PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Ranger

Dornath
2010-05-07, 04:02 PM
I'm sure this is a completely n00b question, but it's come into dispute a few times during the game I'm playing in.

Does the favored enemy bonus to damage multiply on a crit?

Draz74
2010-05-07, 04:04 PM
Yes, it does.

Generally all bonus damage is multiplied on a crit, unless it's damage in the form of bonus dice (like the Rogue's Sneak Attack, +Xd6 damage).

So, bonus damage from (for example) Power Attack, or a magic weapon, or a Divine Favor spell, is also multiplied on a crit (to name a few common sources).

Dornath
2010-05-07, 04:05 PM
Is there a page reference for that?
My DM likes to pull the "If it's not printed it ain't happening" statement.

Draz74
2010-05-07, 04:07 PM
Is there a page reference for that?
My DM likes to pull the "If it's not printed it ain't happening" statement.

Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.

From the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#multiplyingDamage) The section on "Damage" in the Combat chapter. (I don't have the physical book handy; can't give you a page number.)

Curmudgeon
2010-05-07, 04:10 PM
That's from Player's Handbook on page 134.

Dornath
2010-05-07, 04:13 PM
Thankee both very much!

I now realize I should have killed my party's paladin when I was charmed and attacking her....

Oh the hilarity.

Lateral
2010-05-07, 04:21 PM
Thankee both very much!

I know realize I should have killed my party's paladin when I was charmed and attacking her....

Oh the hilarity.

...you have Favored Enemy (human)?

Dornath
2010-05-07, 04:24 PM
I took Aberration and Human.

Paladin is a Half-Elf.

Ranger/Rogue with 10 WIS.

My will saves are not fantastic.

gibbo88
2010-05-07, 06:52 PM
I thought you had to be evil to take your subtype? Apparently I'm wrong, since the the PHB doesn't have that in the Favoured Enemy section. Still, guess it makes sense to take Human if you're going to be fighting a few of them.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-07, 07:52 PM
I thought you had to be evil to take your subtype? Apparently I'm wrong, since the the PHB doesn't have that in the Favoured Enemy section. Still, guess it makes sense to take Human if you're going to be fighting a few of them.

Half-Elves are Humanoid(Elf) Humans are Humanoid(Human)

Not sure if you have to be evil to take your own subtype in PF. It's not mentioned, I guess that was intentional. It's not mentioned in the FAQ, either.

Eldariel
2010-05-07, 08:03 PM
Half-Elves are Humanoid(Elf) Humans are Humanoid(Human)

Not sure if you have to be evil to take your own subtype in PF. It's not mentioned, I guess that was intentional. It's not mentioned in the FAQ, either.

It used to be a rule in 3.0 that was abolished for sanity in 3.5 (good Elves couldn't have Drow as a Favored Enemy, for example). Even earlier editions had Rangers as a good-only class IIRC, with some more restrictions.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 08:05 PM
While most people consider Half-Elves to be Aberrations... they're not. :smallbiggrin:
They're considered Elves for the purposes of items, feats, classes and class abilities (like Favored Enemy).

Of course, there is a feat that a Half-Elf can take to be "Human Blooded"... but I don't have a clue why that would require a Feat, since you don't even get +1 skill point per level out of it! :smallconfused:

jpreem
2010-05-08, 02:25 AM
Yes, it does.

Generally all bonus damage is multiplied on a crit, unless it's damage in the form of bonus dice (like the Rogue's Sneak Attack, +Xd6 damage).

So, bonus damage from (for example) Power Attack, or a magic weapon, or a Divine Favor spell, is also multiplied on a crit (to name a few common sources).

MMMMM this makes Power Attack even better. The best thing in core for melee then.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-08, 03:02 AM
While most people consider Half-Elves to be Aberrations... they're not. :smallbiggrin:
They're considered Elves for the purposes of items, feats, classes and class abilities (like Favored Enemy).

Of course, there is a feat that a Half-Elf can take to be "Human Blooded"... but I don't have a clue why that would require a Feat, since you don't even get +1 skill point per level out of it! :smallconfused:

Qualify for Able Learner?

WildPyre
2010-05-08, 03:02 AM
It also makes no sense if you want to play a bounty hunter type of character using the ranger. A human bounty hunter would only make sense to have favored enemy: humans.

Jarveiyan
2010-05-08, 07:11 PM
I thought half elves were humanoid(half elf).

Greenish
2010-05-08, 07:29 PM
I thought half elves were humanoid(half elf).No such thing exists.

Pluto
2010-05-08, 07:45 PM
Huh. It's weird that you can't do that without Half-Elf Paragon or Flaws.

Maybe it's for Red Wizards? Other than that, I've got nothing.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-08, 08:14 PM

Isn't that a first level feat?

marjan
2010-05-09, 02:14 AM
Isn't that a first level feat?

Yes, but flaws help there.