PDA

View Full Version : Wand with Metamagic

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 09:59 PM
I've seen in a module an NPC carrying a Wand of Enlarged Fireballs...

Would it be possible for a Wizard (with the appropriate feats) to create a Wand of Easy (-1 spell level) Quickened (+4 spell level) True Strike? :xykon:

Doc Roc
2010-05-06, 10:05 PM
There are two or three good ways to do this, one of which is the simple and unpleasantly uncomplicated metamagic wandgrip.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-06, 10:06 PM

Would it be possible for a Wizard (with the appropriate feats) to create a Wand of Easy (-1 spell level) Quickened (+4 spell level) True Strike? :xykon:Transcription error? Maybe it was an enlarged wand of fireball, designed for a cloud giant?

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 10:12 PM
There are two or three good ways to do this, one of which is the simple and unpleasantly uncomplicated metamagic wandgrip.

I'm more thinking of items that a wizard boss could craft for his field commanders to use.

Pluto
2010-05-06, 10:14 PM
I've seen in a module an NPC carrying a Wand of Enlarged Fireballs...I'm not sure it's RAW, but it's not unreasonable.

Would it be possible for a Wizard (with the appropriate feats) to create a Wand of Easy (-1 spell level) Quickened (+4 spell level) True Strike? :xykon:Easy wouldn't apply.
But given its cost, I wouldn't object.
(It's like a legitimate Wand of Wraithstrike, but at 4x the price)

QuantumSteve
2010-05-06, 10:18 PM
While you can apply metamagic to a wand, the level cap still applies. That Wand of Enlarged Fireballs is clearly a mistake on the part of the author of the module.

As for Easy Metamagic, I'm not sure if it can be put in wands. It's not actually a metamagic feat. More of a meta-metamagic feat, really :smalltongue:

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure it's RAW, but it's not unreasonable.

Easy wouldn't apply.
But given its cost, I wouldn't object.
(It's like a legitimate Wand of Wraithstrike, but at 4x the price)

Actually, I much prefer the True Strike vs. Wraithstrike... because it obviates Miss Chance.

Doc Roc
2010-05-06, 10:26 PM
While you can apply metamagic to a wand, the level cap still applies. That Wand of Enlarged Fireballs is clearly a mistake on the part of the author of the module.

As for Easy Metamagic, I'm not sure if it can be put in wands. It's not actually a metamagic feat. More of a meta-metamagic feat, really :smalltongue:

This is actually wrong. MMs only raise spell slot, not spell level.

Excluding a few famous offenders.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 10:30 PM

Why would that be a mistake? Enlarge Spell is only +1, and even if you say an Enlarged Fireball is a 4th level spell, you can put spells of up to 4th level in a Wand.

Which is why I initially felt you'ed need "Easy" to make a Quickened Wand of True Strike.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-06, 11:25 PM
This is actually wrong. MMs only raise spell slot, not spell level.

Excluding a few famous offenders.

From the SRD (Emphasis mine)
Magic Items and Metamagic Spells

With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.

Why would that be a mistake? Enlarge Spell is only +1, and even if you say an Enlarged Fireball is a 4th level spell, you can put spells of up to 4th level in a Wand.

Which is why I initially felt you'ed need "Easy" to make a Quickened Wand of True Strike.

My bad. I some how thought Enlarge was +2. That's all good.

Math_Mage
2010-05-06, 11:32 PM
If you want to break the game by metamagicking wands, there's already a way to do that. :smallconfused: If you just want to use metamagicked wands, the SRD is plenty happy to let you.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 11:34 PM
If you want to break the game by metamagicking wands, there's already a way to do that. :smallconfused: If you just want to use metamagicked wands, the SRD is plenty happy to let you.

If you're referring to Metamagic Wandgrip... I'm lazy. What book is that in? :smallbiggrin:

Mastikator
2010-05-06, 11:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Epic Wands are above level 10 by having metamagic applied, i.e maximized meteorswarm or twinned energy drain or what have you.

So yeah. Epic :P

Superglucose
2010-05-06, 11:40 PM

What is possibly gained by Enlarging fireball? It's already long-range, why do you need to fire fireballs at things that are a mile away?

Keld Denar
2010-05-06, 11:45 PM
Why you ask?

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/129087435788477812.jpg

Greenish
2010-05-06, 11:50 PM
What is possibly gained by Enlarging fireball? It's already long-range, why do you need to fire fireballs at things that are a mile away?If, say, an orphanage suddenly and without provocation attacks you from a mile away, why, you'd want to be able to defend yourself!

[Edit]: Somewhat related query: if you have a spell on your list as a higher level spell, can you use it from a wand of lower level?

For example, Holy Sword is a 4th level spell for a paladin, and could thus made a wand, but it's 5th level spell for a cleric with Glory domain. Could the cleric use the wand without UMD?

Teron
2010-05-07, 12:05 AM
From the SRD (Emphasis mine)
Magic Items and Metamagic Spells

With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.
Technically, that doesn't apply to most metamagic feats since they don't change the spell's level.

Of course, RAI is obvious in this case.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-07, 12:05 AM
What is possibly gained by Enlarging fireball? It's already long-range, why do you need to fire fireballs at things that are a mile away?

Tactical Nuke? Really, though, it would help if fireball didn't suck. Lousy overinflated 3E hitpoints ruining fireball.

Edit: Hee-Hee! Flamethrower :evilgrin:

senrath
2010-05-07, 12:06 AM
[Edit]: Somewhat related query: if you have a spell on your list as a higher level spell, can you use it from a wand of lower level?

For example, Holy Sword is a 4th level spell for a paladin, and could thus made a wand, but it's 5th level spell for a cleric with Glory domain. Could the cleric use the wand without UMD?

I'm pretty sure you can. I'm not 100% sure it's RAW, but that's generally how I play it.

tyckspoon
2010-05-07, 12:10 AM

Yes. Wands only check that the spell is on your spell list in some fashion; the level you use it is irrelevant to the wand, which uses its own set DCs, caster level, and anything else where the character's personal statistics might be relevant to the spell.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-07, 12:13 AM
Technically, that doesn't apply to most metamagic feats since they don't change the spell's level.

Of course, RAI is obvious in this case.

It's an oddly written rule at best. And worded differently every time it comes up. Although whenever it says "doesn't change the level" or something to that effect, it immediately follows up with a clause about not affecting saving throws. So that helps RAI out a bit.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 12:28 AM
Enlarge increases the area of the Fireball. The character in question was on board a ship, shooting Enlarged Fireballs into the town to soften up the defenses for the assault troops.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-07, 12:30 AM

One might even call it a Betta meta magic feat :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-05-07, 12:30 AM
No. Enlarge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#enlargeSpell) increases the RANGE of the fireball.

Widen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#widenSpell) increases the area.

senrath
2010-05-07, 12:33 AM
No. Enlarge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#enlargeSpell) increases the RANGE of the fireball.

Widen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#widenSpell) increases the area.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they called it "Enlarge Spell" since it doesn't, y'know, make the spell bigger.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 12:34 AM
Ah... Well, increased range is still useful for attacking a city. :smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2010-05-07, 12:37 AM
Wands of enlarge fireball work wonders in naval fights.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-07, 12:39 AM
The character in question was on board a ship, shooting Enlarged Fireballs into the town to soften up the defenses for the assault troops.

That sounds familiar. Was this from the...
Savage Tide AP?

Edit: Gah! how do I hint the spoiler without spoiling it???

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 12:44 AM
That sounds familiar. Was this from the Savage Tide AP?

Yeah...
the party is just about to fight Vanthus (the Death Knight version). Those Shadow Demons that do Vile damage vs. Touch AC are brutal for CR-12 monsters... but what do you expect for a MoB from BoVD?

Keld Denar
2010-05-07, 12:45 AM
Gashwdetgfhftdsagadfsg Spoilers People!

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 12:49 AM
Gashwdetgfhftdsagadfsg Spoilers People!

Fixed it for ya.

Pluto
2010-05-07, 01:07 AM
Fixed it for ya.

I just triple-checked for changes in the word "Gashwdetgfhftdsagadfsg" before realizing you meant something else.

These memes are out of hand.