PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Tips for a Huecuva

Thurbane
2010-05-06, 09:35 PM
Hey all,

Any tips for making a Huecuva cleric SBEG a challenge for my party? Probably looking for around CR 8 or 9, which would mean Cleric 6 or 7...problem I have is that the group I DM for is currently running through EtCR, and are fairly optimized at fighting undead.

I'm worried that the party's melee hitters (Dwarf Duskblade, Charging Smite Paladin and a Barbarian) and blaster Sorc will demolish the Huecuva before it gets many (any?) of it's spells off. Improved Turn Resistance is a must have feat, otherwise it is likely to fall to the group's Cloistered Cleric (greater) turning.

I would prefer human as the base race, since it fits in thematically for the adventure. The Huecuva will have some minions/cronies with it (skeletons & zombies, maybe a Vampire Spawn or two) to try and help with action economy, but I fear turning will quickly clear these away too.

Most sources are open, except for my usual caveats: no psionics, no ToB, no MoI, no Dragon magazine (except for the Compendium hardback), nothing campaign specific (except Greyhawk) if possible.

...we also have a "gentlemans agreement" about swift/immediate spells (long story, relates to previous campaign), so I would like to steer clear of these, too.

Another_Poet
2010-05-06, 09:44 PM
I would consider giving the cleric the Chain Spell feat and a single Chained Blindness prepared. That ought to vex the PCs. Technically it is too high level for a Clr7 but as a special opener for the SBEG it could be cool.

My other suggestion was going to be quickened spells, but you don't want that.

I'd consider a handful of minions then. Maybe a pair of non-undead creatures that are good at tying up the PCs somehow with battlefield control stuff.

I'd steer clear of mind control type stuff as it is more annoying than exciting when used on PCs.

If you really want the cleric to fight solo, consider combination of Blur + Mirror Image + Shield of Faith as buff spells cast just before the PCs arrive. That ought to keep that feller up for a while. Hast'd be nice too, or some form of flight.

ap

arguskos
2010-05-06, 10:11 PM
I've got a good buff he needs. Somehow, he needs to get hit with a Greater Dimension Door. At it's lowest caster level (9th), it gives him the power to teleport as a move action up to 45 feet for 4 rounds. While not amazing, this lets him keep moving. If it's in an area with tactical considerations (such as lava pits, negative energy zones, columns of strong wind/elemental effects, etc) that can prevent excessive charging, it lets him keep moving and keep casting. Combine with some defensive effects like Shield of Faith, Haste, Blur, and Entropic Shield to create a very very hard to pin down enemy.

G. Dim Door, btw, is a Sor/Wiz 5. Give him a lower-level Sor/Wiz cohort (vampire perhaps?) who has 2-3 scrolls of it. Ta-da, instant tricky encounter.

Starscream
2010-05-06, 11:03 PM
Had one of these as a BBEG once. He was opening a portal to the negative energy plane, in order to flood the world with negative energy and destroy all living things.

Improved Turn Resistance was a big help. The partially open portal in the room also allowed him to reach an arm through to the Negative Energy plane and heal himself. The players caught on eventually and bull rushed him into it, causing him to explode.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-07, 01:46 AM
Crapload of minions. You can either slow down the meleers, or at leats drive the attention of the blaster.

They will clean them.. find out spells and feats to make them explode at death. LM and Sp C IIRC.

AAAAAnd... pillars. Cover for minions, general slowing down.

I generally add up few traps in the best places (:smallbiggrin:) for the smartass that finds the shortest way.

Thurbane
2010-05-07, 02:50 AM
Just discovered a sweet spell for this guy in PHB II - Bleakness. Causes damage to living creatures, and give Fast Healing 3 and Turn Resistance +4 to all undead in the area. :smallbiggrin:

For his feats, maybe Divine Metamagic (Empower) to boost up his offensive spells (Unholy Blight etc.), so he has something useful to do with his Rebuke uses. Maybe Sudden Maximize to make his Unholy Blight really count.

arguskos
2010-05-07, 11:32 AM
You could use the Devotion feats to burn rebukes and use his swift actions as well. Evil Devotion can aid allies, Death/Destruction Devotions can really wreak havoc on opponents if he starts mixing it up in melee.

Escheton
2010-05-07, 11:41 AM
I love to start of cleric bbeg battles with a deafened caster, blinded charger, and a web/grease/something like that.
buffed up cleric with updraft or levite or something and some roadblocks.

for funzies give him suprise and fudge his rolls so he goes first...

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-07, 04:22 PM
You're gonna have a heckuva huecuva when you're done with this character. (sorry, had to make that joke)
-Xavez

awa
2010-05-07, 08:09 PM
since hes an npc his elc doesn't matter i would just give him some extra levels in say expert that will make him a little bit hardier but not really increase his ability to hurt the party.

Set
2010-05-07, 09:11 PM
With their wisdom scores, Huecuva seem like ideal choices for Spellstitching.