PDA

View Full Version : LA values for several races (3.5)

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 08:05 PM
These are both for a campaign in which Fey are both much more powerful and play a key role in the world. The 1/2 Fey and beyond are virtually unplayable for PCs due to heavy LA and natural spellcasting, but those with less Fey blood are within the realm of PCs. Also, in this campaign setting the Fey created the Elves as a sort of police force to guard the entrance to their territory after a few kingdoms tried to attack them.

1/4 Fey
+4 Dex, +2 Int, +4 Cha
+3 Natural Armor
Natural Spellcasting: Cast arcane spells with +2 Caster Level
Spell-Like Abilities: Detect Magic 3/day, Detect Good 1/day, Magic Missile 1/day. Caster Level is equal to HD+2.
Damage Reduction: 2/cold iron
LA+2

1/8 Fey
+2 Cha, -2 Wis
Natural Spellcasting: Cast arcane spells with +1 Caster Level
Spell-Like Abilities: Detect Magic 1/day. Caster Level is equal to HD+1.
LA+0

Elf
+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex
+2 Natural Armor
Low-Light Vision: An Elf's low light vision allows them to see in color, as well as seeing four times as far as humans do in torchlight, moon/starlight, etc.
+2 Racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks
+2 to Fortitude saves against poison
+2 to Will saves against enchantment spells
Weapon Proficiencies: An Elf is automatically proficient with the short sword and rapier.
LA+1

demidracolich
2010-05-06, 08:10 PM
Are the elves meant to have +2 con, or is that just a typo?

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 08:14 PM
Are the elves meant to have +2 con, or is that just a typo?

Yes. These are almost completely different from the normal ones, and I thought that the vanilla breed would be more of a light, tough skirmisher. If they were effectively created to be a wall between the mortal races and the fey, why would they have a penalty to Constitution?

DracoDei
2010-05-06, 08:50 PM
No bows for the elves?
1/8 feys LA means they cast at their ECL, with a +1 to the DC if they are a sorcerer... lack of spells per day and spells know makes this a possibility, but my gut is telling me it is a bad deal. Might depend on how short the "work day" is...

Drolyt
2010-05-06, 08:55 PM
Giving the 1/8 fey +1 LA is ridiculous. Those abilities aren't worth much to any non sorcerer, I'd almost rather have the Human bonus feat even if I was a Sorcerer. Give them a boost or just make them a normal LA +0 race (maybe penalize a score or something).

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 08:58 PM
Giving the 1/8 fey +1 LA is ridiculous. Those abilities aren't worth much to any non sorcerer, I'd almost rather have the Human bonus feat even if I was a Sorcerer. Give them a boost or just make them a normal LA +0 race (maybe penalize a score or something).

I see. I'll find something that fits with the flavor to give them. There. Is that good for +1 LA? Oops. Misread your post. There, that better?

No bows for the elves?
1/8 feys LA means they cast at their ECL, with a +1 to the DC if they are a sorcerer... lack of spells per day and spells know makes this a possibility, but my gut is telling me it is a bad deal. Might depend on how short the "work day" is...

No. As I said, very different from the usual ones.
I'm not sure if I'm misreading your post, or vice versa. The +1 CL is just for CL-dependent spell effects, like damage dice, number of magic missiles, etc. It isn't like an extra level of casting.

Drolyt
2010-05-06, 09:14 PM
I see. I'll find something that fits with the flavor to give them. There. Is that good for +1 LA? Oops. Misread your post. There, that better?

That looks pretty good. The +1 CL is kind of powerful, but not that bad (iirc you can get the same thing with Kobolds, also with no LA).
Edit: Elves are probably +1 LA. Maybe give them +2 Str and they would be worth playing.

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 09:19 PM
Alright, there we go. Do they all look good now?

Milskidasith
2010-05-06, 09:19 PM
That looks pretty good. The +1 CL is kind of powerful, but not that bad (iirc you can get the same thing with Kobolds, also with no LA).
Edit: Elves are probably +1 LA. Maybe give them +2 Str and they would be worth playing.

Kobolds also get a free spell, a free effective sorcerer level (not just a +1 CL, but advancement), the ability to be dragonborn, small size, and charisma boosts due to venerableness from dragonborn.

Kobolds are kind of hardcore.

PersonMan
2010-05-06, 09:21 PM
Kobolds also get a free spell, a free effective sorcerer level (not just a +1 CL, but advancement), the ability to be dragonborn, small size, and charisma boosts due to venerableness from dragonborn.

Kobolds are kind of hardcore.

Depends on which books you have.

I, for one, have yet to buy Races of the Dragon(I think that's what it's called), and therefore do not see Kobolds as 'kind of hardcore'. Just awesome.