PDA

View Full Version : Feat for a 3rd level druid?

faceroll
2010-05-08, 06:42 PM
Party level ~3
Probably won't get beyond 6th level.
Current feats:
Natural Bond, Ashbound, Wild Cohort

Current party make up:
Bow-focused ranger 3
Rogue2/cloistered cleric 1
Fighter3
Wizard1 (doesn't always show up)
Druid3 (me)

Build:
Strength, dex, and con are all low, have 22 wisdom, 16+ charisma & intelligence. Small size (gnome variant). Stays in back and uses two warbred riding dogs to handle melee. Do huge amounts of damage, have as much AC & HP as the fighter, trip is awesome, etc. etc. Prepares mostly lesser vigor or summons wolves.

Campaign:
Downtime is uncertain. It is a horror campaign. No ye olde magik shoppes. Most combats and environments are dungeon crawls. Combats can be quite difficult.

Ideally there'd be a way for me to get bardic music, as our party is mostly Guys That Hit Things, and it will be awhile before I get wildshape. Greenbound summoning not available.

Any suggestions?

randomhero00
2010-05-08, 06:48 PM
if you're only going to 6 and you can retrain (probably not so just sayin...) VoP is good for that level range (it sucks later though.)

Otherwise feat progression for druids goes like this:
natural spell
who cares?
who cares?
who cares? I'm a druid; I'll bite your face off while casting

:D

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-08, 06:50 PM
Current feats:
Natural Bond, Ashbound, Wild Cohort
Sorry to derail, but why would a single-class Druid have use of Natural Bond?

faceroll
2010-05-08, 06:57 PM
if you're only going to 6 and you can retrain (probably not so just sayin...) VoP is good for that level range (it sucks later though.)

Otherwise feat progression for druids goes like this:
natural spell
who cares?
who cares?
who cares? I'm a druid; I'll bite your face off while casting

:D

Gotta have wildshape to take natural spell. VoP means no armor for my pets. A bison in full plate has 23 AC at level 4. That's pretty good. And we're currently in the process of looting an entire town that fell to the zombie plague. I'd rather have sweet trinkets for my pets.

Sorry to derail, but why would a single-class Druid have use of Natural Bond?

Shennanigans, mostly. When I get my auruch animal companion at level 4, I can treat my druid level as 4 instead of 1 for bonus HD, tricks, etc.

Greenish
2010-05-08, 06:58 PM
Sorry to derail, but why would a single-class Druid have use of Natural Bond?I guess his DM allows it to give him alternative animal companion at his full druid level.

[Edit]: You probably don't qualify for Dragonic Auras, do you?

Gnaeus
2010-05-08, 06:59 PM
Craft Wondrous Items (because magic shops aren't available, and there are 100 cheap items you can craft to fill empty slots, and you will want wildling clasps at 5)

Companion Spellbond (Stay in back of party and share bite of the were X buffs with pet).

Fiery Burst (Blast for 2d6 (ref half) forever).

Protection Devotion (+2 or +3 AC to all allies in 30 feat is almost as good as low level bardic music)

Seatbelt
2010-05-08, 07:00 PM
Gotta have wildshape to take natural spell. VoP means no armor for my pets. A bison in full plate has 23 AC at level 4. That's pretty good. And we're currently in the process of looting an entire town that fell to the zombie plague. I'd rather have sweet trinkets for my pets.

Shennanigans, mostly. When I get my auruch animal companion at level 4, I can treat my druid level as 4 instead of 1 for bonus HD, tricks, etc.

While not being an expert on shennanigans, I don't think it works that way.

Greenish
2010-05-08, 07:04 PM
While not being an expert on shennanigans, I don't think it works that way.Well, since you get to apply effects on the most beneficial order for you, it could. Selecting an alternative animal companion from the next list sets your druid level for the companion to (your current druid level) -3, then Natural Bond brings it up by three levels, giving you your current druid level as the effective druid level for your pet. The feat specifies that you can't go over your ECL with this, but that condition is fulfilled.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-08, 07:17 PM
While not being an expert on shennanigans, I don't think it works that way.

It's pretty ambiguous. I'd say it's up to DMs, and I love using it (although I'm not so sure I'd allow it myself :smalltongue:).

Prodan
2010-05-08, 07:20 PM
Skill Focus: Basket Weaving.

senrath
2010-05-08, 07:22 PM
Pity on no greenbound. But seriously, pick up Natural Spell.

Greenish
2010-05-08, 07:25 PM
Pity on no greenbound. But seriously, pick up Natural Spell.At level 3, he can't.

senrath
2010-05-08, 07:29 PM
Ah. I haven't played a Druid in a long time, so I forgot that you can't get Natural Spell ahead of time.

Pluto
2010-05-08, 07:49 PM
It's hard to go wrong with Companion Spellbond, Quick Reconnoiter, Improved Initiative or Craft Wondrous Item.