PDA

View Full Version : Making my first ToB 3.5 character, help requested

Bahumat
2010-05-07, 06:29 PM
Heya! For a campaign coming up soon, I'm going to run one of the ToB base classes, since I finally got a hold of the book. It's apparently starting off similiar to the movie (and game) The Warriors, with members of various mercenary companies (and thus, the party) getting pulled together in a large meeting.

I'm currently torn between Crusader and Warblade, but leaning more towards warblade.

Here's the particulars:

Starting Level: 1st (LA +0 Maximum)
Ability Generation: 4d6 drop lowest
Alignment: Any
Wealth: Specific to Campaign, still need details
Hit Points: Standard
Required Material: PHB I
Optional Material: Pretty much anything I can get my hands on.

Party (that I know of) will consist of: Barbarian, Druid, Cleric, Monk, Warblade/Crusader.

This is an anti-arcane setting (at least where we begin), so arcane spellcasters will be stigma'd against. Also, we'll be getting special abilities based off which mercenary company we join, which may be helpful....

Anyone got any bright ideas for builds?

Edit: Completely forgot to include my rolled stats: 11, 11, 14, 16, 10, 18.

Amphetryon
2010-05-07, 06:37 PM
Warblade, my standard advice is Elf Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10. You want STR, CON, and INT 13+ for this character, ideally. If you can use an Elf with an INT bonus instead of the standard DEX bonus, that's highly recommended.

Diamond Mind maneuvers are usually a good pairing with Eternal Blade. That said, if you've made the character without White Raven Tactics as the first - at worst, second - 3rd level maneuver you access, you're probably Doing It Wrong.

Runestar
2010-05-07, 07:03 PM
Straight warblade is fairly viable, with perhaps a splash of swordsage at higher lvs. What sort of fighting style do you prefer?

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 07:15 PM
For someone new to ToB, I would also recommend Warblade over Crusader.

And, given the party, I second the almost-requirement of the White Raven Tactics maneuver. With a high initiative, it can save a slower member of the party from being surprised/flat-footed. With a low initiative, it can give a faster member of the party a second set of actions in the same round!

With a good Int & Dex, a three level dip into Swashbuckler isn't horrifically bad, since it'll give you Weapon Finesse & +Int to damage against most foes.

The Well Read feat (Forgotten Realms regional feat... easily re-fluffed) will give you all Knowledge Skills as Class Skills... which opens up Knowledge Devotion since your Class already benefits from a good Int (thus lots of skill points).

Bahumat
2010-05-07, 07:18 PM
I'm open to anything, the last main melee I had was a dwarf fighter with spiked chain cheese so......

From what I've looked at so far, I'm going to be taking Diamond Mind, White Raven and Stone Heart manouvers/stances unless something changes. I'd like to be able to hit hard, and control my opponent.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-07, 07:22 PM
I'm open to anything, the last main melee I had was a dwarf fighter with spiked chain cheese so......

From what I've looked at so far, I'm going to be taking Diamond Mind, White Raven and Stone Heart manouvers/stances unless something changes. I'd like to be able to hit hard, and control my opponent.

As a Master of the Stone Dragon once said... "The best way to keep your opponents from doing things is to kill them".

Pile on the damage!

gorfnab
2010-05-08, 01:42 AM
If this is your first ToB build you may want to read through this thread: Tome of Battle for Dummies (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871270/Tome_of_Battle_for_Dummies)
Also I think Warblade would be a good starting ToB especially as stated earlier with the feats Education (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Education) and Knowledge Devotion (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Knowledge_Devotion). Otherwise Warblade 6/ Crusader 2/ Warblade X with a spiked chain and the feats Improved Trip, Stand Still (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Stand_Still), Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mage_Slayer), and Stormguard Warrior create a fairly decent lock-down build.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-08, 02:20 AM
Personally, I like a simple build:

High strength Warblade.

Get the qualifications for Bloodstorm blade, and have fun with it. It's a flexible prc that gives you range and melee options.

Bahumat
2010-05-08, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I've read ToB for dummies. Very useful indeed....

I'm thinking of taking a Halberd instead of a spiked chain this time though.

Currently, it's a tossup between going Eternal Blade (and thus, an elf) or just sticking with a mostly warblade, maybe a dip in either crusader or swordsage at higher levels, and one of the other PrC's...the suggested Bloodstorm Blade or the Master of the Nine seem to be most likely.

Gorf's build looks pretty solid. So, Knowledge devotion gives a minimum +1 to hit and damage? Nice. Looks like I'd get feat starved pretty quickly though, so probably just go human for that one? Lesee....take Education, Knowledge Devotion at first level...then Combat Reflexes at 3, Weapon Focus at 5, Short Haft at 6, then go into the lockdown stuff from then on. Or into pure damage if I feel we're doing well enough without massive control (considering by then the druid/monk will have their fun abilities). Or aim for prerequisite feats (Ironheart Aura for Stormguard Warrior)......or get Adaptative Style somewhere.....aaaahhhhhh.......

Plus, being human'd give me the skill points to ensure I can have a few ranks in the skills required as prereqs or used in manouvers too.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-08, 06:24 AM

Why not take both? Use the stats for a spiked chain, but call it a polearm of some sort. Say you learned a special guisarme attack style that lets you hit adjacent enemies and get a +2 to disarm. You wield it more lightly, which removes the x3 modifier and changes the damage to slashing, but you can also use more finesse with the weapon.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-08, 06:25 AM
Let's look at Orc, rather than elf, for a moment.

Drop that 18 in Str, and it becomes a 22.
16 in Dex
14 in Con (becomes 16 if you're a water Orc)
11,11, 10 in mentals. (becomes 9,9,8)

Now, you're looking, at level 1, at a base of +7 to hit. Use a guisarme, and you've got 2d4+9 damage, with no work at all, at reach. Armor spikes on that breastplate, and you can attack in close or at reach.

Work for Warblade 5 / Bloodstorm Blade 10 / Warblade +5

Simple, elegant, and violent. With BSB's capstone, you're the bane of invisible/hiding creatures. With it's level 4 ability, you've got full attacks with your good weapon at range.

The versatility gives you a solid option in most any situation, and is a very easy ToB build to learn and be effective in.

EDIT: I recommend also Dragonborn, if you can. +2 con, -2 dex, and all the odd racial negatives you have go away (light sensitivity, etc).

Draz74
2010-05-08, 12:58 PM
New to ToB? Then just go simple. You don't need any PrCs. Just go high-Strength Warblade and enjoy hitting things with pointy objects (and being effective at it).

Greenish
2010-05-08, 01:06 PM

…then Combat Reflexes at 3, Weapon Focus at 5, Short Haft at 6…Halberd is not a reach weapon.

CyMage
2010-05-08, 01:09 PM
Lesee....take Education, Knowledge Devotion at first level...then Combat Reflexes at 3, Weapon Focus at 5, Short Haft at 6, then go into the lockdown stuff from then on.

Knowledge Devotion has a prerequisite of 5 ranks in a knowledge skill. Can't take it at level 1 unless you're trading it in as a Cleric. Probably trade Combat Reflexes and KD.