PDA

View Full Version : 4E-Warlock's Bargain Question

Orsik Vondal
2010-05-06, 08:18 AM
I came across a sketchy situation involving Arcane Admixture, Tieflings fire resistance, and the Warlock's Bargain power.

1. Tieflings have resistance to fire damage.
2. Arcane Admixture (Arcane Power) adds the keyword and damage of a certain type to an arcane power.
3. Warlock's Bargain (PHB) has no damage type or keyword.
4. The text of Warlock's Bargain is-- Hit: You take damage equal to your level, and the target takes 3d10 + Constitution modifier damage plus extra damage equal to one-half your level. With a runner for Infernal Pact warlocks that reduces the damage you take to your level minus your Intelligence modifier.

Now put all four together! Use Arcane Admixture to give Warlock's Bargain the fire keyword and have it deal fire damage. Now ALL damage dealt by the power is fire damage. Unlike other powers and features that deal damage to yourself or allies, Warlock's Bargain does not pre-empt further damage reduction by stating that "this damage [you do to yourself] may not be reduced in any way".

From a purely rules standpoint doesn't this mean that an infernal pact tiefling warlock who has given Warlock's Bargain the fire keyword and damage type with Arcane Admixture can apply his fire resistance to the damage incurred by hitting with the power?

How does this jive with you guys?

Hal
2010-05-06, 08:28 AM
I don't have access to books or the character builder at the moment, so assuming a few things:

1) That Arcane Admixture doesn't require specific keywords on powers
2) That Arcane Admixture doesn't require the power to already deal a certain damage type
3) That Warlock's Bargain counts as an arcane power

Otherwise, it seems fine. This particular combination works only if you take a specific feat and race; I don't see how it would be terribly overpowering. What level is that power, anyhow? It might be very good at lower levels, but eventually your fire resistance wouldn't be able to cope with the damage you incur.

Orsik Vondal
2010-05-06, 08:41 AM
What level is that power, anyhow? It might be very good at lower levels, but eventually your fire resistance wouldn't be able to cope with the damage you incur.

Warlock's Bargain is a 17th level Warlock encounter power. I am actually designing a infernal pact tiefling warlock who does mostly fire attacks. I wanted to make a character that was closely tied to the Nine Hells. At level 17 this power would do 13 damage to my character. And with the Bael-Turath Born feat from Dragon #366 his fire resistance would be 25. With the right two feats you could avoid all damage from this power.

Kurald Galain
2010-05-06, 09:18 AM
It strikes me as a good but not overpowering combo. A decent infernalock would soak the damage anyway using his plethora of THP.

A cheesier variation would be to use one of those "convert-all-your-damage-into-radiant" items, combined with a Deva's radiant resistance, simply because it doesn't cost a feat and radiant damage is very good anyway.