PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Systems Beyond Good and Evil

lost_my_NHL
2010-05-08, 04:32 AM
We all know how limiting the Biaxial DnD alignment system is on rôleplaying. As a sort of fun exercise, let's take different philosophical systems and assign game mechanics to them! I imagined that they would be primarily humorous and unusable, but it would be great to bring usable, meaty material to the table.

I'll start with Ayn Rand's Objectivism. There's only two possibilities: Egotist and Not Egotist (and thus lumped into collectivist). Moreover, Egotist characters get +2 to strength, intelligence, and wisdom, and -6 to charisma. Collectivist characters get -2 to strength, intelligence, and wisdom, and +6 to charisma. Starting gold is irrelevant. Classes allowed: Inventor can only be Egotist. Musician, Architect, Executive, Banker, Pirate can be either alignment, and Journalist, Art Critic, Philanthropist/Social Worker, Politician can only be collectivist. Aristocrats can only be Egotist if they have a level in another class that allows them to be egotist.

Example character: Ellsworth Monkton Toohey. Collectivist Human Journalist 12/Art Critic 4/Philanthropist 6.
SA: Slander, Epic Sophistry, Threaten, Sway public opinion

Jules Fougler. Collectivist Art Critic 6/Journalist 6
SQ: inflated sense of self importance

Ragnar Dannesköld. Egotist Pirate 14
Bab: Badass

Francisco D'Anconia. Egotist Aristocrat 6/Banker 15
SA:Sway public opinion
gp: yes, please. Finally, an objective currency!

DracoDei
2010-05-08, 06:01 AM
Well, there was the Funky/Square (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=55828) axis...

Yora
2010-05-08, 06:40 AM
We all know how limiting the Biaxial DnD alignment system is on rôleplaying.
Is it? I think a lot of people would contest that claim.

Last year I created a Fate system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121675) that distinguished between characters who concentrate more on shaping their personal fate or the fate of a larger group, and characters who do so by taking the spotlight or manipulating events from the background.
I still like the system, but as nice as it is, what does it add to the game? It's fun to assign types to specific characters, but in the end, it's completely useless.

With standard alignment I take one very short glance at a creatures description and instantly have a general idea if it os compasionate or selfish, or practices restraint and focuses on planning ahead, or trusts his intuition and does what feel right at the moment. This is a very useful information for a gm, but most other systems I've seen so far are fancy, but don't provide any additional information.
Light Side/Dark Side are barely defined and work best as Jedi propaganda, unless you go for hollier than thou heroes and baby eating villains.
Jade Empires Open Palm/Closed Fist system was an interesting idea when it is explained, but in the actual game appears to be exactly like light side/dark side. Either path can be good or evil and lawful or chaotic, and it also does provide a general outline about how the character reacts to his environment. But with only two poles, it seems a bit too simple for my taste.

Haarkla
2010-05-08, 09:38 AM
I would add a third alignment axis; progressive-traditionalist.

Traditionalists prefer established ways of doing things, stability and the eternal.

Progressives like change, modernity, improvement and progress.

Examples:

LGT Winston Churchill.
CGT Princess Mononoke
LET Himmler
CET Destructive barbarians, the popular image of Attila the Hun

LGP Hermione Granger, Jean-Luc Picard
CGP Dr Who, Agatha Clay (Girl Genius)
LEP Saruman, Stalin
CEP Tzeentch

Barbarians & Paladins cannot be Progressive.

Clerics, monks, druids, rangers, bards and wizards all tend to the Traditionalist.

Fighters vary widely.

Urban rogues and different sorcerers tend to be Progressive.

Dienekes
2010-05-08, 11:04 AM
I'd also question giving people stat bonuses based on philosophy they happen to adhere to. (Egoists being more intelligent my eye)

Lysander
2010-05-08, 11:23 AM
There could be a Comedy/Drama axis to determine whether or not a character serves as comic relief.

lightningcat
2010-05-09, 12:59 AM
There is the color wheel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136177) system.

Agrippa
2010-05-09, 01:18 AM
I would add a third alignment axis; progressive-traditionalist.

Traditionalists prefer established ways of doing things, stability and the eternal.

Progressives like change, modernity, improvement and progress.

Examples:

LGT Winston Churchill.
CGT Princess Mononoke
LET Himmler
CET Destructive barbarians, the popular image of Attila the Hun

LGP Hermione Granger, Jean-Luc Picard
CGP Dr Who, Agatha Clay (Girl Genius)
LEP Saruman, Stalin
CEP Tzeentch

Barbarians & Paladins cannot be Progressive.

Clerics, monks, druids, rangers, bards and wizards all tend to the Traditionalist.

Fighters vary widely.

Urban rogues and different sorcerers tend to be Progressive.

First, in my opinion wizards would tend toward the Progressive due their need for free inquiry and scientific thought. Second, does that mean you wouldn't allow a Myrlund (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Murlynd)-like paladin?

Gensh
2010-05-09, 10:11 AM
Not another system, really, but I'd enjoy running a game where ALL the alignment axes were Law vs. Chaos. At the very least you've got Moorcock-styled Law vs. Chaos and MegaTen-styled Law vs. Chaos or in other words perfectly metered Oblivion vs. Explosion of everything and Unity vs. Individual.

I'd vouch for Traditionalist wizards; after all, how many of them actually develop new spells and adventure when they can use Mordekainen's and then sit on their power base forever?