PDA

View Full Version : Could have gone better?

Primehunter74
2010-05-06, 07:44 PM
Today we had a gaming session after school, and things went bad.

First, here's our party (we're all 5th level):

1.Me, a cleric, I try to do my job but haven't been doing so well in our last few encounters.

2. Our favored soul. He started as a thief, fell to his death. Made a knight, lost his character sheet. He then made a paladin, didn't like it and jumped to his death. He now has his favored soul. Not sure why the DM hasn't kicked him out yet. He seems to hate me intensely for no reason.

3. Our wizard, not playing it the way you would think. He loves to run in close, he has hit negetive hit points many times... *sigh*. He's pretty fun to play with though, despite this.

4. A kender rouge. He actually I think he is doing fairly well. He's had a few bad moments, but his +10 to initiative makes up for it.

5. Our artificer. He hasn't really made anything yet, since our campaign has kept us chasing someone non stop. He also does well, and uses his few combat abilities to great effect. Has missed a day or two, and wasn't here today.

Sorry for all that, now to explain what happened:

We entered the bottom floor of a dungeon, and ran into the crypt (the bad guy was upstairs, our DM spills to much to me...) Our kender went to open a chest, and got engulfed by a ochre jelly that slid through some cracks in a coffin. He was knocked unconsious and was at -8. Our wizard thought it would be smart to use shocking grasp. When something is colored yellow, that means electricity! So dont shock it!! It spilt, and the original engulfed our wizard. He was down quickly and dieing. I stabalized the kender, and got hit a few times. Our favored soul jumped up on a coffin. I thought "I'm out of here" and ran for the door. It may sound like I'm abandoning my team mates but the kender had his money in a bank that I could access and I planned to use it to resurect him and the wizard. On the way our one of the oozes AO'd me and I fell to -2. The favored soul healed me to 13. Next turn i somehow swung my mace and the ooze that was on top of me. It hit me , I survived. Our favored soul manage to heal me, and when my turn came I got up and through the door to the room. The ooze made an AO on me but missed. The favored sould threw his javelin at the ooze... and then was surroundsed and engulfed. He proceeded to sucessfull swim out of thw ooze!

This is were we got to. Sorry for the long and way too detailed battle description. My big question is:
Could we have done better opr worse, and how?

Starscream
2010-05-06, 07:54 PM
How were you planning on retrieving the corpses for resurrection? Unless this was a highly advanced Ochre Jelly, I can assume that your party is low level enough to not be able to afford True Resurrection.

You need at least a bit of the bodies, and coming back for them later probably isn't a possibility; ochre jellies will dissolve a corpse completley long before you could mount some sort of rescue mission. Even if their acid leaves the bones (not sure if they count as "flesh"), you still need to find a way to come back for them.

Primehunter74
2010-05-06, 08:06 PM
Now that i remember I was going to range the ochre jellies from the hallway, not the best plan but I figure they'll be distracted by our favored soul. 1 of them is at... about 23 hp, one is at 17, and the favored soul tridented the last one and reduced it to 1 hp (fail) so I figure we can take em out. Forgot about that plan. And yeah, i guess resurection wouldn't be a possiblility because of the cost.

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 08:12 PM
I think that this was mainly a case of bad rolls and a few bad decisions, leading to a more difficult encounter than was(probably) intended by the DM.

Primehunter74
2010-05-06, 08:14 PM
Bad rolls? definitely. I mean, I rolled a 20 when trying to avoid being grappeled by the ooze, but we rolled bad, many times. Our group seems to do that alot. For me it's mainly initiative. I went on initiative 6...

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 08:16 PM
Yep. Once when I was DMing, an easy encounter against some farmer-militia turned into a scrambling retreat after a scythe critical landed the fighter at 1 HP.

It happens to everyone. I just hope that you and your DM can find a way to avoid permanently losing the two who fell.

Pluto
2010-05-06, 08:23 PM
Could we have done better opr worse, and how?
Well, your Wizard didn't identify the monsters. That could have stopped the Piercing/Electric damage problem.

Then his first impulse was to run up and touch (!) the monster for a few d6's of damage (!). Presumably he had something on his spell list to actually weaken the monster without putting himself in melee range.

Then you presumably walked up to the monsters and stabilized the Rogue (you didn't smash the jelly; you didn't bring the rogue back into the action). That put you in danger, spent your action and failed to bring a new ally into the fight.

Then you ran away, alone, leaving the Favored Soul to be double-teamed by the slime monsters. He's now taking two sets of attacks per round. He doesn't really have a chance.

Then, apparently you provoked AoO's from creatures with short reach without making an attempt to hurt or disable them.

Then the Favored Soul partial-healed you (not necessarily a bad move) and you abandoned him (so he was double-teamed again and pretty much doomed to lose).

...So yeah. You probably could have done better.

Primehunter74
2010-05-06, 08:26 PM
Well, we only have about 2 gaming sessions left, we're in an after school club. Our DM is a senior so he wont be there next year. We're near the end of the adventure anyway. The wizard is stable an the rouge I can still stabalize. I play in a way that I try to keep everyone alive (with our group, not that easy) and that's why i'm our cleric. I think we might win this, maybe. If not, they DM may be willing to "rewind" or just make the oozes die suddenly and let us win the encounter. It sounds cheap but the DM is kind and we're almost done, so why not let us finsih it?

Just_Ice
2010-05-06, 08:30 PM
For a hating favoured soul, he sure heals you a lot.

Greenish
2010-05-06, 08:40 PM
For a hating favoured soul, he sure heals you a lot.Cure Lesser Wounds is powered by sheer rage.