PDA

View Full Version : [Any] RPG settings you'd want to live in

2010-05-06, 01:43 PM
Just what it says.

I read a lot of RPG books, I know a lot of settings. There are wartorn settings, monster infested settings, grimdark, post-apocalyptic, real-world but with monsters, all sorts of settings. It's pretty obvious why they're all horrible places to live; because PCs in general like killing things.

http://johntynes.com/revland2000/rl_powerkill.html

Can you think of any RPG settings that are actually nice? Somewhere where you, the person posting on this forum, would actually like to live?

(I'm hoping people won't be using caveats like "well, if you're a member of the slave owning upper caste, then X is a nice place for you")

Gnaeus
2010-05-06, 01:45 PM
Amber. Live forever by the sea in the one true world.

Obi-Juan
2010-05-06, 01:48 PM
Understandably, my Friday Night World, which is FR + Waterworld

Kurald Galain
2010-05-06, 01:48 PM
Sigil for the win!

2010-05-06, 01:59 PM

Haven't read it. Guess I should.

Understandably, my Friday Night World, which is FR + Waterworld

Is that a homebrew setting?

Sigil for the win!

Sigil has it's charms from what I've read, and I admit I haven't read much of it, but doesn't Sigil have tiefling muggers, the possibility of accidentally walking into the negative energy plane, and a tyrant who can and will kill you if you cross her in any way? (Or touch her shadow?)
Fun for a PC, not fun for an ordinary person. Or have I been misinformed?

Obi-Juan
2010-05-06, 02:01 PM
yes it is a homebrew setting, taking from mostly FR and Stormwrack, with dips (Feats and classes) of Eberron

Morty
2010-05-06, 02:03 PM
Planescape, definetly.

kc0bbq
2010-05-06, 02:05 PM
Haven't read it. Guess I should.Good thing I didn't post my somewhat snarky response, it'd be a spoiler. :)

Read the first five books. Read the second five accepting they aren't as good.

It's my choice of RPG setting to be the real world, too.

Choco
2010-05-06, 02:08 PM
Spelljammer, cause everything is better in space!

randomhero00
2010-05-06, 02:11 PM
1st age from Exalted. Not only was it essentially a paradise but it had all sorts of awesomesauce technology. Plus there'd be a small chance I'd become an exalt (since any normal human has a chance.)

That's assuming we're being realistic, and I can't use game knowledge to become a 20th level wizard in 4 months in D&D (sure all the settings in D&D basically suck to live in as a normal person...but as a 20th level wizard...)

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-06, 02:16 PM
Freedom City!

Your odds of dying due to anything that does not exist in the real world are pretty low, and due to the superheroes flying around, your odds of dying due to anything that does exist in the real world are lowered too.

Plus, if you have enough money and / or luck, you get to be a superhero.

Inyssius Tor
2010-05-06, 02:29 PM
Eberron is fraught with peril, but on the other hand it's pretty awesome. I would live there.

And Planescape, just in the hopes that I get to live in one of the Good-aligned planes or at least a nice part of the Neutral-aligned planes or failing that the layer of the Abyss where Malcanthet lives because my existence there would be incredibly brief but even more enjoyable.

2010-05-06, 02:35 PM
1st age from Exalted. Not only was it essentially a paradise but it had all sorts of awesomesauce technology. Plus there'd be a small chance I'd become an exalt (since any normal human has a chance.)

That's a decent one, and it also illustrates the reasons why almost all of the other entries on this page are so violent and horrible (although often cool or interesting at the same time). The First Age of Creation is long dead by the Time of Tumults, the time in which almost every game of Exalted starts. It's allowed to be a nice setting, because it doesn't need to act as a source of entertainment for roving squads of superpowered murderers (player characters, especially the nice ones).

druid91
2010-05-06, 02:43 PM
It's allowed to be a nice setting, because it doesn't need to act as a source of entertainment for roving squads of superpowered murderers (player characters, especially the nice ones).

I prefer the phrase "Murderous, heavily armed, hobos with access to nigh deific power." :smallbiggrin:

Though this is why I would pick someplace like ebberon, where their are schools to teach how to be a murderous, heavily armed, hobo with access to nigh deific power. And people to hire you after you graduate.:smallamused:

Zaakar
2010-05-06, 03:00 PM

I thought about this one too. There are two problems:
First off, if you're unlucky, you will be one of many ended up as a labrat or forged to soulsteel or somthing else not so nice the exalted of that age was doing :smalleek:

Secondly, you are an immortal soul and will eventually have to face the more grim times of the exalted timeline, possibly ending in some kind of hell or just... nothing.

I'm thinking Eberron too. It might not be so nice in life but it's kinda easy to get to the pretty neat afterlife of the good alightments.

druid91
2010-05-06, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking Eberron too. It might not be so nice in life but it's kinda easy to get to the pretty neat afterlife of the good alightments.

I thought there was only one afterlife in ebberon, and it was horrible.

Gnaeus
2010-05-06, 03:06 PM
Haven't read it. Guess I should.

DO NOT read the very-well-written-but-spoiler-containing RPG until you have read the excellent fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. Certainly in the top 10 fantasy series of all time IMO.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-06, 03:08 PM
Secondly, you are an immortal soul and will eventually have to face the more grim times of the exalted timeline, possibly ending in some kind of hell or just... nothing.

Your soul may reincarnate, but your memories are finite. When you die, unless you become a ghost, that's where you end. Your next reincarnation will have nothing that belongs to you.

Psyborg
2010-05-06, 03:10 PM
Eberron is fraught with peril, but on the other hand it's pretty awesome. I would live there.

This. Totally, without a doubt, this.

Preferably as an ordinary, level-1-or-2 magewright in a middle-class section of Sharn or Korranberg.

Totally Guy
2010-05-06, 03:57 PM
It's not released yet but I'd love to live in the Freemarket setting.

It's a society where you don't age, have needs, everything is taken care of for you by the computer. It's the anti-paranoia setting.

If you want a coffee you simply find a member of a group that makes coffee and they'll give it to you. They appreciate the "good feedback" you can leave which enables them to have more resources allocated to their group.

I hear the whole game works on this create-reward cycle.

Your memories can be stolen. That's a big downside. But the thief would need to act pleasantly or secretively as you can leave him bad feedback.

You can be voted out of the society by taking part in antisocial behaviour, the negative feedback you'd get would put you at risk. You can also leave anytime you want. But you can never return.

Deca
2010-05-06, 04:06 PM
I prefer the phrase "Murderous, heavily armed, hobos with access to nigh deific power."

What do you mean nigh deific power? These are Exalted you're talking about, they are above mere gods. There's a whole bunch of gods who are only Essence 2 for crying out loud.
Seriously, if you go through a campaign with beating up a couple of gods and taking their stuff, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Shinizak
2010-05-06, 04:06 PM
mage the ascension all the benefits of the real world with all the fun of a mage

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-06, 04:09 PM
What do you mean nigh deific power? These are Exalted you're talking about, they are above mere gods. There's a whole bunch of gods who are only Essence 2 for crying out loud.
Seriously, if you go through a campaign with beating up a couple of gods and taking their stuff, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I think he's referring to D&D settings, where the PCs are, well, murderous heavily armed hobos with access to nigh deific power.

druid91
2010-05-06, 04:10 PM

Never played exalted, in fact the phrase is a quote referring to Dungeons and dragons adventurers tendencies towards being... well, not all that pleasant.

EDIT: ninja'd

though that is one thing I always found amusing, how many games have you been in where any-one looked you over twice while you were sitting on a cart full of various dangerous substances and weapons, As well as caged monsters if your careful.

2010-05-06, 04:17 PM
I prefer the phrase "Murderous, heavily armed, hobos with access to nigh deific power." :smallbiggrin:

I like the "hobo" in there.
"Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
"Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

So, a good few votes for Eberron, then? I liked Sharn, City of Towers. If it were a travel brochure, (and if you think about it, setting books kinda are travel brochures,) it would be sending some serious mixed messages. The cover says "Come to Sharn! We've got flying Gnolls to murder!", but the first two chapters say "Come to Sharn! We've got magical restaurants and prostitutes!". (The prostitutes are probably also magical.) Then it gets into how to be a backstabbing politician, a player in the criminal underworld or a member of a superhobo club. And then come the feats.

I'm not saying RPGs should be all restaurant and no flying gnolls, but I am saying that RPGs could be a lot better at escapist fantasy if they made a little more effort to make things livable for the players, even if the player characters we make are nothing like us.

Thane of Fife
2010-05-06, 04:17 PM
In all honesty, I think that most of Faerun would be a decent place to live. Safety and freedom in most places, lots of useful spells and herbs - sounds pretty alright to me.

druid91
2010-05-06, 04:19 PM
"Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

:smallbiggrin:
Mind if I sig?

2010-05-06, 04:26 PM
:smallbiggrin:
Mind if I sig?

Do I mind if you compliment something I wrote? Heck no.

Escheton
2010-05-06, 04:27 PM
How about "reality" but without vigilante laws?

Sanguine
2010-05-06, 04:30 PM
I'm going to do something different and say. Exalted in the Time of Tumult sure there's a boatload of thing that could kill me without breaking a sweat but unless your one of the Exalted it's unlikely you'll encounter any of them(except maybe Dragonbloods and minor Gods and Elementals but they tend not to kill random peasants) you don't have to worry about 300 insane God-Kings using you for experiment or Soulsteel. And if you live in the Realm life will be free of Shadowlands, Anathema(save Sidereals), and many other Dangers of the Setting. At least until Civil War breaks out.

cattoy
2010-05-06, 04:30 PM
There are any number of places that would be supercool to exist in...

if you were a player character.

Note that the OP never makes such a distinction. You could be stuck as a minion, a mook or just a piece of meat waiting to be nommed.

With that in mind, I pick the Star Wars universe.

It wouldn't matter if I was anything important, it's just a setting that has a great deal of richness and depth. I always used to watch the movies (the original set anyway) and wonder about what was going on just off camera.

If I was interested in quality of life, then the obvious answer is the Star Trek universe. I'll just hang out in my holodeck...

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 04:42 PM
Me, as I am now?

Well, my skill-set and fairly ruthless personality would work well in most Cyberpunk/Corporate Domination settings. Plus, being generally Genre-Savvy would help me avoid the usual danger situations.

2010-05-06, 05:01 PM
Me, as I am now?

Well, my skill-set and fairly ruthless personality would work well in most Cyberpunk/Corporate Domination settings. Plus, being generally Genre-Savvy would help me avoid the usual danger situations.

Hey, no fair being awesome. The setting has to work for regular schmoes too.

Star Wars and Star Trek are pretty neat. I wonder if part of that because they were written to be movie or TV settings, as opposed to RPG settings. RPG settings seem to feel that there has to be something interesting/violent happening everywhere, or it's a waste of page space describing it.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 05:07 PM
Hey, I'm just a Corporate VP/Accountant who happens to be a musician as well... Three skill-sets that give high-levels of return in your typical Cyber-punk setting. :smalltongue:

Of course, if we're able to go TV settings... Being the cute, young teacher at the all-girls school of Yuri-ness would be nice too. :smallbiggrin:

druid91
2010-05-06, 05:25 PM
If were going off of my actual skill-set I would have to say, star-wars. being a star-wars nerd I could simply make use of all my knowledge to lead the empire to victory.

Drascin
2010-05-06, 05:40 PM
I like the "hobo" in there.

Well, for someone like an adventurer, who works on the edge, keeping his tools in absolute topmost shape is extremely important. A mansion gives you a place to live - a good sword makes sure you keep on living! :smallwink:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-06, 06:33 PM
I think if I had a choice, I'd pick Scion's main setting as a place to live, since I'm a mythology buff and such a place, where the gods are real and just out of sight would be like freakin' paradise for me.

Samb
2010-05-06, 06:43 PM
Well that's a tough one, Warhammer 40000 looks like an easy going place, but people in Ravenloft have it good as well........

Seriously? Eberron and Sigil.

Eberron, or Khorvaire specifically, has magic tech and in general seems pretty comfortable for the average guy. Not sure I'd want to live in Sarlona that's for sure.

Sigil is just a place of wonder. Everywhere you are something awesome is happening. If New York City is the cultural capital of the world, then Sigil is the Cultural capital of the multiverse. There are some dangers like walking through a door and finding yourself in the Abyss...........

ryzouken
2010-05-06, 07:07 PM
Cyberpunk for me.

Walk out, buy a gun from a vending machine, and start shooting your way up the enforcer food chain til you take the notice of a megacorp that'll hire you on and give you the good hardware.

And if you go splat? Just means you don't have to shoot people any more.

One Step Two
2010-05-07, 05:14 AM
I would live in the current Setting of Exalted.
Sure, living in Creation would be a horrible existence, as a mortal I am almost garunteed a horrific death from the multiple threats that besige creation. However, if I was able to keep my current knowledge of the setting, and all it encompasses, the equivalent to a Lore of 6 or higher, due to the fact that I know about the following: How to impress no less than 7 high ranking gods for boons, how to reach Autochthon, or his eye and where they both are, where the Scarlet Empress is and what the Ebon Dragon is planning for her, and finally, the Existence of the Great Curse, which is known to only 2 gods in all of creation.

If that isn't enough to impress Sol, then I'll just have to join the guild.

Tengu_temp
2010-05-07, 05:33 AM
Maid RPG. You live in a cute anime setting surrounded by wacky and/or fanservicey romantic comedy hijinks, and (unless it's a Darker and Edgier alternate setting) you can't even die.

Halaster
2010-05-07, 05:59 AM
Castle Falkenstein. Aside from the collars (and the corsets for the ladies), it's got all you want. Civilized, safe, and polite, yet magical, wondrous and mysterious. The high point of European culture meets just enough fantasy and steampunk to be fun. I'd go there in a minute if Morrolan came knocking....

hewhosaysfish
2010-05-07, 06:11 AM
I'd like to live in the far future as depicted by Sufficiently Advanced. (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/sufficiently-advanced)
Can't decide between Stardweller or Mechanican though... (The logical part of my brain keeps suggesting Replicant, but instinctual part of my brain keeps shouting it down with "NOOOOO! That's suicide!")

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-07, 06:27 AM
Hmm... Too many options, so when in doubt, go to Balmora.

The Elder Scrolls setting, preferably around said town, but I'm rather sure I'd be fine almost anyplace outside of the ruins.

Doc Roc
2010-05-07, 07:57 AM
Eclipse Phase! Presuming I didn't catch plot to the face.

Morty
2010-05-07, 08:03 AM
In all honesty, I think that most of Faerun would be a decent place to live. Safety and freedom in most places, lots of useful spells and herbs - sounds pretty alright to me.

Silverymoon would be a pretty decent place to live for a lowly human commoner - lots of good-aligned high-level people around and being allied with most benevolent nations in the North would ensure safety and comfort.

JeenLeen
2010-05-07, 08:57 AM
I think I can go with World of Darkness.

It's a dangerous and gritty world, and not one I would choose if we were PC status (too easy to die in WoD), but I could see myself becoming an acolyte of one of the mage Traditions. Wouldn't be bad in a small chantry unlikely to be noticed, that is, wiped out by the Technocracy or living on a Horizon Realm.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-07, 09:27 AM
I'd say.....

Mushroom Kingdom. Hey, in that universe Mario solves everything before anything really goes bad.

either that or Pokemon, cause nothing dies there, that and you can command dragons to toast anything you want :smallbiggrin: anyone make you angry? Go Charizard! flamebroil that guy!

Ecalsneerg
2010-05-07, 09:33 AM
Again, more love for Sigil. Even if I start off as a level 1 Commoner, odds are I'll either die or gain some power :smallbiggrin:

druid91
2010-05-07, 09:40 AM
I'd say.....

Mushroom Kingdom. Hey, in that universe Mario solves everything before anything really goes bad.

either that or Pokemon, cause nothing dies there, that and you can command dragons to toast anything you want :smallbiggrin: anyone make you angry? Go Charizard! flamebroil that guy!

Don't you remember the ghost of marrowak in the original lavender town?

eepop
2010-05-07, 12:46 PM
I would definitely need something that is at least the current level of technology. Take that and move as far forward in technology without it becoming post apocalyptic or constant war. So probably Star Trek.

Amphetryon
2010-05-07, 12:57 PM
WHFRP

Or, if it has to be me, as I exist at present,

Star Trek

Indon
2010-05-07, 01:41 PM

Ooh, yeah, Amber's pretty nice even for mortals, and even better after
Random takes the throne and brings some culture to the place.

I'd have to go with Amber.

The First Age of Creation is a lot like modern western society, but late First Age you still have the now-superinsane Solars running around the place making Creation a nightmare.

Many parts of Creation in the First Age were never very fun, either. There was an entire island on the East which was one huge social experiment, for instance. Mortals didn't have much rights because they could reincarnate.

comicshorse
2010-05-07, 06:49 PM
Shadowrun, provided I get to be a Shaman

Another_Poet
2010-05-07, 07:13 PM
Wait wait I think a better question is...

Is there an RPG world I wouldn't want to live in?

Seriously, dragons, zombies, mutants... doesn't anyone besides me think it'd be more fun than snowboarding??

Anyone?

lesser_minion
2010-05-07, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't mind World of Darkness too much - not only is it not that bad, but Geist in particular would be a pretty much ideal combination of 'nice' and 'awesome'.

Aside from that, Elona's setting is pretty awesome if you have the exorcist feat (living without it would be OK - it's far more infuriating for the player than it would be for the character, and NPCs not having it is bad enough either way).

Tengu_temp
2010-05-07, 08:33 PM

Seriously, dragons, zombies, mutants... doesn't anyone besides me think it'd be more fun than snowboarding??

Anyone?

It's fun for a strong adventurer. For an average Joe, it's terrifying and painful death. Besides, the standards of life in most fantasy settings are much worse than what we're used to. There's no internet!

gbprime
2010-05-07, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna second Silverymoon on Faerun. Beautiful city, plenty of travel opportunities, and reasonably secure. Good place to learn magecraft as well, and the spellguard is steady work. :smallamused:

absolmorph
2010-05-07, 08:46 PM
I would live in the current Setting of Exalted.
Sure, living in Creation would be a horrible existence, as a mortal I am almost garunteed a horrific death from the multiple threats that besige creation. However, if I was able to keep my current knowledge of the setting, and all it encompasses, the equivalent to a Lore of 6 or higher, due to the fact that I know about the following: How to impress no less than 7 high ranking gods for boons, how to reach Autochthon, or his eye and where they both are, where the Scarlet Empress is and what the Ebon Dragon is planning for her, and finally, the Existence of the Great Curse, which is known to only 2 gods in all of creation.

If that isn't enough to impress Sol, then I'll just have to join the guild.
Yeah, I think I'll go with Exalted, keeping myself as I am now.
If I become an average citizen of the setting... I'll go with Eberron, I think. I may die horribly, but it'll be awesome anyways.

Emmerask
2010-05-07, 08:51 PM
Star Trek and be a federation citizen :smallwink:

I can recreate any setting on the holodeck :smallbiggrin:

gbprime
2010-05-07, 08:56 PM
Star Trek and be a federation citizen :smallwink:

It's all fun and games until someone catches a weird disease which causes his DNA to go airborne and devolve everyone into monsters, or until your planet gets sucked into a microdimension run by insterspecies-curious omnipotent beings. Or both. :smallsigh:

Set
2010-05-07, 09:09 PM
First choice would be the setting of GURPS Transhuman. Proteanic retroviruses and self-cloning and digital selves ftw.

Second choice would be Star Trek's Federation, on one of those planets that never gets attacked in the movies, like Beta-Zed or whatever planet the hawt sex-maniac Deltans come from.

lesser_minion
2010-05-07, 09:12 PM
Regarding Star Trek:

When you have a civilisation spanning multiple star systems, you really want to make sure that your engineers have some kind of connection to reality.

Star Trek engineers are surprisingly good at being about the last people you would want designing anything.

As for Deltans... well, that would be nowhere even remotely near to being as fun as you think it would.

AslanCross
2010-05-07, 09:17 PM
None. The real world is scary enough.

deuxhero
2010-05-07, 09:19 PM
My homebrew setting I just thought up where I am an epic wizard!

>_>

Ganurath
2010-05-07, 09:23 PM
I'll settle in Great Forks, modern Creation if I need to just be a run of the mill citizen. Probably pursue thaumaturgy, sell some of my spare Temperance to a visiting Fair Folk, that sort of fun stuff.

If I get to retain my current knowledge, however, I'd work like hell to exploit all the knowledge available to me, specifically by feeding it all to House Iselsi. Their exile has given them some solidly pure blood, and if the intel I have isn't enough for them to use and abuse then I don't know what is.

Oh, and I'd also warn Lookshy about the Lover's plan to turn their city into the next Thorns.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-07, 09:26 PM
Don't you remember the ghost of marrowak in the original lavender town?

oh.

.....and there are ghosts in Mario so.....darn.

in that case, I'd happily be an Eberron Wizard.

Cuaqchi
2010-05-07, 09:27 PM

Until it breaks and kills you that is.

druid91
2010-05-07, 10:13 PM
It's fun for a strong adventurer. For an average Joe, it's terrifying and painful death. Besides, the standards of life in most fantasy settings are much worse than what we're used to. There's no internet!

Its fun for me, Go human throwing rocks, besides all I would need to do is find some shape-sand and I would be set, I would be able to kill everyone Gaara style.

Samb
2010-05-07, 10:47 PM
I change my vote to the world of FATAL.

Final vote.

[as long I am a male]

Amiel
2010-05-07, 11:29 PM
I, too, would definitely love to live in Sigil and explore the myriad realities of Planescape; I'll probably use my wiles to make it in the cutthroat planar trade consortiums/markets et al and then buy up any opposition.

Grommen
2010-05-07, 11:36 PM
My first vote is ANYWHERE they have healing spells to cure what ails me.

I'll get over the lack of video games and computers, cause I could spend the rest of my life wandering the world and never run out of wonders to see, and things to experience.

I'm going to have to go with the Forgotten Realms as well though. But at one of the times when their is not a giant war raging through it. I grew up reading about Ten Towns, Waterdeep, the Dales, Cormyer, the Bloodstone Lands. It would be awesome to actually see and hear and smell the world. Plop down a house next to Elminster (before he vanished and they wrecked shadowdale that is)... I could see myself doing that.

Coarse I'm a Martial Artist, so my skills are in demand no matter what world I am on. So again, long as I have a skilled healer on my team, I don't care where I get put. :smallbiggrin:

steelsmiter
2010-05-07, 11:58 PM
Wouldn't want to live in Iron Heroes, Commoners get RAEP'D

krossbow
2010-05-08, 12:29 AM
Wouldn't want to live in Iron Heroes, Commoners get RAEP'D

Commoners in just about all systems get raped; Its their predesignated victim requirement :smalltongue:

After all, if the commoner's aren't useless, then what do they need heroes for?

Off of that though, can i say warhammer 40k cultist of slannesh? :smallbiggrin:

GallóglachMaxim
2010-05-08, 12:35 AM

Anyone?

In a fantasy world, like snowboarding, there are two moves: 'looking cool' and 'DEAD!'.

I'd go for Eberron, could stay an archaeologist, various weird things to be interested in, rampant violent hobos largely occupied elsewhere (or contractable), and all sorts of interesting magical developments.

druid91
2010-05-08, 01:04 AM

Final vote.

[as long I am a male]

Brother Maynard, get us the holy hand grenade!

horngeek
2010-05-08, 01:21 AM
Hmmm... I'm going to go for Exalted. First Age, probably.

And hope to get Exalted. :smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-05-08, 01:25 AM
Off of that though, can i say warhammer 40k cultist of slannesh? :smallbiggrin:

It's not all golden peaches; but, hey, as long as you're "having fun"

steelsmiter
2010-05-08, 05:17 AM
Commoners in just about all systems get raped; Its their predesignated victim requirement

yeah but I mean compared to other systems, Iron Heroes Commoners are worse off than everyone else except in GURPS... where point value and good tactics are the only thing that separates you from the fodder (that and Cannon Fodder, B. 417).

Shademan
2010-05-08, 05:27 AM
My own D&D setting >83

2010-05-08, 12:27 PM
Awful lot of people posting about how they'd be able to kick ass and kill their way to success in whatever setting, or exploit the fact that they've read the setting book. Without the benefit of a DM arranging encounters, I'm pretty sure you, me and everyone we've ever met would last all of five minutes if we tried some of the stuff in this thread.

I was more interested in RPG settings that manage to supply entertainment for player characters, but are still nice places to live for ordinary people. Yeah, Star Trek qualifies (at least when the Federation arrives on time), but it's not an RPG setting first and foremost.

I'm talking about a setting where people who enjoy reading and peaceful afternoons (which I imagine is a pre-requisite for enjoying role-playing games) could enjoy. Because with a very few exceptions, it seems to me that the worlds we enjoy ourselves in via RPGs would be horrible places to live.

So how many RPG settings are there that can satisfy ordinary people and adrenaline-junkie adventurers like most PCs?

Sanguine
2010-05-08, 01:55 PM
Awful lot of people posting about how they'd be able to kick ass and kill their way to success in whatever setting, or exploit the fact that they've read the setting book. Without the benefit of a DM arranging encounters, I'm pretty sure you, me and everyone we've ever met would last all of five minutes if we tried some of the stuff in this thread.

I was more interested in RPG settings that manage to supply entertainment for player characters, but are still nice places to live for ordinary people. Yeah, Star Trek qualifies (at least when the Federation arrives on time), but it's not an RPG setting first and foremost.

I'm talking about a setting where people who enjoy reading and peaceful afternoons (which I imagine is a pre-requisite for enjoying role-playing games) could enjoy. Because with a very few exceptions, it seems to me that the worlds we enjoy ourselves in via RPGs would be horrible places to live.

So how many RPG settings are there that can satisfy ordinary people and adrenaline-junkie adventurers like most PCs?

Exalted's First Age and to a lesser extent Second Age. In the First Age everyone's needs are taken care of there is the internet only better all the threats are eliminated by the Exalted and there's a chance if your stupid enough to seek out danger you will become a crazy powerful super weapon. Sure there's the chance one of the Solars will experiment on you or you will die in one of there war games but well the first is less likely then you dying from disease in our world(which has been nearly eradicated in the First Age) since mortals outnumber exalts several thousands-to-one and well there's war in the real world too. The Second Age while immensely dangerous in theory Mortals still outnumber the threats thousands-to-one so unless you have an important destiny as long as you keep your head low and give proper respect to the local deities life will be pretty decent.

Poil
2010-05-08, 02:45 PM
Anything which allows me to work magic and is full of fantasy stuff. 3.5 FR seems like a lot of fun.

Shadowrun, provided I get to be a Shaman

Why a shaman when a possession based tradition offers so much more? :smallamused:

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-08, 03:00 PM

Final vote.

[as long I am a male]

Unleash the randy gay ogres

Sebastian
2010-05-08, 05:03 PM
I think I'd pick Traveller. I'm not an expert of the setting but for what I know it is interesting, full of opportunities both for adventures and for a quiet life, there is high technology available, medical and not, and is quite short of eldritch abominations bent on the destruction/enslavement of all humaniti and similiar niceties, like borgs, siths, demons etc.

Tengu_temp
2010-05-08, 06:05 PM
Exalted's First Age and to a lesser extent Second Age. In the First Age everyone's needs are taken care of there is the internet only better all the threats are eliminated by the Exalted and there's a chance if your stupid enough to seek out danger you will become a crazy powerful super weapon. Sure there's the chance one of the Solars will experiment on you or you will die in one of there war games but well the first is less likely then you dying from disease in our world(which has been nearly eradicated in the First Age) since mortals outnumber exalts several thousands-to-one and well there's war in the real world too. The Second Age while immensely dangerous in theory Mortals still outnumber the threats thousands-to-one so unless you have an important destiny as long as you keep your head low and give proper respect to the local deities life will be pretty decent.

I disagree. Mortals in the First Age lived in an anti-utopia: you live in safety, relative luxury and all your needs are taken care of, but you have very little real power and freedom and not much potential to get more of them unless you Exalt. And Exalted are free to do whatever they want to you, because you can reincarnate and are therefore expendable - and some of them are crazy *******s. And the numbers of crazy *******s are only growing with time.

Mortals in Second Age live lives similar to those of normal people in a typical cynical fantasy setting, except that, unlike DND and other similar RPGs where anyone can get stupidly powerful over time, there are many creatures much more powerful than your mortal nature can ever handle. If you're lucky enough, your life is okay. If you're unlucky, your life is hell, especially from a modern perspective.

krossbow
2010-05-08, 07:03 PM
I think I'd pick Traveller. I'm not an expert of the setting but for what I know it is interesting, full of opportunities both for adventures and for a quiet life, there is high technology available, medical and not, and is quite short of eldritch abominations bent on the destruction/enslavement of all humaniti and similiar niceties, like borgs, siths, demons etc.

And if you reach old age, your an unstoppable badass.

Terraoblivion
2010-05-08, 11:18 PM
Mortals couldn't reach the very top of whatever they pursued in the first age, Tengu, but in most places they could experience a great deal of freedom to pursue their lives and train their skills. So while no mortal would win the first age equivalent of the Nobel prize, they could still become respected, tenured scientists for example.

And Sanguine, even if the monsters are as rare as you think, they are very capable of causing humans significant harm. Also humans are very capable of it, especially in a setting as poor and riddled by warfare as Creation is. It is not like you can live in peace unless monsters show up.

Tengu_temp
2010-05-09, 07:04 AM
Mortals couldn't reach the very top of whatever they pursued in the first age, Tengu, but in most places they could experience a great deal of freedom to pursue their lives and train their skills. So while no mortal would win the first age equivalent of the Nobel prize, they could still become respected, tenured scientists for example.

Yeah, but you still won't be able to achieve the same as Exalted no matter how hard you try, and the law treats you differently from them. You're a second-rate citizen. Life in the First Age might be good by Second Age standards, or the standards of many other fantasy settings, but it's still worse than life in a modern, developed country.

Riffington
2010-05-09, 08:30 AM
DO NOT read the very-well-written-but-spoiler-containing RPG until you have read the excellent fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. Certainly in the top 10 fantasy series of all time IMO.

This. Oh, so good.

Anyone?

You know you could join a revolution, get a job with a drug cartel, start freeing slaves, or otherwise put your life in danger right now?

Agent_0042
2010-05-09, 08:37 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135127

This guy's setting.

Asheram
2010-05-09, 12:27 PM
I do wonder if anyone've said Spelljammer yet?

Why pick one when you can pick them all!

and a bonus with Space Pirates!

Sanguine
2010-05-09, 12:42 PM

And Sanguine, even if the monsters are as rare as you think, they are very capable of causing humans significant harm. Also humans are very capable of it, especially in a setting as poor and riddled by warfare as Creation is. It is not like you can live in peace unless monsters show up.

Yes they are capable of causing Humans significant harm and yes my numbers were probably way off. But I stand to my point that unless you live somewhere with a large quantity of Supernatural beings(The Realm, Lookshy, Halta, Great Forks, a Wyld Tainted Area, A Shadowland, and possibly others I'm not remembering) the average(non-heroic) person is unlikely to encounter many of them aside from local deities and elementals who as long as you show proper reverence to are unlikely to cause you harm and if you are Heroic well hopefully you will Exalt. And sure there is Warfare but there are lots of places where War is rare if not unheard of and there is War in the real world too and Humanities violent side is a given in any setting really except maybe Witch Girls Adventures(I think that's the name) of course it can show up even there.

Yeah, but you still won't be able to achieve the same as Exalted no matter how hard you try, and the law treats you differently from them. You're a second-rate citizen. Life in the First Age might be good by Second Age standards, or the standards of many other fantasy settings, but it's still worse than life in a modern, developed country.

Now if you are ambitious enough to try and compete with the Exalted of the First Age I'd say that puts you as a prime candidate for Exaltation yourself. And true you are Second-Rate citizen but you can improve your lot in life: If you don't mind your lot and are willing to endure it for Safety that's your choice. If not be a Hero you might not Exalt but you can live your life how you choose(it might get you executed or killed in some other manner but you can do it) and even if you don't Exalt you might receive an Endowment and become a God-Blood.

I will concede this point though. How nice the First Age was really depends on how much the Great Curse has evolved if were talking right before the Usurpation I'd agree with you it's a horrible place to live.

gbprime
2010-05-09, 01:02 PM

Hence the reason I chose Silverymoon in Faerun. It covers both angles; pleasant, idyllic, peaceful, and yet opportunity to venture forth and really stick your foot in it. :smallcool:

Angrist
2010-05-09, 10:29 PM
Shadowrun: but only if I could be a badass mana slinger or street sammy. Not some wageslave, I get enough of that in this world.

2010-05-10, 04:23 PM
Shadowrun: but only if I could be a badass mana slinger or street sammy. Not some wageslave, I get enough of that in this world.

So, not Shadowrun then. :smallwink:

Grommen
2010-05-10, 08:58 PM

Ya but could you really let them do that Cybernetic stuff on your body? Just thinking about things like wired reflexes, and dermal impants. It just makes we quezzy all over.

I would love to be a bad ass Physical Adapt though. Now that is the ticket.

MeatShield#236
2010-05-10, 09:14 PM
I'd go for Faerun. Much nicer than say, Shadowrun, and has the classic fantasy trappings. Plus, there are a lot high-level heroes running cities and such. Silverymoon would be ideal.

kestrel404
2010-05-12, 09:50 AM
In order of preference:

It's unfortunate that Ian Bank's Culture novels don't yet have an associated RPG. I'm sure someone has baked up a homebrew for it, though. So there, if at all possible.

Next best choice would be Star Trek (as already stated by many). Despite the inimical nature of the local physics engine and the fact that the vast majority of sentient life in the universe is out to kill you, it's probably the next best place to live as Joe Average - especially if you've got any real technical skill at all.

After that, either Shadowrun or Cyberpunk. While both are dystopian futures full of corporate crime and murder, honestly neither one seems to be significantly worse than the current day.

After that, any superhero setting (although Aberrant is last on that list, honestly).

Then most other sci-fi settings.

Then d20 modern.

Then most fantasy settings.

Then D&D (yes, D&D is worse than most other fantasy settings).

Then anything ever written by whitewolf.

Almost at the end, anything written by Games Workshop.

At the very end, my pick for absolutely the most horrifying and unbearable world to live in: FATAL.

Please note that this is not an opinion on the quality of the works involve. I happen to like several Whitewolf products, as well as WH40K. I just really wouldn't want to live there. Even if I HAD super powers.

Dizlag
2010-05-12, 10:08 AM
To Agent_0042, who linked a homebrewed post-apocalyptic setting, I submit The Day After Ragnarok (http://atomicovermind.com/blog/?page_id=339) Savage Worlds campaign setting for you. :smallbiggrin:

I would like to give the Necessary Evil (http://www.amazon.com/Necessary-Evil-Explorers-Savage-S2P10011/dp/0979245524) Savage Worlds campaign setting a try. It's where you get to play a supervillain in order to save the world from an alien invasion because all the superheroes are dead. :smallcool:

Now, what super powers would I have? Hmmm ... that could be a whole different thread. :smallwink:

Dizlag

BobVosh
2010-05-12, 10:14 AM
Tippyverse, Exalted Golden Age prior to the great curse setting in

Thats assuming I'm a random mortal. Assuming greatness there are few I would skip.

A huckster in deadlands could be amusing, provided I'm good at it.

Xbuilder
2010-05-12, 07:41 PM
maybe Witch Girls Adventures(I think that's the name) of course it can show up even there

I'm the creator of "Witch Girls Adventures" and as cool a game as it is, I know it can be a very dangerous place if you're a normal person... really dangerous if you're a normal person who knows about the magical world.

That said It beats a lot of other places for average joes and janes.

I would hate staying in a fantasy setting without indor plumbing.
White wolf universe is out...We know how their world ends.

Star Trek would be ok if not for all the other aliens out to get you or the random wacky space mishaps.

Star Wars after the fall of the empire might be good say if you can just get a jib as a park ranger on Endor..Sure there are Ewoks but they make good neighbors.

The World of Robotech is a warzone for three generations...pass

Super Hero worlds can be cool if you have a nice one to stay in. My vote is the Marvel Universe. Just don't live in New York or any place the Hulk might visit....and stay away from those mutants...

druid91
2010-05-12, 08:02 PM
Star Wars after the fall of the empire might be good say if you can just get a jib as a park ranger on Endor..Sure there are Ewoks but they make good neighbors.

First if we all got thrown into Star-wars my first order of business would be to get an audience with the Emperor and quickly inform him of everything I know on the rebels thereby simultaneously crushing the other PCs and solidifying my position as the sole PC in existence, and earning my way into the Imperial Academy of Awesomeness.
(You know how good it looks in the Imperial ivy league if the Emperor himself is vouching for you?) Then I would loyally serve the empire.
Stomping out any signs of rebellion with enthusiasm enough to impress the Emperor into making me into the first shadow-trooper-droid-person-thing.:smallwink:

Second there are other things on Endor than Ewoks.... Why do you think the Ewoks live up so high?

Samb
2010-05-12, 09:37 PM
At the very end, my pick for absolutely the most horrifying and unbearable world to live in: FATAL.

FATAL is pretty enjoyable if you are a male rapist. Or a male gang rapist. Or a racist gang rapist. Or a male sociopath. Or.....

Well you get the picture.

krossbow
2010-05-12, 09:42 PM
FATAL is pretty enjoyable if you are a male rapist.

According to fatal's logic, thats almost all human males in existence :smalltongue:

druid91
2010-05-12, 09:52 PM
According to fatal's logic, thats almost all human males in existence :smalltongue:

Which from what I understand is zero seeing as the only point in playing fatal is to get to the part where you kill everything everywhere, Thus forcing your Sadistic Gm to throw the book away.

Another_Poet
2010-05-14, 10:52 AM
You know you could join a revolution, get a job with a drug cartel, start freeing slaves, or otherwise put your life in danger right now?

Ironically I'm currently saving up my $ to be able to go to do nonprofit work in Latin America. Not that nonprofit work is the same as swords or guns, but the areas I'm going to aren't exactly safe. Adventure is awesome. Live a little, guys! If there was a door to Greyhawk or Dark Sun I'd grab a backpack of camping goods, a hatchet and a sword and dive in. And a lot of metal if it's Dark Sun :)

Ravenloft might be a tougher choice but I bet I'd still go. After stocking up on holy water and getting some nightvision goggles, though :)

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-14, 12:52 PM
Exalted Golden Age prior to the great curse setting in

Yeah, here's the thing. Before the First Age, there was no Great Curse and the Primordials were treating everything like a 2-year old child will treat the ants in the sandbox. During the First Age, there was the Great Curse. There is no time period which you can call "the Golden Age" where there was no Great Curse.

And the Great Curse doesn't take centuries to set in. It is highly expected for a Celestial Exalt to limit break every year at the least. More often if they actually work along the lines of their primary virtue.

Tetsubo 57
2010-05-14, 02:12 PM
If I'm *me*? Federation citizen in the Star Trek universe. Very high standard of living even for the 'poorest' person. I would be far better off than I am now.

But if I were a PC? Star Wars SAGA. Some form of non-Jedi force user.

Another_Poet
2010-05-14, 02:21 PM
If I'm *me*? Federation citizen in the Star Trek universe. Very high standard of living even for the 'poorest' person. I would be far better off than I am now.

Be sure to choose the colour of your shirt here in this world before you move to that universe.

Xbuilder
2010-05-14, 08:32 PM
FATAL is pretty enjoyable if you are a male rapist. Or a male gang rapist. Or a racist gang rapist. Or a male sociopath. Or.....

Well you get the picture.

Ok...What in the name of Stan Lee is FATAL
an if it's as bas as you say where can I find the creator so I can give them a "Hobo Sandwich".

Maryring
2010-05-14, 09:00 PM
TVtropes tells you the troped truth of F.A.T.A.L (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FATAL)

Warning. May cause fatalities.

Anyway. The setting I would live in would probably be one of my homebrew settings. Sure, you do risk getting eaten by gnolls, but you really need to go out of your way to meet anything really dangerous. It's very like living in this world, except less science, more magic.

And the hope that one day, you can get a Planeshift spell, or learn to cast it yourself.