PDA

View Full Version : Deity help (D&D 4.0)

MoriHikari
2010-05-05, 09:05 PM
So I'm trying to come up with a fake Deity for my campaign and I could use some help deciding what he should be deity over.

here's the short verison

I'm running a campaign thats rather complicated. there are a few things all going on at once, which the PC's will have to overcome one at a time.

one of these things is a demon lord trying to pass as a good deity, to get the general population to follow him without realizing they are doing so. the demon lord in question is Graz'zt and I'm trying to decide what he is posing as deity of.

so the basic question is, if Graz'zt was good and a deity what would he represent? (anything but luck or chance...my groups already seen somthing similar to do with those two-under a different DM of course)

Jinn Master
2010-05-05, 09:08 PM
Make him the deity of truth, just to screw with them.

CrypticOcean
2010-05-05, 09:17 PM
Unless Graz'zt has undergone a huge change since his appearance in 3.5, then I believe trying to look at the aspects of his current portfolio and twisting them slightly to make them represent positive attributes. Of course, making him contradict his current portfolio with types of benevolence that do not even vaguely resemble his normal interests could be interesting as well.

For example, Graz'zt likes to seduce and tempt others. As a "good" God, he could simply pretend what he values is beauty, and those who value beauty. Due to his Chaotic nature (I know the Chaotic alignments do not exist in 4e, except for Chaotic Evil, but, you understand my meaning) he could easily add Freedom to his portfolio. Graz'zt, the God of Beauty, Freedom, Individuality, and Creative Expression.

Or, conversely, Graz'zt, the God of Truth, Justice, Loyalty, and Light.

Optimystik
2010-05-05, 10:23 PM
Graz'zt, the God of Beauty, Freedom, Individuality, and Creative Expression.

Or, conversely, Graz'zt, the God of Truth, Justice, Loyalty, and Light.

He might want to come up with an alias too. Just saying. :smalltongue:

Of course, he could just have his clergy say "no relation!" during sermons.

CrypticOcean
2010-05-05, 10:28 PM
He might want to come up with an alias too. Just saying. :smalltongue:

Of course, he could just have his clergy say "no relation!" during sermons.

Which would be quite amusing!

You could always go with the classic solution of just scrambling the letters.

Tzzarg...Ztzrag...Garzzt...Gtarzz...

...Hrm, that...is not quite as effective.

But, yes, of course he would need an appropriate alias.

Yorrin
2010-05-05, 10:28 PM
How about the god of the sun and positive energy. Oh, wait...:smalltongue:

Swordgleam
2010-05-05, 10:32 PM
If you're trying to steal another religion's followers, a classic tactic is to be a friendlier, more accessible, easier to worship version of a current deity (or a more bloodthirsty one; whatever).

So pick a really popular deity in your setting, then have Grazz't have a similar portfolio, but be worshiped in a way that takes less effort.

CrypticOcean
2010-05-05, 10:40 PM
If you're trying to steal another religion's followers, a classic tactic is to be a friendlier, more accessible, easier to worship version of a current deity (or a more bloodthirsty one; whatever).

So pick a really popular deity in your setting, then have Grazz't have a similar portfolio, but be worshiped in a way that takes less effort.

Or one that is more receptive to individual and/or selfish prayer.

"Sure, Pelor is the God of Healing, but when was the last time -he- healed my son with his own shining rays of light? Graz'zt (no relation!) did! Let's all worship Graz'zt!"

or

"Yeah, Yollanda is great and everything, but when was the last time Yollanda herself answered your prayers for good crops? All I had to do was pray to Graz'zt (no relation) and my crops were more bountiful the next day!"

But, yes, these generally cover your suggestion. Not that I was trying to refute it, of course. Merely expand it. Well, at least, I attempted to. At the very least I provided examples.

MoriHikari
2010-05-05, 11:33 PM
Yeah I thought of an allias. I ended up going with a pretty random code that my players will find hints to throughout the game so they can figure out who it is.

I like alot of the ideas you all are suggesting, makes for some intresting possibilities for when I get to start, any other hints or tips are welcome! :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2010-05-05, 11:43 PM
Graz'zt posing as a good deity? The God of Pleasure and Lust, most definitely.

While that might not sound strictly Good, his fake religion would celebrate love in all forms. People pray to Graz'zt to have good luck in love and strengthen their relationships. Couples who have trouble conceiving give Graz'zt an offering in order to have a child.

And Graz'zt's religion preaches gender equality, arguing that women can fill any role that a man can. Indeed, most of his "priests" could be women.