PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bard Suggestions

Rasman
2010-05-07, 05:40 PM
We're getting ready to start a Pathfinder game that starts at level 10, I'm actually jumping in a session late, but I'll live. Our current composition is a Tanking Cleric, Summoner, Alchemist and Wizard. I considered being a front line fighter, but I've done that as a Monk and I want to explore other aspects of the game other than "smash this". (insert random troll monk bashing here) I actually really enjoy the RP aspects and since we're limited to only Pathfinder classes, Bard seemed like the best choice. To give a concept idea, I'm seeing this bard as being mostly Oratory and Acting, maybe Singing or Comedy as well, so PROBABLY not a musician but more of a Chaucer from A Knight's Tale or a Patrick Henry type.

So I'm basically looking for some bard advice, such as things I should be doing in combat, things I should prepare for before hand, equipment suggestions on a 2,500g budget, etc. Basically anything I should know before playing the class.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-05-07, 05:48 PM
I've yet to have the opportunity to play a Pathfinder Bard, however, I will point you to Treantmonk's (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6463.0) excellent Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2).

Rasman
2010-05-07, 08:24 PM
I've yet to have the opportunity to play a Pathfinder Bard, however, I will point you to Treantmonk's (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6463.0) excellent Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2).

I've actually already looked though it, but it still leaves me with questions.

I did enjoy the concept of the "controller bard", but I guess more of what I'm asking is, what is expected from me when playing a bard?

QuantumSteve
2010-05-07, 08:35 PM
I've actually already looked though it, but it still leaves me with questions.

I did enjoy the concept of the "controller bard", but I guess more of what I'm asking is, what is expected from me when playing a bard?

A Bard is a support character, exactly what that support is can very, but as far as you party's concerned, they're probably not expecting more than some skillmonkey/face out of combat and Inspire Courage in combat

Epinephrine
2010-05-07, 08:46 PM
The bard in the Pathfinder game I am running uses Good Hope, Haste and Inspire Courage as the main fight buffs. Good Hope's minute per level duration sets it up nicely for extending with a lesser metamagic rod, and 20 minutes is a long time.

Silence got used a fair bit. And illusions. And later dispel magic and greater dispel magic. Glitterdust and Slow as debuffs.

LibraryOgre
2010-05-08, 11:00 AM

What's expected of every bard: Pure, unmitigated, awesome.

First of all, it is worth your time to put at least 1 rank in every knowledge skill. Bump up a couple that you like, but 1 rank in every knowledge skill lets you take 10 on the skill. At 10th level, that means you can decide to just take 19+Int modifier on all knowledge skill checks... and you can take 29+Int modifier once per day.

Secondly, you can metagame a little. Since you're 10th level, you have 3 Versatile Performances, obviating the need for 6 skills, if you pick right. Acting, Dance, and Oratory have no overlap, none require items, and are fairly useful skills. You might also try Percussion. However, this means you put no ranks in those skills, and instead put ranks in your performances.

Also, try every available skill check. You can, so you might as well. You might also consider seeding some skill points into other skills, so they'll already be trained when level 16 rolls around.

Now, you're swinging 4th level spells, but my suggestion is to usually prefer spells that buff allies, rather than debuff opponents. Debuffs usually have saves, while buffs do not. A +1 to your allies AC is as good as a -1 to your opponent's ability to hit, so you might as well avoid the saving throws. At 4th level, you might want to look into Shadow Conjuration, though... it's just a nice spell.

For equipment... did you mean 2500gp?

Akal Saris
2010-05-08, 04:09 PM
Epinephrine and Mark Hall both have excellent advice, by the way.

To clarify what Mark Hall was saying, with Versatile Performer and Perform (Oratory) you don't need any ranks in Diplomacy or Sense Motive, because you use Perform (Oratory) for those skills. It adds up to a lot of "free" skills in the end.

For equipment suggestions, 2,500g is really rough. I'd get a mithril chain shirt (2,000g), a masterwork ranged weapon or whip (330g or so), a disguise kit (50g), and several 25g 1st level scrolls like cure light wounds.

Critical
2010-05-08, 07:18 PM
Make sure to go Arcane Archer, it's a must have as a PF Bard. :smallwink:

9mm
2010-05-08, 07:31 PM
Make sure to go Arcane Archer, it's a must have as a PF Bard. :smallwink:

lol wut? PF arcane archer doesn't do anything to help the bard, a Pathfinder Chronicler however does