PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Skill monkeys, and the finer arts of smashing

KatfishKaos
2010-05-07, 08:14 PM
Hey playgrounders, I need a bit of help. I've got 2 feats left, and as I was finishing up this character I realized he was about as good at thwacking as a brick wall is good at looking pretty. This is my first time making a pathfinder character so any and all tips in general would be awesome. But I'd like to be able to do more then just walk about going "I can unlock that." or "I know that!". Now have no fear I plan to use Inspire Courage coupled but any and all help would be muchly appreciated.

Paladin 2 / Bard 5

Strength; 10
Dexterity; 10
Constitution; 11
Intelligence; 16
Wisdom; 9
Charisma; 18

HP; 42

BAB: +5
Total
Fort/Ref/Will
+10 /+9 /+11

Class Features;
- Aura of Good
- Detect Evil
- Smite Evil 1/day
- Divine Grace
- Lay on Hands
- Bardic knowledge
- Bardic performance
- Countersong
- Distraction
- Fascinate
- Inspire Courage +2
- Inspirce Competence +2
- Versatile performance
- Well-versed
- Lore master 1/day
- Cantrips

Skills
Diplomacy; 7
Knowledge
- Nobility; 3
- Arcana; 3
- Local; 3
- Nature; 3
- Religion; 3
Proffession
- Gardening; 1
Sense Motive; 5
Spellcraft; 4
Handle Animal; 2
Heal; 1
Bluff; 6
Intimidate; 3
Sleight of Hand; 4
Stealth; 5
Perform (Oratory); 7
Use Magic Device; 4

Feats;
Level 1; Obtain Familiar
Level 2;
Level 4; Song of the Heart
Level 6;

QuantumSteve
2010-05-07, 08:31 PM
Arcane Strike is good for any melee caster build. CW version is better than PF if if your mixing 3.5 and PF. Devoted Performer from CAdv is good if allowed. Power Attak is a must for any melee build.

Actually, here's some links: Treantmonk's Guide to Pathfinder Bards (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2), The Bard's Handbook(3.5) (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook)

Akal Saris
2010-05-07, 09:11 PM
First, you can save a lot of skill points by using perform skills wisely and the Versatile Performer ability you got at 2nd and will get again at 6th.

Versatile Performer lets you use Perform (Oratory) to make Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks, so you can shift 7 points out of diplomacy and 5 out of sense motive.

Put 7 of those ranks into the Perform skill you'll get at 6th: probably Dance, Comedy, or or Act. Then take those 6 ranks out of bluff and put them somewhere else. I recommend max ranks in Perception, even as a non-class skill. But yeah: More skill points all around! Hooray!

As for feats:

You've got a great Int and lots of knowledge skills, so I'd recommend Knowledge Devotion from Complete Champion. It lets you make a knowledge check to gain +1/+1 to att/dmg on a poor check, up to +5/+5 on a really good check. Usable at will with every opponent. Where you are now, it's a reliable +2/+2 that will occasionally be +3/+3.

For the other feat, how about Snowflake Wardance from Frostburn? Burn a bardic music attempt (in this case maybe 1 round's worth instead?), gain +Cha to attack rolls with a 1-handed slashing weapon.

You might also want to get Devoted Performer or the other paladin-bard stacking feat. And if you have EBCS material, you can swap Inspire Competence for the Song of the Heart feat, which gives another +1/+1 to your base bardic music.

Good luck!

Mongoose87
2010-05-07, 09:19 PM
Isn't there a feat that lets you stack Paladin and Bard levels for music?

tyckspoon
2010-05-07, 10:01 PM
Pathfinder Paladin has an improved Smite. You have the Cha to make use of it, but the smite/day progression is still shamefully low. Therefor I recommend picking up Extra Smiting from Comp. Divine. And maybe Devoted Performer, which will let your Bard levels count as Paladin levels for your smite damage.

true_shinken
2010-05-07, 10:10 PM
I second the suggestions for Devoted Performer and focus on smite. You could even swap your special mount for more smite power!