PDA

View Full Version : Converting from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

MalinGenie
2010-05-06, 06:49 PM
We have a short enforced break in the campaign we're running (Red Hand Of Doom) due to a TPK (Round 0: barbarian shows defiance of Tiamat by urinating on a trapped door, taking 47 points of damage, and it went downhill from there...)

Myself and the co-DM both like Pathfinder, and were thinking of using the opportunity to create the new party from scratch under 3.75 (Pathfinder) rules...

At a first glance, the changes seem manageable, just wondering if anyone on these forums has actually converted a campaign, and how easy/difficult it was in practice.

Prodan
2010-05-06, 06:52 PM
Not hard. Would not do it due to the fact that Pathfinder is not better than regular 3.5, just different.

Saph
2010-05-06, 06:55 PM
DMs mostly just have to change skills and add Combat Maneuver bonus and defence for monsters. Players have to go to a bit more trouble, recalculating their skills and adding new class features. Not too difficult - maybe a couple of hours' work.

Check the link in my signature for a run-down of the differences.

Rixx
2010-05-06, 07:11 PM
Pathfinder isn't fundamentally different from 3.5 - the base classes have been expanded quite a bit, and a lot of needlessly complicated stuff has been streamlined. All in all, I like it a lot.

Converting to Pathfinder was really easy for us, but we were only level 3, and core-only. It depends on how much expanded 3.5 material you're using, I suppose!

AslanCross
2010-05-06, 07:54 PM
There's not that much to change. Pathfinder is backwards-compatible for the most part.

Also, urinating on the trapped door: hilarious. Was this at the entrance to the Fane? :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2010-05-06, 08:34 PM
It's an easy switch. Learn how to look at a 3.5 monster's stats and make its CMB/CMD on the spot. Consider raising all search/spot DCs by 2 or so. Learn the skill conversions.

Boom, you're done. Your players will probably thank you later.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-07, 01:36 AM
Also, urinating on the trapped door: hilarious. Was this at the entrance to the Fane? :smallbiggrin:

Urinating on the trapped door is the cause of 50-60% of TPKs. It's unbelivable how many people ignore it.

:smallmad:

MalinGenie
2010-05-07, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

And yes, it was the entrance to the Fane ... after the dragon demanded tribute, the Barbarian responded with "Here's my own personal golden tribute for you ..." .... *KABOOM*

We're going to give it a try - character conversion isn't a problem because we're creating a whole new party post TPK, and sounds like the monster/module conversion won't be a problem.

Amiel
2010-05-07, 11:03 PM
There's also a Paizo approved (I suppose it's official considering it was made by Paizo) conversion handbook for easy conversion; I'll try to dig that up for you.

the doomed one
2010-05-07, 11:15 PM
Here (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6) be the link to the official conversion guide.

Also have fun with pathfnder:smallbiggrin:.

kingpain
2010-05-08, 09:50 AM
It is fairly easy. We have started down the path, and gradually exchanged elements as people became more comfortable with them. It is different than 3.5 due to the streamlining. We really like it. Though it's killing my artificer.