PDA

View Full Version : About the Grim Reaper

Souhiro
2010-05-06, 01:24 AM
For first time, we see in Elan's lampshade (or wathever is it) the face of the grim reaper, the ender of hope, bringer of sadness, etc...

He was a human skelleton and was retrieving a human girl.

So, I was wondering. Is there ONLY a Grim Reaper? It's natural that a humanoid skelleton retrieves humans, but it will retrieve non humanoid greatures as well? It has to be injuriating to a goblin being slayed by a human, and latter, being retrieved by a human grim reaper.

what do you think? a army of reapers of diferent races, only a reaper with Alter-Self SpellLike Hability, or just one, to add injury to the goblins?

Bavarian itP
2010-05-06, 02:02 AM
You may want to read this:

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/death.html

(probably inspired by Terry Pratchett)

That is all :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2010-05-06, 06:25 AM
In "Reaper Man" (I think--or was it Soul Music?) Death stopped doing his job on Discworld, and all sorts of mini-Deaths came into being to cater for different types of creature. I recall the Death of Mayflies was actually a giant black fish lurking in a lake. The Death of Rats was the only one who decided to go with the whole "skeleton in robe with scythe" approach, though!

NerfTW
2010-05-06, 09:20 AM
Given we don't see a Grim Reaper at any other point, even when major characters have died, I think that should be taken as a fantasy sequence within a fantasy comic. As in, there's no Grim Reaper in the OotsVerse, just like there isn't a walking, talking coffee cup that fires arrows at college interns.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-06, 09:37 AM
Why do all the Northern Gods appear to be human? Why are all the Southern Gods animals while humanoids are the supreme race in those lands that eat said animals?

NerfTW
2010-05-06, 09:43 AM
Why do all the Northern Gods appear to be human? Why are all the Southern Gods animals while humanoids are the supreme race in those lands that eat said animals?

Ooh, good point. Might be why the Elves raised their own gods. And why the Western gods are on the same continent as the lizard people. (There's a lizard god in there, right? I could be wrong.)

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-06, 09:44 AM
...just like there isn't a walking, talking coffee cup that fires arrows at college interns.

I thought that was an ironic cut, to show that there are such coffee cups and that other interns do have problems with their internships as well.

Scarlet Knight
2010-05-06, 09:44 AM

Simple evolution, good Doctor. Life began in the south, first as animals, then migrated to the hostile climes of the north and evolved into humans. I bet within the western gods you'll find a mix & perhaps a missing link...:smallsigh:

Dr.Epic
2010-05-06, 09:47 AM
Simple evolution, good Doctor. Life began in the south, first as animals, then migrated to the hostile climes of the north and evolved into humans. I bet within the western gods you'll find a mix & perhaps a missing link...:smallsigh:

The gods of the east fit in where?

NerfTW
2010-05-06, 10:09 AM
Runaway zoo.

TreesOfDeath
2010-05-06, 01:09 PM
If you can beat the Grim Reaper in a wet t-shirt contest, does that make you immortal?

Watcher
2010-05-06, 03:20 PM
There's also obviously a Lizgreaper. Sarcasm, if you didn't catch it. *sigh*

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-06, 03:28 PM
If you can beat the Grim Reaper in a wet t-shirt contest, does that make you immortal?

Until he gets tired of losing and uses acid instead of water, I suppose.

Scarlet Knight
2010-05-06, 03:38 PM
The gods of the east fit in where?

Ah, yes , good point. Um, they were a branch of the evolutionary tree that was unable to adapt to the, um, God-killling environment, and, thus, ergo, ibid, et al, so on & so forth, chosen for extinction. :smallsigh:

Dr.Epic
2010-05-06, 03:54 PM

It makes you Deadpool.

Mewtarthio
2010-05-06, 03:55 PM

Well, sure... if you can win. He may not have much in the way of "raw talent," but the Grim Reaper's had millenenia to work on his presentation. :smallwink:

T-O-E
2010-05-06, 03:55 PM
In "Reaper Man" (I think--or was it Soul Music?) Death stopped doing his job on Discworld

He also stopped working in Mort...

:smallsigh:

Mewtarthio
2010-05-06, 03:58 PM
He also stopped working in Mort...

In Mort, he attempted to retire and leave his job in the hands of an apprentice. He hasn't attempted to repeat the experiment since, though the Auditors of Reality "fired" him in Reaper Man.

mucat
2010-05-06, 05:55 PM
In Mort, he attempted to retire and leave his job in the hands of an apprentice. He hasn't attempted to repeat the experiment since, though the Auditors of Reality "fired" him in Reaper Man.
Actually, I think he repeated it once of his own free will also. When Susan Sto Helit had to take over for him in Soul Music, hadn't death left on his own (in depression after having to collect Mort and Ysabel) rather than being forced out?

Well, if it works the same way as all those chess/poker games of folklore, the girl will probably wake up alive again (possibly with some disjointed memories of a strange dream) and live out her life as an ordinary mortal. She probably can't keep pulling the same stunt over and over, because the whole point of contests with death/the Devil is that they make great stories (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TIdoy8wFw8&feature=related)...but it's really only a good story once per customer.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-06, 05:56 PM
In "Reaper Man" (I think--or was it Soul Music?) Death stopped doing his job on Discworld, and all sorts of mini-Deaths came into being to cater for different types of creature. I recall the Death of Mayflies was actually a giant black fish lurking in a lake. The Death of Rats was the only one who decided to go with the whole "skeleton in robe with scythe" approach, though!

You forgot the death of trees. A big chopping sound.

Teleporker
2010-05-06, 07:52 PM
Grim Reapers are a cultural thing. In a fantasy setting like the one in this comic (assuming the one in "spring break never dies" was not a one-shot), each culture is likely to have its own Grim Reaper of sorts.

Different races in OotS revere different gods, so it is likely that they have their own interpretation of how death comes knocking.

And by the way, judging by this particular comic's reaper, the look on his face totally says "How did I not think of this before?".

mucat
2010-05-06, 08:50 PM
And by the way, judging by this particular comic's reaper, the look on his face totally says "How did I not think of this before?".

Does it? I read it as "They do not pay me enough for this crap!"

Which is why I assume the girl will win her life back: Death is going to go through the motions because it's his job to, but his heart is not in this contest.

Dvandemon
2010-05-07, 12:16 AM
For first time, we see in Elan's lampshade (or wathever is it) the face of the grim reaper, the ender of hope, bringer of sadness, etc...

He was a human skelleton and was retrieving a human girl.

So, I was wondering. Is there ONLY a Grim Reaper? It's natural that a humanoid skelleton retrieves humans, but it will retrieve non humanoid greatures as well? It has to be injuriating to a goblin being slayed by a human, and latter, being retrieved by a human grim reaper.

what do you think? a army of reapers of diferent races, only a reaper with Alter-Self SpellLike Hability, or just one, to add injury to the goblins?

How do you know its human? Goblins are drawn the same size and we don't see its feet. I'm following everyone elses theories (which are starting to get off-track). Personally I'm disappointed it didn't have blue eyes.

Souhiro
2010-05-10, 05:46 AM
Does it? I read it as "They do not pay me enough for this crap!"

Which is why I assume the girl will win her life back: Death is going to go through the motions because it's his job to, but his heart is not in this contest.

Since in the OotS-verse, there are plenty of healing spells, last-seconf-life-saving spells, resurrection spells, the Flesh-To-Stone spell (you aren't dead, but you aren't live either) and, of course, all that undead thing, we could assume that the Grim Reaper has THE WORST JOB OF ALL.

Beorn080
2010-05-10, 09:44 AM
Really, the guys a skeleton. You'd have to put colored amulets to tell the different reapers apart anyway.

ThePhantasm
2010-05-10, 03:44 PM
Its a one-panel joke.

We didn't see Roy playing games with the Reaper, for example.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-05-10, 03:49 PM
Really, the guys a skeleton. You'd have to put colored amulets to tell the different reapers apart anyway.

Or we show them a cat and see what happens.

Herald Alberich
2010-05-10, 10:16 PM
How do you know its human? Goblins are drawn the same size and we don't see its feet. I'm following everyone elses theories (which are starting to get off-track). Personally I'm disappointed it didn't have blue eyes.

Goblin skeletons have pointy teeth, as seen by that one that got Disintegrated in SOD. No requirement that it's human, though, other than simple tradition.

The honest illusionist
2010-05-10, 11:16 PM
Given we don't see a Grim Reaper at any other point, even when major characters have died, I think that should be taken as a fantasy sequence within a fantasy comic. As in, there's no Grim Reaper in the OotsVerse, just like there isn't a walking, talking coffee cup that fires arrows at college interns.

Clearly, I'm attending the wrong college.