PDA

View Full Version : Ninjas Vs. Pirates

Atomicwarz
2010-05-07, 09:45 AM
Let the age-old battle of the interwebz begin

absolmorph
2010-05-07, 09:58 AM
Neither. Ninjas weren't action heroes like Hollywood depicts them, they were spies. And assassins, but dead people can't pay you to spy on other people and their family will probably be pissed at you, so they didn't kill much, either.
So, the ninjas would simply avoid the pirates.

Serpentine
2010-05-07, 09:59 AM
Pirates have more fun. Ninjas just get to watch from the shadows...

Totally Guy
2010-05-07, 10:06 AM
At the risk of roaming into politics... I know a guy that was standing for election as a comedy pirate. The had a pirate themed manifesto, pirate themed policies and really good costume.

He got 84 votes. The other candidate got 18,000.

I didn't see any ninja themed candidates. But they probably just didn't want me to see them...

Catch
2010-05-07, 10:06 AM
Oh my God. It's 2002 again.

My time machine worked!

Mando Knight
2010-05-07, 12:05 PM
Oh my God. It's 2002 again.

My time machine worked!

Blast, the backlash must've caught me, too, if we don't have to abide by the vs thread rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70661) anymore...

Atomicwarz
2010-05-07, 05:46 PM
I did not see that rules list. Robot jesus help us all!
... Seriously, I browsed over the main rules list as far as I know, and never saw that.

Teddy
2010-05-07, 06:09 PM
Neither. Ninjas weren't action heroes like Hollywood depicts them, they were spies. And assassins, but dead people can't pay you to spy on other people and their family will probably be pissed at you, so they didn't kill much, either.
So, the ninjas would simply avoid the pirates.

If were getting into the fun-killing territory, I might add that from what historical records of ninjas, that remains that I've read about, they were almost exclusivly spies, and there aren't especially many assassination attemts that were done by ninjas, and of those, as far as I know, there isn't any record of any of them being successful. They didn't dress in black either, but rather in gray.

littlebottom
2010-05-07, 06:15 PM
lets be perfectly honest, the question isnt Ninjas vs. Pirates anymore.

its Ninja pirates vs pirate ninjas?!

SDF
2010-05-07, 06:27 PM
Blast, the backlash must've caught me, too, if we don't have to abide by the vs thread rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70661) anymore...

Rules? Eww eww eww, they're getting their MD vs thread goo all over my shiny FB. It's spreading, and must be culled.

Besides, everyone knows cowboys are the coolest. :smallwink:

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-07, 06:43 PM
At the risk of roaming into politics... I know a guy that was standing for election as a comedy pirate. The had a pirate themed manifesto, pirate themed policies and really good costume.

He got 84 votes. The other candidate got 18,000.

In Sweden we got a whole party of them. They call themselves the pirate party, which is awesome. Look it up yourselves, I won't link to something that political, and I won't discuss it either, just thought it was fun considering the above post and all :smalltongue:

Anyway, while pirates are cool, ninjas have been my favorite since before I could walk or talk. However, I think that the conservation of ninjutsu (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu?from=Main.ConservationOfNin jitsu) will ensure that as soon as one side gets slaughtered they will retaliate until no one is left standing.

Atomicwarz
2010-05-07, 09:33 PM
I gotta say ninjas, for one thing. Ninja women, no matter how they're portrayed, are most always hot/cool. But as far as I know, women pirates were few, if they existed at all. And if you can keep a bunch of guys who sail for months at bay, then you probably are terrifying.

UglyPanda
2010-05-07, 10:32 PM
Ninjas as we know them are purely a construct of pop culture, misinformation, and pulp novels.

Pirates as we know them are a construct of pop culture, journals from seasick sailors, and pulp novels.

I have no idea what my point was...

Atomicwarz
2010-05-07, 10:33 PM
Ninjas as we know them are purely a construct of pop culture, misinformation, and pulp novels.

Pirates as we know them are a construct of pop culture, journals from seasick sailors, and pulp novels.

It's simple. Modern-day people don't know jack. Or ninjas. Or pirates.

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-08, 03:00 AM
It's simple. Modern-day people don't know jack. Or ninjas. Or pirates.

Hey! I know a Jack! Don't you come here and try to take my friendship away from me!

Spiryt
2010-05-08, 03:05 AM

Neither know I, but it was good point. :smallcool:

Teddy
2010-05-08, 03:09 AM
I gotta say ninjas, for one thing. Ninja women, no matter how they're portrayed, are most always hot/cool. But as far as I know, women pirates were few, if they existed at all. And if you can keep a bunch of guys who sail for months at bay, then you probably are terrifying.

Some of the world's crulest pirates were women. Mary Read and Anne Bonny were two women who dressed as men and served under Calico Jack, and, according to legend, they did both stand and fight when the rest of the crew ran and hid themselves. In the beginning of the 19th century, there was also a chinese pirate queen named Ching Shih who controlled 1800 ships and 80000 pirates.

Comet
2010-05-08, 03:13 AM
Ninjas can cut battle tanks in half with their katanas. Pirates have no defense against that.

What's that? You say the pirates can shoot the ninjas? Well, the ninjas can also cut bullets in half with their katanas.

To top it all off, ninjas can also cut pirates in half with their katanas. No contest here, gentlemen.

I secretly hope for pirate victory, but the ninjas have intimidated me into spreading their propaganda. I fear katanas.

Rockphed
2010-05-08, 04:06 AM
The proper response is "Vikings." No, I will not rescind. Vikings would kill the ninjas and then pillage Tortuga, leaving the pirates with nothing but their socks and a leaky rowboat.

Also, how often do you get dragon riding pirates or ninjas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUhygdAZIw)? If you find any, don't bother telling me, cause I will be fantasizing about invading Scotland with an army of dragon riding vikings. :smallcool:

Yarram
2010-05-08, 09:35 AM
In a serious fight between the two... You know, this is sortof beating a dead horse, but I'd say that the legalised armed forces will win. Oh? They did? Seriously? Congratulations ME! I have made an epic discovery! Nothing like superior numbers and funding to beat two archaic entities.
Nothin' like some good old thread spammage...
Yeah. I'm sick of this war. I think they should be friends.

AmberVael
2010-05-08, 09:41 AM
Who wins?
Westley. (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/27245310_f5f2c29d45.jpg)

He's clearly a ninja-pirate hybrid. With extra awesome ladled on. No ninja or pirate tops that.

Symmys
2010-05-08, 09:51 AM
My personal theory is that there is a cosmic balance between pirates and ninjas and that, were either to win, it would cause the end of the world as we know it.

Edit: Of course, Westley beats any ninja or pirate ever.

Moff Chumley
2010-05-08, 12:03 PM
I vote Paralegals. Half lawyer, half paratrooper.

I think.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-08, 12:41 PM
On the basis that my culture is superior to Japan's, pirates are the obvious victors. /jingoism

EndlessWrath
2010-05-08, 01:15 PM
To be fair... Pirates tended to be sailors that got either forced into the service of pirating or decided to join for the riches. To my understanding they were not really trained at fighting, just handed a cutlass and a gun, shown how to use it and left to learn the rest on their own. Ninjas were trained assassins who were adept at not only sneaking and killing, but in times of crisis:
1) tying their sword and sheath together and wielding them in a circle to fight back a large number of guys (even for just a few seconds)
2) adept and the creation and use of smoke bombs and primitive grenades (clay pots filled with gunpowder and metal shrapnel)
3) Trained in any skill they would need on missions like.. cooking, first aid, and acrobatics. Include on top of that they had to make disguises for infiltration.
4) they were adept hunters, trackers, and tacticians.

Then again, pirates have guns, and cannons.
-----------
In a boat race, pirates win. In a boat vs boat warfare or straight fight... pirates would probably have more men then ninjas (ninjas tended to work alone or in small groups). So I'd say in a straight fight, pirates have a chance. If a ninja got onto the ship without everyone knowing or being prepared... 1 ninja would probably own all of the pirates =)

My vote: Ninja
-Wrath

Mando Knight
2010-05-08, 01:35 PM
Edit: Of course, Westley beats any ninja or pirate ever.

Of course. Only the Dread Pirate Roberts is ninja enough to become immune to iocane powder. :smallamused:

Teddy
2010-05-08, 01:59 PM
Ninjas were trained assassins who were adept at not only sneaking and killing, but in times of crisis:

Spies, not assassins.

Castaras
2010-05-08, 03:35 PM

But the few female pirates around were hot and awesome.

Pirates every time.

banthesun
2010-05-09, 06:29 AM

They're called wenches, and they're a lot more common than female ninja's. I prefer ninja's myself, but pirates sure know how to have fun.

Also, may I direct your attention to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130653).

Atomicwarz
2010-05-10, 10:26 PM
Of course. Only the Dread Pirate Roberts is ninja enough to become immune to iocane powder. :smallamused:

And didn't blackbeard or some other pirate get stabbed and shot a crapload of times before he finaly died. Like, shot 15 times and stabbed 20 or some crap. The freaking juggernaut

Coplantor
2010-05-11, 10:10 AM
Russian monks get the most immunities, if any of those get pirate or ninja pwers he would become nigh invincible...

Athaniar
2010-05-11, 03:03 PM
Well, said Russian monk did have an undead cyborg Nazi occultist assassin minion.

Galileo
2010-05-12, 12:02 AM
During my electronics class the other day, my friends and I solved the Ninja-Pirate debate. We realised that ninjas are extremely difficult for pirates to kill, since they can't hear the ninjas over the sound of their own peg legs. And many people think ninja are awesome, so their ranks keep swelling. But due to conversation of ninjutsu, the ninjas can't kill the pirates either. This is why people keep arguing about it.

Yes, conversation of ninjutsu. That's the theory by which the more you talk about badassness, the more of it is used up.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-12, 12:09 AM
This isn't an actual debate. Me and my family made it up because we thought the idea would be funny.

Why yes, I am Dr. McNinja.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-13, 01:51 PM
Well, I've always fallen on the side of Ninjas, it's just my opinion, though most of my friends are Pirates. We occasionally get together an event at some local soccer fields where we dress as either Pirates or Ninjas, then duke it out. And let me tell you, it is awesome.