what I've already been saying, which is that summoning feels like a cheat because other Shinigami have to spend 10 years doing that after they get Shikai.

If I'm the only one who has a huge issue with it, then it's not that big of a deal, but I think we should know what the feel of the different ability types is, because if you wanted to make something that didn't feel like a Shinigami Zanpakuto, you can make a Medium with whatever type of powers you want.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 10:32 PM
"Phew..."

*relaxes guard* :smalleek:

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 10:32 PM

It's not the summoning I have a problem with, it's the summoning in Shikai.

What happened to the Prince/Princess and Samurai character? That character also summoned something in Shikai. I didn't mention anything about that character b/c I missed the discussion, but it didn't quite sit well with me, however interesting it was.

And really, there should be some limits on what types of effects a Shikai/Bankai can produce, because they should have a different feel from the Arrancar Zanpakuto and Resurreccións and a different feel from the types of powers the Mortals are getting.

Edit@Callos: That would help somewhat, but the flavor behind summoning doesn't fit as much for me. You could just have the sword grant the "elemental" power to do what the summoned "spirit" does.

See, I think there is some disctintion between the "types" of characters in the game already.

The Tenshintai was a cheat made by one guy. So...its not really relevent to this, since there was only ever one.

And, we've broken and bent canon in alot of ways already. Some points beyond what people really wanted...so, while I understand your concern, I think this is a point that can be bent in rare exceptions, espcially since it actually promotes RP and character interaction and explores the relationship between the Shinigami and the Zanpakuto Spirit.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 10:41 PM
The Urahara invention that bypasses the 10+ years of training required to manifest the Zanpakuto spirit. Urahara's invention allowed Bankai in 3 days because it forcibly manifests the spirit, skipping the lengthy part of getting Bankai.

It was basically a way of saying what I've already been saying, which is that summoning feels like a cheat because other Shinigami have to spend 10 years doing that after they get Shikai.

If I'm the only one who has a huge issue with it, then it's not that big of a deal, but I think we should know what the feel of the different ability types is, because if you wanted to make something that didn't feel like a Shinigami Zanpakuto, you can make a Medium with whatever type of powers you want.

Again, I would say the shikai isn't bypassing that 10 years since it's an ability of the shikai, not Shizuka manifesting the spirit herself which IS part of the requirement for bankai (and I thought it took 100 years, or was that mastering bankai?). But what do I know? xD

And if I had wanted to make a Medium, then I'd have made a medium. Instead I created a shinigami with a summoning zanpakuto that...with your revisions...wouldn't summon. :smallconfused:

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 10:41 PM
I don't really have an argument against it besides "It doesn't feel like a Shikai" so I don't think I can really make any sort of case against it. I'm just saying that I get a sense on what Shikai are supposed to do, and this doesn't quite fit it.

I think part of it is related to how I understood Shinigami gaining power. The Shikai is more like an agreement between the spirit and the Shinigami. The Spirit respects the Shinigami enough to grant them some of its power by changing its physical form (the Zanpakuto) into something else or by allowing its physical form to create magical effects. But I don't think the Spirit, at the Shikai stage, respects its Shinigami enough to do the work for them by manifesting itself. It wouldn't allow that, because it wants to have control over a part of its power. If it allows itself to be summoned, the Zanpakuto Spirit is acknowledging that the Shinigami has total control over them, and from my understanding the Zanpakuto Spirit doesn't really want to be totally controlled. That's why a Shinigami has to train to manifest their Zanpakuto Spirit.

Maybe that's a better description of what I think.

Edit: 100 is 10+. They are equivalent. Edit2: Apparently, Wiki says 10 or more years. I actually did think it was 100, but I decided to say 10+ instead. Meh, whatever. In truth, Bankai happens at the speed of Plot.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 10:45 PM
I don't really have an argument against it besides "It doesn't feel like a Shikai" so I don't think I can really make any sort of case against it. I'm just saying that I get a sense on what Shikai are supposed to do, and this doesn't quite fit it.

I think part of it is related to how I understood Shinigami gaining power. The Shikai is more like an agreement between the spirit and the Shinigami. The Spirit respects the Shinigami enough to grant them some of its power by changing its physical form (the Zanpakuto) into something else or by allowing its physical form to create magical effects. But I don't think the Spirit, at the Shikai stage, respects its Shinigami enough to do the work for them by manifesting itself. It wouldn't allow that, because it wants to have control over a part of its power. If it allows itself to be summoned, the Zanpakuto Spirit is acknowledging that the Shinigami has total control over them, and from my understanding the Zanpakuto Spirit doesn't really want to be totally controlled. That's why a Shinigami has to train to manifest their Zanpakuto Spirit.

Maybe that's a better description of what I think.

Alright...but in this case let's consider a few points.

-It's not said Shizuka can actually direct what her zanpakuto does. In point of fact, until Innis tells me otherwise, I'm going to assume that all Shizuka can do is yell/talk/scream at him and hopes he listens.
-Minazuki is...exactly what you are describing. Yet you don't seem to have a problem with it. (Okay, the sting-ray thing doesn't look like the spirit, but something is still summoned).

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 10:46 PM
I think tgva8889 has some valid concerns.

I think the compromise of "her physical sword disappears" might be good. At that point, it greatly resembles the general mechanic of Unohana's sword.

As well, I'm hesitant to wave around "we've broken and bent canon before, so, whee!, let's do it again!". If we're really approaching a point where someone has a concern of this nature, we should at least address and consider it.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 10:49 PM
"Phew..."

*relaxes guard* :smalleek:

...You know, we should gather these kinds of things as Omake in the wiki. :smalltongue:

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 10:51 PM
I do have to say, though....this is 2 characters now whose shikai work via "summon sword spirit". It is kind of...hm.

Part of me has to wonder if there are other ways to go about some of these ideas. Both for the sake of those like tgva8889, and for the more general sake of not making such things quite so common.:smallconfused:

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 10:53 PM
-It's not said Shizuka can actually direct what her zanpakuto does. In point of fact, until Innis tells me otherwise, I'm going to assume that all Shizuka can do is yell/talk/scream at him and hopes he listens.
-Minazuki is...exactly what you are describing. Yet you don't seem to have a problem with it. (Okay, the sting-ray thing doesn't look like the spirit, but something is still summoned).

1) That's fine, but then the question becomes "Why would the Zanpakuto manifest itself to fight for Shizuka rather than forcing Shizuka to do the work herself?" I feel like most Shikai are Shinigami-driven, while Bankai are more driven by the power of the Zanpakuto. Obviously there are exceptions (Ichigo and Ikkaku, mainly) but generally that was the feeling I got.

2) The stingray is the sword, though. It's possible that Minazuki manifests a portion of its power by transforming the sword, it just has so much power than what it provides becomes a giant stingray. She is the second most powerful Captain in Soul Society behind the Commander-General himself, it's entirely possible.

If the physical sword disappears, I can live with that, since I understand that the change that I would like is unreasonable at this point. I would rather allow you to go through with the work that you've put in to making these two characters than force you to abide by my concerns.

@Knight: I think in some cases, there are. If the only purpose of summoning the spirit is to have it fight for you with some special abilities, you could have the abilities just be granted on the actual Shinigami. That's what other Shikai do.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 11:01 PM
1) That's fine, but then the question becomes "Why would the Zanpakuto manifest itself to fight for Shizuka rather than forcing Shizuka to do the work herself?" I feel like most Shikai are Shinigami-driven, while Bankai are more driven by the power of the Zanpakuto. Obviously there are exceptions (Ichigo and Ikkaku, mainly) but generally that was the feeling I got.

2) The stingray is the sword, though. It's possible that Minazuki manifests a portion of its power by transforming the sword, it just has so much power than what it provides becomes a giant stingray. She is the second most powerful Captain in Soul Society behind the Commander-General himself, it's entirely possible.

If the physical sword disappears, I can live with that, since I understand that the change that I would like is unreasonable at this point. I would rather allow you to go through with the work that you've put in to making these two characters than force you to abide by my concerns.

@Knight: I think in some cases, there are. If the only purpose of summoning the spirit is to have it fight for you with some special abilities, you could have the abilities just be granted on the actual Shinigami. That's what other Shikai do.

1. I understand its a concern, but its based on personal opinion. And while thats fair, we really don't know how such things work in canon. I'm going to repeat this actually gives us some insight, at least in our own canon. But to add, even in canon we see Zanpakuto spirits have their own personality, so asking "why wouldn't it make the wielder do the work"...well, maybe must of them do. Maybe the two we have are exceptions. In fact, even Chishuu has to do most of the work himself.

2. It shouldn't matter the strength of the Captain. In your own words shikai should have set level of what they can do. So, a Shikai should be a Shikai should be a Shikai. Callos also said she'd lose the sword as well. Shikai can summon, we've seen it done in canon.

I do have to say, though....this is 2 characters now whose shikai work via "summon sword spirit". It is kind of...hm.

Part of me has to wonder if there are other ways to go about some of these ideas. Both for the sake of those like tgva8889, and for the more general sake of not making such things quite so common.:smallconfused:

2 out of...how many characters we have isn't all that common. I'd agree with you if there were say, like 4-5, but 2 (played by at least one of the same people as the other) isn't common.

I also think this idea is fairly sound, considering that it does promote RP and exposition which we'd otherwise not get (Maybe).

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 11:04 PM
It only takes 1 to start potentially causing issues. *Shrugs*

Just because it's "only" 2 doesn't invalidate the potential concern.

And waving your hands with the excuse of "promoting RP and exposition" is...not really helpful.

And the bit about "which we might otherwise not get" doesn't really make sense. I mean, yeah, we probably won't have scenes in the middle of a battle with 2 players controlling shinigami and sword without this explicit conflict. But we'll still have RP and exposition in general.

Innis Cabal
2010-05-05, 11:07 PM
I thought the idea of this game was to promote RP and create story lines and such? And to get character interaction. I would say that -is- actually a helpful thing to promote and to bring up. Because thats what sits at the center of this game. Story driven RP between a large player base.

And the bit about "which we might otherwise not get" doesn't really make sense. I mean, yeah, we probably won't have scenes in the middle of a battle with 2 players controlling shinigami and sword without this explicit conflict. But we'll still have RP and exposition in general

This is also taking me a little out of context. I'm not saying without this we wouldn't get exposition or plot or what ever. But, if the last game is any indication (and it lasted well over a year so...it kinda is) most people don't delve into the relationship between their zanpakuto and the character themselves.

In fact, the real first time someone did it is with an idea just like this.

nothingclever
2010-05-05, 11:08 PM
I agree with you tgva8889. I'd rather see characters gaining the powers and imagery of their zanpakuto spirits than see them literally manifested. Komamura and Unohana summon things but they don't look like their zanpakuto spirits.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 11:10 PM
I'm...pretty sure the idea of the game is RP. Did I say otherwise? Pretty sure I didn't.

And....frankly, while I think it's a nifty concept, I don't see it as that vital, outside of "bankai training scenes". The story is about the Shinigami, not the zanpakutou. While having them express their feeling of "partnership rather than ownership" is good, I don't see why it has to be a large amount of plot. For me, Renji is interesting interacting with other characters beyond his zanpakutou. Frankly, the most recent anime filler didn't enamor me to the concept that much.

I think there's a whole of of chances for RP outside of this.

Beyond that, there's still ways to RP interaction with swords beyond "I manifest my sword spirit in Shikai".

horngeek
2010-05-05, 11:14 PM
...I, quite frankly, think summoning is a perfectly fine Shikai ability. From a certain point of view, that's what Hitsugaya's Shikai does (and Natsuko's).

----

Also, Strawberry, just let me know when you do decide who Ruwa will be a Fraccion to. :smalltongue:

In the meantime: anyone else want to be part of Mei's Fraccion/Harem? :smalltongue:

Draken
2010-05-05, 11:17 PM
>_>

Is it really that big an issue if the summon leaves or doesn't leave the sword behind?

If it leaves the sword behind (truly summons it) then whatever.

If it turns the sword into the "summon" (transformation, which is what zanpakutou almost invariably do in shikai), then she could just carry around one of those spiritless swords to use when in shikai. Again, whatever. End result is the same.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 11:18 PM
@Draken: Mechanically, no. Feeling-wise, yes, it does matter to me.

1. I understand its a concern, but its based on personal opinion. And while thats fair, we really don't know how such things work in canon. I'm going to repeat this actually gives us some insight, at least in our own canon. But to add, even in canon we see Zanpakuto spirits have their own personality, so asking "why wouldn't it make the wielder do the work"...well, maybe must of them do. Maybe the two we have are exceptions. In fact, even Chishuu makes him do alot of the work.

2. It shouldn't matter the strength of the Captain. In your own words shikai should have set level of power. So, a Shikai should be a Shikai should be a Shikai. Callos also said she'd lose the sword as well. Shikai can summon, we've seen it done in canon.

1. Well, I never said specifically that I had a problem with Chishuu besides the summoning bit. Part of the reason I didn't comment on that was that I couldn't think of another way the ability could have been done that didn't involve summoning.

And maybe they are exceptions, but in that case why is Shizuka so afraid to mention that she has such a connecting with her Zanpakuto that it's willing to fight for her at such an early stage?

2. Well, in Unohana's case the "set level of power" of her Shikai might just be higher because she is supposedly stronger than just about every other non-Aizen, non-Yamamoto Shinigami that we know about. It's possible that her base level of power made her Shikai that strong. What I was saying is that "summoning the spirit" is something that should only happen when the character is dominating the spirit, I.E. in Bankai. Shikai is not that.

Part of the reason I said nothing about Yori was I was not a major part of the previous game at that time. Whether or not it was my right, I wasn't going to say anything because I felt that I didn't have the respect at the time to say anything. The bigger reason was that I saw a reason why it would work; Tsuhika isn't Yori's Zanpakuto. Tsuhika is Hazuki's Zanpakuto. Yori isn't communing with or summoning his own spirit, he's summoning someone else's.

And this isn't to say I'm not a proponent of Shinigami-Zanpakuto interaction. I think it's important, and we should have more of it for those characters who need to do it to advance (probably by gaining Bankai). But I think there are other ways to include such interaction than through the summoning of a physical manifestation of the spirit at Shikai level.

@horngeek: Actually, I don't think so. It's very different from the summoning that we're thinking of, because in reality Hitsugaya has total dominance over the ice dragon that his sword creates. The dragon isn't his spirit, it's a manifestation of the power that his spirit grants him in Shikai. Hyorinmaru gives Hitsugaya the power to manipulate the weather and to create ice, in my opinion. You can view it how you like, though, since there's really no definitive evidence in any direction.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-05, 11:21 PM
I thought the idea of this game was to promote RP and create story lines and such? And to get character interaction. I would say that -is- actually a helpful thing to promote and to bring up. Because thats what sits at the center of this game. Story driven RP between a large player base.

This is also taking me a little out of context. I'm not saying without this we wouldn't get exposition or plot or what ever. But, if the last game is any indication (and it lasted well over a year so...it kinda is) most people don't delve into the relationship between their zanpakuto and the character themselves.

In fact, the real first time someone did it is with an idea just like this.

I... fail to see how this addresses anything.

You can speak with your Z-Pac spirit without it being a summoning spirit. Frankly, I intend Ude's Spirit to show up everyonce in a while. He and Ude don't get along. Ude's Zanpaktou Spirit is the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

As for the Summoning issue... eh, don't really care. Kinda seems redundant, with the Bount around, but as you will.

horngeek
2010-05-05, 11:22 PM
As for the Summoning issue... eh, don't really care. Kinda seems redundant, with the Bount around, but as you will.

...actually, this is a valid argument against Z-pac summoning. Because the Bount, in fact, already do it.

nothingclever
2010-05-05, 11:23 PM
...I, quite frankly, think summoning is a perfectly fine Shikai ability. From a certain point of view, that's what Hitsugaya's Shikai does
Hitsugaya's ice dragon stuff (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090930190212/bleach/en/images/thumb/5/50/Hy%C5%8Drinmaru.png/290px-Hy%C5%8Drinmaru.png) looks vastly different from his zanpakuto spirit (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091014151659/bleach/en/images/thumb/1/1d/Hyorinmaru-spirit.jpg/290px-Hyorinmaru-spirit.jpg).

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-05, 11:24 PM
And maybe they are exceptions, but in that case why is Shizuka so afraid to mention that she has such a connecting with her Zanpakuto that it's willing to fight for her at such an early stage?

I don't know if you noticed or not, but Shizuka isn't capable of shikai or bankai. And she isn't 'afraid' of mentioning that she is capable of talking to her zanpakuto spirit...she's embarrassed because she can talk to it and her own fear of what it might be capable of doing (a justified fear) keeps her from hearing it's name.

Draken
2010-05-05, 11:24 PM
Yeah... But mechanics is really all that we should complain about. Not feelings or concepts. The only thing we should pick apart are broken powersets.

If we go around "standardizing" everything, the powers will become sort of bland. Shikai (Bankai, Resurreccion, Segunda Etapa, whatever) is supposed to be unique. Maybe not in final effect (shoots fire has the same fina effect as shoots lightning, shoots ice and shoots acid, frankly speaking), but in appearance, and other minor details.

Like a sword being left behind or not. That is a minor detail. A really, really minor one. It is such a tiny, crappy detail that there is a canon way to deal with it. So why even bother? The powerset is fine, picking on the display is sort of a waste of time.

strawberryman
2010-05-05, 11:27 PM
...Why are we arguing about this? Who cares if the shikai can summon, if there's summoning examples in canon? I don't see anything broken with the powerset, so why should it matter if it's a little different?

One of Kyou's potential shikai is pseudo-summoning, why didn't anyone say anything about that? :smalltongue:

I'll grant the Doll vs. Summoning Zanpaktou overlap. But otherwise, I don't see why we should have any issue with someone using a rainbow as a sword for all it matters if the powers are balanced. But, I guess. Can't stop you guys from having your opinions, and I've been plenty critical before.

So, just throwing my 2 cp in.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 11:36 PM
My mistake then, Callos. :smallredface: I'm sorry for my misinterpretation of that text.

Also, I don't know why we're arguing about it either, as I said a bunch of posts ago I don't really care that much. It's a minor concern that has nothing to do with mechanics, as people have said, so really it doesn't make that much of a difference. If meeting my concerns would invalidate a large amount of effort, which it clearly would, then I'd rather let my concerns sit elsewhere and let the effort mean something.

Draken, I was less suggesting that we standardize everything and more than we differentiate between the different "race-types" clearly in terms of how power is represented. I think that the difference between Shinigami abilities and Arrancar abilities lies in more than just the fact that one is a Shinigami and one is a Hollow, and I think that the visual representation of these abilities represents that in part. It's just like previous debates in which people would mention "Yeah, that's great, except that's not a Shikai, that's a Resurrección."

KnightDisciple
2010-05-05, 11:39 PM
I think things have settled, and will be fine where they are. I just think at least entertaining the discussion isn't so bad.:smallwink:

horngeek
2010-05-05, 11:40 PM
Also, Strawberry, just let me know when you do decide who Ruwa will be a Fraccion to. :smalltongue:

In the meantime: anyone else want to be part of Mei's Fraccion/Harem? :smalltongue:

Reposted. :smalltongue:

Mei's going up on the wiki and registry right now.

Draken
2010-05-05, 11:54 PM
The difference between arrancar abilities and shinigami abilities is that Shinigami abilities affect the weapon, while arrancar abilities affect the body.

It's all the difference that needs to exist, really.

tgva8889
2010-05-05, 11:55 PM
Right. And what I'm saying is I don't see how summoning fits that description of a Shinigami's abilities.

horngeek
2010-05-06, 12:22 AM
<.<
>.>

So! What else to discuss?

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 12:24 AM
<.<
>.>

So! What else to discuss?What Divisions don't have a Captain Candidate yet? I think it's just 6, 7, and 9.

tgva8889
2010-05-06, 12:32 AM
Apparently, we only have so many Captain Candidates. Though we can have maybe 1 or 2 slots unfilled without much problem, so long as those particular Divisions have a VC who's willing to lead.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-06, 12:33 AM
What about the fact there aren't that many Vice-Captains? :smalltongue:

tgva8889
2010-05-06, 12:35 AM
What about the fact there aren't that many Vice-Captains? :smalltongue:

That's equally problematic?

Maybe it's because there aren't 26 different people in this RP?

horngeek
2010-05-06, 12:37 AM
Well, I'm of the opinion that we don't need all the Captain spots filled right at the start. For one thing, it gives an opportunity for someone who comes in partway through and wants to be a Captain.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 07:37 AM
Oh hey, here's a question I wanted to ask but kept forgetting:

People brought up that there are a lot of mentor figures that have been created for this game. Who are they? I've seen two so far, but no one else.

Draken
2010-05-06, 07:51 AM
These would be the mortal world centered adults.

Hollow abilities: Reene Lucaster (me). Also, school principal.
Quincy: Ryouta Tadayoshi (Zarah).
Enclave: Anyone, really (many characters).
Kido: Iwamori Higure (strawberryman). Also, school teacher.
Combat: Ito Tanigawa (Tacky). Also,school teacher.
Something?: Soren Stein (bount). Also, school teacher.

Maybe others.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 07:58 AM
I find it interesting that these characters don't mention that they are intended as a mentor figure in their profile, with the tentative exception of Ito (though even his is pretty vague).

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 08:02 AM
About bankai and summoning type zanpakuto: I think people are forgetting that manifesting the spirit is only half of the deal. The Shinigami has to beat the spirit also. And as evidenced by Zangetsu, in bankai training the spirit has control over the shikai. People with summoning zanpakutos just might have to face their spirits completely unarmed. Think what this would mean to poor Shizuka!

About empty captaincies: Currently, only divisions completely lacking captain candidates are 6th, 7th and 9th. From these, 6th has an active Vice-Captain; the other two are completely emty, so they can stay on the background for now, until someone is chosen or promoted to lead them.

Draken
2010-05-06, 08:02 AM
Higure and Soren mention that they are school teachers, I think. Ito's teacherhood was an afterthought I believe and I was just lazy and didn't include a tab for Reene's principal guise when I wrote her.

Plus, her main disciple has been... Well. Banned.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 08:15 AM
School teacher really doesn't translate to Plot Relevant Mentor Figure, in my mind. As a school teacher, they don't have to teach Kido, or help people against Hollows, or anything. Hell, knowing some of the teachers I had, they don't even have to teach.

"Okay kids, now I'm going to go use my cell phone for half an hour. You... do that worksheet. Which I won't grade. Yeah."

Draken
2010-05-06, 08:30 AM
True enough. And Soren is the guy whose powers activte when he shoots himself in the head.

Yep.

Never going to let the man live that one down.

It is not much of a stretch for them to move from their normal teachings to "teaching against the monsters that apparently mostly avoid the school grounds but stalk every other nook and cranny of the city".

horngeek
2010-05-06, 08:38 AM
True enough. And Soren is the guy whose powers activte when he shoots himself in the head.

Yep.

Never going to let the man live that one down.

Dude, your bount controls rope. Izumi may be too young, but if Natsuko ever finds out what Donovan's power is, jokes will be made at his expense, involving what else he uses that for.

Shades of Gray
2010-05-06, 08:42 AM
"Don't worry, he only uses them to make himself taller. He does it all the time, I always see him hanging from trees and such."

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 08:47 AM
Eirine still isn't in the registry. Fix it -_O

Else, I'll have Elder eat her.

Shades of Gray
2010-05-06, 08:49 AM
She's on the wacky wookie wiki. >>

And I don't have time to reformat for the registry right now.

horngeek
2010-05-06, 08:50 AM
Okay, I'm sleeping now. I'll be back in the morning.

Kasanip
2010-05-06, 08:52 AM
I find it interesting that these characters don't mention that they are intended as a mentor figure in their profile, with the tentative exception of Ito (though even his is pretty vague).

Oh hey, here's a question I wanted to ask but kept forgetting:

People brought up that there are a lot of mentor figures that have been created for this game. Who are they? I've seen two so far, but no one else.

Sayaka, her father Haruaki were supposed to be introduction character helpers.
But it seems most focus has changed, and now they are maybe entirely useless.

Perhaps part of the reason why it was not seen, a lot of discussion was in OOC only.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 08:54 AM
She's on the wacky wookie wiki. >>

And I don't have time to reformat for the registry right now.

You don't have to. Follow MSH's example, and just post a link to the wiki in the registry, if it's too bothersome otherwise.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 08:57 AM
Sayaka, her father Haruaki were supposed to be introduction character helpers.
But it seems most focus has changed, and now they are maybe entirely useless.

Perhaps part of the reason why it was not seen, a lot of discussion was in OOC only.

This makes me sad.
Also guilty, though I'm not sure I'm part of the problem. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, in fact.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 09:04 AM
I think there's still room Sayaka & her father. She's a student, so she'll likely be easier for the other students to trust. I mean, many of the adult characters might seem scary or untrustworthy to the kids, and some them don't even have connections to them at the beginnig.

And Sayaka still has resources the other mentors are lacking.

Draken
2010-05-06, 09:06 AM
Yeah, Sayaka and her father have a niche of their own that the others can't match.

Kasanip
2010-05-06, 09:22 AM
Maybe, but I am unsure what sort of a role it is now.

Maybe Sayaka is trusted more by the students.

But why would anyone ask her about Shinigami/Hollows/Quincy/supernatural, when there are Hollows/Shinigami/Quincy who will teach them?

What use is it for her to have a training place for them, when they have Shinigami/Hollows/Quincy/ who can instruct them in such skills?

Certainly she may have a role at the very beginning. But after the other 'teacher' characters are introduced, there seems to be very little else.

Maybe that is okay though. It would be selfish of me to ask for more 'spotlight' than such. :smallredface:

EDIT
I won't comment on the before discussion on zanpakutou characters. I am too personally involved on such an issue. I am sad it happened when I could not read it.

Dorizzit
2010-05-06, 09:27 AM
Keep in mind, many of the characters, like Kaito or Nakahiro, can't really get trained by Quincies/Shinigami/Hollows because their powers are so much different from more traditional spiritual beings.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 09:27 AM
Off the top of my head, Michiko and Kaito would benefit as much or more from Sayaka's help, than any of the other mentors. Their abilities are not Shinigami, Hollow, or Quincy. They're not exactly like Sayaka's, but I'd say she'd still have a better shot of helping them.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 09:36 AM
You know, I've been trying to figure out just how and where I'd want to introduce and get Akemi into things. While I think she would make a good mentor character, I have no real connections for her at all. I also have no idea where and how she would have hid on earth.

So I'm thinking, perhaps she made her way to the Shrine? It could be that she had to rely on them for aid (after all, she escaped right after a combat... it would be no stretch at all for her to have been injured), and while they may normally have that stance of remaining uninvolved, I don't think they'd deny aid to someone wounded who dragged themselves there.

With that, Akemi would be in their debt, and probably in their presence for a while. They might establish more of a tie at that time, and it wouldn't seem off if it became a more long term thing.

My thought is that this would eliminate your competition, partially, as instead of drawing attention away from the Shrine, Akemi could help draw attention to it and keep it there. Obviously, I'd want to have Akemi share such a position with Sayaka and the Shrine in general, rather than be the focus of it, so we'd need to tweak out specifics (but given Akemi's weakness in terms of actually accomplishing spiritual tasks, I think there is a definite opportunity there).

I can see some areas where they might, or definitely would, clash, but still, it's a suggestion I'd like to put out there.

Kasanip
2010-05-06, 10:31 AM
You know, I've been trying to figure out just how and where I'd want to introduce and get Akemi into things. While I think she would make a good mentor character, I have no real connections for her at all. I also have no idea where and how she would have hid on earth.

So I'm thinking, perhaps she made her way to the Shrine? It could be that she had to rely on them for aid (after all, she escaped right after a combat... it would be no stretch at all for her to have been injured), and while they may normally have that stance of remaining uninvolved, I don't think they'd deny aid to someone wounded who dragged themselves there.

With that, Akemi would be in their debt, and probably in their presence for a while. They might establish more of a tie at that time, and it wouldn't seem off if it became a more long term thing.

My thought is that this would eliminate your competition, partially, as instead of drawing attention away from the Shrine, Akemi could help draw attention to it and keep it there. Obviously, I'd want to have Akemi share such a position with Sayaka and the Shrine in general, rather than be the focus of it, so we'd need to tweak out specifics (but given Akemi's weakness in terms of actually accomplishing spiritual tasks, I think there is a definite opportunity there).

I can see some areas where they might, or definitely would, clash, but still, it's a suggestion I'd like to put out there.

It is an interesting idea I think. I like it a lot. :smallsmile:

However, the Shrine is supposed to be neutral, and taking care of a shinigami and letting one stay there would certainly make that a problem.

I like the idea they helped her when she was wounded. Maybe in keeping in contact also they talk. But I think that she shouldn't stay there (like a resident) until maybe later (in game? perhaps persuading them in character). Certainly it would be more convenient, but there are also some things maybe she could do (if disguising as a human? It makes a question for me:
Is Akemi like a 'gigai' ?)

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 10:35 AM
From another perspective competition is eliminated in the sense that Akemi largely steals the show by default at the shrine. Why talk to the spiritually adept girl and her father when you can talk to a real spirit that has hundreds of years of spirit world experience, some of the greatest combat skills of anyone in the entire setting and tons of knowledge of Soul Society that lives in the same building?

Anyway, my character won't be forgetting yours Kasanip since he'd like to learn from someone who is his own age, shares his state of being as a human and is a friend.

Also Shades, I saw what you did there with the hanging comment. It made me mentally groan because of the cheesiness.

Draken
2010-05-06, 10:37 AM
Last time Akemi saw a shinigami or quincy should be when they tried to kill her. So it is likey that she would try to keep a low profile and pretend to be just another shrine maiden.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 10:39 AM
It is an interesting idea I think. I like it a lot. :smallsmile:

However, the Shrine is supposed to be neutral, and taking care of a shinigami and letting one stay there would certainly make that a problem.

I like the idea they helped her when she was wounded. Maybe in keeping in contact also they talk. But I think that she shouldn't stay there (like a resident) until maybe later (in game? perhaps persuading them in character). Certainly it would be more convenient, but there are also some things maybe she could do (if disguising as a human? It makes a question for me:
Is Akemi like a 'gigai' ?)

Yeah, I think it might fit better if she didn't necessarily stay with them anyway. Gives her a reason to be out and about, have her own interactions... but if they need her help, or if she could use theirs, it would be a good connection.

Still, it might be more convenient at a later point if they solidified such a partnership. I don't see it being necessary early on, but once stuff starts coming down, they may both decide that it is better.

As for your last question... I've been trying to figure that out myself, which is why I asked that question about Urahara much much earlier. He sort of has this bizarre duality of spiritual and physical nature, which I thought was fitting for exiled Shinigami.
You'll notice that some of his allies have this duality to them as well.

The biggest question though, if I decide to give her a gigai, is... where did she get it? And how does she get out of it when she needs to?

From another perspective competition is eliminated in the sense that Akemi largely steals the show by default at the shrine.
I already addressed and pointed out this concern.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 10:44 AM
School teacher really doesn't translate to Plot Relevant Mentor Figure, in my mind. As a school teacher, they don't have to teach Kido, or help people against Hollows, or anything. Hell, knowing some of the teachers I had, they don't even have to teach.

"Okay kids, now I'm going to go use my cell phone for half an hour. You... do that worksheet. Which I won't grade. Yeah."

I... don't see why this is. Especially since Tani is kind of a Martial Arts expert, and he is teaching at the school because he needed some explanation for why he was in Phoenix Town.

Not every character has to choose him as a Mentor, and Akemi is a better mentor for the vast majority of them (which still worries me...) but simply being a PE Teacher, and head of the Martial Arts clubs shouldn't disqualify him.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 10:47 AM
I... don't see why this is. Especially since Tani is kind of a Martial Arts expert, and he is teaching at the school because he needed some explanation for why he was in Phoenix Town.

Not every character has to choose him as a Mentor, and Akemi is a better mentor for the vast majority of them (which still worries me...) but simply being a PE Teacher, and head of the Martial Arts clubs shouldn't disqualify him.

I never said that at all.

I'm saying that being a teacher does not make you a Mentor Figure. Not that being a teacher makes it so you can't be a mentor figure.

Draken had just pointed out "they're teachers" in a way that implied "they're mentor figures." I was saying "not necessarily" in response.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 10:50 AM
I never said that at all.

I'm saying that being a teacher does not make you a Mentor Figure. Not that being a teacher makes it so you can't be a mentor figure.

Draken had just pointed out "they're teachers" in a way that implied "they're mentor figures." I was saying "not necessarily" in response.

Alright, apologies. Was trying to get what you were saying.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 10:54 AM
Alright, apologies. Was trying to get what you were saying.

No problem. I just got really worried that you interpreted it that way- I'm feeling pretty cautious about the whole scenario of Akemi being "yet another mentor figure," so I don't want to be stepping on the toes of others, let alone give the impression that I don't think they work altogether.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 11:02 AM
No problem. I just got really worried that you interpreted it that way- I'm feeling pretty cautious about the whole scenario of Akemi being "yet another mentor figure," so I don't want to be stepping on the toes of others, let alone give the impression that I don't think they work altogether.

I understand that. I can see most of the Mentor's working together. Akemi (and Aqua Man) worry me more, simply because as Shinigami they are so much more experienced and powerful then Sayaka, Tani and the other humans.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 11:06 AM
In my opinion, training can only get you so far. After a certain point, you need talent and some other form of progression.
For most Shinigami, this form of progression comes through spiritual power, which allows them to move quicker, take harder blows, and give harder blows.
Akemi... doesn't have that. Honestly, while probably she is better than Ito at swordplay, I doubt it's going to be by a huge margin. After years of practice, how much more can you really learn?

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 11:11 AM
In my opinion, training can only get you so far. After a certain point, you need talent and some other form of progression.
For most Shinigami, this form of progression comes through spiritual power, which allows them to move quicker, take harder blows, and give harder blows.
Akemi... doesn't have that. Honestly, while probably she is better than Ito at swordplay, I doubt it's going to be by a huge margin. After 30 years of practice, how much more can you really learn?

You can learn quite a bit, honestly. The largest factor limiting Human skill is the longer you practice something, the older you get. A 70 year old man is not the equal physically of a 30 year old.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 11:29 AM
Well personally, I don't picture the Shinigami as being all that elite in terms of skill. Or heck, even power in general. They got their butts handed to them by a random group of high school students, after all.

The main thing the Shinigami have is spiritual power. That's always been what has boosted them so far above the normal populace.

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 11:51 AM
Last time Akemi saw a shinigami or quincy should be when they tried to kill her. So it is likey that she would try to keep a low profile and pretend to be just another shrine maiden.
Two shrine maidens at one shrine and they aren't sisters or twins? My mind is blown. It's like dividing by zero. Anime/manga have taught me such a thing is impossible and it's never lied to me before. They're always either the same age or the younger one is half the size of the other and really assertive while ironically the older one is shy and reserved. I'm going to try to rationalize this in my mind for a bit and hope I don't have an aneurysm.

They got their butts handed to them by a random group of high school students, after all.

Oh come on. The kids in canon have the power of plot. Ichigo has amazing potential and Ishida's father is super strong making me think he's got plenty of potential too. Ishida also received training from his grandfather since he was a small child as KD mentioned. They also could've been fighting joke characters. Ichigo fights Renji and Ikkaku and has a much harder time than his friends despite being stronger than them. Clearly there are lazy shinigami and there are serious ones. Chad and Ishida run into the joke seated characters while Ichigo fights the tough ones. There's also the Hōgyoku tampering to justify their strength.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 11:57 AM
Well personally, I don't picture the Shinigami as being all that elite in terms of skill. Or heck, even power in general. They got their butts handed to them by a random group of high school students, after all.

The main thing the Shinigami have is spiritual power. That's always been what has boosted them so far above the normal populace.

A random group of high school students....most of whom were granted their powers by a Magic Wish Ball.

Actually, in the Soul Society Arc....I'm pretty sure only Ishida and Ichigo had any wins. Orihime didn't ever fight, and Chad got stomped by Captain Grab Ass. Well, Chad might have taken a few guys down. But Chad also has at least some experience and skill, and likely took them by surprise (both in the "hey, somebody's fighting us!" and "he's not a Shinigami, what can he do?"). I mean, he's got super-strength in his arm and all that.

But Ishida's been training his whole life, and is basically set up as a Quincy Prodigy.

Ichigo...well, that goes without saying.

Certainly your average unseated wouldn't be "Elite". But someone with Bankai?

Besides, with their lifespans, any Shinigami who actually tries could get stupidly skilled. I mean, they could study multiple styles to their fullest extent, then combine those skillsets.

strawberryman
2010-05-06, 12:07 PM
Kido: Iwamori Higure (strawberryman). Also, school teacher.

Who? :smallconfused:

My former-KC member school teacher is Hamasaki Hibiki. No idea where you got that name.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-06, 12:08 PM
Besides, with their lifespans, any Shinigami who actually tries could get stupidly skilled. I mean, they could study multiple styles to their fullest extent, then combine those skillsets.

The key word there being could, what shinigami would have the time to spend say...seventy years mastering a martial arts style when they have their duties for their division, killing hollows, etc. etc. Let alone multiple styles. :smallwink:

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 12:09 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that I think the whole huge age thing is an arbitrary thing. It isn't meant to make the Shinigami these huge, superhuman entities (that's the job of spiritual energy).

Most of the shinigami win and battle through use of extraordinary spiritual power. They have some sword skills and the like, sure, but I never got the impression that it was some masterful thing that no human could surpass... except in terms of them using spiritual power.

Yes, theoretically you can argue that because they have such massive ages, they could devote themselves to skill and they become these ungodly masters, but... that is not, I think, what was intended in canon. To do so sort of violates the game we're playing.

Incidentally, I hate the whole giant age thing anyway.

Draken
2010-05-06, 12:13 PM
Who? :smallconfused:

My former-KC member school teacher is Hamasaki Hibiki. No idea where you got that name.

Ops. My bad. Higure is CMOT's character, a living shinigami (human).

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 12:26 PM
...How in the world is a shinigami going to use their "extraordinary power" without training and gaining skills?

I mean, without shikai, a Shinigami has the following methods to fight: Kido, Zanjutsu, Hakudo. Hoho is effectively always a defensive/passive skill.

You can't use kido without training. You can't use Hakudo without training. And you can't use Zanjutsu without training.

Ultimately, they're people with swords and spells (and occasionally fists). Do you know how you don't cut off your own hand when you go fight someone with a sword?

You train.

Now. When all you have is a basic sword, and you come up against a guy with absurd strength and toughness (remember, Chad withstood a falling telephone pole before his powers manifested, as well as uprooting and swinging one) who can shoot blasts that, offhand, look equivalent to full power mid-level Kido....Yeah, you're in trouble.

But this doesn't mean they're chumps who lucked out on the superpower lottery and have no skill. They're probably...average. And Chad is way the heck above average.

I would imagine your average Unseated Shinigami to be roughly equivalent to, oh, a Greek Hoplite. Better than an untrained peasant with a sword, but nothing truly superhuman. The ones who really apply themselves to their training become officers.

As for the age thing...I'm not sure why you hate it. I mean, they're not in the physical Mortal World. Such things would act differently.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 12:29 PM
I'm not saying they're chumps, I'm saying they're not superhuman demigods who can dispatch people with skill alone.

I'm contending that a Shinigami without power is not going to be endlessly beyond the capabilities of a mortal.

I'm saying this because Tacky seems to be under the impression that Akemi somehow makes his mortal utterly obsolete, just by being a Shinigami who is good with a sword.

CMOTDibbler
2010-05-06, 12:47 PM
Ops. My bad. Higure is CMOT's character, a living shinigami (human).

Hmm? What? Oh, a mistake. I'll go back to not posting again.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 12:48 PM
I admit, I think there can be Shinigami who aren't that strong. My point was with Akemi, you said she was was specifically 'superbly skilled.'

Superbly skilled for a Shinigami seems like it would be beyond the reach of a Mortal. If that wasn't what you intended, that is alright.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 12:49 PM
Hmm? What? Oh, a mistake. I'll go back to not posting again.Is that going to be a habit that continues into the game itself? :smalltongue:

Edit:
I admit, I think there can be Shinigami who aren't that strong. My point was with Akemi, you said she was was specifically 'superbly skilled.'

Superbly skilled for a Shinigami seems like it would be beyond the reach of a Mortal. If that wasn't what you intended, that is alright.

Also, yeah, this.

CMOTDibbler
2010-05-06, 12:54 PM
Is that going to be a habit that continues into the game itself? :smalltongue:

No, no. As soon as the game starts, I'll be quite talkative. As for criticism on other characters, not really something I'm good at. :smallwink:

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 12:54 PM
Well, given my arguments here about not thinking a Shinigami is capable of truly and epically breaking human boundaries of skill, I think that might put what I said (IE, 'superbly skilled') in perspective.

I mean really, what do you call Tatsuki? Good? I think "good" fails to describe someone who is the second strongest martial artist in Japan while she has a broken arm. :smalltongue: That's superbly skilled, right there. But she gets beaten all over the place.

(Also superbly skilled are Inigo Montoya and Westley. That's some straight up awesome right there.)

Akemi is meant to be quite skilled, but I never figured Ito was just your run of the mill martial artist either, considering he is training people in it at age 29, and will be using this skill against Hollows, presumably.

Sucrose
2010-05-06, 12:59 PM
Well, why wouldn't they be able to break human levels of skill?:smallconfused: That may not have been shown in the show, but it is a completely rational extrapolation that they could, bare minimum, have the time to reach skill equivalent to the highest rank in any given martial art, while still being in their physical prime.

Not enough to trivially pwn someone black belt and up without the use of their power, no, but still notably better than a human could accomplish. Such shinigami would be rare, because it still takes the same dedication that is required to become a 9th-dan in the real world. However, they probably would exist.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 01:04 PM
Again, guys it is fine. I took Vael's baseline the wrong way. If Vael meant superbly skilled for a Mortal, that isn't as big a deal.

And no, Tani isn't normal either. He's very, very good. He's pretty much been focused on Martial Arts since he was young, except for a brief period where he lost his way. As I understand it now, Akemi could probably still beat him, Sword vs. Spear or hand to hand (the two best metrics of comparison), but it wouldn't be an utter blowout.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 01:05 PM
Well, why wouldn't they be able to break human levels of skill?:smallconfused:

For the same reasons Ichigo manages to beat everyone up.
It's just plot and setting mischief to make the story work.

Theoretically, yeah, with the given premises a Shinigami probably could become like super awesome skilled... but that's never really demonstrated, and I never thought it was the intention behind the whole age thing of the Shinigami.
But they don't, because have Shinigami as insurmountable isn't fun.

Do you want to have Shinigami who are better in every way than a human in this game? No, that's why this argument started in the first place. And that's my point as to why they weren't that way in canon, and why they shouldn't be that way now.

I think it is an honestly reasonable explanation to say that there really is a plateau of skill, where you just don't get all that much better. Your body has limitations, even if it is at its prime, and to get past that is impossible without some other form of power.
This does mean a Shinigami is usually capable of surpassing humans, yes, but not by ludicrously epic amounts... and theoretically, a prodigy among humans could reach the same level of skill by the time they hit their prime, and match a Shinigami's skill.

The Shinigami would only win through use of spiritual power.

strawberryman
2010-05-06, 01:12 PM
Sigh. Because I'm OCD and can't have an uneven number of characters, I'm debating making a Privaron Espada. Though I'm not sure what number she would be. :smalltongue: I was thinking 103 or 104.

Oh, yeah. A picture.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6439/halfdragon.jpg

As for her powers... I was thinking force breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm#forceDragon), and "cutting wind" attacks.

Sucrose
2010-05-06, 01:18 PM
Ichigo manages to beat people because Aizen's haxx extend even into the plot. I thought he explained that pretty well.:smalltongue:

As for them only winning through the use of spiritual power... maybe against a true prodigy. Of course, this assumes that their real-world combat experience is worth precisely squat. And that prodigies can't be equally dedicated when they are shinigami.

I agree that the shinigami being insurmountable isn't good for the game. However, I don't buy that we should just ignore the implications of the setting; we need to find a legitimate way for the mortals to be on par with the shinigami, not by just handwaving away the immense benefits of their considerable experience. Perhaps mortals generally have more potent abilities, once awakened, and they have an inherent ability to gain sheer power more quickly. I feel that would fit more closely with canon.

Because, frankly, my recollection is that the ones that have been throwing around spiritual power rather than skill have generally been the mortals. Chad was particularly bad about that, and Ichigo not much better.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 01:29 PM
What I'm saying is that, theoretically, the benefit from skill and training is equal for Shinigami and humans. If a Shinigami trains X amount, and a human trains X amount, they will be equally skilled. I would add to this that (which may be less realistic, but still plausible, I think), after training for a certain amount of time, training doesn't really benefit you anymore (at least not nearly as much), simply because there really is only so much you can learn.

This does mean that Shinigami will normally be better than humans, sure, but it doesn't mean their potential is better than a human's. The difference between Shinigami and human is simply that the Shinigami is the more likely of the two to have actually put time into learning this stuff, while the human hasn't.

I would like to put forward that a Shinigami, in terms of mundane skills, might not be as advanced as people think. They spend tons of time practicing spiritual skills. Kido, Hoho, Shikai, Bankai, that kind of thing. To me, that doesn't necessarily overlap with training in other ways. These things are stated to take a lot of time, which would certainly eat into a Shinigami's capability to train themselves in other areas.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-06, 01:34 PM
I would like to put forward that a Shinigami, in terms of mundane skills, might not be as advanced as people think. They spend tons of time practicing spiritual skills. Kido, Hoho, Shikai, Bankai, that kind of thing. To me, that doesn't necessarily overlap with training in other ways. These things are stated to take a lot of time, which would certainly eat into a Shinigami's capability to train themselves in other areas.

Or do their duties. Or killing hollows. :smallwink:

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 01:37 PM
Well, doing your duties is a form of practice, which helps you train.
Unless you're like, on cleaning duty.

"Being a janitorial Shinigami is terrible! D="

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 01:37 PM
Or do their duties. Or killing hollows. :smallwink:

"Or sleeping, and drinking. And flirting with single and married women both. Speaking of which..."

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-06, 01:38 PM
"Being a janitorial Shinigami is terrible! D="

"But boy can I kick dirt's ass!" :smalltongue:

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 01:38 PM
Or do their duties. Or killing hollows. :smallwink:Wouldn't training to ensure combat readiness be one of their duties and isn't killing hollows a form of live fire combat training?

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 01:40 PM
I'd like to bring up three sayings about martial arts:

"The best swordsman only has to fear the worst, because he has no idea what that idiot's going to do."

"Prowess in martial arts comes from three things: fitness, skill and determination. Being great in one aspect does not guarantee victory if your opponent has you bested in the other two."

"Never become overconfident of your skills. 80% of battle is pure luck."

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 01:41 PM
"But boy can I kick dirt's ass!" :smalltongue:

Man, now I want to make a Shinigami with a Shikai that turns their Zanpakuto into a broom.
And a spirit that looks like Hannelore. (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1416)

Sucrose
2010-05-06, 01:44 PM
Vael: I could see the argument there. Once they get to what they consider an acceptable level of skill in mundane fighting techniques, they move on to the skills that would provide more benefit than getting their crescent kicks quite perfect. I'd still argue that there would remain the possibility of someone forgoing the other techniques for pure martial skill. For example, 11th Division.

Further, fighting in Shikai (and sometimes Bankai) very much overlaps with physical skills, at least with those who have direct-combat type zanpaktou, like Ikkaku and Shuuhei.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 01:48 PM
Man, now I want to make a Shinigami with a Shikai that turns their Zanpakuto into a broom.
And a spirit that looks like Hannelore. (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1416)

Yes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMRy238AJ-g&feature=related

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 01:54 PM
"Did someone call for me?"

Angry Janitor is now in the registry.

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 01:57 PM
Hehe, nice.

Also, Spike seems pretty handy with that broom.

And before I forget- since no one seemed to have any objections to edited Akemi, I stuck her in the registry with my other characters.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 01:58 PM
Yeah. Any commander with half a brain makes sure his troops have time to a.)unwind, and b.)actually train their skills in an environment where Hollows aren't trying to eat their face.

Because that way, they get better at killing Hollows.

As for a "plateau" of skills...In real life, don't martial artists always keep improving? Until they are physically incapable of doing anything?

I mean, you always see or hear about 90 year old martial artists being able to kick your ass. And it's likely very true. A 70 year old martial artist would lose to a 90 year old, but win against a 50 year old, assuming same style and training methods. The combination of greater repetition for muscle memory, as well as greater experience against a wider range of foes, would combine to make a deadlier warrior.

Now imagine someone who's still in their prime.

Now, mind you. Shinigami can't spend all day training every day. But assume they spend 1 day a week training themselves in physical combat of some sort, if they do so at all.

If they're 120, that's still like someone with, say, 25 years of 5 days a week training. It adds up.

Your average unseated would, again, in my mind, be equal to a member of the Roman Army, so far as "skill level". Competent, well trained, but not gods among men. This of course assumes they don't focus themselves fully on kido or some such.

I mean, it's a graded scale, to be sure. With one end being "Fresh Academy grad who's no better than a brown belt (or whatever mid-range rank in a Mortal martial art)" and the other being "Old Man Yama, who's forgotten more about fighting than half the Earth ever learned". *Shrugs*

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 02:01 PM
Indeed.

What squad was Akemi in?

AmberVael
2010-05-06, 02:05 PM
She was in the Kido Corp, actually.

I admit I have some reservations about it, but in some ways I think it is a good fit. She's a highly unusual Shinigami in a number of ways, after all.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 02:07 PM
I suppose Ude wouldn't have known her then.

Prime32
2010-05-06, 02:36 PM
And a spirit that looks like Hannelore. (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1416)Actually, a "witch" shinigami could be interesting...

Or maybe an arrancar, since they could have their zanpakuto's sealed form be a broom. A Bount has the possibility of turning their broom into a cat, as well as being the origin of the "witch" image.

I may have to call dibs on this concept.

Kuroimaken
2010-05-06, 03:38 PM
On the experience field: I find it somewhat amusing that no one has brought up Chad and Ishida yet.

Both of them are teenagers. Ishida in particular is established by canon to have trained from early childhood under his grandfather, thereby mastering (or at least learning) a variety of techniques such as Hirenkyaku and (whatever its name was, the technique that allows him to "puppeteer" his broken body), which are comparable to their Shinigami equivalents (*points at that Kamaitachi dude, who was either such a complete idiot as to have never heard of Hohou or genuinely surprised that Ishida could use Hirenkyaku*). Chad, on the other hand, spent the vast majority of his childhood and teenage years getting into fights. By the time they get to Soul Society, both end up fighting Captains. Ishida actually manages to win mostly by sheer increase of spiritual pressure (with the little help of his friend, the plot) while Chad still manages to impress Shunsui despite his lack of finesse.

I'd argue that time spent training in Soul Society is potentially less fruitful than time spent training on Earth; failing that, the quality of the teachers comes to mind as well. Shunsui and Ukitake are considered fairly new as Captains go, but they were trained by the mountain-cleaving man Yamamoto himself. Chad had much less time to train, but he DID train under one of the best teachers available (Yoruichi). The same goes for Ichigo, in addition to the whole "he's a prodigy substitute shinigami" thing.

It's all fairly relative in the end. Also keep in mind that even the "badass normals" in Bleach always end up having a small measure of spiritual power they aren't even aware of anyway.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-06, 03:42 PM
I'd argue that time spent training in Soul Society is potentially less fruitful than time spent training on Earth; failing that, the quality of the teachers comes to mind as well. Shunsui and Ukitake are considered fairly new as Captains go, but they were trained by the mountain-cleaving man Yamamoto himself. Chad had much less time to train, but he DID train under one of the best teachers available (Yoruichi). The same goes for Ichigo, in addition to the whole "he's a prodigy substitute shinigami" thing.

Sorry to detract from an otherwise excellent point, but Shunsui and Ukitake are far from 'new' as captains go, having already been captains for a while during the Turn Back the Pendulum arc. :smallwink:

strawberryman
2010-05-06, 03:43 PM
The technique you're thinking of is Ransotengai.

...And yeah, where did you get that Shunsui and Ukitake are newer captains? :smallconfused: I was under the impression they were a couple of the oldest ones.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 03:44 PM
...When on God's bountiful green Earth are Shunsui and Ukitake considered "new" captains? Like, please, cite me evidence.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 03:48 PM
Actually, a "witch" shinigami could be interesting...

Or maybe an arrancar, since they could have their zanpakuto's sealed form be a broom. A Bount has the possibility of turning their broom into a cat, as well as being the origin of the "witch" image.

I may have to call dibs on this concept.

You know, I was considering making a such a Shinigami, but decided one character with middle-life crisis was enough for me.

That said, she would have been a closet otaku, had a perma-release flying mop as her zanpakuto, and she would've gone around shouting "My mop will cleanse the Heavens!"

Prime32
2010-05-06, 05:21 PM
...I just had to draw a witch arrancar.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Other/witch.png

Boo
2010-05-06, 05:24 PM
...When on God's bountiful green Earth are Shunsui and Ukitake considered "new" captains? Like, please, cite me evidence.

When they were new.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 05:28 PM
Which was, like, millenia ago. Or more.

By the way, Boo, how's Michiko's history and division report?

Boo
2010-05-06, 05:31 PM
Well, I've finished half her story (it's very rough, but up there to see) and the division report is barely finished. I'll have more time this weekend what with school and all.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 05:35 PM
That's half of her story? It's longer than several character bios I've written. :smalleek:

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-06, 05:49 PM
But assume they spend 1 day a week training themselves in physical combat of some sort, if they do so at all.

I just wanted to quickly dispel any notions that this is true. At least the part about training for only one day a week. If you train for one day a week, you won't improve. You might even get weaker if that's any less than your usual regiment. There's a reason why athletes have conditioning or practice every day, and you see monks get up at 5 AM every morning in movies. Skipping a day or two a week is hell to make up, because your body is already not used to the exercise.

Steilos
2010-05-06, 05:51 PM
Edited my character to adress the minor critizism it got, and reg'd.
...My god, 6 new pages.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 05:54 PM
Stellos, where is your character '^_^

It would be helpful if you at least provided a link to the bio.

Free Hand
2010-05-06, 05:59 PM
I've had time to think up several character ideas. Now before I tramp through the efforts of transferring them from my brain and into my monitor, I thought it best to sell them here first.

A salaryman whos a living Shinigami. I thought an interesting point would be that one of his parents or ancestors is an active character in the soul society, maybe even a person that appears younger then himself.

A delinquent with magical girl powers, you know cuz this rp needs something ridiculously out of place and irrelevant just like in the real thing!

An Espada made from the souls of abandoned orphans. I have this idea that it's true power can only be channelled through other hollow beings.

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-06, 06:00 PM
An Espada made from the souls of abandoned orphans. I have this idea that it's true power can only be channelled through other hollow beings.

This one. :smallwink:

Prime32
2010-05-06, 06:03 PM
A delinquent with magical girl powers, you know cuz this rp needs something ridiculously out of place and irrelevant just like in the real thing!No, this one.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 06:04 PM
A salaryman whos a living Shinigami. I thought an interesting point would be that one of his parents or ancestors is an active character in the soul society, maybe even a person that appears younger then himself.
There is one already. (Iwamori Higure) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8344637&postcount=32) Though there's enough desing space for another.

A delinquent with magical girl powers, you know cuz this rp needs something ridiculously out of place and irrelevant just like in the real thing!
There pretty much is one already, too. (Michiko Inagawa-Kai) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8157849&postcount=5)

This.... hmmm. Aspect of Death: Abandonment? Yeah, go ahead.

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 06:07 PM
I have an urge to play a Mr. T lookalike that allows the souls your Espada is made of to pass on peacefully by supplying ample milk to the orphanage they were last in and building a community center next to it.

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 06:07 PM
Though do remember the general rule on how the Hollow Life Cycle works, Free Hand.

Also, I object to "magical girl" because it either ends up copying Michiko and/or Sayaka....or ends up like Nanoha, which is a bit too varied and powerful, all things considered. :smallwink:

horngeek
2010-05-06, 06:10 PM
or ends up like Nanoha, which is a bit too varied and powerful, all things considered. :smallwink:

She 'befriends' Hollows! :smalltongue:

Funny thing about Nanoha is that she actually likes having powers.

Prime32
2010-05-06, 06:11 PM
Also, I object to "magical girl" because it either ends up copying Michiko and/or Sayaka....or ends up like Nanoha, which is a bit too varied and powerful, all things considered. :smallwink:If you do it, make her a genki fangirl. Or have her only act like that in magical girl form, so that it would ruin her reputation if anyone discovered who she was.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 06:12 PM
Also, I object to "magical girl" because it either ends up copying Michiko and/or Sayaka....or ends up like Nanoha, which is a bit too varied and powerful, all things considered. :smallwink:
Just for note, I was objecting to Delinquent part. There's enough room for the whole Sailor Senshi, we just can't have similar background for each one. :smalltongue:

strawberryman
2010-05-06, 06:12 PM
Anyhow. Character #8 (I'm leaving Nero in the dark until later) basic concept.

Talon Gunvhald, Privaron Espada 104

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 114

Reiatsu(Speaking Color)/Cero: Indigo/Transparent

Aspect of Death: Vengeance

Appearance:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6439/halfdragon.jpg
Talon looks like a teenage girl in most facets of her appearance. Her skin is almost preternaturally tan most of the time, and her body is slim. Her assets are average. Her hair, a silvery-gossamer color, is worn long and slightly messy, covering the right half of her face. Her eyes are yellow and slightly reptilian in nature with slitted pupils.
Talon's choice of dress usually tends to flaunt her body, despite the fact that she's fairly average.
Talon's mask fragment is part of a draconic-looking maw on the right side of her face.

Personality:
Talon is, at best, a complete bitch. And at worst a heartless, malicious monster. She only thinks of herself, and occasionally passes her time with sadistic torture of those below her. She holds herself as superior to everyone, despite her fall from being an Espada. While she will rarely, if ever, do anything that she can be held accountable for, sometimes her sense for revenge can override her judgment. As her aspect suggests, she is first and foremost a being of retribution, so wronging her will usually incite some sort of plot for revenge.

History:
Talon was obviously the former Cuarta Espada. How she lost her position is something she rarely discusses, and usually holds it as something that doesn't put her at blame; political plots, etc.

Zanpaktou: Dragão da Ventania (Gale Dragon)
Sealed Form:
Dragão da Ventania takes the form of a long tachi with a decorative dragon hilt (http://www.heavenlyswords.com/images/P/highlander-dragon-sword-20-C41.jpg). The sheathe she uses is black, with purple trim.

Resurreccion: "Cut the Sky, Dragão da Ventania."
When released, Dragão da Ventania dissolves, and Talon grows horns, a pair of wings, and a tail, all with a scaly, purple texture. The hierro on these new appendages are considerably tougher than her skin, adding some defensive options in being able to block most opponent's attacks. Naturally, given the wings, Talon is able to fly, gaining altitude even in the presence of sekiseki.

Blood Wind: Talon can control "wind" with her hands, sending gales of forceful energy that cut as effectively as a blade at range. Occasionally, one may notice that the attacks look like transparent disembodied claws.

Forceful Breath: Talon can also expel a wave of forceful "wind" that lethally bludgeons and pushes back anything caught in the area.

Segunda Etapa: Not yet achieved.
In Segunda Etapa, Talon's entire body is covered by draconic "armor"... however, the appearance is hardly apparent, as in this form, Talon forces light to bend around her, making her effectively invisible, a transparent mass. Only when she stands still or is close in can a foe begin to see her, and it doesn't make her ability to move any more quiet.

Battle Stats:
Physical Strength: 60 (Talon possesses a fair amount of physical strength as an arrancar.)
Offense: 60 (Being a former Espada, Talon is fairly skilled in using her techniques in an offensive manner.)
Defense: 40 (Talon's hierro and dodging ability is fairly average.)
Mobility: 70 (Being able to fly in her ressurreccion, and a fairly skilled practitioner of sonido, Talon's mobility is certainly her most impressive aspect.)
Intelligence: 60 (Talon isn't a battle genius, but she can usually think her way out of a tough spot.)
Cero/Reiatsu: 40 (Talon's reiatsu and cero power are just below average.)

Possible Connections:

Other Privaron
Alejandro?
Other?

I have some plot ideas I'd discuss with Edge on being the former 4th Espada. Since I found as I went on there were a few parallels. :smalltongue:

KnightDisciple
2010-05-06, 06:13 PM
I suppose if it were more like the "Sailor Senshi" type powerset, that wouldn't be too bad.

Just that my first thought with "Magical Girl" was the White Devil. <_<

Draken
2010-05-06, 06:14 PM

Alejandro was that (the orphans part) in the current game. Not sure if he will stay that.

---

Speaking of Espada, what happened to Edward Callahan?

Edge
2010-05-06, 06:21 PM
Aléjandro was not specifically orphans, just children. He probably won't keep that aspect in Reborn.

And Berry, sling those plot points my way. I'll be up most of tonight keeping an eye on the general election over here in Britain. :smalltongue:

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 06:21 PM
Just for note, I was objecting to Delinquent part. There's enough room for the whole Sailor Senshi, we just can't have similar background for each one. :smalltongue:
Well maybe Callos won't mind if the characters end up being friends at the start of the story. Michiko could be the one that started this character on the path of delinquency. It'd give her another person to use in the delinquent plot Callos wanted to do. Of course yeah, we need his opinion.

Speaking of Espada, what happened to Edward Callahan?
I've dropped the idea at least for now since I wasn't feeling too enthused by it but I might do another entry with a similar concept.

No, this one.
I wonder if he'll use Puni Puni Poemi or Magical Witch Punie-chan as inspiration. trollface.jpg

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 06:25 PM
Well, yeah, if it is okay with Callos, a posse of magical Yakuza chicks would be funny. :smallbiggrin:

Too bad on Callahan. He was an amusing character. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Also, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon is the one and only magical girl show. There's no need for any others. :smalltongue:

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 06:27 PM
Maybe I'll reinstate him as a candidate. If other people would like to have their characters interact with him then sure.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 06:30 PM
*Jumps on Hachirou's head*

"Yes! Bring him back!"

"Hey!"

horngeek
2010-05-06, 06:32 PM
EDIT: Also, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon is the one and only magical girl show. There's no need for any others. :smalltongue:

STARLIGHT BREAKER!

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 06:35 PM
You know, I watched the whole show twice when I was 10. With German dubs. I didn't understand a damn thing, but kept watching because I thought it was awesome!

... maybe the fact that it had a lot of pretty girls had something to do with it. Maybe.

Prime32
2010-05-06, 06:37 PM
I wonder if he'll use Puni Puni Poemi or Magical Witch Punie-chan as inspiration. trollface.jpgI have heard terrifying things about the first, and I assume the second is just as bad.

STARLIGHT BREAKER!You forgot to say Zenryoku zenkai! first. :smalltongue: (or if you prefer, "I summon the light of destruction down upon my prisoners. Stars, gather, and become the light which pierces everything. Tear through everything in a blaze of light.")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYa9pV7l5w

Can't we just exclude Nanoha from the category? It's not like anyone could call Negima a harem comedy with a straight face.

horngeek
2010-05-06, 06:47 PM
Good point. :smalltongue:

strawberryman
2010-05-06, 06:50 PM
Any comments/concerns on Talon? :smalltongue:

nothingclever
2010-05-06, 06:54 PM
You forgot to say Zenryoku zenkai! first. :smalltongue: (or if you prefer, "I summon the light of destruction down upon my prisoners. Stars, gather, and become the light which pierces everything. Tear through everything in a blaze of light.")

Pffffft. Catchphrases are pointless if you don't first have a theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJx3U4ZgthQ).

*Jumps on Hachirou's head*

"Yes! Bring him back!"

Which character is this supposed to be?

Moon Wolf
2010-05-06, 06:56 PM
Any comments/concerns on Talon? :smalltongue:

Yeah, I have one.

Nice bikini wax!

:smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 07:05 PM
Which character is this supposed to be?

"Edward, you dolt!"

Edit: misinterpreted your question: the one talking is Jin, Hachirou's sword spirit.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-05-06, 07:16 PM
Tark Winald, Privaron Espada

Height: 7’0
Weight: 247 lb.
Speech/Reiatsu/Cero color: Sierra
Aspect of Death: BEAR!!!
Mask Fragment: His mask is stylized Bear Head. It sits atop his head.
Hollow Hole: Despite what most people believe, Tark’s Hollow Hole is not in his head, where his Brain should be. It sits on the left side of his body, where his Kidney should be.

Physical Description:
A huge man, Tark has blonde hair, though that can be difficult to see. His arms and legs are massive affairs, corded with muscle and sinew. He doesn’t wear much clothing, a furry cape, loin cloth, and boots being all that he keeps around. He doesn’t see any reason to wear anything else. He views himself as an example of perfection, and sees little reason to hide it.

Personality:

Tark is a simple man. He knows what he wants. He doesn’t really know how to go about getting it, but he does his best. Tark believes any problem can be solved with an Axe, and enough force. If one chop doesn’t work, a couple more will. He believes the reason this theory hasn’t proved as correct as he might have hoped is that he isn’t strong enough. However, the big man is extremely capable in the one area he can be trusted to deal with, rampaging with ferocity through the enemy. Despite his many failings, this, more then anything keeps him useful to Von Geister.

Powers:
Tark is extremely powerful, especially for a Privarion. Unfortunately, he’s a moron, who has little to not concept of tactics, strategy, or defense.

Cero: Nothing special. He fires them from the Bear Mask. He dislikes using them. His Axe, or his hands are his techniques of choice.

Bala: Again, nothing incredible. Again, he fires them from the Bear Mask. He dislikes using them. His Axe, or his hands are his techniques of choice.

Hierro: Tark’s sole defense. It is enough to keep him going though. The Warrior can shrug off blows that would slay many.

Garganta: Nothing special here. He can use it, and does, if he has reason to.

Sonido: Actually, he is surprisingly skilled with this technique. Which is to say, he possesses any skill at all. He uses it to charge things with his Axe. He can’t turn, and he can’t do any tricks with it. But can move fast/

Zanpakutou: Hibernação (Hibernation)

Sealed Form:
A massive Battleaxe, made of White Bone, looking much the same as the Hollow Mask. Despite this appearance, the Weapon is as weighty as it should be, striking with immense force.

Resurrección:
"Desperte de Hibernação"

When released, Tark transforms in a Half man, half bear, his head entire replaced by a Bear’s. Where fur should be, instead he has bone, stylized into the appearance of Fur. His Axe is gone in this form, replaced with the cruel claws at the end of his hands. He is even stronger then before in this form, and his Hierro grows in Power. He fires Bala and Cero from his Mouth

Rending Claws: His Claws are amazing sharp in this form, ripping through most armor, and piercing most Hierro. They will damage even Zanpaktou in this form. The best, and perhaps only defense

Pinning Charge: In this form, a single mistake against Tark can be fatal. After being hit by a charge, his opponents discover that his Claws have an additional effect. Even after he withdraws them, the enemy will find it impossible to move. If they manage to force themselves to, they will find their movements slowed, dragging them down. The only way to get rid of the effect is to reach inside the wound, and rip out the claws Tark leaves behind.

Segunda Etapa: Hasn’t been achieved yet
Tark will complete the transformation into a Bear, becoming a massive specimen of the Beast. In this form, mostly his abilities will just increase. The only other real change will be him gaining the additional attack of his Maw.

I haven't given him a background yet. Anybody want to be the one who beat him? Anybody with the slightest bit of wit could probably beat him, especially one on one.

Prime32
2010-05-06, 07:21 PM
Pffffft. Catchphrases are pointless if you don't first have a theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJx3U4ZgthQ).Did someone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjD7Hht9nlk) say theme music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsSjvKOdL8M)?

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-06, 07:21 PM
Looks good, though I really have to say that I think that most people will agree that "BEAR!" is not a viable aspect of death.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 07:24 PM
"Bear"... lets see...

... is there a shorter way of saying "getting lost in the woods / failing in life due to poor survival skills"?

Prime32
2010-05-06, 07:25 PM
Looks good, though I really have to say that I think that most people will agree that "BEAR!" is not a viable aspect of death.It's Wonderweiss's aspect. Remember kids, only you can prevent Ryujin Jakka.

KnightDisciple
Tark Winald, Privaron Espada

Height: 7’0
Weight: 247 lb.
Speech/Reiatsu/Cero color: Sierra
Aspect of Death: BEAR!
Mask Fragment: His mask is stylized Bear Head. It sits atop his head.
Hollow Hole: Despite what most people believe, Tark’s Hollow Hole is not in his head, where his Brain should be. It sits on the left side of his body, where his Kidney should be.

Physical Description:
A huge man, Tark has blonde hair, though that can be difficult to see. His arms and legs are massive affairs, corded with muscle and sinew. He doesn’t wear much clothing, a furry cape, loin cloth, and boots being all that he keeps around. He doesn’t see any reason to wear anything else. He views himself as an example of perfection, and sees little reason to hide it.

Personality:

Tark is a simple man. He knows what he wants. He doesn’t really know how to go about getting it, but he does his best. Tark believes any problem can be solved with an Axe, and enough force. If one chop doesn’t work, a couple more will. He believes the reason this theory hasn’t proved as correct as he might have hoped is that he isn’t strong enough. However, the big man is extremely capable in the one area he can be trusted to deal with, rampaging with ferocity through the enemy. Despite his many failings, this, more then anything keeps him useful to Von Geister.

Powers:
Tark is extremely powerful, especially for a Privarion. Unfortunately, he’s a moron, who has little to not concept of tactics, strategy, or defense.

Cero: Nothing special. He fires them from the Bear Mask. He dislikes using them. His Axe, or his hands are his techniques of choice.

Bala: Again, nothing incredible. Again, he fires them from the Bear Mask. He dislikes using them. His Axe, or his hands are his techniques of choice.

Hierro: Tark’s sole defense. It is enough to keep him going though. The Warrior can shrug off blows that would slay many.

Garganta: Nothing special here. He can use it, and does, if he has reason to.

Sonido: Actually, he is surprisingly skilled with this technique. Which is to say, he possesses any skill at all. He uses it to charge things with his Axe. He can’t turn, and he can’t do any tricks with it. But can move fast/

Zanpakutou: Hibernação (Hibernation)

Sealed Form:
A massive Battleaxe, made of White Bone, looking much the same as the Hollow Mask. Despite this appearance, the Weapon is as weighty as it should be, striking with immense force.

Resurrección:
"Desperte de Hibernação"

When released, Tark transforms in a Half man, half bear, his head entire replaced by a Bear’s. Where fur should be, instead he has bone, stylized into the appearance of Fur. His Axe is gone in this form, replaced with the cruel claws at the end of his hands. He is even stronger then before in this form, and his Hierro grows in Power. He fires Bala and Cero from his Mouth

Rending Claws: His Claws are amazing sharp in this form, ripping through most armor, and piercing most Hierro. They will damage even Zanpaktou in this form. The best, and perhaps only defense

Pinning Charge: In this form, a single mistake against Tark can be fatal. After being hit by a charge, his opponents discover that his Claws have an additional effect. Even after he withdraws them, the enemy will find it impossible to move. If they manage to force themselves to, they will find their movements slowed, dragging them down. The only way to get rid of the effect is to reach inside the wound, and rip out the claws Tark leaves behind.

Segunda Etapa: Hasn’t been achieved yet
Tark will complete the transformation into a Bear, becoming a massive specimen of the Beast. In this form, mostly his abilities will just increase. The only other real change will be him gaining the additional attack of his Maw.

I haven't given him a background yet. Anybody want to be the one who beat him? Anybody with the slightest bit of wit could probably beat him, especially one on one.I have this sudden urge...

To create....an American Ambassador Character. He'd be the perfect counter to this character.

Take a look:http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/KnightDisciple/ColbertPaladin.jpg

Krazddndfreek
"Bear"... lets see...

... is there a shorter way of saying "getting lost in the woods / failing in life due to poor survival skills"?How about weakness? Idiocy? :smalltongue:

Moon Wolf
2010-05-06, 07:27 PM
I have this sudden urge...

To create....an American Ambassador Character. He'd be the perfect counter to this character.

Take a look:http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/KnightDisciple/ColbertPaladin.jpg

COLBERT!!! :smallbiggrin:

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-06, 07:27 PM
How about... Sloth?

horngeek
2010-05-06, 07:28 PM
KD, have x amount of internets.

What is x, you say?

Whatever you want. :smalltongue:

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-06, 07:28 PM
We could just go off and steal one from canon and make his aspect "Rage"