PDA

View Full Version : Effigy Warforged

nekomata2
2010-05-07, 01:27 AM
I know you can't apply the actual template to Warforged, but is there anything that says a Warforged can or can't appear that close to human? I figure, if nothing else, you would need Unarmored Body, but besides that is there anything preventing it?

On a completed unrelated quick question: Is there a way to get a breath weapon, preferably of elemental damage, that scales with your character level, that doesn't involve DFA, something draconic (like half-dragon), or a different template that messes horrifically with your appearance? Assuming like a human base, and I still want to appear human.

Zaq
2010-05-07, 01:31 AM
I know you can't apply the actual template to Warforged, but is there anything that says a Warforged can or can't appear that close to human? I figure, if nothing else, you would need Unarmored Body, but besides that is there anything preventing it?

On a completed unrelated quick question: Is there a way to get a breath weapon, preferably of elemental damage, that scales with your character level, that doesn't involve DFA, something draconic (like half-dragon), or a different template that messes horrifically with your appearance? Assuming like a human base, and I still want to appear human.

Hat of Disguise. Bam, you're a human.

For a breath weapon, two levels in Totemist will give you a breath weapon that you can change if you get bored with it.

panaikhan
2010-05-07, 01:48 AM
RAW, an effigy looks exactly like the base creature without close examination.
You'd need an effigy of a human, and some way to transfer the soul to it.
Effigies also ignore class HD, so it's not a good idea. I did once think about a Warforged effigy master making copies of himself...

You could apply the 'hat of disguise' enchantment to the Warforged's plating - that way he'd keep the AC.

An overly-complicated and non-magical alternative would be an unarmoured Warforged of reasonably small size (within the Medium base category), and have a human effigy 'skin' built as a suit of armour to look like a large (but still medium category) human. The problem with this, is the 'suit' would take damage, and could be destroyed.

I'm not sure if the draconic graft for breath weapon scales, but the only outward appearance is it turns (normal material) teeth black.

nekomata2
2010-05-07, 01:50 AM
The Hat is a magical item, I was wondering about it with no magic involved. Granted, the Hat could improve my ability to hide my construct nature.

I'm guessing that whatever grants you the breath weapon from totemist has damage scaling based on essentia, which would either take more class levels or feats to improve, right?

Edit: I hadn't considered grafts...which book has this one?

panaikhan
2010-05-07, 02:12 AM
It's either in the Draconomicon, or Races of Dragons (I think it's called)
I don't have my books on me.

Faleldir
2010-05-07, 02:16 AM
You could buy a wand of Gentle Repose.

Zaq
2010-05-07, 02:21 AM
The graft is in Races of the Dwagon. It also doesn't scale with level.

A dip in Binder would get you Amon's breath weapon, but it (surprise!) requires more Binder levels if you want it to scale.

I'm not sure what you really want. It sounds like you want the equivalent of a major class feature without actually spending levels on it. Totemist is actually perhaps your best bet, since once you get the totem bind (a mere 2 level dip), ANY source of essentia can boost the breath weapon (feats, spells, races, other class levels, whatever), not just Totemist levels. You could also go Sorcerer and take that feat that lets you burn spell slots to get a breath weapon, but that doesn't sound like what you want.

Of course, any source of energy blast can be fluffed as a breath weapon, really. I've done the reverse already... I play a DFA (warforged, humorously enough) who has no connection to dragons whatsoever, and who would be very confused by any such accusation. Just find some class that can spew energy around (nearly anything magical or psionic can do the trick with varying degrees of effectiveness) and say that it's coming from your mouth.