PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Golems (3.5)

Seatbelt
2010-05-07, 05:36 PM
I'm running a one-shot campaign on Sunday but I'm doing it differently. There will be one encounter at ECL 5 and another at ECL 10 (literally one encounter) to act as flashbacks or highlights, and then they enter the BBEG's lair to deal with him at ECL 14 and that will be the remaining 5/6 encounters.

At ECL 10 they will be in a ruined elven citadel and I want them to encounter two golem guardians and a Baelnorn/Deathless elf sentinel of some sort. I was going to use Iron Golems but I'm afraid two CR 13 magic immune golems and a CR 13ish zombie wizard might be overpowering. I could use some lower level golems from the MM but I was hoping the Playground might be able to suggest some more interesting golem-like guardians of ancient secrets that aren't as powerful. Maybe I could throw 4 or 6 of them and the Zombie Elf at the party..?

All I know about the party is that there should be 6 people, and one of them is a druid/That Class that specializes in Searing Light, and the other is some sort of generic cleric. So thats no help in party ballance.

AslanCross
2010-05-07, 06:27 PM
See the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. It's an intelligent Ninja Golem. CR 7. The cool thing about them is that they seem like the kind of golem elves would make. Make sure you apply the 3.5 update, though.

arguskos
2010-05-07, 06:31 PM
See the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. It's an intelligent Ninja Golem. CR 7. The cool thing about them is that they seem like the kind of golem elves would make. Make sure you apply the 3.5 update, though.
Yeah, if you don't, their insane crit ranges start stacking up and killing folk pretty scarily fast. :smallyuk:

Another good few golems:
-Force and Magmacore from Monster Manual Five. Both are only CR 4, but if you advance them up to 10 HD each, they get very scary very fast. Even better if they have stuff to push opponents onto (they're both big on the environmental effects).
-Alchemical Golem from Monster Manual Three. It's CR 11, but it's a fairly weak CR 11. Attacks with lots of acidic stuff. Fun times.
-Web Golem, same book as Alchemical. Throws webs, is immune to webs, steals weapons, hits people, etc.

Seatbelt
2010-05-07, 07:01 PM
It threatens a crit on 12-20? Are you serious? Lets just pretend that says 18-20...

Otherwise thats perfect. I have my encounter set up. Thanks a lot guys. :)

balistafreak
2010-05-07, 07:30 PM
Less, seriously, Calzone Golem. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Cooking.pdf) :smallcool:

No, it's not practical at all.

Ryuuk
2010-05-07, 07:43 PM
It threatens a crit on 12-20? Are you serious? Lets just pretend that says 18-20...

Otherwise thats perfect. I have my encounter set up. Thanks a lot guys. :)

The 3.5 update fixes it to 15-20, the equivalent of keen rapiers. I'm actually playing one right now and really liking it.

Darrin
2010-05-07, 09:55 PM
I could use some lower level golems from the MM but I was hoping the Playground might be able to suggest some more interesting golem-like guardians of ancient secrets that aren't as powerful. Maybe I could throw 4 or 6 of them and the Zombie Elf at the party..?

I'll second Force and Magmacore golems. They're both CR 4, and they both have some interesting battlefield control abilities. I'd start with those.

Fang Golem (MM4) is CR 6... not too tough but it has a couple nasty surprises (namely, a ranged attack and the Death Throes explosion when it dies). Really, really nasty when paired up with a druid.

You might want to consider Caryatid Columns (Fiend Folio), also CR 6, but the Break Weapon (Su) ability kinda gets into "Disjunction" territory as far as unfairness, unless the group doesn't have any powerful magic weapons yet.

Roc Ness
2010-05-07, 10:07 PM

It's not 3.5? Do you know where the update is then? And are there similar updates for the other creatures as well? :smallconfused:

arguskos
2010-05-07, 10:10 PM
It's not 3.5? Do you know where the update is then? And are there similar updates for the other creatures as well? :smallconfused:
MM2 is technically 3.0ish. There's an official update to the book on the WotC site, or at least, there was. I don't know if it's still there.

Darrin
2010-05-08, 06:22 AM
MM2 is technically 3.0ish. There's an official update to the book on the WotC site, or at least, there was. I don't know if it's still there.

Here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a)

Nimblewright update:

Nimblewright: Construct; 5 ft./5 ft.; Balance +9, Jump +19, Tumble
+22; Combat ExpertiseB, Combat ReflexesB, Dodge, Improved Disarm,
Mobility, Spring Attack; LA +6; Gains 20 bonus hit points (change to
Construct type); HD become 10d10+20 (75 hp). Change rapier-hand
damage to 2d6+4/15–20, and adjust Augmented Criticals entry accordingly.
Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Construct, geas/quest,
haste, limited wish, and polymorph any object; Market Price: 22,000 gp;
Cost to Create: 18,500 gp (including 7,500 for the body) + 580 XP.

The update booklet updates monster stats for Deities & Demigods, ELH, Fiend Folio, MotP, and MM2. Most of it's eyeballable or handwaveable... space/reach and DR/? were the biggest changes, but most 3.0 stat blocks are playable as-is.

AslanCross
2010-05-08, 07:35 AM
The 3.5 update fixes it to 15-20, the equivalent of keen rapiers. I'm actually playing one right now and really liking it.

Aye. The 12-20 crit rate was caused by the stacking crit range increases in 3.0. They fixed that.