PDA

View Full Version : Ardent/Elocater Based King of Smack?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-06, 09:23 PM
Ok I am finally giving in and trying to build an Ardent, but since I want to try my luck into a king of smack-esque build.

I am planning on using ardent as a base since I can actually take full elocater levels and still get 9th level powers.

I would probably select Freedom Mantle (a bit modified with the substitue powers ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a)) and maybe if I can maybe doing a beast warrior mantle (claws of the beast, metaphysical claw, animal affinity, claws of the vampire, truevenom, metamorphosis, greater metamorphosis) Based on the natural world mantle.

Would this be actually viable?

Pluto
2010-05-06, 09:47 PM
What level are you starting at?
Can you use flaws or other non-standard feat sources?
(custom items, dark chaos shuffle, custom magic locations, etc.)

Because feats are going to be rough:

You need Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack for Elocator
You need Practiced Manifester to keep up your power advancement
You'll probably want Link Power to manifest and fight simultaneously
You'll need Psicrystal Affinity/Containment or Psionic Meditation, if you want to link more than one power per fight.
You'll probably want Multiattack if you're making many secondary attacks.
You might need Power Attack to punch through DR.

You could drop a couple levels in Psychic Warrior, but with Elocator's dead manifesting levels, that wouldn't be painless.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-06, 09:51 PM
Level ten, and I am not sure about flaws.... might as well ask but yeah, I didn't think on the great feat tax..... hmmm

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 09:55 PM
I am planning on using ardent as a base since I can actually take full elocater levels and still get 9th level powers.

Nitpick - Elocater only loses 3 ML, so Psions and Erudites can also get 9ths with it.

It's something to think about, since they won't have to jump through hoops shuffling the mantles around.

I would probably select Freedom Mantle (a bit modified with the substitue powers ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a)) and maybe if I can maybe doing a beast warrior mantle (claws of the beast, metaphysical claw, animal affinity, claws of the vampire, truevenom, metamorphosis, greater metamorphosis) Based on the natural world mantle.

Of course it will, you're making a mantle substitution ardent - that's already Tier 2. The lost ML might drop it to Tier 3 at the lowest, but I think the class features make up for it.

Though personally, I don't think a 1/day Dimension Spring Attack and +2 damage are worth losing that 3rd ML for. Elocater 7 is a good breakpoint (Capricious Step.)

In fact, if you break at 7, you're now losing only 2 ML, so you can think about going Wilder instead of Ardent and still getting those 9ths. Elocater is great for Wilder because it gives you free powers.

EDIT: And Pluto's right, the feats will be a problem. Though again, if you break Elocater at 7, you'll have room for a couple of levels of Psywar and still get 9ths (as an Ardent.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-06, 09:58 PM
So an educated wilder based elocater is a better option?

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 10:00 PM
So an educated wilder based elocater is a better option?

If your DM lets you do Mantle Substitution, Ardent is undoubtedly stronger. I was just mentioning Wilder as an alternative.

Ask if he lets you do Dominant Ideal too.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-06, 10:01 PM
Ask if he lets you do Dominant Ideal too.You're too cruel.

Poor DM.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-06, 10:02 PM
I will ask about substitute power, but dominant ideal is far too much,,, I already recieve enough cries of munchkin as it is.

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 10:02 PM
You're too cruel.

Poor DM.

What? They're in the same article! Don't look at me like that :smalltongue:

Samb
2010-05-07, 01:05 AM
An ardent with dominant ideal would not even need psicrystal affinity.

When I think of king of smack I think an Elan or Synad with rapid strike and improved rapid strike.

Dominant ideal is better than sub powers IMO. I'd try to get both anyway.

Know what works well with spring attack? ToB maneuvers. You should get that instead.

That's it for random advice.

Samb
2010-05-07, 01:12 AM
and from now on, I will house rule ardent's power acquisition to be default for all manifesting classes.

It's not fair that Ardent's benefit from a typo.

Eldariel
2010-05-07, 01:50 AM
Know what works well with spring attack? ToB maneuvers. You should get that instead.

Actually, it doesn't. You only get one attack, not a standard action so no maneuvers for you. Flyby Attack, on the other hand...