PDA

View Full Version : permanent anti-magic fields ands ghosts

Levithix
2010-05-06, 09:01 AM
By my understanding. If a ghost character goes into a permanent antimagic field (or dead magic area), then he is automatically stuck there indefinitely.
I realize that anti magic field can't be made permanent by RAW, but that doesn't stop my DM to be from thinking that it'd be cool t have entire mountain ranges surrounded by antimagic fields a significant part of his world.
Also, the dilemma would still come up with dead magic planes.

Does anyone know how to either make a ghost no longer undead or, more likely, have a good house rule?

Ryuuk
2010-05-06, 09:03 AM
I can see the ghost not being able to manifest, but why would they be stuck in there? What prevents them from just leaving the area?

Levithix
2010-05-06, 09:23 AM
Incorperial undead wink out in an anti magic field ( I think the idea was for them to wait for the field to go away)
However, winking out could be interpreted as no longer manifesting, witch would be fine.
I think I'll be good with that.

Ranos
2010-05-06, 10:01 AM
When a ghost manifests, he's both on the Ethereal plane in corporeal form and the Material plane in incorporeal form. When he winks out in the material, he still exists in the ethereal.

So yeah, he could just leave.

Lapak
2010-05-06, 10:43 AM
They could just wander away, but the idea that they couldn't gives me an idea for a fairly amusing defensive structure for a dungeon-dweller with natural flight.

- Put your sleeping area at the top of a sheer chimney, too smooth to climb and too wide to span.
- Attract or create a large number of ghosts and annoy them.
- When they converge to attack you, put up the AMF.

If anyone comes a-hunting you, and dispels the AMF so that they can use magic to get up the chimney, they are suddenly surrounded by a dozen angry ghosts that just winked back into existence.

Hmm. There must be some kind of creature and/or magical binding combination that would make that work, if ghosts won't do. :smalltongue:

2xMachina
2010-05-06, 10:48 AM
Problem is, the ghosts are angry at you, and would probably kill you instead.

Lapak
2010-05-06, 12:29 PM
Problem is, the ghosts are angry at you, and would probably kill you instead.Well, sure, if you're still standing there. But the point is to have people free the trapped entities while you're safely away; they're still trying to get up the chimney to get at you when the trap goes off. And as far as the things suspended in the AMF are concerned, you just vanished and were replaced by whoever unlocked them. There's a pretty good chance that they'll think it's still you, just in disguise.

It can't work, for reasons already covered, but I found the idea amusing.

unre9istered
2010-05-06, 01:23 PM
I'm playing a Psion Uncarnate//Rogue who's got this problem. The DM's already mentioned that the city we're in has an Anti-magic dome to keep flyers out. Good thing I came in through the ground.

Jack_Simth
2010-05-06, 04:26 PM
I'm playing a Psion Uncarnate//Rogue who's got this problem. The DM's already mentioned that the city we're in has an Anti-magic dome to keep flyers out. Good thing I came in through the ground.

The winking out in an AMF only applies to incorporeal undead. Unless something else is in the mix, a Psion Uncarnate is not undead, and is fine.

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 08:57 PM
The winking out in an AMF only applies to incorporeal undead. Unless something else is in the mix, a Psion Uncarnate is not undead, and is fine.

Caveat: if he is Uncarnate by way of Shed Body then he's out of luck, as Shed Body is (Su). The capstone, Uncarnate, is (Ex).

unre9istered
2010-05-07, 07:20 AM
I don't know how I missed the fact that only incorporeal undead wink out in an anti-magic field. So my uncarnate can walk (float) around in an anti-magic field all he wants but can't do anything because anything that would allow him to interact in any way is magical. Conversely about the only thing that can hit him is Orb of force from outside the area or that wood that gives bows ghost touch.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-07, 09:19 AM
I don't know how I missed the fact that only incorporeal undead wink out in an anti-magic field. So my uncarnate can walk (float) around in an anti-magic field all he wants but can't do anything because anything that would allow him to interact in any way is magical. Conversely about the only thing that can hit him is Orb of force from outside the area or that wood that gives bows ghost touch.

You could always multiclass cleric and go Initiate of Mystra.

unre9istered
2010-05-07, 09:58 AM
You could always multiclass cleric and go Initiate of Mystra.

With 15 levels of psion/psion uncarnate//rogue/shadowmind it'd take awhile or a lot of retraining to get to that. As it is I'd just sit outside the area and throw things at my enemies with TK.

Sneak attack with random objects in the room FTW!

Optimystik
2010-05-07, 10:02 AM
With 15 levels of psion/psion uncarnate//rogue/shadowmind it'd take awhile or a lot of retraining to get to that. As it is I'd just sit outside the area and throw things at my enemies with TK.

Sneak attack with random objects in the room FTW!

Actually, if you can lure him near the edge, then you can throw Crystal Shards/Swarms etc. into it and lacerate him.