PDA

View Full Version : A comical batman build... Kinda

Niro
2010-05-07, 11:57 AM
Well after having started to read "anti-HEROES" I read one of the comics.s vampire chick threw a bat at an PC and then said something about batman eating out his heart or something.

But then I began to think... What would a (purely fun based) batman character look like?

My first idea was a human with maybe the vampire template and some levels in rogue.
Any ideas?

(all books, dnd 3.5 bla bla bla)

John Cribati
2010-05-07, 11:58 AM
Ninja, with a Monk Dip.

Kosjsjach
2010-05-07, 12:00 PM
Or Unarmed Swordsage, focusing on Shadow Hand. Perhaps.

Greenish
2010-05-07, 12:01 PM
Artificer//Unarmed Swordsage gestalt.

Telonius
2010-05-07, 12:02 PM
Aristocrat1/Ninja1/BadassX

Niro
2010-05-07, 12:08 PM
An Aristocrat?
May I ask why?

n00b killa
2010-05-07, 12:11 PM
Ninja, with a Monk Dip.

On the D&D Universe, batman would be quite underpowerd

Greenish
2010-05-07, 12:12 PM
On the D&D Universe, batman would be quite underpowerdEpic WBL helps.

Telonius
2010-05-07, 12:25 PM
An Aristocrat?
May I ask why?

Two reasons. One, to model Bruce Wayne's wealthy upbringing. He is an aristocrat, one of Gotham's elite. Two, skills. "Speak Language" is a class skill for the Aristocrat. I believe Batman knows several languages, probably more than would be gained from a high INT score. Diplomacy is also a class skill. He can talk his way around anything. He also gets all Knowledge skills taken individually. Factotum would probably model his "Knowledge(whatever is needed to beat this guy)" check a little better, but having something there to start out couldn't hurt. Especially since you wouldn't get as much bang out of the Ninja skillpoints.

satorian
2010-05-07, 12:42 PM
OP: why a vampire? There are vampires in the DC universe, and Batman isn't one. If you wan to do something with his connection with bats, make him an artificer with a control animals wand.

Really he should be an artificer anyway. Or a 2e Dragonlance tinker gnome... :smallbiggrin:
Think of all his gadgets.

So he is stealthy, can fight veeeery well, makes stuff, is brilliant.

Gestalt Swordsage/Rogue//Artificer?

I think he's too much of an expert in several areas, as opposed to a dilettante, to be a factotum.

Niro
2010-05-07, 12:46 PM
Why a vampire? Well because I am not going for the typical batman. Since vampires are semi bat related I thought that it could be fun ^^

I want to create a build that creates a badass hand-to-hand fighter with awesome hide/move silently abilities.
And of course some random gadgets (and real life bats)

TroubleBrewing
2010-05-07, 12:52 PM
Use the Paragon template out of ELH. So far as I know, it isn't 3.5, and there is no LA listed (but various homebrewers have placed a +12 LA on the template), but it makes everything into a superhero. Combine with factotum for the skilliest skill monkey out there, with ability scores in the low 30's, an AC that hovers around 65-70, more health than you can shake a stick at, and perfection bonuses to everything!

For added fun, make your Batman a Human Paragon Paragon. (A human with the Human Paragon class AND the Paragon template!)

Niro
2010-05-07, 12:57 PM
I know that this question will be stupid.. but what book is ELH?

jindra34
2010-05-07, 12:59 PM
I know that this question will be stupid.. but what book is ELH?

Epic Level HAndbook. ALso on the SRD.

Niro
2010-05-07, 01:04 PM
Thank you ^^

Akal Saris
2010-05-07, 01:10 PM
Hmm... Human Paragon 3/Urban Ranger 17, with Adaptive Learning and insanely high scores in all stats. That's my take on him :P

Draz74
2010-05-07, 01:27 PM
Obviously:

Anthropomorphic Bat Swordsage.

If you can get Gestalt added (Factotum and/or Druid), so much the better.

herrhauptmann
2010-05-07, 04:23 PM
Obviously:

Anthropomorphic Bat Swordsage.

If you can get Gestalt added (Factotum and/or Druid), so much the better.

That's more of the Man-bat, isn't it?
Just likehow spiderman turns into the Man-spider occasionally.

The Demented One
2010-05-07, 05:02 PM
Factotum. Factotum/GOD DAMN BATMAN.

Thajocoth
2010-05-07, 06:03 PM
Batman would be whatever class(es) Gotham needs him to be.

The power of Batman is the power to spontaneously retrain everything as you need it, gear included. He's always prepared for anything, to the point of preparation being a super power. To truly play as Batman, you need to read the DM's notes before each session...

So, if there are going to be sharks, you'll have shark repellent. If the BBEG is in hiding, you'll have city-wide sonar. If your car is going to get totaled, it's going to have a detachable motorcycle built into it... All retroactively, as no human could really plan for things like Batman does.

The only limits to Batman are:
He's human.
Batman does not deal lethal damage.
Batman does not have arcane, divine, psionic, supernatural anything... (With the exception of being super-prepared)

He and Supes are both the epitome of perfection in different ways. To me, this makes them both incredibly difficult to empathize with. I'll more often wind up rooting for their villains...

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/129068914885200491.jpg

Myou
2010-05-07, 06:22 PM
4th level Factotum with a high point-buy.

It makes me sad when everyone assumes that any fictional hero must be level 20.

Beleriphon
2010-05-07, 09:45 PM
4th level Factotum with a high point-buy.

It makes me sad when everyone assumes that any fictional hero must be level 20.

I don't know, when Batman can go toe to toe with some of the JLA villians, like Darkseid I'd have to say he's pushing into the epic levels.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-07, 09:52 PM
OP: why a vampire? There are vampires in the DC universe, and Batman isn't one. .

clearly you've never read "crimson mist" "bloodstorm" or "red rain"

The Glyphstone
2010-05-07, 10:19 PM
clearly you've never read "crimson mist" "bloodstorm" or "red rain"

Are these Batman-vampire fanfictions or Elseworld comics?

Mystic Muse
2010-05-07, 10:35 PM
Are these Batman-vampire fanfictions or Elseworld comics?

Elseworld comics. I tend to avoid fanfiction like the plague. Don't know if elseworld comics actually count as fanfiction though.

Touchy
2010-05-07, 10:39 PM
Obligatory Wizard 20.

Thajocoth
2010-05-07, 11:04 PM
In the DC Heroes Tabletop RPG, there's an item you can buy that you don't decide what it is until you use it. You only decide how expensive it is (effecting it's effectiveness.) Once you use it, it is now what you decided it is that turn until you return to your Bat Cave equivalent. Batman simply bought a bunch of these, basically. That's really most of what Batman's stats in that RPG say... (He has stats.)

Realms of Chaos
2010-05-08, 12:05 AM
Ah, Elseworld comics, where batman is a vampire...
...or the green lantern...
...or superman...
...you know, it might be prudent not to take such comics into account for this. :smallwink:

Realistically, In DnD, I would stat the basic batman (batman at a basic level rather than the special comic events pushing his character to epic degrees) as being a gestalt Factotum 4//Aristocrat 1/Ranged Urban Ranger 3 with a decent point buy.

Edit: Actually, a plain Human Factotum 1/Urban Ranger (ranged specialization) 3 would work just fine. Plenty of skill points, decent with attacks, can track people down in cities, can find traps, and no actual magic.

Give him the researcher and investigator feats from Eberron and point blank shot to shore up his lost BAB. To finish up, give the guy a costume, doubled WBL, and a decent point buy.

Amiel
2010-05-08, 12:16 AM
You want to create a vampire bat? So this'll be (a) Batman who energy drains and sucks the blood of evildoers (to maintain his choice of lifestyle) and leaves innocents alone?
You could also have him robbing from the rich and giving it to the poor; I'll let you to interpret the latter as you will :smallwink:.

I suggest slapping on some commoner and monk levels.