PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Are there any spells you can use on other creatures while ethereal?

Myou
2010-05-06, 03:50 AM
Could you perhaps use summons? Or would they be ethereal too?

panaikhan
2010-05-06, 07:42 AM
Unless I'm getting my ethereal / non-corporeal mixed up, force-effect spells should work. (caveat - I don't have my books to hand)

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 07:44 AM
Unless I'm getting my ethereal / non-corporeal mixed up, force-effect spells should work. (caveat - I don't have my books to hand)

Sorry, that's one-way only (Material -> Ethereal, not the other way around. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#theEtherealPlane))

While it’s possible to hit ethereal enemies with a force spell cast on the Material Plane, the reverse isn’t possible. No magical attacks cross from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane, including force attacks.

Draken
2010-05-06, 08:00 AM
The ethereal plane is a different plane, spells you cast there stay there.

Force effects originating in the material are the exception, they affect both planes.

I am AFB but I think there is a spell in the Manual of the Planes that creates an ethereal storm that has some effect in the material plane, but I could be wrong. With that out of the way, there is always the Transdimensional Spell metamagic.

Myou
2010-05-06, 09:29 AM
The ethereal plane is a different plane, spells you cast there stay there.

Force effects originating in the material are the exception, they affect both planes.

I am AFB but I think there is a spell in the Manual of the Planes that creates an ethereal storm that has some effect in the material plane, but I could be wrong. With that out of the way, there is always the Transdimensional Spell metamagic.

Ether Blast affects only the etheral sadly. XD

Ah, Make Manifest (and Mass Manifest) are very useful though.

Where is transdimensional from though? :O

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 09:42 AM
Where is transdimensional from though? :O

Complete Arcane - zap things in coterminous planes.

Myou
2010-05-06, 10:03 AM
Complete Arcane - zap things in coterminous planes.

Ahhh, thanks.

Given that my group rests in Rope Tricks, I can see us getting a nasty surprise if we ever try it too close to an enemy caster. :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 10:19 AM
Ahhh, thanks.

Given that my group rests in Rope Tricks, I can see us getting a nasty surprise if we ever try it too close to an enemy caster. :smallbiggrin:

Well, he does still have to see it - if you pull the rope up, the aperture becomes invisible.

Myou
2010-05-06, 02:43 PM
Well, he does still have to see it - if you pull the rope up, the aperture becomes invisible.

But detect magic would show it up, as would see invisibility no?

nedz
2010-05-06, 03:07 PM
You could summon some monster which can cross from the Ethereal to the Prime.

Defiant
2010-05-06, 03:09 PM
So is etherealness useful only for not getting hit? (i.e. running away or preparing)

Jack_Simth
2010-05-06, 09:14 PM
So is etherealness useful only for not getting hit? (i.e. running away or preparing)
Also scouting, spying, and lying in ambush.

It's also a GREAT place to put scrying sensors.

Myou
2010-05-07, 02:31 AM
You could summon some monster which can cross from the Ethereal to the Prime.

What can you summon that does that?

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-07, 02:42 AM
Per Complete Arcane: Transdimensional spell only sends things FROM the Material TO other planes, not the other way around.

Rules text doesn't allow any effect to extend from the ethereal plane to the material (Source: SRD, Special Abilities, Etherealness). To bypass that, it needs to explicitly allow it.

So far, the only thing I've found is the Ninja's Ghost Strike ability.

Myou
2010-05-07, 02:53 AM
Per Complete Arcane: Transdimensional spell only sends things FROM the Material TO other planes, not the other way around.

Rules text doesn't allow any effect to extend from the ethereal plane to the material (Source: SRD, Special Abilities, Etherealness). To bypass that, it needs to explicitly allow it.

Make Manifest (and Mass Manifest) from the manual of the planes look like they work to me too. :o

Thurbane
2010-05-07, 03:16 AM
What can you summon that does that?
Xill (kinda)?

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-07, 03:20 AM
Make Manifest (and Mass Manifest) from the manual of the planes look like they work to me too. :o

Both are Reprinted in the SpC, and no, they won't affect material things, if cast on the ethereal. Creates an interesting paradox, though.

EDIT: Zone of Revelation would, if you were ethereal and it's centered on you. Of course, it would work my making you material plane, which would yank the spell over.

Myou
2010-05-07, 05:51 AM
Both are Reprinted in the SpC, and no, they won't affect material things, if cast on the ethereal. Creates an interesting paradox, though.

EDIT: Zone of Revelation would, if you were ethereal and it's centered on you. Of course, it would work my making you material plane, which would yank the spell over.

But a material plane caster can at least bring a creature to the material plane from the ethereal with them?

Optimystik
2010-05-07, 06:03 AM
But detect magic would show it up, as would see invisibility no?

I'm not sure about DM. See Invisibility would let you see the window, but not the party behind it.

Adumbration
2010-05-07, 09:25 AM

There's also a magic item that specifically allows your spells to affect material plane from the ethereal plane for a certain amount of time.

I'm saving it for when I get serious about making a wizard for ToS. :smallwink:

Aharon
2010-05-07, 10:02 AM
@Adumbration
Great. Now I will have to hurry up with my build using that item :smalltongue:

(don't worry, I won't actually do that)

senrath
2010-05-07, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure about DM. See Invisibility would let you see the window, but not the party behind it.

I'm pretty sure if you hit that area with a Transdimensional Fireball, or other similarly untargeted spell, you don't actually have to see the people inside. Of course, you still have to know they're there (or else have a really good reason why you'd just randomly use a transdimensional spell), but that's a bit different.