PDA

View Full Version : Illithid LA +0

The Pressman
2010-05-08, 01:44 PM
What racial bonuses would you drop to make the illithid less broken, and maybe even reach LA +0?

CrypticOcean
2010-05-08, 02:01 PM
While a lot of the Illithid's potential power comes from its high ability scores, I think the spell-like abilities of an Illithid are what puts its LA so high. An infinite 60 ft cone of 3d4 rounds of stun, (which is often followed up by an instant kill via consumption of brain) Levitate, Plane Shift, etc. are what make the Illithid a challenge in battle.

But, if you are trying to weaken it to the point of PCdom, you might end up removing everything that makes an Illthid...an Illithid. Keeping Intelligence and Charisma bonuses would be most Illithid-like...but I really could not see an Illithid having penalties of any sort.

Regardless, even with "balanced" ability scores, an Illithid's LA would still be around +3 to +4 if it still retained all of its abilities.

The Pressman
2010-05-08, 02:03 PM
So basically, remove all spell-like abilities, and weaken ability scores?

Would you be able to keep extract?

gdiddy
2010-05-08, 02:05 PM
Savage Species, Page 186

There are the answers you seek, my child.

Boci
2010-05-08, 02:08 PM
Take the elan, change the state penalty to strength and swap resiliance for the ability to heal 5 hp / character level or 1 point of ability damage / 3 levels by consuming a fresh brain (process takes 1 minute, i.e. must be performed on creature that was either recently killed or helpless and soon to be dead)?

demidracolich
2010-05-08, 02:21 PM
If you don't mind hombrew, take a look at Olsecamo's improved monster classes project on these forums.

The Pressman
2010-05-08, 02:29 PM
Where?
<link pl0x>

Oslecamo
2010-05-08, 02:44 PM
Where?
<link pl0x>

Here good sir. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142724)

The mind flayer here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13)

Inhuman Bot
2010-05-08, 08:50 PM
But, if you are trying to weaken it to the point of PCdom, you might end up removing everything that makes an Illthid...an Illithid. Keeping Intelligence and Charisma bonuses would be most Illithid-like...but I really could not see an Illithid having penalties of any sort.

I dunno, dex seems fine. Maybe that or con.

Osclecamo's win homebrew of awesome(tm) is better though, imho.