PDA

View Full Version : Shameful ranking on topwebcomics

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2010-05-06, 10:50 AM
The OotS has a shamefully low ranking on this website. As we all know, the Giant gives us one of the best comics on the web, and it is ranked 63.

In large part this is because he does not have a huge "vote here please" button under each comic. I appreciate this; and I am sure we all appreciate the great forum he provides us, without even so much as an annoying banner ad. The least we can do is direct more traffic to his site & get him some more fans.

I think it good for us to show our thanks by going to vote. It rests the first of every month, so we are only 5 days behind. We have a huge community; so catch up should be easy.

http://www.topwebcomics.com/vote/7307/default.aspx

Erloas
2010-05-06, 11:03 AM
He used to do more for those sort of rankings. The bonus little comics on the site were vote incentives from before. I don't know if the ranking really means anything to him, if it did I'm sure he would have some vote buttons somewhere.

I know it means nothing to me what the webcomics I like are rated. Especially since most ratings have more to do with how many bored people are reading that have nothing better to do then click vote links then how good the comic is.

After a point everyone that is going to find a comic from those sites have already tried it. Most of the comics I've found and liked were from relevant links and/or word of mouth. As I think it the case with most people. At this point I think OOTS is big enough that people that read web comics know about it and either like it or don't. And the people that might like it but don't read web comics aren't going to be on those voting sites anyway. For example its not like someone is likely to "discover" Penny Arcade from a vote site.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-06, 11:10 AM
A great community, but for best webcomic, my vote goes to Digger. (http://www.diggercomic.com/?p=3)

Haruki-kun
2010-05-06, 11:14 AM
Dude, 63 out of the thousands of comics on the Internet?

That's not shameful at all. That's amazing.

Cubey
2010-05-06, 11:21 AM
A low rank - and should I care? Really popular/good stuff doesn't need a toplist, it's well known enough that word about it spreads on its own. To give an example, I didn't see Penny Arcade anywhere on that page.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-06, 02:27 PM
63 is not bad. I mean, this is OotS we're talking about. It could be lower. I don't read 63 webcomics, but I can't exactly place OotS as my favorite among them.

So, I voted for my favorite among those until OotS (which is now on 46), which is Crimson Dark.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-06, 02:27 PM
Yeah, not voting.

Don't get me wrong, Rich does a great job and in any contest for best webcomic, he'd either get my vote or be a very good contender for it, but in my mind sites like these are for the lesser known webcomics. They get voted high, they get more readers, get discovered.

In fact, that's probably part of what got OotS its fame.

So nope, sorry.

Also, making the same thread in more than one sub forum? Against the rules, I'm pretty sure.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-06, 02:33 PM
It's now at 47, btw.

EDIT: DERP, I HAS BEN NINJAD.

Milskidasith
2010-05-06, 02:33 PM
Penny Arcade isn't even listed on there, and I didn't see XKCD, CAD, C&H, 8-bit Theater, or any of the other "big" webcomics on there, at least not in the top 15 or so. I recognized a few of the comics... none of which besides Goblins and Girl Genius seemed to be that big anyway.

In short, the site is another one of the pointless "vote for the #1 spot on a site nobody cares about!" things.

raitalin
2010-05-06, 02:50 PM
I get the feeling that a lot of the bigger comics simply stop shilling for these lists after a certain point, either because its tacky, not worth the effort or they want to leave the lists open to up-and-comers. Probably a combination of all 3.

This list is how I discovered Goblins.

UglyPanda
2010-05-06, 03:00 PM
Not voting - don't care.

Lists like these are only useful for sites which get no traffic on their own. If you spend ten minutes on TV Tropes, you'll end up with a dozen references to the comic.

Edit:
And now I see that the OP posted this thread in the OOTS board as well.

*Whistles while waiting for one of the threads to be locked*

SDF
2010-05-06, 03:27 PM
Those voting things are completely pointless and really stupid. If you wanted to compile a ranking of popular webcomics based on number of hits that would at least have some statistical relevance to it. Not that the Giant needs it. He does it because he likes it, and his fans like it. His bottom line is affected by devoted fans liking his work enough to buy merch, not by hit/ad revenue.

Haruki-kun
2010-05-06, 03:55 PM
It was 62 this morning and now 4 hours later it's 41?

Was this site set up today or what? :smallconfused:

Also, no xkcd or CAD... Penny Arcade Ranked at 476, Megatokyo ranked at 300...... Never even heard of the highest ranked. Yeah, I'm not so sure what I think about this site.

T-O-E
2010-05-06, 03:59 PM
SDF: Well, the list brings people who may be willing to pay.
It's not really supposed to be alexa, just a way for (I'm guessing) new comic creators to get more people to see their work.

^ You have to submit your own comic.

Superglucose
2010-05-06, 04:01 PM
Never even heard of the highest ranked. Yeah, I'm not so sure what I think about this site.
Never heard of Goblins?

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-06, 04:28 PM
Besides, if you look at the kind of comics they are showing, well . . .
Let's just say a lot of them to be very sexual in nature.

The Demented One
2010-05-06, 04:57 PM
Yeah, this isn't really an...."accurate" index of webcomic quality.

Cristo Meyers
2010-05-06, 05:53 PM
Better way to determining how popular a given webcomic is:

Is the author making a real living off of the comic?

Bet that eliminates all but, say, a dozen on the list right there.

Areswargod139
2010-05-14, 07:36 PM

So what do we have left then? Let's see... Oots, Ctl Alt Dlt, Penny Arcade, VG Cats (Super Effective). Anymore?

Dr. Bath
2010-05-14, 07:44 PM

What? No.

Loads of comics produce a living for their makers. Hell, even Dresdon Codak does, and Aaron Diaz only makes a comic every couple of months.

A lot of comics make at least enough money to support their makers, although many are supplemented by extra work in the form of freelance or commissions.

On the other hand, exceptionally popular comics might just have no merchandise. Like Gunnerkrigg Court was for a long time.

It isn't all that much of an indication of popularity. And especially not quality.

Cobalt
2010-05-14, 08:18 PM
I see how a higher ranking could attract more people to read and, as well, join the site, but I don't think that the rankings matter much. Not for me, anyway. The audience will grow on its own, with or without a place on the top.

A low rank - and should I care? Really popular/good stuff doesn't need a toplist, it's well known enough that word about it spreads on its own. To give an example, I didn't see Penny Arcade anywhere on that page.

Penny what now? Can't say that I've ever heard of what you're talking about...

Eurus
2010-05-14, 08:26 PM
I find it fairly impressive that it would be ranked 63rd even without any vote buttons, personally...

onthetown
2010-05-14, 08:29 PM
If he's at the point of publishing and making a living on his comic and products, I don't think he needs to worry about an internet list.

Moff Chumley
2010-05-15, 12:10 PM
I feel it's necessary to point out that this list is at least three or four years old, is how I discovered Goblins and Girl Genius, and any survey where the top places have over twenty thousand votes can't be referred to as something "no one cares about"...

T-O-E
2010-05-15, 03:40 PM
So what do we have left then? Let's see... Oots, Ctl Alt Dlt, Penny Arcade, VG Cats (Super Effective). Anymore?

This plus many more. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_self-sufficient_webcomics)
Probably loads of small fetish ones too. They seem to dabble in merchandise and donations a lot.

faerwain
2010-05-17, 07:22 AM
Besides, if you look at the kind of comics they are showing, well . . .
Let's just say a lot of them to be very sexual in nature.

Quote from Gibson Twist of Pictures of You (http://picturesofyou.smackjeeves.com/) who obviously had the same impression: "A while back, I asked you guys to support Pictures of You by voting to push me into the top 20 comics on TWC and that if we made it, I would do the first chapter of Book Three in colour. Well, it didn't happen, but considering the way TWC works, it wasn't going to without some sort of titty drawing luring you there. While I'm alright with a little whoring, I'm not alright walking the street without underwear. What did happen, though, was that we made it into the Top 20 on WebcomicZ (a much better site), so what could I do but honour the promise?"

Cleverdan22
2010-05-17, 01:20 PM
63 is pretty amazing for a comic that doesn't do anything to get readers to vote on that site. I'd bet anything that most of the top comics there at least tell readers about the vote.