PDA

View Full Version : whisper gnomes and mithral shirts

graeylin
2010-05-08, 11:11 AM
whisper gnomes have a speed of 30'... if they wear a mithral shirt, is that reduced to 20', because they are small creatures?

Flickerdart
2010-05-08, 11:13 AM
No. A mithral chain shirt is light armour and does not reduce speed. They could wear mithral breastplate and still move at 30ft speed.

Drogorn
2010-05-08, 11:13 AM
Huh? Their speed won't be reduced if they're wearing light armor, period. Only medium and heavy armors reduce speed.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 11:14 AM
not if you stay within your light load limit.

Greenish
2010-05-08, 11:18 AM
not if you stay within your light load limit.Which, incidentally, is probably easier for small creatures, since their gear only weights half of what it does for medium creatures, but they have the carrying capacity of 3/4ths of the medium creatures'.

Flickerdart
2010-05-08, 11:20 AM
Heh, I was playing a Halfling Beguiler once, rolled an 8 for my STR, so it ended up being a 6. Sucker had trouble lifting anything except the clothes on his back.

Greenish
2010-05-08, 11:21 AM
Heh, I was playing a Halfling Beguiler once, rolled an 8 for my STR, so it ended up being a 6. Sucker had trouble lifting anything except the clothes on his back.Good thing beguilers don't have to sink to manual labour. :smallbiggrin:

graeylin
2010-05-08, 12:00 PM
I asked, because the DMG/SRD gives the speed of the mithral shirt as 20' for small creatures..

Mithral Shirt: This extremely light chain shirt is made of very fine mithral links. Speed while wearing a mithral shirt is 30 feet for Medium creatures, or 20 feet for Small. The armor has an arcane spell failure chance of 10%, a maximum Dexterity bonus of +6, and no armor check penalty. It is considered light armor and weighs 10 pounds.

No aura (nonmagical); Price 1,100 gp.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-08, 12:04 PM
I asked, because the DMG/SRD gives the speed of the mithral shirt as 20' for small creatures..

Mithral Shirt: This extremely light chain shirt is made of very fine mithral links. Speed while wearing a mithral shirt is 30 feet for Medium creatures, or 20 feet for Small. The armor has an arcane spell failure chance of 10%, a maximum Dexterity bonus of +6, and no armor check penalty. It is considered light armor and weighs 10 pounds.

No aura (nonmagical); Price 1,100 gp.
Whisper Gnomes are a specific exception to the '20 speed for Small creatures' rule and likely hadn't even been thought of at the time Mithral shirt was statted out. By your argument, this would speed up a dwarf.

IonDragon
2010-05-08, 12:08 PM
Whisper Gnomes are a specific exception to the '20 speed for Small creatures' rule and likely hadn't even been thought of at the time Mithral shirt was statted out. By your argument, this would speed up a dwarf.

Whisper Gnome may not have existed, but Kobold did. It was just an over specification in the description. It is meant to show that it has no impact on speed. Why they didn't just say that, I don't know.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-08, 12:11 PM
Whisper Gnome may not have existed, but Kobold did. It was just an over specification in the description. It is meant to show that it has no impact on speed. Why they didn't just say that, I don't know.
Heh right, and as I mentioned in an edit, Core dwarves are another exception to the usual movement rates that would be affected by taking this interpretation.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-08, 12:12 PM
Which, incidentally, is probably easier for small creatures, since their gear only weights half of what it does for medium creatures, but they have the carrying capacity of 3/4ths of the medium creatures'.

Are you sure that all gear is resized? I thought hat only some things are. :smallconfused:

Greenish
2010-05-08, 12:46 PM
Are you sure that all gear is resized? I thought hat only some things are. :smallconfused:Weapons, armour, backpack and clothes are. Scrolls, wands, potions, etc. probably not.

Maybe I should've said "most of gear" or maybe "equipments".

tyckspoon
2010-05-08, 12:52 PM
Are you sure that all gear is resized? I thought hat only some things are. :smallconfused:

Anything you can find made in size Small. So anything you can buy out of the Equipment chapter of the book is probably available in reduced size, but the majority of found stuff will be made for Medium creatures, and there's probably some vaguely hand-waved reason for why wands/scrolls/potions and the like have to be the same size regardless of who made it.

Reynard
2010-05-08, 12:56 PM
Really? The PHB only has Backpacks, Bedrolls, Winter Blankets, Pouches, Rations, Sacks, Climber's and Disguise Kits, Musical Instruments, and Basic clothing as having reduced weight when made for small creatures. In addition to weapons and armour.

Ferrin
2010-05-08, 02:13 PM
Really? The PHB only has Backpacks, Bedrolls, Winter Blankets, Pouches, Rations, Sacks, Climber's and Disguise Kits, Musical Instruments, and Basic clothing as having reduced weight when made for small creatures. In addition to weapons and armour.

It's because it doesn't make sense for a 10-ft pole to be lighter for a small character. :smallbiggrin:

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-05-08, 02:23 PM
It's because it doesn't make sense for a 10-ft pole to be lighter for a small character. :smallbiggrin:

"Step right up, you there sir, step right up and see the latest in Adventuring Equipment! I've got here, state of the art, Gnomish Ten Foot Poles. They do everything your standard Ten Foot Pole can do, yes sir, they poke, they prod, they collapse into three easy-to-store pieces. Have you ever been deep in the Underdark and unable to carry your standard, human crafted, Ten Foot Pole through a tight squeeze or crevasse? Well, these new Gnomish Ten Foot Poles are your answer! They come in 7 and 1/2 foot lengths and half the weight of standard..."