PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Vs. Blackberry Vs. Droid

pendell
2010-05-07, 12:43 PM
Who would win?
:D

Just kidding. More seriously, my 39th birthday is rolling around in just a week and I am considering upgrading to replace my current 2000-vintage cell phone with one of these neat toys. My main concern is: Something I can use forever that I can get support for, something that's "neat".

You see, I have dreams and visions of developing phone applications :D. So I'm not just thinking this for personal use. I'm thinking of doing some writing. In fact, some of my current company's apps might be profitably moved to a phone.

But which of three? What's most useful? Which is easiest to program for? Is one going to be the new VHS, or the latest version of Betamax?

Are there any other things like Blackberry or phone or droid worth considering?

Not interested in the iPad. It may be a neat piece of technology, but I just don't have a need for it. I'll use an actual laptop for anything I can't do with my phone. The iPad is 'too short for a sword, too long for a knife', at least for my needs.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Syka
2010-05-07, 12:57 PM
I am not an Apple fan girl, but I love my iPhone to death. It and the Droid both have good touchscreen interfaces.

I personally prefer the iPhone because it's a little lighter and it doesn't have the slide out keyboard. I've yet to talk to someone with a Droid who uses the slider keyboard, so it's pretty much just one more thing that can break. As I said, though, the interface is nice. I thought about changing providers next year when I go off my dad's plan (the only reason I got the iPhone is he offered it for free lol...I was leaning towards a Propel). The only thing is having to buy another smartphone that is equivalent to the iPhone is prohibitively expensive.

It's pretty much just personal preference, I think. My friend went from Blackberry to the Droid and I don't think he's ever going back, lol.

It also depends on what provider you like. Like, I'm never going back to Sprint. Ever.

Whenever I've needed help with my iPhone (it would lock up completely on occasion last year...not letting me into the phone at all), AT&T and Apple's support was great.

That said, the only issues I've ever had with the phone is the aforementioned locking up and the occasional freeze when in email/Safari. It is then that I remember my phone is basically a teeny computer and needs a break, so I just turn it off for about 10 minutes and when I turn it back on it's fine. The battery on it is about average. I charge it every other day normally, every day if it's been heavily used or I have to be out all the next day. Call quality is good and I've never yet dropped them, so the quality of the phone definitely impacts that (my boyfriend's phone is always dropping/not getting calls).

If you DO go with an iPhone, watch the commercials. I've learned a lot about little tricks to use with it from those commercials, lol.

SMEE
2010-05-07, 01:01 PM
iPhone won't allow him to do some code writing as he wants, though.
I'd go with Droid if you're aiming system development.

Jokasti
2010-05-07, 02:31 PM
Go Droid. I have an iPhone and I love it to pieces, but the Droid is better for a few reasons. Personally, I like that any programmer can submit an app in one language for free as opposed to paying $99 and programming in three. I think the Droids apps will be smoother and more efficient because they're written in Java which was designed to run on these sort of things. Just my 2cp.

Erloas
2010-05-07, 04:27 PM
My main concern is: Something I can use forever that I can get support for,

... Which is easiest to program for?

With this criteria I would rule out the iPhone already. They've already talked about stopping some forms of support for earlier versions, its just something Apple does... Use forever? I'm not positive on the others but I know the iPhone doesn't have replaceable batteries.

As for programming, Apple is trying to make it so you can't develop apps for the iPhone without using their specific programming SDK. Currently you can develop apps with a lot of different programs, but they are trying to change that. Also, as for writing your own apps, I don't think you can even use them on your own iPhone unless its through the SDK because unless you have your phone jailbreak then you aren't allowed to run non-apple approved apps.

I'm not sure about the others, but given the nature of Driod, I would imagine there is a lot more community support for people doing stuff for the OS.

Keld Denar
2010-05-07, 04:27 PM
I was actually just at the verizon store today brousing. The Droid Incredible looks....well...incredible. They are pretty well sold out (the store I was at had them backordered all the way out to the 24th...wow). Its pretty light, nearly 100% touch screen, and apparently the most powerful phone in existance, processor-wise. My current verizon contract is ALMOST up, so hopefully in the next month and a half (when it ends), I'll be able to use my contract renewal credit towards one, as you currently can't do it due to popularity.

Do check it out though, it blows the iPhone and the Google Nexus out of the water...at least for the next month or 2.

EDIT: Also, apparently you can run Linux on the droid, which alone cranks the coolness factor up to 11.

KuReshtin
2010-05-07, 04:48 PM
I've been using the G1 for about a year and a half, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. It runs the Android OS and has the touchscreen as well as a full qwerty keyboard, which I use extensively, both when texting, browsing the web and sending emails.
Android does have a lot of programming capabilities as well if you want to create apps for it.

For visual reference, here's the G1:
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/images/google-g1-phone.jpg

I had some doubts about the slide-up screen to reveal the keyboard, but that hasn't been a problem at all. So I don't think the Droid will have any problems with that either.

I'll be eligible for an upgrade of the phone in about a month and a bit, and if I decide to upgrade, it will be to another Android phone with a full qwerty keyboard.

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-07, 05:47 PM
HTC Desire is the way to go. Bought one last week, and I must say, so far I find it a lot better than the Iphone. I haven't tried the other two, so I can't compare them, but the Desire is really good!

valadil
2010-05-07, 09:06 PM
Do you already have a Mac? Are you willing to acquire one? If not, you won't be developing for the iPhone.