PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Heroes are Made, not Born

Cieyrin
2010-05-08, 04:44 PM
I wrote the Peasant Quest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128275) thread a while ago now and now I've come back around to making it actually go again. This time, I have a much more formalized rules set that's inspired by some of what was brought up in the old thread, for which I'd like to thank Hashmir and JellyPooga for their insight.

The rules are here (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AUyR49oDAjwhZGNrcHJjendfMTVjZzVqOTVkMw&hl=en).

Right now, I want to polish these rules while I get material written up for the first bits of "adventure". The issues I'm wrestling with are whether I should allow Psionics, as Hidden Talent Commoners worry me for party balance. I'm also curious about the thoughts on using Arcana Unearthed's Hero Point system. Would it be better to go with Eberron's Action Points, Iron Heroes' Glory Points, some other system or none at all. I personally think Hero Points best fits the common man rising up to take destiny in their own hands.

Finally, I'd like to gauge the interest for running such a game. I have one player already (Amphetryon) and I'd ideally like another 3-5 players.

So, what says you, oh Playground?

Reynard
2010-05-08, 04:49 PM
Sounds like a cool idea, I'd be up for it.

Flickerdart
2010-05-08, 04:50 PM
Ooh, I'd play.

Psionics should be fine. After all, an analogous feat exists to get a single SLA. Is Human the only allowed race?

Greenish
2010-05-08, 04:53 PM
You could re-tittle the first levels as "The Attack of the Riding Dogs". :smalltongue:

[Edit]: I could see the Devotion feats from Comp. Champ. being quite strong at the early levels (especially if I understood correctly that you can get turn undead at level 1). So, you're all level 1 commoners, but one of you has Overland Flight for 4+Cha mod minutes per day. Or a natural weapon for d6 damage and pierces DR, and so forth.

Also, some races (elves & half-humans) come with martial weapon proficiencies, when the other players will only have one simple weapon proficiency.

Reynard
2010-05-08, 04:56 PM
Maybe Psionics could be done with a fifth Adept ACF.

You could re-tittle the first levels as "The Attack of the Riding Dogs". :smalltongue:

Or 'Cat! S**t! RUN!'

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-08, 04:56 PM
Actually, you could probably let Psionics in under either Warrior (PsiWar) or Expert (Psion), with the caveat that you are required to spend your bonus feat on Hidden Talent to qualify for progressing into either class.

Cieyrin
2010-05-08, 05:04 PM
Psionics should be fine. After all, an analogous feat exists to get a single SLA.

The only similar feats I can find are those in Complete Arcane but I see what you mean. That's one of the conclusions I came to as well, though I was trying to think whether the adaptability of such was still too much, regardless. Additional support may be needed before whether I allow in the mental magics.

Is Human the only allowed race?

Any of the core races are available. Humans aren't the only people who know how to schlep and farm, y'know. :smalltongue:

I could see the Devotion feats from Comp. Champ. being quite strong at the early levels (especially if I understood correctly that you can get turn undead at level 1). So, you're all level 1 commoners, but one of you has Overland Flight for 4+Cha mod minutes per day. Or a natural weapon for d6 damage and pierces DR, and so forth.

The Turn Undead bit is only after getting into Adept and then as a Divine Adept at 2nd level. Extra Turning would be needed to start getting anywhere with that, as well.

As for the Devotions, I'll have to have a good hard look at those, as that is kinda on the same level as Hidden Talent was for throwing early balance off for me. I don't know yet how I feel about the common man dropping negative levels on people or summoning elementals from their buckets.

Also, some races (elves & half-humans) come with martial weapon proficiencies, when the other players will only have one simple weapon proficiency.

I realize that but that's just a racial balance point towards elves. The thing with that is you need to be able to get access to one, which is rather difficult when you only start with 5d4 gold, when a longsword is 15 gp and a rapier is 20 gp. I'm aiming at starting in a thorp, so you may have been trained to use your racial weapons but what you trained with were practice swords and whatnot.

Actually, you could probably let Psionics in under either Warrior (PsiWar) or Expert (Psion), with the caveat that you are required to spend your bonus feat on Hidden Talent to qualify for progressing into either class.

That...is actually a decent idea on how to balance that. I'll have to contemplate that some more but I'm starting to think that could actually work fairly well.

Touchy
2010-05-08, 05:10 PM
The only similar feats I can find are those in Complete Arcane but I see what you mean. That's one of the conclusions I came to as well, though I was trying to think whether the adaptability of such was still too much, regardless. Additional support may be needed before whether I allow in the mental magics.

Any of the core races are available. Humans aren't the only people who know how to schlep and farm, y'know. :smalltongue:

They are just generally assumed to be the ones who do it, halflings aren't out of the picture either, and elves+dwarves who live in human towns probably do as well. Half elves and half-orcs probably both can be commoners, provided we don't have racist townfolk. Gnomes would probably be harder since they are more "fey" but warrior gnomes are fairly strict.

Cieyrin
2010-05-08, 05:17 PM
They are just generally assumed to be the ones who do it, halflings aren't out of the picture either, and elves+dwarves who live in human towns probably do as well. Half elves and half-orcs probably both can be commoners, provided we don't have racist townfolk. Gnomes would probably be harder since they are more "fey" but warrior gnomes are fairly strict.

Gnomes have their commoners as well, as they raise their underground mushroom farms and raise their goats and chickens. They still gotta eat, too, and gnome communities aren't exactly nomadic or wholely dependent on trade for their foodstuffs.

Maybe Psionics could be done with a fifth Adept ACF.

The issue there is I'm drawing a blank on refluffing the adept into psionics. Probably not that hard, really, it's just that i don't get to do psionics all that often, so modifying things in that system is a larger hurdle for me than devising the other ACFs. The issue of what to change their special to is another thing, though i suppose they could all have psicrystals or something.

Greenish
2010-05-08, 05:34 PM
Or 'Cat! S**t! RUN!'I was referring to Handle Animal being a commoner's strongest weapon. Riding Dogs might be a bit expensive, but a couple of cats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm) shouldn't be too hard to come along, you're right.

Hmm, a mule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mule.htm) would probably be the most strongest option at 8gp, though normal dogs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dog.htm) can't be that expensive either.

Amphetryon
2010-05-08, 05:42 PM
I'm most familiar with Action Points, but Hero Points et al are fine alternatives.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-08, 07:07 PM
I'd definitely be interested in a game like this. I'll read the rules when I finish up this character for a different game I'm applying to and offer (probably not too helpful criticism).

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-09, 05:16 PM
I might be interested in participating in this.

I would like to make it clear that I might not be able to post very often for a period of about a month or so, starting May 23rd. If this will be a problem, I would understand denying me on those grounds.

IonDragon
2010-05-09, 05:20 PM
I say this should probably get moved over to the Recruitment board.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-09, 05:28 PM
Gnomes have their commoners as well, as they raise their underground mushroom farms and raise their goats and chickens. They still gotta eat, too, and gnome communities aren't exactly nomadic or wholely dependent on trade for their foodstuffs.

The issue there is I'm drawing a blank on refluffing the adept into psionics. Probably not that hard, really, it's just that i don't get to do psionics all that often, so modifying things in that system is a larger hurdle for me than devising the other ACFs. The issue of what to change their special to is another thing, though i suppose they could all have psicrystals or something.

I'd think a psionic adept fluff-wise would be easier to make than most spellcasting classes - the idea of a low-grade psychic talent is a staple of the genre. Your big hurdle is going to be the mechanical side of converting the adept into a psionicist.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-09, 05:31 PM
I'm in. Send this to the recruitment board.
-Xavez

Weezer
2010-05-09, 06:31 PM
It seems like a pretty cool idea, the rules seem like they'd do a good job at transitioning the characters from "oh **** a cat" to more traditional heroing.
If you're still looking for people i'm up for it, just finished finals and have lots of time on my hands.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-09, 10:08 PM
I'd think a psionic adept fluff-wise would be easier to make than most spellcasting classes - the idea of a low-grade psychic talent is a staple of the genre. Your big hurdle is going to be the mechanical side of converting the adept into a psionicist.1 power known per level, with a level progression on par with the sorcerer-adept, use the PsiWar PP progression for a lower scale of PP reserve, which will eventually scale up to Psion-level PP reserve.

EDIT: Here's what I mean:

{table]Level | PP/day | Powers Known | Maximum Level
1st | 0* | 1 | 1st
2nd | 1 | 2 | 1st
3rd | 3 | 3 | 1st
4th | 5 | 4 | 2nd
5th | 7 | 5 | 2nd
6th | 11 | 6 | 2nd[/table]
* still has any bonus pp from the appropriate table, plus any from Wild Talent

That's for the Adept going into Psion. He may only choose powers from the Psion list, he cannot choose a specialty until he actually gets his first Psion level. He may choose to switch out a single power for every level he takes, as long as it is the same level power as the one replaced.

For the Warrior going into PsiWar, he doesn't actually get any powers or pp, other than those from his feat, until he actually starts taking PsiWar levels. Note that he might actually start loosing BAB when switching PsiWar levels for Warrior levels... this needs to be taken into consideration. As an option, he may also receive any bonus PP he might get from a high Wis stat, so he can at least use his power more than once per day.

An Adept going into Psion needs to choose his Power from the Wild Talent feat from the Psion powers list, and a Warrior going into PsiWar needs to choose his power from the Wild Talent feat from the PsiWar list.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 05:41 PM
What about a weaker version of the Sorcerer? (i.e. Adept with only arcane spells) Also, what level do we have to be to start gaining character class levels?
-Xavez
P.S. Shouldn't this get moved to the recruitment board?

Cieyrin
2010-05-10, 05:42 PM
I say this should probably get moved over to the Recruitment board.

I'm in. Send this to the recruitment board.
-Xavez

In due time, as I need to finalize details, as well as get used to my current job's schedule, as a heavy-handed shift has occurred with it, changing my work times from 9-5 M-F to mostly nights 3:30-midnight and trading working Thursday for Saturday. Also of note was that I wanted to gauge interest (which there evidentally is, I've noted :smallwink:), so this isn't officially a recruitment thread. I'll open one up and link from here when I have enough material together to comfortably run the first amounts of misadventure and whatnot.

1 power known per level, with a level progression on par with the sorcerer-adept, use the PsiWar PP progression for a lower scale of PP reserve, which will eventually scale up to Psion-level PP reserve.

EDIT: Here's what I mean:

{table]Level | PP/day | Powers Known | Maximum Level
1st | 0* | 1 | 1st
2nd | 1 | 2 | 1st
3rd | 3 | 3 | 1st
4th | 5 | 4 | 2nd
5th | 7 | 5 | 2nd
6th | 11 | 6 | 2nd[/table]
* still has any bonus pp from the appropriate table, plus any from Wild Talent

That's for the Adept going into Psion. He may only choose powers from the Psion list, he cannot choose a specialty until he actually gets his first Psion level. He may choose to switch out a single power for every level he takes, as long as it is the same level power as the one replaced.

For the Warrior going into PsiWar, he doesn't actually get any powers or pp, other than those from his feat, until he actually starts taking PsiWar levels. Note that he might actually start loosing BAB when switching PsiWar levels for Warrior levels... this needs to be taken into consideration. As an option, he may also receive any bonus PP he might get from a high Wis stat, so he can at least use his power more than once per day.

An Adept going into Psion needs to choose his Power from the Wild Talent feat from the Psion powers list, and a Warrior going into PsiWar needs to choose his power from the Wild Talent feat from the PsiWar list.

Nice, thanks Shneeky, that makes my job slightly easier. I may tweak things here and there before officially adding to the rules but having a rough idea to work with is appreciated.

I'll have a look at Psychic Warrior in their transition, as it may be easiest to have them multiclass from the get-go between Warrior and Psychic Adept and transition into Psychic Warrior from there. Similar things could be done with possibly Duskblade, as well, so I'll have to have a look to see how things mesh up.

EDIT:
What about a weaker version of the Sorcerer? (i.e. Adept with only arcane spells) Also, what level do we have to be to start gaining character class levels?
-Xavez

Both are answered in the rules above. Better NPC class advancement (Adept, Expert and Warrior) starts at 4th and actual PC classes opens up at 7th, with full hero status arriving at 10th and beyond.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 05:44 PM
I personally think Hero Points best fits the common man rising up to take destiny in their own hands.

What are Hero Points and how do they work?
-Xavez

Cieyrin
2010-05-10, 05:45 PM
What are Hero Points and how do they work?
-Xavez

Again answered in the rules I linked above. :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 06:01 PM
Again answered in the rules I linked above. :smallbiggrin:

Ah. Read the rules now. Even more interested. Can I roll up my character now?
-Xavez
P.S. Use Hero Points.

Cieyrin
2010-05-10, 06:07 PM
Ah. Read the rules now. Even more interested. Can I roll up my character now?
-Xavez

I don't think I could stop you from rolling up a character, now could I?

Just keep in mind that I don't know when I will officially start this up, as I have to finalize Psionics (though it probably won't change that much from what Shneeky has suggested), as well as finish writing materials, like the starting town (which will be a thorp, btw) and the local "fauna" giving you guys an excuse for leaving the safety of home and hearth.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 06:08 PM
I don't think I could stop you from rolling up a character, now could I?

Just keep in mind that I don't know when I will officially start this up, as I have to finalize Psionics (though it probably won't change that much from what Shneeky has suggested), as well as finish writing materials, like the starting town (which will be a thorp, btw) and the local "fauna" giving you guys an excuse for leaving the safety of home and hearth.

Okay then. Character sheet coming soon.
-Xavez

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 06:48 PM
Full backstory needed? Also, what are "Vitality and Wound Points"? The rules you provided doesn't explain what they are, or give a remotely useful reference for them.
-Xavez

Demons_eye
2010-05-10, 07:01 PM
This is cool and I would like to join.

Why it sounds cool is because the characters are likely to have a great sense of accomplishments and achievements.

"Remember a year ago? We were pullin weeds and what not?"
"Ya...."
"Weeds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm)be fighting back now"
"Ya...."
"Need some more o' that poison now"
"Shut up Bob"

Boci
2010-05-10, 07:02 PM
Full backstory needed? Also, what are "Vitality and Wound Points"? The rules you provided doesn't explain what they are, or give a remotely useful reference for them.
-Xavez

Unearthed Arcane I think.

The Rabbler
2010-05-10, 07:06 PM
This looks like a lot of fun; I'd be interested in making a character.

also: are ACFs for PC classes allowed? (example: soulbound weapon ACF for psychic warrior)

EDIT: is there any chance that dungeonscape might be added to the allowed books? a factotum sounds like it would work quite nicely for this.

WildPyre
2010-05-10, 07:12 PM
This looks like super awesome fun lol... I'd be up for playing if there's still room.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 07:45 PM
Unearthed Arcane I think.

Thanks.
-Xavez

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-10, 09:02 PM
Nice, thanks Shneeky, that makes my job slightly easier. I may tweak things here and there before officially adding to the rules but having a rough idea to work with is appreciated.

I'll have a look at Psychic Warrior in their transition, as it may be easiest to have them multiclass from the get-go between Warrior and Psychic Adept and transition into Psychic Warrior from there. Similar things could be done with possibly Duskblade, as well, so I'll have to have a look to see how things mesh up.

My strong suggestion is to not let Psychic Warrior gain any additional powers until they start actually replacing Warrior levels with PsiWar. They aren't as dependent on psychic abilities in the first place, and certain low-end combos can be quite devastating. See also: Hustle Shuffle.

Amphetryon
2010-05-10, 09:23 PM
Query: When exchanging 'improved NPCs' and such, how do you feel about multiclassing? Can you take "Expert/Warrior'" for example? Is Barb/Fighter multiclassing allowed? How about Ranger/Rogue? Sorcerer/Paladin? Etc.

Cieyrin
2010-05-11, 01:49 PM
-Xavez

Back story is appreciated, though I don't expect pages upon pages. Getting an idea of what you expect of your character, as well as background I can draw plot hooks and NPCs from, is primarily what I'd been using it for.

As for Vitality and Wound Points, yes, it's in Unearthed Arcana or, more conveniently, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm). I did write in the rules the page number in UA right next to it, btw. :smalltongue:

This looks like a lot of fun; I'd be interested in making a character.

also: are ACFs for PC classes allowed? (example: soulbound weapon ACF for psychic warrior)

EDIT: is there any chance that dungeonscape might be added to the allowed books? a factotum sounds like it would work quite nicely for this.

Hmm, I'm not sure on ACFs yet but I don't see an issue as of yet. Just point me towards what ACFs you wanna use when we get that close, as 7th level is a long way away and Commoners are fairly mortal. :smallbiggrin:

As for Factotums, I think they're a little too much this, as Factotums seem to draw from an established adventuring tradition, which isn't available in what I envision. A lot of the material in Dungeonscape also draws on that sort of thing as well, which makes me not want to include it at all.

This isn't to say I may not make it available later, depending on how things go, just not from the get go.

My strong suggestion is to not let Psychic Warrior gain any additional powers until they start actually replacing Warrior levels with PsiWar. They aren't as dependent on psychic abilities in the first place, and certain low-end combos can be quite devastating. See also: Hustle Shuffle.

Query: When exchanging 'improved NPCs' and such, how do you feel about multiclassing? Can you take "Expert/Warrior'" for example? Is Barb/Fighter multiclassing allowed? How about Ranger/Rogue? Sorcerer/Paladin? Etc.

Speaking of both, the rules have been updated to include psionics, as well as a bit of multiclassing.

Specific changes added:
2 new Adept types: Lyrical and Psychic.
Magic and Psionic Transparency is at Diminished Effect.
Bard and Psychic Warrior require multiclassing, between Expert/Lyrical Adept and Warrior/Psychic Adept, respectively.
Fractional Saves and BAB progression in effect.

On multiclassing, I don't see an issue with people multiclassing, as some combinations they want on the tail end of multiclassing may require it, like Sorcadins needing Warrior/Bloodline Adept. For favored class issues, that'll come into affect when you hit full PC at 10th (provided we make it that far, which I hope we can). For before that, since the system requires rapid retraining, it'd be a headache to worry about that as well and I don't want XP penalties to slow that progress.

For Psychic Warriors with manifesting, I think as I have it written, Psychic Warriors won't hit 2nd level powers till they start shifting into being actual Psychic Warriors, so we shouldn't have to worry about Hustling combos, I don't think.

Finally, after contemplating Devotions for a while now, I'm going to state that you're limited to 1 till you reach PC class levels and I'll be enforcing appropriate deity choices for devotions. That said, feel free to have a look through them, as I think devotions like Animal, Healing, Sun, Plant and Earth would work wonderfully for a particularly devout commoner of the appropriate deity. I also may be a bit cross if we have Death Devotion commoners unless you got a damn good story reason for it.

Input on the current state of the rules, such as whether Psychic Warriors and Bards got way too complicated, whether the Psychic Adept's special is at the right power level, would be appreciated.:smallwink:

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-11, 02:03 PM
About retraining levels: Could I take Adept with 1 level of Warrior as my improved NPC class and retrain all of the levels to Sorcerer? I am thinking of making an eventual Sorcerer 10/Eldritch Knight 10 and want to know if I could do that, or if I have to take a level of fighter, barbarian, ranger, or paladin.
-Xavez

Cieyrin
2010-05-11, 02:30 PM
About retraining levels: Could I take Adept with 1 level of Warrior as my improved NPC class and retrain all of the levels to Sorcerer? I am thinking of making an eventual Sorcerer 10/Eldritch Knight 10 and want to know if I could do that, or if I have to take a level of fighter, barbarian, ranger, or paladin.
-Xavez

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be a Warrior/Bloodline Adept and become all Sorcerer, using the Warrior level to qualify to get into Eldritch Knight?

The logic pitfall I see here is by the time you could go Eldritch Knight, you wouldn't have that Warrior level and thus wouldn't have the proficiency to get in. As such, you'd need a Warrior-like level, such as any of the above you mentioned.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-11, 03:55 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be a Warrior/Bloodline Adept and become all Sorcerer, using the Warrior level to qualify to get into Eldritch Knight?

The logic pitfall I see here is by the time you could go Eldritch Knight, you wouldn't have that Warrior level and thus wouldn't have the proficiency to get in. As such, you'd need a Warrior-like level, such as any of the above you mentioned.

So only skill points and feats stay the same when you retrain levels?
-Xavez

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-11, 05:09 PM
So only skill points and feats stay the same when you retrain levels?
-Xavez

If I am understanding correctly, you have to retrain skill points and any feats you no longer qualify for...

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-11, 05:24 PM
If I am understanding correctly, you have to retrain skill points and any feats you no longer qualify for...

Read the rules link he gave.
-Xavez

The Rabbler
2010-05-11, 06:30 PM
it was specifically mentioned that skill points are not retrained (and I doubt feats would be either, as the prereq's are more difficult to make without class features in the first place). You get all class features of the classes you take and you lose them when you train out of those classes.

you'd still need to go fighter 1/sorcerer9/eldritch knight 10.

unrelated: the ACF I was looking at is the same one I mentioned in the example where I stated the question. the ACF can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), but it's a web enhancement.
I'd understand if this were to be disallowed.

also: pity about the factotum. I was hoping to be the ultimate skillmonkey for the party. oh well, I understand.

EDIT: I took a look at the Psychic Adept progression and it looks very well-built. but it does allow for level 2 powers at level... 5.5. It looks great.

as a semi-related question, do we keep all powers we learn via adept levels? if I were to make a psion, would I keep all of the powers? would I lose them level by level? would I be allowed to lose the lower level powers first?

I also wondered this about spells as well, but I don't really plan on using them :smalltongue:.

Reynard
2010-05-11, 06:39 PM
Str: 4d6b3
Dex: 4d6b3
Con: 4d6b3
Int: 4d6b3
Wis: 4d6b3
Cha: 4d6b3

Gold: 5d4

Trait (Using this table (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedTraits.html#table-character-traits)) d100

Looking forward to this. One thing, are we allowed to take the Vow of Poverty? I'd understand if not, since it'd be stronger than the rest of the party.

EDIT: Huh, forgot about that. I'll roll again in the dice forum, and link to the results.

EDITEDIT: Results. Alright stats, exactly half gold, and the trait is Detached. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475251&postcount=1119)

Oh, and I re-rolled Str. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475273&postcount=1120)

The Rabbler
2010-05-11, 06:45 PM
stat stuff

were we supposed to roll those on the forum? I rolled mine on a different website. better reroll then:smallredface:.

Reynard
2010-05-11, 06:47 PM
I did it here so that Cieyrin can be sure they're not lies and misdirections. Not that I think anyone will cheat.

Flickerdart
2010-05-11, 06:47 PM
Not too shabby (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475278&postcount=4). Nice bit of cash - he can afford an ox! Passionate is the trait, I'm thinking this'll be a Rogue of some denomination.
Edit: rerolled CHA (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475327&postcount=5).
Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206997).

Reynard
2010-05-11, 06:49 PM
Well, mine seems destined to be a cynical cleric, what with high Wis and Str, and the detached trait.

My reflex saves will be terrible though.

Amphetryon
2010-05-11, 06:52 PM
Sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=37456)

Rolls (http://invisiblecastle.com/search/?search=Phetyr)

Hopefully I didn't blow all my good rolls already.

An animal handler with Illiterate as a Trait; didn't have much use fer book learnin', I reckon.

The Rabbler
2010-05-11, 07:16 PM
sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=207037)

yay! I can still pull off a psychic warrior with my new rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152135)!

EDIT: new sheet.

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-11, 07:18 PM
Rolls. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8473894&postcount=2)

Rerolled Strength. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8473918&postcount=3)

Sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206958)

I think I'm going for Psion.

Flickerdart
2010-05-11, 07:39 PM
Man, everyone else has all these 18s and huge STR.

The Rabbler
2010-05-11, 07:41 PM
Man, everyone else has all these 18s and huge STR.

you should've seen my old scores. 13 was the lowest. 15 was the next lowest.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-11, 07:59 PM
What would be the correct path to take for Warlock?

Flickerdart
2010-05-11, 08:01 PM
I believe only SRD classes are allowed, otherwise I'd be all over Psychic Rogue.

The Rabbler
2010-05-11, 08:04 PM
What would be the correct path to take for Warlock?

probably adept/expert with at least one spell being prestidigitation at all times (though who needs to be forced to do that?)

Demons_eye
2010-05-11, 08:46 PM
Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475909&postcount=9)

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=207025) (Background not done yet)

Made a mistake trait is Passionate not Detached

Reynard
2010-05-12, 11:44 AM
Sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206998) Haven't put in my feats, since I'm waiting for an answer on VoP.

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-12, 01:14 PM
That sheet seems completely blank. Did you forget to save it?

Reynard
2010-05-12, 01:31 PM
*facepalm*

Yes. Fixed.

Cieyrin
2010-05-12, 03:12 PM

it was specifically mentioned that skill points are not retrained (and I doubt feats would be either, as the prereq's are more difficult to make without class features in the first place). You get all class features of the classes you take and you lose them when you train out of those classes.

you'd still need to go fighter 1/sorcerer9/eldritch knight 10.

unrelated: the ACF I was looking at is the same one I mentioned in the example where I stated the question. the ACF can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), but it's a web enhancement.
I'd understand if this were to be disallowed.

also: pity about the factotum. I was hoping to be the ultimate skillmonkey for the party. oh well, I understand.

EDIT: I took a look at the Psychic Adept progression and it looks very well-built. but it does allow for level 2 powers at level... 5.5. It looks great.

as a semi-related question, do we keep all powers we learn via adept levels? if I were to make a psion, would I keep all of the powers? would I lose them level by level? would I be allowed to lose the lower level powers first?

I also wondered this about spells as well, but I don't really plan on using them :smalltongue:.

You keep your skills and feats, as has been noted from the rules.

Spells and powers known should also be kept and slotted into available slots in your class as we go. I'll make a note of that in the rules when I have time.

Also, holy ****, character sheets and stat rolls! @_@
I don't have time right now to look at them all at the moment, as I'm running a bit late to get to work, with all the other chaos today making my life this week incredibly annoying and painful. I'll have them open to look at when i get time to later on, though.

As for the ACF, I don't see anything outwardly wrong with Soulbound Weapon, just make sure to pick Call Weaponry as one of your Psychic Adept powers and there shouldn't be an issue down the line, I think.

Vow of Poverty is nixed, by virtue of BoED not being on the source list. Also, vowing to live in poverty when you don't have a choice otherwise is pretty silly, if you ask me. :smalltongue:

Alrights, hopefully be back tomorrow or perhaps Friday if the chaos doesn't abate a tad. I'll also throw up a list of people in groups when i get time to as well. As a reminder, I don't know when I'll officially kick things off, as I've said previously I still have things to write up and RL is being way more turbulent than I care for.

Dada
2010-05-12, 03:18 PM
Just throwing my interest in the concept out there. My rules knowledge is fairly weak, but I'm a quick learner, so it should be no problem to pick up the relevant pieces. I'll probably try to roll my dirtfarmer one of the coming days.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-13, 01:45 PM
Tharivol Nightbreeze, half-elf commoner. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206715)
-Xavez

Cieyrin
2010-05-13, 03:53 PM
Alright, character auditing done so far:

Feldwick (Flickerdart)
You didn't seem to do the ability score switch, though it could easily have been any of the 14s.
You also have 1 more PP from high Charisma, as you're a 1st level manifester with a high enough Charisma to get one from Hidden Talent.
Finally, for money, my calculations indicate you have 1 gp, 6 sp and 6 cp. Most likely you forgot that your first outfit is free and weightless, as per:

A beginning character is assumed to have an artisan's, entertainer's, monk's, peasant's, scholar's or traveler's outfit. This first outfit is free and does not count against the amount of weight a character can carry.
Relating to gold and coinage in general, Commoners probably don't have much in the way of coin, much less ever seeing gold coins, and more than likely have them in terms of trade goods. Use of this table is encouraged: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins
I suggest a goat for your gold piece! :smallwink:

Leorath (The Rambler)
You have all your feats except for the one you get as a 1st level character. I suggest Shield Proficiency, as currently that light wooden shield is making you suffer the Armor Check Penalty against your attacks, as well as Strength and Dexterity checks and skills. It's only -1 but still annoying.
You've over spent your starting money by 3 gp and 8 sp. I'd back up and maybe axe things like the tindertwig and the 6 pints of oil, which you don't have a lantern or lamp for, anyways.
You also haven't spent any of your skill points yet, though I'm sure you're still considering what to spend all 12 of those on, oh Able Learner.
Hidden Talent is locked to being Charisma-based, so unfortunately, till you hit Psychic Adept, you have to depend on your Charisma, not your Wisdom. (A side note to that is Ectoplasmic Sheen sounds way cooler than Psionic Grease does :smalltongue:; also of note is Ectoplasmic Sheen isn't a Psychic Warrior power, though I think I'll simply consider this like Expanded Knowledge for our purposes, since Hidden Talent can be any 1st level power)
Finally, your notes say you switched Charisma and Dexterity when your sheet really says you switched Charisma and Constitution. An honest mistake, though one you probably want to look into.

Phidias (Claudius Maximus)
You overswitched your stats. I think I wasn't clear in my explanation of Organic Stat Generation, as the last step is switching any 2 ability scores, not make 2 switches of 2 sets of scores. I'm assuming you'd rather switch Strength and Intelligence over Charisma and Wisdom, neh?
Listing your Wound points as your HP through me for a loop, so I ask that everybody list your Vitality Points as HP, as Wound Points are fairly obvious, given they're equal to your Con score.
Ectopic Form(Anathematic Carapace requires Ectopic Form(any form) to acquire, so that choice is currently illegal for you. :smallfrown:
You have 2 more skill points to spend yet, as well.
I'm a mite curious about the acquisition of caltrops, as that's more adventurey than commoners usually have but there isn't any real problem with you having them.
Finally, my calculations of your purchases indicates you have 1 more gold piece than your sheet says. Another victim of the free outfit, I suppose. I think a goat would be lovely.

That's all I have time for right now but I'll get back to more auditing perhaps later on today or tomorrow.

Finally, could I see the stats you rolled in thread, Xavez? Not that I doubt you but I'd like confirmation to see how they were switched about. If not from the dice rolling thread than the Commoner Rolls thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8473880

Reynard
2010-05-13, 04:14 PM
Question: Do we list which weapon we chose for our Commoner's free Simple Weapon Proficiency?

Greenish
2010-05-13, 04:19 PM
I think a goat would be lovely.I'll stop chuckling sometime today, promise. :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, what're the stats for a goat? A wartrained one ought to be pretty fierce on level 1 commoner standards?.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-13, 04:41 PM
Finally, could I see the stats you rolled in thread, Xavez? Not that I doubt you but I'd like confirmation to see how they were switched about. If not from the dice rolling thread than the Commoner Rolls thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8473880

Sorry, I used the Hypertext SRD dice roller. Didn't know I had to use a thread here (not familiar with PbP games). My rolls were:

Strength: 4, 2, 6, 5=15
Dexterity: 2, 3, 3, 4=11 (switched with wisdom)
Constitution: 5, 5, 4, 1=14
Intelligence: 5, 3, 3, 4=12
Wisdom: 1, 2, 2, 3=7; reroll: 6, 6, 5, 3=17 (switched with dexterity)
Charisma: 6, 1, 6, 6=18

Those OK or should I reroll?
-Xavez

The Rabbler
2010-05-13, 05:25 PM
Leorath (The Rambler Rabbler)

fix'd for you.

You have all your feats except for the one you get as a 1st level character. I suggest Shield Proficiency, as currently that light wooden shield is making you suffer the Armor Check Penalty against your attacks, as well as Strength and Dexterity checks and skills. It's only -1 but still annoying.

totally forgot about this. screw the shield.

and I thought I only had 3 feats at level 1. one for flaw (born hero), one for human (able learner), and one for level 1 (hidden talent).

You've over spent your starting money by 3 gp and 8 sp. I'd back up and maybe axe things like the tindertwig and the 6 pints of oil, which you don't have a lantern or lamp for, anyways.

whoopsies. I'll fix that. and I got the pints of oil with the idea that they'd work similarly to a grease spell. I forgot that there's no RAW saying that it does actually do this; my DM always allowed it. I'll get rid of the oil if you do not allow it.

You also haven't spent any of your skill points yet, though I'm sure you're still considering what to spend all 12 of those on, oh Able Learner.

able learner was my first level feat. and yea, I'm still not sure what to spend my skill points on. I'll probably decide that based on what everyone else is planning for their characters.

Hidden Talent is locked to being Charisma-based, so unfortunately, till you hit Psychic Adept, you have to depend on your Charisma, not your Wisdom. (A side note to that is Ectoplasmic Sheen sounds way cooler than Psionic Grease does :smalltongue:; also of note is Ectoplasmic Sheen isn't a Psychic Warrior power, though I think I'll simply consider this like Expanded Knowledge for our purposes, since Hidden Talent can be any 1st level power)

Interesting... but this raises a question for you. Wouldn't this allow for a psychic warrior to know first level psion powers? ignoring hidden talent, wouldn't psychic adept allow me to grab some of the better 1st level psion powers before actually becoming a psychic warrior and keep them forever? I don't know if that'd be worthwhile at all, but it seems to warp the rules a bit and make psychic warriors have a bit more options.

Finally, your notes say you switched Charisma and Dexterity when your sheet really says you switched Charisma and Constitution. An honest mistake, though one you probably want to look into.
p=8473880[/url]

originally, I was switching my Cha for my Dex. must've forgotten to change that. I appologize.

Cieyrin
2010-05-13, 05:26 PM
Question: Do we list which weapon we chose for our Commoner's free Simple Weapon Proficiency?

Some of the other players listed it as their class feature, which makes it easier on me to see, rather than figure it out by which weapon isn't the one with a nonproficiency penalty. Whichever way you want to do it to make it clear is fine.

Anyhow, what're the stats for a goat? A wartrained one ought to be pretty fierce on level 1 commoner standards?.

Hmm, no goat stats in the MM...

I vaguely recall there being a goat-like in Races of the Wild, so I'll perhaps base it off of one of those. This seems like a reasonable facsimile in the mean time: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/210373-goat-stats.html#post3850383

Sorry, I used the Hypertext SRD dice roller. Didn't know I had to use a thread here (not familiar with PbP games). My rolls were:

Strength: 4, 2, 6, 5=15
Dexterity: 2, 3, 3, 4=11 (switched with wisdom)
Constitution: 5, 5, 4, 1=14
Intelligence: 5, 3, 3, 4=12
Wisdom: 1, 2, 2, 3=7; reroll: 6, 6, 5, 3=17 (switched with dexterity)
Charisma: 6, 1, 6, 6=18

Those OK or should I reroll?
-Xavez

I'm not saying they have to be here, like Amphetryon did with his stats. I'm just asking to see the rolls to confirm what you rolled when I audit the sheet. If you can just link me to where you rolled, that's fine.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-13, 05:31 PM
I'm not saying they have to be here, like Amphetryon did with his stats. I'm just asking to see the rolls to confirm what you rolled when I audit the sheet. If you can just link me to where you rolled, that's fine.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I didn't think to save the url of my roll history on the SRD dice bag, but then again, who would? Are the rolls OK, or should I roll again?
-Xavez

Cieyrin
2010-05-13, 05:34 PM
Think to save the url of my roll history on the SRD dice bag, but then again, who would? Are the rolls OK, or should I roll again?
-Xavez

Nah, you can keep 'em. My only other question is that those rolls don't seem to match the ones on the sheet you linked. I haven't read it in depth yet, that's just my initial impression.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-13, 05:35 PM
Are web suppliments allowed? I'm thinking no, mainly because Wild Cohort would be a bit too powerful.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-13, 05:43 PM
Nah, you can keep 'em. My only other question is that those rolls don't seem to match the ones on the sheet you linked. I haven't read it in depth yet, that's just my initial impression.

I realized that I had put some rolls on the sheet wrong. Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206715) is the new link.
-Xavez

Cieyrin
2010-05-13, 05:53 PM
and I thought I only had 3 feats at level 1. one for flaw (born hero), one for human (able learner), and one for level 1 (hidden talent).

You have the one for 1st level, the one for being human, the one for a flaw and finally a free, no-strings attached one, as per the rules above. Call it a bone for being Commoners. =P

whoopsies. I'll fix that. and I got the pints of oil with the idea that they'd work similarly to a grease spell. I forgot that there's no RAW saying that it does actually do this; my DM always allowed it. I'll get rid of the oil if you do not allow it.

That's a very situational thing, as it'd only work on certain surfaces, as dumping oil on dirt does not make a slippery surface make. The other thing is, would your average commoner carry around oil expressly for creating a slipping hazard in his day to day occurrences? I'm thinking probably not.

Interesting... but this raises a question for you. Wouldn't this allow for a psychic warrior to know first level psion powers? ignoring hidden talent, wouldn't psychic adept allow me to grab some of the better 1st level psion powers before actually becoming a psychic warrior and keep them forever? I don't know if that'd be worthwhile at all, but it seems to warp the rules a bit and make psychic warriors have a bit more options.

ah but you choose your list when you go into Psychic Adept, do you not? To go in for the Psychic Warrior list, you meet the special requirements and that's the list you get access to, not the Psion/Wilder list.

Are web supplements allowed? I'm thinking no, mainly because Wild Cohort would be a bit too powerful.

It'd be on a case-by-case basis, as they're brought to me, given I'm allowing the Soulbound Weapon ACF. Wild Cohort can indeed get a bit silly, so it probably won't be available, unless I'm otherwise persuaded.

Anyways, on to the latest character critique!

Marrgo Deam Magic (Demon eye)
Your Intelligence score should be 15, not 14, according to your stat rolls.
Your deity is spelled Boccob.
The Quarterstaff attack bonus should be -1, not -2. I suspect you subtracted your strength mod from the melee bonus.
You're at Medium load, currently, which nets you a -3 ACP and 20' movement speed, just FYI. You may want to cut some things.
Your sheet claims you have 8 gp, though my calculations come out to 5 gp 9 sp and 1 cp. Trade good that stuff up, eh?

Flickerdart
2010-05-13, 06:25 PM
I did the swap (CHA was 10 originally). Free outfit is neat, I will go make the edit. However, carrying around bushels of wheat instead of coins is a bit odd and with a STR of 11, impractical. Maybe he will have many chickens.

Edit: A pound of tobacco, a goat, 5 chickens and 6cp in spare change is what I settled on.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-13, 06:28 PM
So, when are you going to audit my character? Or have you already done that?
-Xavez

The Glyphstone
2010-05-13, 06:31 PM
If there's still space, let's take a shot.

Base Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517031/
Free Re-roll (the Int 10) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517035/
Swap Dex and Wis.
Random Trait: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517043/

End profile - Str 12, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 15. I'm Quick though.

Extremely, extremely average...but I want to aim high. Specifically, Paladin high. With that as my goal, would you allow me a Heavy Horse as a Wild Cohort, which would eventually end up as my Special Mount?

Flickerdart
2010-05-13, 06:32 PM
You could always take Craft (Horse) to get one at 1/3 the price.

Cieyrin
2010-05-13, 06:34 PM
It's looking like I'll have 2 groups running around the same village perhaps, so there may be room yet. I'll finalize groupings tomorrow.

The audits are as currently posted. When I have more done, I'll post then.

As for carrying trade goods, you live in the starting village right now, so you don't have to carry all your worldly possessions around with you like some kind of adventurer. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-13, 06:35 PM
You could always take Craft (Horse) to get one at 1/3 the price.

as cool as Frankenhorse would be, I don't see it matching with a typical Paladin-wannabe.

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-13, 08:22 PM
Sorry about the stat mixup; I simply entered them in the wrong order by accident.

Got rid of the Caltrops and trade gooded most of my remaining wealth.

I don't know what else I'm going to list other than my wound points, since NPC classes don't get vitality points.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-13, 08:29 PM
Sorry about the stat mixup; I simply entered them in the wrong order by accident.

I don't know what else I'm going to list other than my wound points, since NPC classes don't get vitality points.

They don't?
-Xavez
EDIT: new sheet link here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206715)

Reynard
2010-05-13, 08:36 PM

Vitality points seem to be identical to hit points. Barbarians get 12 at first, roll a d12 when they level, Fighters get 10, roll a d10, etc.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-13, 08:37 PM
Vitality points seem to be identical to hit points. Barbarians get 12 at first, roll a d12 when they level, Fighters get 10, roll a d10, etc.

and we would get 4+Con bonus, right, then Con Score in wound points?

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-13, 08:43 PM
Vitality points are only granted by the “heroic” classes, such as the standard character classes and various prestige classes. The NPC classes—adept, aristocrat, commoner, expert and warrior—grant no vitality points (either at 1st level or thereafter). Such characters have wound points equal to their Constitution score.

This is what I'm basing that claim off of.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-14, 05:32 PM

I see.
-Xavez

Cieyrin
2010-05-14, 10:31 PM

Hmm, I must have missed that when I went with the system or I just glanced over it without noticing.

For our purposes, since you're PCs, you get Vitality points. You don't need to be that squishy, eh?

Also, damn, there's a lot of you Detached people. You all must be related or something (considering it's a thorp, that could very well be...) Also applying to Born Heroes. Born under some star or something...

Finally, by popular demand, Xavez's character audit!

Math error in your stats, for 3+3+4=10, not 11. Also, according Int should be 12, according to your rolls.
The thrown spear attack bonus should be +3, not +4 and the spear's damage bonus should be +2.
Diplomacy should have a +4 misc bonus, as you have +2 from being a Half Elf and +2 from Negotiator.
Starting gold seems to be 22 gp, which is more than commoner starting gold, so I'm not sure where you got that. I suppose it could be the adhoced ring throwing me off, as i used a signet ring. mayhaps i missed one in A&EG or some such...
Waterskins weigh should be 4 lbs, not 1.
Also, same on the caltrops as I mentioned to Claudius.

@The Glyphstone: That's kinda getting Super-Mounty with the Wild Special Mount, neh? Though, I'm not sure if you could choose a Wild Cohort as a Special Mount, as only the Devoted Tracker feat seems to let you get away with that, so I'm not sure, honestly.

For groupings, that'll have to wait till next week, as this has been quite the day for me and I doubt I'll have internet over the weekend, so I'll be back Monday or so.

The Rabbler
2010-05-15, 12:39 AM
Just to make sure I understand this correctly, we are not allowed to multiclass before we finish buying off our warrior/expert/adept levels, right?

EDIT: might as well throw out some less-relevant questions.

would you also allow the Mantled Warrior ACF (I ask because I like having options :smalltongue:)? it can be found right above the soulbound weapon ACF here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a).

can specific feats be allowed into the campaign if they're not from the allowed books? I don't want to destroy the campaign or anything; I just think that tashlatora might be fun to have around/available.

and what are your feelings on somewhat-obscure PrCs? I was looking at Ghostbreaker and it sounds like a lot of fun. possibly useless, but fun nevertheless.

EDIT2: It's from Hyperconscious. a Swords and Sorcery book. :smallfrown:. I guess that rules it out.

Amphetryon
2010-05-15, 05:48 AM
Just to make sure I understand this correctly, we are not allowed to multiclass before we finish buying off our warrior/expert/adept levels, right?

I'm only responding to this because I asked a similar question, which Cieryn answered as follows:

On multiclassing, I don't see an issue with people multiclassing, as some combinations they want on the tail end of multiclassing may require it, like Sorcadins needing Warrior/Bloodline Adept.

I think that means it's okay to multiclass Warrior/Expert/Adept etc. as needed for your concept.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 12:57 PM
Finally, by popular demand, Xavez's character audit!

Math error in your stats, for 3+3+4=10, not 11. Also, according Int should be 12, according to your rolls.
The thrown spear attack bonus should be +3, not +4 and the spear's damage bonus should be +2.
Diplomacy should have a +4 misc bonus, as you have +2 from being a Half Elf and +2 from Negotiator.
Starting gold seems to be 22 gp, which is more than commoner starting gold, so I'm not sure where you got that. I suppose it could be the adhoced ring throwing me off, as i used a signet ring. mayhaps i missed one in A&EG or some such...
Waterskins weigh should be 4 lbs, not 1.
Also, same on the caltrops as I mentioned to Claudius.

Fixed the stats.
Fixed the spear bonus, and damage is 1d8+3 (it's two-handed).
Got the diplomacy.
Ring was not purchased, has no effect, and is a family heirloom. Very important to Tharivol.
Got the waterskin.
Fixed the caltrops. Now a shovel!
New link here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206715)

The Rabbler
2010-05-15, 02:13 PM
I think that means it's okay to multiclass Warrior/Expert/Adept etc. as needed for your concept.

so, say, a fighter/rogue could go warrior/expert all the way then trade off the expert levels for rogue levels and the warrior levels for fighter levels?

that's something I was wondering, but that wasn't really my question (though now that I read it, it certainly looks like it was). I shouldn't have used the word multiclassing.

what I meant to ask was about whether or not we're allowed to take PrCs before we are finished trading off NPC levels. the rules are somewhat hazy on this.

example: Sir Bob Punchalot is a level 7 warrior and he wants to start trading his NPC levels away. he makes it all the way to level 8 and he is now a warrior 6/fighter 1 with one open level. can he use this new level to advance into a PrC, or must he wait until level 11 to pick up his level in warhulk?.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-15, 02:40 PM
@The Glyphstone: That's kinda getting Super-Mounty with the Wild Special Mount, neh? Though, I'm not sure if you could choose a Wild Cohort as a Special Mount, as only the Devoted Tracker feat seems to let you get away with that, so I'm not sure, honestly.

Actually, I hadn't been thinking about the Supermount, but having a Wild Cohort until I got Paladin 5, then letting it become my Special Mount and retraining Wild Cohort into something else.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 02:54 PM
Actually, I hadn't been thinking about the Supermount, but having a Wild Cohort until I got Paladin 5, then letting it become my Special Mount and retraining Wild Cohort into something else.

Read the rules link in the OP, you don't retrain feats/skill points.
-Xavez

The Rabbler
2010-05-15, 02:57 PM
Read the rules link in the OP, you don't retrain feats/skill points.
-Xavez

but you can if you spend some gold and XP and time. I don't remember where it's from, but you are allowed to retrain feats if you put the resources into it.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 03:00 PM
but you can if you spend some gold and XP and time. I don't remember where it's from, but you are allowed to retrain feats if you put the resources into it.

OK then. I probably won't retrain feats though.
-Xavez

Greenish
2010-05-15, 04:19 PM
but you can if you spend some gold and XP and time. I don't remember where it's from, but you are allowed to retrain feats if you put the resources into it.PHBII has character rebuilding guidelines, EPH has Psychic Reformation.

Flickerdart
2010-05-15, 04:22 PM
I would still like to clarify: are the classes listed (Essentially, SRD classes) the only ones we can take before 10th level?

Cieyrin
2010-05-17, 06:49 PM
Fixed the spear bonus, and damage is 1d8+3 (it's two-handed).

oh, duh. ><

Ring was not purchased, has no effect, and is a family heirloom. Very important to Tharivol.

plot item, gotcha. Tell me a bit more about it later, mayhaps?

Fixed the caltrops. Now a shovel!

By my calculations, you should have another silver piece available to you.

New link here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206715)

you don't need to link me each time, the link will update by itself. :smalltongue:

so, say, a fighter/rogue could go warrior/expert all the way then trade off the expert levels for rogue levels and the warrior levels for fighter levels?

That is exactly it.

what I meant to ask was about whether or not we're allowed to take PrCs before we are finished trading off NPC levels. the rules are somewhat hazy on this.

example: Sir Bob Punchalot is a level 7 warrior and he wants to start trading his NPC levels away. he makes it all the way to level 8 and he is now a warrior 6/fighter 1 with one open level. can he use this new level to advance into a PrC, or must he wait until level 11 to pick up his level in warhulk?.

Yes, PRCing will have to wait to 11th and beyond. You're already essentially PRCing from Commoner into higher classes as is. I figure that's enough.

would you also allow the Mantled Warrior ACF (I ask because I like having options :smalltongue:)? it can be found right above the soulbound weapon ACF here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a).

Mantled Warrior is probably fine, as Mantles aren't that bad, as far as I've seen them used.

can specific feats be allowed into the campaign if they're not from the allowed books? I don't want to destroy the campaign or anything; I just think that tashlatora might be fun to have around/available.

and what are your feelings on somewhat-obscure PrCs? I was looking at Ghostbreaker and it sounds like a lot of fun. possibly useless, but fun nevertheless.

EDIT2: It's from Hyperconscious. a Swords and Sorcery book. :smallfrown:. I guess that rules it out.

I'm open to suggestions on a case-by-case basis, as web enhancements are, though somewhat limited by I like having access to the actual material to see what it does. My collection is fairly expansive though not all encompassing.

Saying that, I don't have access to Secrets of Sarlona (the source of Tashalatora, I believe) or Hyperconscious, so probably not. Find me a legit link for 'em and I may reconsider.

That's feasible, though I'll have to read up a bit on 'em. The retraining may perhaps be questable, as I'm planning to link the retraining I already have to plot.

I would still like to clarify: are the classes listed (Essentially, SRD classes) the only ones we can take before 10th level?

More or less, though I may perhaps extend it a bit if you have a specific preference. I didn't want to be exhaustive in covering everything available in every source I made available. Plus, who has that kind of time, neh? Especially if I want to get this campaign going sooner, rather than later.

So, short answer: Yes, that's it, unless you make a special request and point me to said source, which is kinda my policy on such things. I'm flexible, as cool things being added is fine and dandy, as long we have the understanding that if you get to use it, so do I and vice versa. (not very short, in retrospect :smalltongue:)

Finally, I await the Glyphstone to produce his character, as it looks like that's all I'm getting. Also Reynard to finish his, as he hasn't seemed to have updated since he asked about VoP (which I answered last page or so by pointing out that the BoED isn't available and thus the Vows aren't). I think I can handle a group of 7 for this and I'm going to tentatively setup the start time for next Monday or so, which should be adequate time to get everything I need together or at least so I hope. In the mean time, character back story would be nice, as well as considering relationships from other characters, as thorps are fairly close-knit, meaning you could easily be siblings or travelers coming to the faire. Who knows, eh?

The Rabbler
2010-05-17, 07:32 PM
so we should use the remainder of this thread for backstories? sounds good.

Leorath is a quiet, aloof individual who has never really fit in with the culture in <insert thorp name here>. Due to his unusual appearance (he is a tall, lanky, muscular, albino man with shoulder-length white hair), he has been largely left alone by society.

He would probably have remained so had he not met Que'rahn. Que'rahn was a psionic elan who made her way to the town with her two companions to rest after an assault on a mind-flayer cult. During her recuperation period, Que'rahn met Leorath and helped Leorath realize his psionic gift. The two formed a deep friendship in the short two weeks that she remained in town and ever since then, Leorath has been longing to leave his home and find his place in the world.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-17, 07:42 PM
oh, duh. ><
Yup.

plot item, gotcha. Tell me a bit more about it later, mayhaps?
Will be in backstory.

By my calculations, you should have another silver piece available to you.
Fixed.

you don't need to link me each time, the link will update by itself. :smalltongue:
Gotcha. Won't post new links anymore.
-Xavez

Reynard
2010-05-17, 07:53 PM
Also Reynard to finish his, as he hasn't seemed to have updated since he asked about VoP (which I answered last page or so by pointing out that the BoED isn't available and thus the Vows aren't).

It's been done for a while now. All that I just changed was adding the weapon stats.

Cieyrin
2010-05-18, 01:45 PM
It's been done for a while now. All that I just changed was adding the weapon stats.

I checked after I wrote my last post and you indeed have filled in quite a bit. Still some things off, yet, as follows:

No Stat Switch seems to have occurred, though it could easily have been either the 13s or 16s.
You have 8 skill points left of your 16 allotted to you. On that, your profession is spelled 'Priest' (Little bit of a Grammar Nazi, am I :smalltongue:).
Waterskins cost 1 gp, not 2 gp, which means you have 1 more gp than your sheet otherwise indicates. I'm sorta assuming the coinage is basically alms or tithes from the populace, though you could trade good up some of that as well.

I'll be posting up a table shortly with all the characters, linked in one place so a) I don't have to dig around the thread looking and b) you also don't have to, if you want to link characters together, rather than have them built in storyline vacuum. :smallwink:

EDIT: Character table!

Party List
{table=head]|Player|Character|Rolls|Sheet|Back Story|Status|Born Hero?

1|Flickerdart|Feldwick|All Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8475278#post8475278) |Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206997)|On sheet :smallsmile:|Active & Complete|No

2|Amphetryon|Phetyr|All Rolls (http://invisiblecastle.com/search/?search=Phetyr)|Sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=37456)|On sheet :smallsmile:|Active & Complete|No

3|The Rabbler|Leorath|All Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8475333#post8475333)|Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=207037)|Backstory! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8512649&postcount=96) :smallsmile: (Also on sheet)|Active & Complete|Yes

4|Claudius Maximus|Phidias|All Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8473894#post8473894)|Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206958)|On Sheet :smallsmile:|Active & Complete|Yes

5|Demons Eye|Marrgo Deam Magic|All Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475909&postcount=9)|Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=207025)|(None Currently :smallfrown:)|Standby?|Yes

6|Reynard|Barry Davis|All Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8475251#post8475251)|Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206998)|On sheet :smallsmile:|Active and Complete|No

7|Darklord Xavez|Tharivol Nightbreeze|All Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8487378&postcount=64)|Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=206715)|On sheet :smallsmile:|Active and Complete|Yes

8|The Glyphstone|Aldren|All Rolls (http://invisiblecastle.com/search/?search=Commoner-TG)|Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=209584)|(None Currently :smallfrown:)|Active and Almost Complete|Yes[/table]

Hmm, maybe I will have 2 groups, as I apparently can't count the 8 of you about. Perhaps I will have to split you into separate groups, though I haven't seen some people who've submitted characters back in the thread of late, so perhaps I'll put those on Standby and stick with one group...

Finally of note is some characters are still not exactly completed or legal quite yet. Those are as follows:

The Rabbler:
You're still short a feat, unless you want to drop the flaw and call Born Hero your free Commoner feat.
Equipment change has put you at having 5 gp and 7 sp unspent, so you could either trade good it up or switch back to a morningstar and we'll ignore the difference of 3 sp.
Still no skill points spent. It's kinda that time to decide, as most of the others are pretty much set as-is.

Claudius Maximus
Looks right except for you have 1 more goat than you can afford. :smallwink:

Demons Eye
Nothing's changed since the initial audit, so I'm not sure whether you're actually still interested or not. :smallfrown:

Darklord Xavez
The only things I noticed off is that you could save a little space in your Special Ability section by putting Hero Points in the Action Point section, which is under the character stats section and you should probably decide whether you have a shovel or a hoe, as I don't think they can be both. :smalltongue:

That's all I have for now. Since I suddenly have some time tonight, I may put up a preview of the thorp of Meadowbrook and the faire that is currently going on at campaign start. :smallbiggrin:

The Rabbler
2010-05-18, 06:34 PM
updates to character:

-added 5 gp worth of useful adventuring items (my character bought them as soon as he decided he was going to leave the town)
-added Improved Initiative (as described in the Character Traits section)
-the remaining 7sp will represent the remainder of his life savings. for any eventuality.
-Spot, Listen, and Jump maxed out.

EDIT: after searching and searching, I was not able to find hyperconscious online. is there any way I could send you the PDF I have of it? never mind, It wouldn't fit the character.
could I instead send you secrets of sarlona? I feel like tashlatora would fit better than undead-slaying.

I (kinda) found tashlatora online: here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070212a&page=5)
and there was a thread, on this same forum, about it a few days ago: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8494286)

and if tashalatora were to be allowed, I wanted to know if chaos monk might also be allowed. it can be found on crystalkeep right next to the monk table. It seems like honing learning to use chaos would fit my character slightly better than discipline and monastic training.

also, I apologize for requesting so many variants/changes. I just really like having options.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-18, 07:15 PM
Got my backstory on my character sheet. Link to sheet is in my signature.
-Xavez

Reynard
2010-05-19, 03:40 PM
Backstory added to sheet. It's a bit Emo and agnostic, but that's what I'm going for for the early levels before he starts getting Divine Magic.

Cieyrin
2010-05-19, 06:10 PM
updates to character:

-added 5 gp worth of useful adventuring items (my character bought them as soon as he decided he was going to leave the town)

now you've overspent again, by 1 gp. :smallsigh: I'd advise dropping the grappling hook and we call it good and even.

-added Improved Initiative (as described in the Character Traits section)
-the remaining 7sp will represent the remainder of his life savings. for any eventuality.
-Spot, Listen, and Jump maxed out.

noted, though you have climb, not jump. :smalltongue:
I suppose you could be some kinda manual laborer or something with your skills but *shrug*

I (kinda) found tashlatora online: here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070212a&page=5)
and there was a thread, on this same forum, about it a few days ago: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8494286)

I'm semi-aware of what Tashalatora does, though a full description of it would be kinda nice, rather than the summary I've seen before, y'know? =/

and if tashalatora were to be allowed, I wanted to know if chaos monk might also be allowed. it can be found on crystalkeep right next to the monk table. It seems like honing learning to use chaos would fit my character slightly better than discipline and monastic training.

I'll have a look over Chaos Monk, as I have access to every Dragon ever printed, one way or another. It appears to be in Dragon #335, so I'll take a look when I get home. I may have an answer by tomorrow or Friday.

Got my backstory on my character sheet. Link to sheet is in my signature.
-Xavez

Backstory added to sheet. It's a bit Emo and agnostic, but that's what I'm going for for the early levels before he starts getting Divine Magic.

Noted and will be edited into the table shortly. Also, Reynard? I suggest moving the 2 ranks of Swim into buying a rank of Knowledge(Religion), so you actually have a method of priesting to the choir, rather than being limited to DC 10 checks of common knowledge. Just an observation. :smalltongue:

Reynard
2010-05-19, 06:17 PM
It's a cross-class skill, so yeah.

Actually, swapping INT and STR, because I think it'd make more sense for the character.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-19, 06:51 PM
I'll try to finish my character Thursday or Friday when I have free time. Also, I wasn't sure if you would accept me having a Heavy Horse wild cohort that ends up retraining transforming into my Paladin Special Mount.

Cieyrin
2010-05-19, 07:26 PM
It's a cross-class skill, so yeah.

Actually, swapping INT and STR, because I think it'd make more sense for the character.

Well yeah, it's cross-class, but it makes SENSE.

I'll try to finish my character Thursday or Friday when I have free time. Also, I wasn't sure if you would accept me having a Heavy Horse wild cohort that ends up retraining transforming into my Paladin Special Mount.

Yeah, I can deal with that, if you really want the special mount from level 1. Though the Heavy Horse will probably make an awesome meat shield. =P

The Rabbler
2010-05-19, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry for the mix-up.

finishing touches:

-removed all ranks of climb. put two in jump and two in profession(blacksmith).
-ditched the grappling hook
-added pink frilly edges*

The Glyphstone
2010-05-19, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I can deal with that, if you really want the special mount from level 1. Though the Heavy Horse will probably make an awesome meat shield. =P

It's more of a RP/Story thing, really - I like the idea of having a loyal horse from level 1 who ends up being blessed alongside me, instead of having a random superhorse spawn out of nowhere to be my new friend. Even if, or especially if, he happens to die before Paladin 5 - it's the same horse, now with an upgrade. :)

And...meat shield? Bah, he's going to carry our loot like any self-respecting packhorse would. Yes, I'm getting into the adventuring mindset early, why do you ask?

Cieyrin
2010-05-19, 08:00 PM
It's more of a RP/Story thing, really - I like the idea of having a loyal horse from level 1 who ends up being blessed alongside me, instead of having a random superhorse spawn out of nowhere to be my new friend. Even if, or especially if, he happens to die before Paladin 5 - it's the same horse, now with an upgrade. :)

And...meat shield? Bah, he's going to carry our loot like any self-respecting packhorse would. Yes, I'm getting into the adventuring mindset early, why do you ask?

Well, compare Heavy Horse stats to your average Commoner: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm#horseHeavy

They have like triple your HP. That screams meat shield to me, even if unintentionally. :smalltongue: Plus, it can crush things under their hooves, which is all the better, methinks, considering you'll want all the help you can get in surviving.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-19, 08:02 PM
Well, compare Heavy Horse stats to your average Commoner: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm#horseHeavy

They have like triple your HP. That screams meat shield to me, even if unintentionally. :smalltongue: Plus, it can crush things under their hooves, which is all the better, methinks, considering you'll want all the help you can get in surviving.

Hm. Okay, so he'll probably end up as a meatshield, regardless of why he's there in the first place. :) Pity Warhorse isn't on the list of first-level animal companions, though that would just get silly really. :)

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-19, 09:25 PM
Finally crombled together a backstory. It includes the same elan from The Rabbler's story. If Mr. The Rabbler takes issue with this, I will rewrite the backstory to accommodate his objections. Otherwise, I think we should figure out what the deal is with out characters. I guess they'd be fellow students, but what else? How well do they know each other? Do they get along?

Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat. I think my sheet should check out now.

Greenish
2010-05-19, 09:31 PM
Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.I'm going to steal that as a quote. Out of context. Mwahahaa! :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-05-19, 09:38 PM
The class I wanted was the Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) from Mind's Eye. I figure it can take the same path as Soulknife since it's, well, a psychic Rogue.
Backstory will be written one of these days.

Reynard
2010-05-19, 09:44 PM
Otherwise, I think we should figure out what the deal is with out characters. I guess they'd be fellow students, but what else? How well do they know each other? Do they get along?

In Barry's case, I'm going to say 'no' to both knowing each other well and getting along. He's an introverted, grieving, disillusioned, and borderline cynical trainee priest. And he barely knows the names of the people who actually go to Brother Martian's church, since he doesn't actually care about them.

Anybody got a character the worships Pelor?

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-19, 10:03 PM
I meant that mostly with regard to Phidias and Leorath (hence the "students" thing), but you're right that we should figure that out between all of our characters.

While Phidias isn't really particularly religious, he's is actually trained in Knowledge (Religion), so it doesn't seem unlikely that he would hang around the church(es) and talk to the clergy in search of interesting information/myths. Also they're about the same age in a town that can't have had all that many kids around. Even if Barry barely knows him and can't remember him, they've probably at least met.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-19, 10:04 PM
Well, when I finally get around to statting my would-be Paladin, he'll definitely be Religion-trained. I haven't picked a god yet though.

The Rabbler
2010-05-20, 12:25 AM
I have no objections to the use of the elan, Claudius Maximus. I expected my character to be fairly anti-social, but the opposite is just as welcome.

EDIT: after reading through backstories, it seems like our characters would get along fairly well. between reynard's knight in sour armor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightInSourArmor) (kinda) and claudius maximus' paranoid perfectionist, I believe we'd make a group of rather skeptical misfits. The exact kind of people who seem like they don't really belong in a traditional society; It makes perfect sense for us all to seek a life different than what we started with. and where our characters' personalities start to clash, there's darklord xavez's socialite to keep everyone working together smoothly.

all in all, I think we'd be able to come up with a solid social network and some strong background relationships. This will be a fun campaign.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT again:

with flickerdart making a psionic character as well, maybe there was something wrong with our village? psychics are supposed to be rare in the world and three just grew up in the same village. I smell a possible adventure seed.

last EDIT (I swear):

we might want to decide on a naming scheme... our names seem to be taken from just about all walks of fantasy. assuming, of course, that the rest of you aren't very attached to your character names. It's not a problem or anything, but it would make slightly more sense. then again, we could all have the fantasy equivalent of hippie parents who all wanted unique-as-the-prettiest-flower names :smalltongue:.

Reynard
2010-05-20, 12:32 PM
If you want to get Tropey about it, I'd say Barry is more of a Deadpan Snarker (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadpanSnarker)/Snark Knight (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSnarkKnight) with heavily tinted Jade Coloured Glasses (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JadeColoredGlasses) and a Dead Little Sister. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadLittleSister)

The Rabbler
2010-05-20, 05:51 PM
If you want to get Tropey about it, I'd say Barry is more of a Deadpan Snarker (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadpanSnarker)/Snark Knight (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSnarkKnight) with heavily tinted Jade Coloured Glasses (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JadeColoredGlasses) and a Dead Little Sister. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadLittleSister)

knight in sour armor is just what came to mind, I apologize.

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-20, 09:16 PM
EDIT: after reading through backstories, it seems like our characters would get along fairly well. between reynard's knight in sour armor (kinda) and claudius maximus' paranoid perfectionist, I believe we'd make a group of rather skeptical misfits. The exact kind of people who seem like they don't really belong in a traditional society; It makes perfect sense for us all to seek a life different than what we started with. and where our characters' personalities start to clash, there's darklord xavez's socialite to keep everyone working together smoothly.

all in all, I think we'd be able to come up with a solid social network and some strong background relationships. This will be a fun campaign.

Sounds good. I'll do my best to contribute.

Perhaps we can work out more about who knows whom, how well, and for how long.

Looks like most of these characters are relatively close in age. A town of this size isn't expected to have more than about 30 kids, tops, so we could have hung out together as kids and some of us might be friends with one another.

It looks like Phidias and Leorath were both students under Que'rahn, and apparently managed that without killing one another. They might be friends from this experience (or perhaps before) or they might be rivals of a sort.

Tharivol is "well-known" and in any case stands out on account of his works and the occupations of his parents, so we should all at least know who he is. Perhaps some of us have had experience with him, and he seems like the kind of guy who makes friends easily.

From what Reynard has posted, it seems Barry wouldn't know most people unless they were associated with his church to whatever extent. Nobody else seems to have posted a sheet with Pelor as the character's patron as of yet.

I can't comment much on the other characters as of now, but if Feldwick is psionic, maybe there can be some kind of link to one of the other psionic characters?

I hope I haven't offended anyone so far. Obviously the final say of any character's backstory goes to the respective player. I'm personally open to making some changes to my character's backstory for the sake of the others'.

we might want to decide on a naming scheme... our names seem to be taken from just about all walks of fantasy. assuming, of course, that the rest of you aren't very attached to your character names. It's not a problem or anything, but it would make slightly more sense. then again, we could all have the fantasy equivalent of hippie parents who all wanted unique-as-the-prettiest-flower names :smalltongue:.

Sorry about that; I wanted a name that said "sculptor guy", and "Phidias" was like the second thing to come to mind. Admittedly it does not fit in with names like "Barry Davis." I for one have no problem with the current diversity of names, but if people aren't comfortable with such disparate names and are willing to change them, I suggest naming to a theme so none of them seem too out of place. Perhaps we can choose a language, say it's the language of the thorp, and draw all our characters' names from it?

In that case I'll suggest Greek myself. :smallwink:

Reynard
2010-05-20, 09:36 PM
'Barry Davis' came as a a result of 2am, inability to sleep, and access to a database of names.

This one, to be precise. (http://www.behindthename.com/usage.php) That particular page lists a whole load of cultures to draw names from, so we could all decide on one or two of them and run with it.

The Rabbler
2010-05-20, 09:42 PM
quote #1

Sounds good. I'll do my best to contribute.

Perhaps we can work out more about who knows whom, how well, and for how long.

Looks like most of these characters are relatively close in age. A town of this size isn't expected to have more than about 30 kids, tops, so we could have hung out together as kids and some of us might be friends with one another.

It looks like Phidias and Leorath were both students under Que'rahn, and apparently managed that without killing one another. They might be friends from this experience (or perhaps before) or they might be rivals of a sort.

Tharivol is "well-known" and in any case stands out on account of his works and the occupations of his parents, so we should all at least know who he is. Perhaps some of us have had experience with him, and he seems like the kind of guy who makes friends easily.

From what Reynard has posted, it seems Barry wouldn't know most people unless they were associated with his church to whatever extent. Nobody else seems to have posted a sheet with Pelor as the character's patron as of yet.

I can't comment much on the other characters as of now, but if Feldwick is psionic, maybe there can be some kind of link to one of the other psionic characters?

quote #2

I hope I haven't offended anyone so far. Obviously the final say of any character's backstory goes to the respective player. I'm personally open to making some changes to my character's backstory for the sake of the others'.

quote #3

Sorry about that; I wanted a name that said "sculptor guy", and "Phidias" was like the second thing to come to mind. Admittedly it does not fit in with names like "Barry Davis." I for one have no problem with the current diversity of names, but if people aren't comfortable with such disparate names and are willing to change them, I suggest naming to a theme so none of them seem too out of place. Perhaps we can choose a language, say it's the language of the thorp, and draw all our characters' names from it?

In that case I'll suggest Greek myself. :smallwink:

response #1: It does seem that Leorath and Phidias would have a relationship through Que'rahn. Perhaps we became friends after we discovered that we had the same abilities. Maybe we practiced our psionic abilities together while out hunting? astral constructs and ectoplasmic webs seem like a pretty effective way to hunt.

As far as Barry is concerned, I could see Leorath and him getting along rather well. I probably neglected to mention this, but Leorath doesn't actually believe in the god Kord; rather, he respects individual strength and he worships a divine embodyment of that strength. kord was the best example.

response #2: all within your rights as a party member. no harm, no foul.

response #3: no problems by me, it was just an observation I was making. Personally, I picked my name out of thin air (something that would fit with a fantasy fighter) and would not mind changing it to make roleplaying easier. I don't feel strongly either way.

Cieyrin
2010-05-21, 02:49 PM
I'm going to steal that as a quote. Out of context. Mwahahaa! :smallbiggrin:

Wonderful, my campaign is already defined by our obsession with goats and I haven't even started yet...

As for naming schemes, you could also consider that some of you may have migrated into the area and that could explain some of the different names.

Also, hurray, more back story to integrate and not have to create myself for the cohesive whole! =D

EDIT: Also, Reynard, upon switching your stats around, you actually have another 4 skill points to spend, given the Commoner's 2+Int skill points, the Int 16 for +3 and being human meaning 6 x 4 = 24 and you only appear to have spent 20. Another skill is available for the learning and/or increasing the ranks you already have in your non-maxed ones.

The Rabbler
2010-05-21, 04:53 PM
I say we should add "with goats" to the end of the campaign name. to give a sense of who we really are to everyone who sees the thread.

Greenish
2010-05-21, 04:56 PM
Wonderful, my campaign is already defined by our obsession with goats and I haven't even started yet...Mwahahaa, behold my sign, ye mighty, and despair! (If you don't like it, I'll change it, no sweat.)

Reynard
2010-05-21, 05:10 PM
Names that mean 'goat':

Giles. m. From the Late Latin name Aegidius, which is derived from Greek αιγιδιον (aigidion) meaning "young goat".

Arwa. f. Means "mountain goat" in Arabic.

Azazel. m. Means "scapegoat" in Hebrew. This was the name of the recipient of a sacrificial goat in the Old Testament.

Jaala. m. Means "wild goat" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this was the name of a servant of Solomon.

Jael. f. From the Hebrew name יָעֵל (Ya'el) meaning "mountain goat"

Terah. m. Possibly means "wild goat" or "station" in Hebrew.

So, I vote Hebrew as the name theme, due to the amount of names in it that mean 'goat'

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-21, 05:27 PM
I say we should add "with goats" to the end of the campaign name. to give a sense of who we really are to everyone who sees the thread.

Goats? Did somebody say something about goats?
-Xavez

Amphetryon
2010-05-21, 05:47 PM
Mules > Goats. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-05-21, 05:51 PM
Mules > Goats. :smalltongue:In terms of mass, yes. In terms of comedic potential, not quite. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-05-21, 06:18 PM
Mule power represent!

Have my backstory up on the sheet. Feldwick's path in life has not been tied to the others for very long.

Thurbane
2010-05-21, 06:52 PM

Francis says hi! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUeo-dlEjL0&feature=related) :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-21, 11:06 PM
The important question is, will we stare at them?

Sheet is here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=209584

I don't have a backstory yet - though who in the groups are religion-related? My character is a farmer, but will be extremely devout, so he'd probably be good friends with the local clergy.

The Rabbler
2010-05-22, 12:58 AM
I don't have a backstory yet - though who in the groups are religion-related? My character is a farmer, but will be extremely devout, so he'd probably be good friends with the local clergy.

Barry Davis (Reynard's character) is a member of the clergy, but despises all who praise the glorious name of pelor.

EDIT: after reading Flickerdart's backstory, amazingly enough, there is a connection to the rest of the party. Leorath never had the patience for farmwork, so he worked with the town blacksmith to create tools and other metal necessities. Perhaps we met at work? We might have worked together, as your character has the skills for it while it comes naturally to mine.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-22, 06:15 AM
Barry Davis (Reynard's character) is a member of the clergy, but despises all who praise the glorious name of pelor.

EDIT: after reading Flickerdart's backstory, amazingly enough, there is a connection to the rest of the party. Leorath never had the patience for farmwork, so he worked with the town blacksmith to create tools and other metal necessities. Perhaps we met at work? We might have worked together, as your character has the skills for it while it comes naturally to mine.

Sure, why not. I'll probably pick a god other than Pelor, then.

Reynard
2010-05-22, 07:01 AM

Barry doesn't hate those that pray to Pelor, he just thinks they're fools if they think doing so will change anything for them prior to their death. Sure, the Gods can effect what happens after that, but they have nothing to do with what happens before. That's what he believes, at least.

Cieyrin
2010-05-22, 02:42 PM
If there's still space, let's take a shot.

Base Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517031/
Free Re-roll (the Int 10) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517035/
Swap Dex and Wis.
Random Trait: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517043/

End profile - Str 12, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 15. I'm Quick though.

Extremely, extremely average...but I want to aim high. Specifically, Paladin high. With that as my goal, would you allow me a Heavy Horse as a Wild Cohort, which would eventually end up as my Special Mount?

The important question is, will we stare at them?

Sheet is here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=209584

You're not exactly average. By adventurer standards, sure, but compared to the ordinary man, you're well-rounded with no real weaknesses to speak of.

Anyways, audit done. Most things check out, so that made my job easy. Some things still came to mind, though.

Inattentive has not been applied to Spot and Listen.
You should probably have a sack or something to carry your stuff in, as I don't think you can really stuff 3 days of rations and a waterskin in your pockets (provided you have any, as pockets aren't exactly common on peasant clothes), not to mention your companion doesn't have any saddle packs or anything.
Speaking of your companion, what tricks does Morrigan know? You have time pre-campaign to select your 6 tricks. I assume Morrigan probably has the Heavy Labor purpose, perhaps supplemented with the tricks from the Combat Riding purpose. Also note that Wild Cohorts and Animal Companions are not the same, especially as Wild Cohorts lack the Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#link) ability, so you'll have to Handle as a move and push as a full action, as normal.
Finally, don't forget that, since Morrigan doesn't have a saddle, you'll suffer the bareback riding penalty of -5 to Ride checks. It'll put your Ride bonus at an effective +0, just FYI.

Now, in relation to the requests for Chaos Monks and Psychic Rogues, Psychic Rogues seem fine to me, if you really want one over a Lurk or something similar. I don't really see where Chaos Monks would show up, so I'm saying no to that for the time being. Maybe if you meet a free spirit Githzerai Monk, whose developed his own style along such lines, adapting their current home plane of Limbo to his combat style.

Finally, since Demon Eye seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth, I guess I'll just go with you 7 and just run one game, as opposed to 2 groups of 4.

Flickerdart
2010-05-22, 04:13 PM
How does Wild Cohort work if your effective level is -2 for it? :smallconfused:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-22, 05:01 PM

I don't know, but why does it matter?

Inattentive has not been applied to Spot and Listen.

Fixed.

You should probably have a sack or something to carry your stuff in, as I don't think you can really stuff 3 days of rations and a waterskin in your pockets (provided you have any, as pockets aren't exactly common on peasant clothes), not to mention your companion doesn't have any saddle packs or anything.

Fixed.

Speaking of your companion, what tricks does Morrigan know? You have time pre-campaign to select your 6 tricks. I assume Morrigan probably has the Heavy Labor purpose, perhaps supplemented with the tricks from the Combat Riding purpose. Also note that Wild Cohorts and Animal Companions are not the same, especially as Wild Cohorts lack the Link ability, so you'll have to Handle as a move and push as a full action, as normal.

Finally, don't forget that, since Morrigan doesn't have a saddle, you'll suffer the bareback riding penalty of -5 to Ride checks. It'll put your Ride bonus at an effective +0, just FYI.

Where can I get a saddle?

Amphetryon
2010-05-22, 07:15 PM
Backstory added to the sheet.

Reynard
2010-05-22, 07:23 PM
Where can I get a saddle?

The PHB. Cheapest is a pack saddle, 5gp.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-22, 07:36 PM
The PHB. Cheapest is a pack saddle, 5gp.

Ugh. That'll mean I have to take apart my cow...and I liked having rolled enough wealth to own a cow...I guess I can settle for a couple of goats instead. :)

Reynard
2010-05-22, 07:50 PM
Well, with the pack saddle, you won't need saddlebags or a backpack.

Flickerdart
2010-05-22, 07:52 PM
But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-22, 08:02 PM
But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female. :smallbiggrin:

So I'm down to owning either a cow or a riding saddle...honestly, I think I'm going to keep the cow for now as starting 'wealth', it's a lot more useful than the saddle would be. I just won't ride the horse that often, it's probably more used to pulling a plow anyways.

Cieyrin
2010-05-23, 02:18 PM

Where are you getting Effective Level -2, anyways? I don't see anything suggesting that in Wild Cohort and I don't recall anything doing that in either the rules I made for this or in any of the language of the Commoner class.

Backstory added to the sheet.

Noted and edited into the table.

So I'm down to owning either a cow or a riding saddle...honestly, I think I'm going to keep the cow for now as starting 'wealth', it's a lot more useful than the saddle would be. I just won't ride the horse that often, it's probably more used to pulling a plow anyways.

Yeah, I'd just stick with the cow for now and you could probably makeshift saddle packs with some rope and sacks to sling over Morrigan till you earn a real saddle or 'acquire' one.

Reynard
2010-05-23, 02:20 PM
Where are you getting Effective Level -2, anyways? I don't see anything suggesting that in Wild Cohort and I don't recall anything doing that in either the rules I made for this or in any of the language of the Commoner class.

Don't your Cohorts need to be two levels below you?

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 02:26 PM
Don't your Cohorts need to be two levels below you?

Wild Cohort isn't actually a Cohort like Leadership. It's more like Animal Companion-lite. See here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) In my case, it's my loyal and long-suffering horse from my farm.
Which, incidentally, would have cost me 200GP to 'buy', so it's quite nice even if it won't contribute in combat much.

@Cieyrin: would you allow me to spend a trick slot on 'Trip' (though it'd be more of a 'Knock Down')? There's already existing tricks for Bull Rush, Disarm, and Overrun, so it's got some precendent at least.

Cieyrin
2010-05-23, 03:38 PM
Wild Cohort isn't actually a Cohort like Leadership. It's more like Animal Companion-lite. See here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) In my case, it's my loyal and long-suffering horse from my farm.
Which, incidentally, would have cost me 200GP to 'buy', so it's quite nice even if it won't contribute in combat much.

Oh, here's where our confusion is stemming from...Yeah, Wild Cohort != Cohort as per Leadership.

You may also want to put where you met your boon companion in your backstory, considering how expensive Heavy Horses are would put them way outside normal Commoner availability. =P
Perhaps you work for the church and Morrigan will only work with you, hence Wild Cohort?

@Cieyrin: would you allow me to spend a trick slot on 'Trip' (though it'd be more of a 'Knock Down')? There's already existing tricks for Bull Rush, Disarm, and Overrun, so it's got some precendent at least.

I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been a trick made for that, actually, as taking down prey seems like something you could build on, though I suppose their thought on it may have been the Hold trick. You could definitely make a Take Down trick, but, like the other advanced Attack tricks, you need to have the Attack trick first.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 04:00 PM
Naturally. I'm going with Come, Work (the Heavy Labor package), along with Defend, Assist Defend, Attack, and now Trip. 6 total tricks.

That is a good point, though I think it says more about how D&D's listed prices for things are totally borked than how rare a farmhorse should be.

Howbout I was raised in a church run creche/orphanage that doubled as a communal farm, and proved exceptional at working with animals. When I reached adulthood and left to start my own farm, I left with a young horse from the church's farmstock - maybe one I had raised myself - who has since matured into my current companion.

Also, why are we having this conversation in secret text?

The Rabbler
2010-05-23, 04:06 PM
I like the mental image I get when I try and picture a horse tripping someone.

wait, maybe the horse trips with it's tail? this would make a tail whip actually useful!

Cieyrin
2010-05-23, 04:08 PM
That is a good point, though I think it says more about how D&D's listed prices for things are totally borked than how rare a farmhorse should be.

Howbout I was raised in a church run creche/orphanage that doubled as a communal farm, and proved exceptional at working with animals. When I reached adulthood and left to start my own farm, I left with a young horse from the church's farmstock - maybe one I had raised myself - who has since matured into my current companion.

Also, why are we having this conversation in secret text?

*shrug*

word

Cieyrin
2010-05-24, 07:31 PM
OOC thread is officially open! Go and join so I can take count before officially kicking things off! Link! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8557445#post8557445)