PDA

View Full Version : The Shin'Tao Nomads

Kinslayer777
2010-05-05, 03:40 PM
The Shin'Tao
http://th01.deviantart.com/fs12/300W/i/2006/303/8/1/The_Pedals_Fall_by_Coyox.jpg

The Shin'Tao Nomads are a race shrouded in quiet mystery to the outside world. Peacefully exclusive, the Shin'Tao Nomads are a wise, peaceful race of bipedal wolves that share a common appreciation of nature. Through their appreciation and observance of nature, humans have proven to be an intriguing, but unapproachable, point of interest to the Shin'Tao. Through deep meditation and centering of self with nature, the Shin'Tao have harnessed the ability to alter their form to that of mankind, so that natural observation of human life could be achieved. Walking another's path is an integral part of true understanding to the Shin'Tao. The Shin'Tao adhere strictly to the philosophy of Gan'Jin, True Sight, which includes 3 points of mental focus:

Wisdom- The right view and intention
Self-Discipline- The right speech, action, and livelihood
Concentration- The right effort, mindfulness, and focus

All 3 points of focus are interconnected and equally important. Few Shin'Tao forsake their cultural philosophy, spending most of their time in deep meditation or quiet observance of nature. The Shin'Tao are a severely group-oriented people, keeping individual thought to one's self for the sake of group harmony. Because of their strong communal ties, few Shin'Tao leave their clans permanently, though many travel to acquire higher wisdom through a greater understanding of the natural world.

A Shin'Tao shares great resemblance to a werewolf, but lacks any ferocious nature stigmatized towards that image. Their hair varies between white, dirty blonde, brunette, and black, though red has been seen from time to time. They stand at about 6-7' tall when fully erect, though closer to 6' in normal standing position. In human form, they resemble normal humans (height decreasing to between 5-6' on average). Some aspect of their wolf form is always apparent in their human form's appearance (e.g., sharp canine teeth, hairiness, etc.).

The Shin'Tao normally dwell in the highlands and mountains, closer to the moon that they feel a strange magnetism towards. There they have built temples of mediation out of the mountainside. And there they search their inner depths for true spiritual enlightenment.

The Shin'Tao are organized by clans, headed by a chief elder, elders being seen as the wisest and most capable of informed leadership. Respect and honor are given to the chief elder, as most Shin'Tao readily accept the decision of one without without question.

Alignment: Mostly Lawful or True Neutral, though Any alignment is available.

Racial Traits:

+2 Wis, +2 Int, -2 Str: The Shin'Tao are perceptive and reasoning, yet, by virtue of their mental focus on the interior as opposed to the exterior, and thus lack of strenuous exercise, they are weaker physically.
Medium: As medium creatures, the Shin'Tao have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
A Shin'Tao's base land speed is 40 ft in wolf form and 30 ft in human form.
Low-Light Vision: A Shin'Tao can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Worse than it's bark: While in wolf-form, a Shin'Tao gains a bite attack which deals 1d6 plus Strength modifier for medium creatures.
Sharp nails: While in wolf-form, a Shin'Tao gains a claw attack which deals 1d4 plus Strength modifier for medium creatures.
Scent (Ex): Th Shin'Tao have the scent (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Scent) ability in any form.
Alternate form (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Alternate_form) (Su): A Shin'Tao can assume the form of a human. Changing to or from human form is a standard action.
A slain Shin'Tao reverts to its wolf form, although it remains dead. Separated body parts retain their human form, however.
Automatic languages: Common and Sylvan.
Favored class: Druid

Optional Bonus Racial Feats:

Nature Empathic
Prerequisites: Shin'Tao
Benefits: You gain the ability to use Detect Animals or Plants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectAnimalsOrPlants.htm) at will.
Natural Observance
Prerequisites: Shin'Tao
Benefits: You gain the ability to use Hide from Animals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromAnimals.htm) at will.
Fetch
Prerequisites: Shin'Tao, 10 Ranks in Handle Animal
Benefits: You gain the ability to use Dominate Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominateAnimal.htm) on any canine at will. This ability does not effect other Shin'Tao.
True Seeing (Epic feat)
Prerequisites: Shin'Tao, 20 Ranks in Spot, Wis 28
Benefits: You gain the permanent ability of True Seeing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueSeeing.htm) .
Kindred Sympathetic
Prerequisite: Shin'Tao, 12 Ranks in Handle Animal
Benefit: You gain the ability to use Sympathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sympathy.htm) on canines 1/day.
Animal Senses
Prerequisites: Shin'Tao, 18 Ranks in Spot
Benefit: You gain the ability to use Foresight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foresight.htm) 1/day.

Balanced for Pathfinder. LA +1 for 3.5.

Primal Fury
2010-05-05, 04:30 PM
Hah! I love it! They're like werewolves, but not a crime against nature. Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Do have a little question though: Why do True Seeing and Animal Senses have BAB requirements? Are you trying to make it not attainable until a certain level? If so I'd recommend using skill ranks. Spot for True Seeing of course, but I'm not sure about Animal Senses.

Ah! And the level adjustment is... what exactly? I mean I'd love for there to not be one, but this looks decidedly better than the base races. I'd say LA +1, maybe +2.

Kinslayer777
2010-05-05, 04:45 PM
Hah! I love it! They're like werewolves, but not a crime against nature. Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Do have a little question though: Why do True Seeing and Animal Senses have BAB requirements? Are you trying to make it not attainable until a certain level? If so I'd recommend using skill ranks. Spot for True Seeing of course, but I'm not sure about Animal Senses.

Ah! And the level adjustment is... what exactly? I mean I'd love for there to not be one, but this looks decidedly better than the base races. I'd say LA +1, maybe +2.

Glad you like it! Yeah I'm not too experienced with balancing feats so I just upped the BAB. Your suggestions sounds much more logical. What rank requirement would you put for Spot? I'm thinking at least 12th level.

And for the level adjustment, I use Pathfinder solely for their racial bonuses as I like it much more than 3.5. Within that realm, it is balanced, to my knowledge anyway. I might be wrong though.

sscheib
2010-05-05, 06:06 PM
Awesoooooooooooome. I'd have to agree with Primal Fury in ..well almost every single aspect of his post. Very cool take on the "werewolf".

I love it.

Primal Fury
2010-05-05, 06:16 PM
Glad you like it! Yeah I'm not too experienced with balancing feats so I just upped the BAB. Your suggestions sounds much more logical. What rank requirement would you put for Spot? I'm thinking at least 12th level.
12th level? Then you want a skill rank requirement of 15. Also, you probably don't want to give them the ability to use Dominate Animal the other high level spells at will. You might want to go with... 3/day for Dominate Animal... and 1/day for Sympathy and Foresight. Hide From Animals, Detect Animals and Plants are fine for at will abilities though.

Another thing. It's customary to have the damage of claws one step below that of the bite, so 1d4 damage.

Kinslayer777
2010-05-05, 06:50 PM
12th level? Then you want a skill rank requirement of 15. Also, you probably don't want to give them the ability to use Dominate Animal the other high level spells at will. You might want to go with... 3/day for Dominate Animal... and 1/day for Sympathy and Foresight. Hide From Animals, Detect Animals and Plants are fine for at will abilities though.

Another thing. It's customary to have the damage of claws one step below that of the bite, so 1d4 damage.

Thank you for the input! Do you think Dominate Animal at will is overpowered when restricted to just dominating wolves?

Also what about True Seeing?

Primal Fury
2010-05-05, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the input! Do you think Dominate Animal at will is overpowered when restricted to just dominating wolves?
It's not that it's overpowered per se, but... I've got an idea, how about requiring ranks in Handle Animal for that feat? That way, they don't get it at level one if they choose to take it. This way, they get it a full... 4 levels before anyone else. And if you go that route, you might be able to expand it to all canines to make it a little more useful. Wolves aren't underwater, in Hell, or in the Far Realm, and feats should never be useless.

Also what about True Seeing?
Sorry, missed that one. Yeah, once per day... maybe twice.

Kinslayer777
2010-05-05, 07:07 PM
It's not that it's overpowered per se, but... I've got an idea, how about requiring ranks in Handle Animal for that feat? That way, they don't get it at level one if they choose to take it. This way, they get it a full... 4 levels before anyone else. And if you go that route, you might be able to expand it to all canines to make it a little more useful. Wolves aren't underwater, in Hell, or in the Far Realm, and feats should never be useless.

Sorry, missed that one. Yeah, once per day... maybe twice.

Brilliant! Really loving this input! What do you think of the feats now?

Now, with true seeing, I would like to make that a permanent ability, as it fits in with the spiritual philosophy of the Shin'Tao. Is there any balanced way you can think of (maybe severe prereqs) that would allow for a permanent True Seeing? Even though it is a high level spell, it would only be truly useful in certain circumstances. I may be off though.

ninjaneer003
2010-05-05, 08:57 PM
They look really good and balanced out

Hyooz
2010-05-05, 09:15 PM
Definitely needs an LA. +1 bare, BARE minimum. Probably +2.

Net +2 to ability scores (few classes care that much about Cha, too, while Int and Wis are huge favorites.)
40ft base speed.
2 natural attacks
And SCENT.

This is really good.

sscheib
2010-05-05, 09:16 PM
I would think for the Pathfinders races, it's balanced. Am I wrong to think that?

Sydonai
2010-05-06, 01:03 PM
I'd remove the bite and make the claws stronger.
(They are serene monks who BITE YOU IN THE FACE!?!?)

Primal Fury
2010-05-06, 01:21 PM
They're serene monks with wolf head instead of people heads. Of course they're gonna bite you.

Sydonai
2010-05-06, 02:19 PM
But they have claws to, I can easily see them having a taboo against tasting the flesh of sentient beings.

Primal Fury
2010-05-06, 02:40 PM
All the more reason to give them the bite attack. They may not be allowed to do it, but the temptation to do so is there. It's like the Wookies; those who use their claws in battle are considered raging beasts, but they still have them.

ninjaneer003
2010-05-06, 02:48 PM
i must agree with primal fury

sscheib
2010-05-06, 05:09 PM
I don't really understand why they wouldn't have a bite attack. If their teeth are sharp, they are a potential weapon. It doesn't have to be used, but they have that option. Not every person is going to choose to be the quintessential Shin'Tou, mind you.

Sydonai
2010-05-06, 05:43 PM
Then just add it as an Exalted feat, in exchange for not using their bite they gain stronger claws.

Kinslayer777
2010-05-07, 04:29 PM
Then just add it as an Exalted feat, in exchange for not using their bite they gain stronger claws.
I suppose you could just take the race and tweak it for your own purposes, if you wish. I agree with sschieb that they have the option but most likely won't bite others. Also, I don't see why not using the option to bite someone would improve your claw attack. Not trying to be mean.

ninjaneer003
2010-05-09, 07:26 PM
Having the option to bite people in the face at any moment probably is a good way to keep peace with others. I know i sure would be friendly if i ever met one

Tibbaerrohwen
2010-05-10, 10:10 AM
I like the race. I don't think it feels like a lycanthrop so much as the Hengeyokai race from Oriental Adventures. I didn't see a Level Adjustment for the race, maybe I'm just unobservent, but I feel it definitely needs one.

paddyfool
2010-05-10, 12:00 PM
It might help if you specified this was for Pathfinder in the first page header. In 3.5, I'd agree with prior posters that this should be +1 LA.

Kinslayer777
2010-06-20, 08:43 AM
I like the race. I don't think it feels like a lycanthrop so much as the Hengeyokai race from Oriental Adventures. I didn't see a Level Adjustment for the race, maybe I'm just unobservent, but I feel it definitely needs one.

I added a +1 LA for 3.5. I think that's pretty fair. Changed their -2 in Cha to a -2 to Str, as I was originally under the impression that Cha was based on how one is perceived in social settings which is dead wrong. Since I don't see their personalities being weak, I put the -2 into Str since they aren't focused on muscle/physical power at all.

Spiryt
2010-06-20, 08:59 AM
For a minor nitpick:

Their "standard" fluff says "Lawful" from basically any point of view, so I don't really understand " mostly True Neutral".

Kinslayer777
2010-06-21, 11:32 AM
For a minor nitpick:

Their "standard" fluff says "Lawful" from basically any point of view, so I don't really understand " mostly True Neutral".

Mmmm changed it to either Lawful or True Neutral. Bit too philosophical for me but I see it like this: They aim for True Neutral (Seeing things as they really are) with their scope of Wisdom, etc. (Law). So some aim and miss and some hit the mark of True Neutral.