PDA

View Full Version : Eberron question

Angrist
2010-05-06, 10:57 PM
My group is campaigning in Sarlona, one of the players has a ranger with Quari as a favored enemy. He thinks that when the Inspired are possessed by the Quari the favored enemy bonuses apply. Another player says that only the Inspired's creature type applies. Who's right?

Optimystik
2010-05-06, 11:06 PM
I would say the Dual Spirit ability means that Inspired should be treated as Quori as long as they are together.

Angrist
2010-05-06, 11:30 PM
Thank you, I know a ranger who is going to be very happy.

AslanCross
2010-05-06, 11:32 PM
If the Ranger has Outsider (quori) as his favored enemy, by RAW, it should not affect Inspired, which do not have the Quori subtype.

It's a reasonable houserule, though.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-06, 11:32 PM
I agree...

Just like when a Ghost possesses someone, Favored Enemy: Undead will still work.

DragonBaneDM
2010-05-07, 12:38 AM
I run a Kalashtar cleric. Tell your ranger to kill them all...

Teron
2010-05-07, 12:43 AM
For the record, quori aren't a legal favoured enemy. There'd be no reason to pick it, anyway, since outsiders (evil) and outsiders (lawful) both cover quori and a lot more.

Yora
2010-05-07, 02:41 AM
By RAW, yes. But I think it's actually more interesting if you have favored enemy "batezu", "obryth", or "quori". When the rule was made that you take "lawful" or "good", it was based on the standard creatures of the monster manual. I'd advice for any gm to change the list to have distinct categories for the settings iconic outsiders.

Teron
2010-05-07, 04:18 AM
It's already a pretty circumstancial ability. I see nothing wrong, mechanically or flavourfully, with favoured enemy: fiends (which is to say, evil outsiders), and I wouldn't be happy about having to pick a subset unless I could count on the DM to make the ability consistently relevant. In a game where you fight a lot of quori (which seems unlikely -- they're not exactly hands-on villains), I could understand making them a category unto themselves, (and maybe collapsing humanoids into fewer categories, because how often does FE: gnomes come up in any game?). But my first reaction is that the ranger is being unfairly weakened, albeit in a fairly minor and probably accidental way.

Asbestos
2010-05-07, 04:39 AM
Yeah, in setting I wouldn't like "Outisder (Evil)" to be applied as two major baddies (3 if you count Rakshashas) both happen to be Evil Outsiders but come from two entirely different realms of reality and operate in entirely different ways. In fact, other than being Evil and being from beyond the Mortal World/Prime Material/World of Eberron they are completely unrelated creatures. In the standard setting where the Good/Evil and Lawful/Chaotic Axes are more important (supposedly) it makes more sense.

Optimystik
2010-05-07, 05:37 AM
If the DM restricts it narrowly enough to where you have to pick (Quori) rather than (Outsiders), then allowing it to hit Inspired is perfectly fair.

And the statblock for the Inspired in ECS is labelled as "Tsucora Quori Spirit/4th-Level Inspired Psion (Telepath) Vessel."