PDA

View Full Version : [M&M] I know Kung Fu...

vartan
2010-05-06, 12:40 PM
Under Transform, it lists Mental Transform- and for 3 pts a rank you can change all of a target's mental traits. What if I made that Continuous and Self Only? I can choose to fail my save and rearrange all of the mental traits on my character sheet as long as their point value remains the same.

Does this mean I can change around feats, skills, INT WIS and CHA to do whatever the hell I want? Do you think all skills and feats are "Mental" traits?

Nerd-o-rama
2010-05-06, 12:47 PM
No.

Because no one is going to let you do that.

Indon
2010-05-06, 12:50 PM
No.

Because no one is going to let you do that.

It sounds like a good power for a robotic-type character - the ability to reprogram themselves to meet the needs of the group seems quite flavorful and interesting.

I'd tie it to a high-value Device flaw that represents the source of the information you get - like some sort of supercomputer at your HQ that you use to reprogram yourself.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-05-06, 12:53 PM
The way you'd probably build that would be more along the lines of a Boost linked with a Drain (Self-only), I think, or a very limited kind of Shapechange.

Actually, after my initial knee-jerk reaction, this concept is good, you just wouldn't go about it using Transform. And it would only deal with Mental Stats, probably - Feats and Skills are entirely different kinds of Traits. I'd make whatever you do cost at least an extra pp/rank to shuffle those around.

kamikasei
2010-05-06, 12:57 PM
Morph with the Metamorph power feat should let you do it. Trick is you need a specific list of alternate trait sets defined in advance.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-05-06, 01:49 PM
Well obviously that's the easy way.

vartan
2010-05-06, 03:52 PM
I looked real hard at Shapeshift while thinking through this- and I stole the value of Boost's Self-Only Flaw.

If it were going to be Shapeshift, do you think it would be Limited (Mental) -1 or -3? Based on the way Quickness works it would be something more like -1, but for 7 points a rank I cry a little.

I'm glad you like the idea. Overall the hero would have some Mind Shield, Immunity to Sleep, and some other quirky things to represent a brain not at all like the normal humans.

Do you think all feats and skills are Mental Traits though? Regardless of this build.

JeminiZero
2010-05-06, 07:47 PM
Do you think all feats and skills are Mental Traits though? Regardless of this build.

As mentioned above, M&M has a very specific definition of mental triats: namely the 3 mental ability scores. For a character that can shuffle these around more or less at will, I would peg it as a dynamic array that enhances all 3 mental stats seperately rather than mental transform.

Note that while skills aren't a mental triat, being able to shuffle around your mental scores like that will affect the modifier of skills based of those triats (knowledge, perception, social skills). So you will end up with something more akin to a genius, rather than someone who knows kung fu.

vartan
2010-05-07, 09:20 AM
Where do you see such a restrictive interpretation of mental traits?

Traits are defined as: Any of a character's game-defined qualities inc. abilities, bonuses, skills, feats, and powers.

Ecalsneerg
2010-05-07, 09:22 AM
If it can be done without Transform, do it without Transform is my advice. The power truly is a black hole where good rules go to die. Altering other people, it's maybe appropriate, but yourself... well, DAP your mental stats, or use a Variable Power of some sort.

vartan
2010-05-07, 09:33 AM
So how about Shapeshift (Limited: Skills and Feats -3). That's roughly half of the effectiveness of shapeshift, and it becomes a 5pts for 5 pts investment.
It's like having an alternate form... but more flexible.

Ecalsneerg
2010-05-07, 09:35 AM
Thing is, Shapeshift is limited to physical skills and feats.

And that is in no way, shape or form a -3 flaw. Do you have Ultimate power? A skill-based VP isn't nearly so cheap.

vartan
2010-05-07, 09:37 AM
Good point. No I don't have Ultimate Power.

Well Limited one makes it a 7pt per rank waste of time. I'd meet someone at 6 pts/rank with the logic that the atrocious Adaptation is only 6/rank.

Tengu_temp
2010-05-07, 09:46 AM
You say waste of time, I say potential gamebreaker material. Shapeshift gives you immediate access to a lot of the powers and feats in the book, at the low cost of 3 pp/rank.

The_Snark
2010-05-07, 01:33 PM
Good point. No I don't have Ultimate Power.

Well Limited one makes it a 7pt per rank waste of time. I'd meet someone at 6 pts/rank with the logic that the atrocious Adaptation is only 6/rank.

Unfortunate. What you're describing is exactly what Variable Powers are supposed to do. Shapeshift, Adaptation, and Nemesis are all examples of Variable powers; the rules in Ultimate Power let you make your own. In your case, one limited to mental traits and skills/feats/powers that could be learned.

And yes, they are expensive. Think about it: each rank in Shapeshift is giving you 5 points in just about anything you can rationalize (within the power's very broad limits). The ability to shift them around at will is really good. That kind of power should cost more than 5 points/rank. Likewise with other Variable powers. I know a number of people who ban Variable powers despite the high cost, simply because they can give you whatever power you need to solve a problem.

smuchmuch
2010-05-07, 01:40 PM
sounds like a good power for a robotic-type character - the ability to reprogram themselves to meet the needs of the group seems quite flavorful and interesting.

I have done that with a robotic character indeed. Basicaly 1 point of mental shapeshift witht he falw: Limited to skills and feats.
The IC justification is that the character has access to database of comportements and knowlege and can use them to adapt it's needs. it's pretty usefful, mostly to use for taunts and distracts, as well as detective type seuquence but potentialy verryyy overpowered. (I mean I get 5 variable points for a cost of 6 pp, I'm still amazed the DM let me go away with it.)