PDA

View Full Version : Techsmith opinions [3.5]

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-08, 06:10 AM
As a "back-up" character, I was considering making a Gnome Rogue/Wizard, then prestiging into Techsmith as described in CPr, and wondered what people thought of Techsmiths?

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 06:31 AM
CPr? what book is that? The only Techsmith I know of is in Faiths and Pantheons. Gains a bunch of construct specific features, Firearms Prof, and a golem buddy.

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-08, 06:33 AM
CPr? what book is that? The only Techsmith I know of is in Faiths and Pantheons. Gains a bunch of construct specific features, Firearms Prof, and a golem buddy.

Sorry, CPr is my abbreviation for Complete Prestige, where it is also listed. I love the Gondsman thing, but I can't see the anti-golem and anti-construct stuff being highly useful, same goes for the firearms proficiency.

But to have my own robot? That's GOT to be worth a look...

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 07:10 AM
I agree! You could always ask your DM if you can swap the firearm for some other weapon. Eberron's Spikard weapons would fit the feel.

Also keep in mind that the Gondsman will get feats. I know this was a point of argument for a while, but the gondsmen in Waterdeep: city of splendors clear this up.

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-08, 07:14 AM
OK, just so I'm clear on Gondsman: They have HD equal to 3 + Creator's HD, gain feats when at the appropriate HD level, and have set ability scores according to what size you choose.

...I'm in love with them already :smallsmile: I'll try and get the "Have to go to such and such place" prerequisite waived, as our campaign is not set in any of the conventional D&D worlds, and might ask for a different EWP than firearms (Unless I design an interesting form of firearm wepaon that would be appropriate for the time period).

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 07:23 AM
They get either 3+creator's HD, or 3+ your levels in Techsmith. Either way, not too shabby (you can always turn it into archery support and back up medic with potions)

El Dorado
2010-05-08, 08:08 AM
I had a buddy play a Techsmith. He absolutely loved it. It's just such a neat class. Perfect for gnomes.

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-08, 08:09 AM
I had a buddy play a Techsmith. He absolutely loved it. It's just such a neat class. Perfect for gnomes.

Aye, my backup was going to be a Gnome Rogue/Wizard that went down the "Gadget-Master" career path in HBG, so I'm gonna do the same thing just taking 5 levels or so in Techsmith.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 08:19 AM
Hmm... What would be a good 5 level PrC to finish off a Cleric-5 /Techsmith-10 I wonder?

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-08, 08:23 AM
Hmm... What would be a good 5 level PrC to finish off a Cleric-5 /Techsmith-10 I wonder?

I don't know if any other PrCs would compliment a Techsmith, perhaps levels in Rogue?

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 08:51 AM
Hmm... I guess Ordained Champion. You do get a bonus domain you can trade in at 3rd.

Oh. Can a cleric get into Effigy Master?