PDA

View Full Version : sneak attack

Origomar
2010-05-06, 08:11 PM
only applies to the first attack in a full round attack correct?

senrath
2010-05-06, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it applies to all of the attacks.

Edit: Assuming this is 3.5, of course.

Flickerdart
2010-05-06, 08:15 PM
It applies as long as all the conditions are met. If your target stops being flat footed/flanked between attacks, then it doesn't apply anymore, but that doesn't even make sense.

Origomar
I'm pretty sure it applies to all of the attacks.

thanks, was wondering about that for a while ><

Thrice Dead Cat
It applies to every attack that qualifies. So, if you're flanking, it's each attack in the round. It it's through a feint (and you somehow have multiple attacks) it should just be the first attack after the feint.

EnnPeeCee
2010-05-06, 08:18 PM
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.

Sneak attack triggers on either of those two conditions, for each of his attacks. If either condition is true for all of your attacks, then sneak attack triggers on all of them. If conditions change between attacks, then sneak attack may not trigger (for example, the target no longer being denied their dex bonus).

Now the only exception to this is "volley" attacks (things like many shot) which are multiple attacks that occur simultaneously. On these, sneak attack will only ever trigger on the first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AslanCross
2010-05-06, 08:19 PM
It applies to all as long as the trigger criteria are met.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Unless the flanking ends, every attack in a full attack is a sneak. If the rogue has greater invisibility on, every attack will be a sneak.

Origomar
2010-05-06, 08:30 PM
i have another question(dont want to make another thread about it ><) if you multiclass and the class that you multiclass to has a skill that for your origonal class wasnt crossclass but for the multiclass IS a crossclass skill, do you treat it as a crossclass skill when puting points into it.

EX. was a rogue, am now putting a level into fighter can i still keep a maxed out open lock check as i progress in levels?

Amphetryon
2010-05-06, 08:32 PM
i have another question(dont want to make another thread about it ><) if you multiclass and the class that you multiclass to has a skill that for your origonal class wasnt crossclass but for the multiclass IS a crossclass skill, do you treat it as a crossclass skill when puting points into it.

EX. was a rogue, am now putting a level into fighter can i still keep a maxed out open lock check as i progress in levels?
You can still keep it maxed out, but it costs double points while progressing fighter.

Boci
2010-05-06, 08:33 PM

No, once it is a class skill it stays that. Well the multiclass section of the PH disagrees with me, but I swear I've heard it somewhere before.

You can still keep it maxed out, but it costs double points while progressing fighter.

Nope. Actually yes, you're right.

Greenish
2010-05-06, 08:35 PM

EX. was a rogue, am now putting a level into fighter can i still keep a maxed out open lock check as i progress in levels?Yes, the skill cap on a skill that has been a class skill for you is always the same (level+3). However, on your fighter levels, you'll have to put two skill points into it as it's crossclass skill. Savvy?

Origomar
2010-05-06, 08:50 PM
Yes, the skill cap on a skill that has been a class skill for you is always the same (level+3). However, on your fighter levels, you'll have to put two skill points into it as it's crossclass skill. Savvy?

oh i think i misunderstood it before, thanks.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-06, 08:58 PM
Now the only exception to this is "volley" attacks (things like many shot) which are multiple attacks that occur simultaneously. On these, sneak attack will only ever trigger on the first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Consider yourself corrected.
Benefit: When you use the Manyshot feat, you can fire each arrow at a different target instead of firing all of them at the same target. You make a separate attack roll for each arrow, regardless of whether you fire them at separate targets or the same target. Your precision-based damage applies to each arrow fired, and, if you score a critical hit with more than one of the arrows, each critical hit deals critical damage.

Boci
2010-05-06, 09:01 PM

How does the fact that there is a feat that allows you to do something non-standard prove him wrong? Thats like saying the casting of fireball isn't a standard action and proving it by quoting quickened spell.

Greenish
Consider yourself corrected.Note that that doesn't apply to Manyshot, only to Greater Manyshot:
Manyshot [General]
Special
Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

senrath

That's only Greater Manyshot. Manyshot itself states that you only get precision damage once.

Edit: Wow, Ninja'd twice.

Flickerdart
Greater Manyshot is the exception to the volley exception.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-06, 09:03 PM

Greater Manyshot != Manyshot

Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

So he was actually right about regular Manyshot (and similar volley attacks).

EDIT: Soooo many ninjas! :smalleek::smallfrown:

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-06, 09:06 PM
Yep. For example: Scorching ray only gets precision damage once.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-06, 09:08 PM
So he was actually right about regular Manyshot (and similar volley attacks).
Nope. There's no general rule about sneak attack and volley shots; just a specific limitation for one feat (Manyshot). (There's also a limitation for sneak attack and weaponlike spells; see Complete Arcane page 86.) But if you're making a volley attack that doesn't use either a spell or Manyshot, you can apply sneak attack with every attack roll.

Boci
2010-05-06, 09:11 PM
Nope. There's no general rule about sneak attack and volley shots; just a specific limitation for one feat (Manyshot). (There's also a limitation for sneak attack and weaponlike spells; see Complete Arcane page 86.) But if you're making a volley attack that doesn't use either a spell or Manyshot, you can apply sneak attack with every attack roll.

Theorectically maybe, but can you name an example? I know the master thrower's palm toss ability was errated to not double SA damage.

EnnPeeCee
2010-05-06, 09:14 PM
Rules Compendium pg. 42 addresses precision damage and volley attacks. Anything that makes multiple attacks in a single action less than a full round action only applies precision damage once.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-06, 09:14 PM
By that, it would seem that full attack actions that are not a full round action would get the limits to precision damage as well.

Such as shadowpounce.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-06, 09:21 PM
Theorectically maybe, but can you name an example?
Get a bow with the splitting enhancement (Champions of Ruin, page 42) and the Precise Shot feat. Use UMD to cast Greater Invisibility on yourself. Plunk yourself down within 30' of your targets and make a full attack with your bow. Each arrow will split into two, doubling the attacks each time you fire. You roll separately for every arrow, adding sneak attack damage on every hit.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-06, 09:21 PM

Skip William's "Rules of the Game" discuses this: All About Sneak Attacks (Part Four) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a)

It's probably in Rules Compendium somewhere, don't have access to it at the moment.

Edit: Ninja'd again. I should wait until after researching links/books to hit "Reply" This would happen less :smallsmile:

Rainbownaga
2010-05-07, 05:34 AM
Yep. For example: Scorching ray only gets precision damage once.

This is one that I found weird since each scorching ray gets its own attack roll, whereas the limitation was previously to manyshot which only gets one.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-07, 10:57 AM
This is one that I found weird since each scorching ray gets its own attack roll, whereas the limitation was previously to manyshot which only gets one.
These are all different, individual limitations, since there wasn't a general rule about volley attacks before Rules Compendium. First there was just the limitation of the Manyshot feat. Next Complete Arcane came along and imposed a blanket volley limitation with weaponlike spells; that's where you get the restriction on Scorching Ray. Finally, for reasons I can't fathom, Rules Compendium said you could get full sneak attack on volleys but only if you used a full attack. (The exception for Greater Manyshot, which uses a standard action, obviously overrides this specific rule.)

It's rather a mess.