PDA

View Full Version : The Marshlands - IC

Lycan 01
2010-05-08, 08:30 PM
The Marshlands

While travelling for reasons known only to yourself, you find yourself entering a marshland. The paved roads become rocky dirt paths, the ground goes from mostly grassy to mostly swampy, and the trees become more grnarled and mossy the further you go. You realize that it will not be long before the sun begins to set, and with evening approaching it may be a good idea to stop for the day. Lucky for you, signs along the road point you in the direction of a traveller's camp.

Sure enough, further up the dirt path there is a small grassy field, where several tents and campfires have been set up. A few barricades have been built around the edges of the camp, with torches places along the border to cast illumination over the surrounding areas. There are also a handful of ragtag guards, stationed more-so to scare away bandits than serve any real defensive purposes.

The camp itself contains several tents currently in use, and a few for rent. Most of them are occupied by simple travellers, though the bloody rags and muddy boots outside a few indicate the occassional wandering adventurer. In the center of the camp there is a large campfire, around which several people are standing. There's also a man sitting next to a large chest and several small crates nearby.

Evening is approaching fast. Leaving without a good reason is probably not a good idea. Perhaps you should ask around, and see if you can find anyone of interest?

---

Notable NPCs:
Sven - A small middle-aged human with tattered, muddy clothes sitting by the campfire.
Lydia - A white-haired Eladrin in flowing purple robes standing near the fire, staring into the swirling flames.
Rolph - The well-dressed and shifty eyed half-elf sitting by the chest and crates.

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-08, 09:09 PM
Xavros Vrockwing strolls into the camp. He is tired and has been on the run for the past few weeks, ever since his "friend" and second in command, ran him out of their gang and sent his former followers after him. Xavros had come into the gang and made money by making the members into sell swords. He trained a few to be leaders and how to fight, and told them to teach the rest. It had been a bit too efficient... And now it seemed Xavros wasn't needed. He walked toward Sevn and begain to speak.

"Hi there. Mine if I join you? Im not sure whose in charge here..."

Lycan 01
2010-05-08, 10:29 PM
"No one's really in charge..." the man mutters, scooting to the side so that Xavros will have room to sit on the log beside him. Middle-aged and bald, the man's tired eyes and exhausted features show that he's tired, and likely hasn't had a good rest in a long time. "The name's Sven. I was travelling to Skyreach when I got lost in this accursed swamp. I spent most of the day trying to avoid the creatures lurking out there... But now I'm safe..." he sighs, before adding with a grin, "Or at least as safe as I can be right now. Heh heh heh..." he chuckles.

Sven looks over Xavros, before shrugging. "You look like someone who can take care of themself. Most of the people here are just peasants and travellers, with the occasional merchant or adventurer mixed in. This place is a stopping point and rest area for many of them. We've got a few merchants, though nothing major. The Eladrin over there works with magic, and the weasel in the corner deals with equipment and goods..." he explains.

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-08, 11:05 PM
Xavros takes a seat and waits til the older man is done; he then puts his hand out and says I am Xavros, its a pleasure. And thank you, I can take care of myself. But ummm... the half-elf there... He does look unworthy of trust, but why do you say so of him?

Lycan 01
2010-05-08, 11:28 PM
"Pfft..." Sven huffs, rolling his eyes. "He's just a scoundrel. Rolph claims to be an honest merchant, but he runs so many scams, its amazing none of his customers haven't tried to take a refund out of his hide. He's got a bit of a "fair trade" thing going right now. Adventurers who bring in gear and loot they find out in the marshes can trade it to him in exchange for money or items of equal or lesser value. The trades aren't very fair though. It mostly depends on what mood he's in, how much he likes you, and the rarity of an item. I've seen him swindle honest heroes out of great gear in exchange for junk. But I've also seen him bend over backwards to get a fancy trinket some lucky explorer tripped over, just because it seemed rare and important... So yeah. Be careful when doing business with him..." Sven nods, his eyes narrowed.

In the flickering light of the fire, Rolph seems to be smirking over at his "store" of sorts, almost as if he knows what's being said.

PanzerFox
2010-05-08, 11:38 PM
As Aluatra Woodsheart walks into the campsite she squints her eyes against the light of the fire and notices a Tiefling sitting next to a weary looking Human at the campfire along with a beautiful Eladrin staring into the vibrant flames. Alu starts to wander aimlessly around the camp secretly scouting it out for easy exits and vantage points. Not long after finding the best spots and exits Alu goes and sits cross legged near the Eladrin and glances through the fire at the seedy Half-Elf merchant, the Human, and Tiefling as the latter two talk softly to themselves about the grounds and the merchant.

Lycan 01
2010-05-08, 11:55 PM
There are two main entrances an exits. The barricades around the encampment have two gaps - one opening onto the road, and another opening onto the marshes on the opposite side. The barricades themselves are mostly made from crates, fallen trees, over-turned tables, and the occassional broken wagon. In a pinch, they could easily be knocked down to make a quick escape - or launch an attack.

The Eladrin doesn't look away from the fire, but after a few seconds she speaks, her voice soft yet stern, powerful yet not prideful. "Its not much. This camp was originally just a stopping point for merchants to avoid roaming highwaymen. Over the years, it slowly developed into a resting area for weary travellers and wandering adventurers. Its been a slow progress, though, and it has very little in the way of defenses and protection. But it keeps the bandits away, and the creatures that lurk in the swamps keep to themselves. Only those who wander out there and stumble onto their hunting grounds are at risk. Or at least, that's how it was until recently..." the Eladrin muses, almost as though talking to herself just as much as to Aluatra.

PanzerFox
2010-05-09, 12:07 AM
Listening to the Eladrin as she speaks Alu glances around the encampment her eyes trying to peer into the darkness of the marsh. Without looking at the Eladrin Alu says,

So, you all've been having trouble I'll guess? Anything I can do to help so that I may maybe get a nice rent-a-tent for a discount?

As Alu says the last part she chuckles and looks at the Eladrin for any sign of emotion on her face.

Lycan 01
2010-05-09, 12:19 AM
A soft smirk of amusement flickers across her features, and for a brief moment she closes her silvery eyes. She then returns her gaze to the fire and returns: "Your humor is refreshing. The majority of the people who pass through here either lack social skills, or have lost the ability to use them through lack of energy or willpower. At any rate..." she muses, closing her eyes in thought. "Recently there's been a bit of a... spike... in trouble around here. Creatures attacking travellers on the road, adventurers running into more challenge than usual, hunters not returning from their search for quary... We've also lost contact with some of the settlers around these parts. It may be nothing serious, but all things considered..." her voice trails off.

PanzerFox
2010-05-09, 12:40 AM
Alu grins and ponders for a moment to herself. Then gets up and makes two small fists as she grins widely.

Hmm, well I'm sure there's gonna be rewards for finding out what's going on...along with loot from monster mashing. I'm in. Know of any brave hearted or greedy souls willing to lend aid?

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-09, 12:40 AM
"So.... If I wanted to supply myself... He'd be the guy to... "buy" from..." Xavros takes care to put a special emphasis on the buy and watches the older man closely.

Dont know if I need to but it cant hurt
Perception
[roll0]

Insight
[roll1]

Lycan 01
2010-05-09, 12:53 AM
Xavros is momentarily distracted by the hyper halfling, but he can tell the older guy is telling the truth.

"As far as monster mashing goes..." the Eladrin speaks up, "There will probably be a few roaming packs of scavengers and hunters, perhaps wolves and dire rats. Don't be surprised if you come across any fallen adventurers or unlucky travellers. There's an old cave a bit further South from here... I'm not sure if you should head there along, though. The last few adventurers to head out that way haven't returned. And considering they've been gone for days, I doubt they will be doing so any time soon..." she frowns grimly. "As for brave hearts and greedy souls, just looks around. I'm sure you'll find somebody..."

As an afterthought, she adds: "And by the way, my name is Lydia. I deal in magical items, potions, and rituals. Check with me later, and I'll see about giving you a discount, depending on what you manage to accomplish..."

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-09, 12:57 AM
Xavros glances at the Halfling, and proceeds toward Rolph while keeping one eye on her.

"Hello there. Its your lucky day. You do not get to sell me weopans, armor, or anything in fact. Nor do you get to but anything from me! No, but it is your lucky day all the same. Today you meet Xavros Vrocking, and you and I... Were going to be fast friends"

Lycan 01
2010-05-09, 01:06 AM
Rolph is a small weasel of a man clad in a fine hooded cloak of a dark-blue hue. Short, gaunt, and pale, with close-cut black hair, piercing blue eyes, and sharp features. He looks up at you, and arches a dark eyebrow before saying: "And what makes you think that?"

PanzerFox
2010-05-09, 01:07 AM
Alu sticks out her hand saying, "I'm Alu. And I look forward to dealing with you later. Thanks for all of the knowledge. I'll see what I can scrounge up around here and get rid of all this "muck" that surrounds this little outpost."

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-09, 01:23 AM
"Because, I know a good business man when I see one and good business men know opportunities. I know your seen as a thief to some, like that older man by the fire. The truth is......" Xavros pauses.... and glances up then looking back down with a pitiful look on his black face... Their jealous. Jealous of your success. Just like some are jealous of my mind, so they attempt to verbally abuse me about the way I look. But, thats not important. What is important is my proposition... Were going into business together. If you dont mind a scary monster hanging around.

Xavros smiles a grin and looked directly into the Half-elf's piercing blue eyes with his silver orbs.

Lycan 01
2010-05-09, 01:34 AM
The half-elf stares back at Xavros, unflinching. He then replies with a simple "No," and goes back to his casual people-watching, completely acting as though the Tiefling isn't even there or in existance.

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-09, 01:39 AM
Xavros had begun to open his mouth to make his proposition as he is told no. He stands there, a bit stunned at this beings audacity. He heads back toward the fire, disappointed and a tad confused.

Reynard
2010-05-09, 12:00 PM
Jope spends a moment checking his equipment, scratches his beard, then walks over to the campfire. Taking a seat next to the scraggly human, he rearranges himself into a comfortable position, the tries to strike up a conversation with the other travelers around the fire.

"So.... What's been going on around here?"

PanzerFox
2010-05-09, 04:30 PM
Glancing at the Shifter Alu glances over him and says,

"Well, not much really other than an odd spike in the danger around these parts and I was aiming to help out, for a fee of course. I'm looking for strong adventures willing to help these poor beings out and earn a little coin on the side. Mayhaps you're interested?"

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-09, 05:03 PM
Xavros hears the conversation as he approaches the fire.

"Id be interested. Fee or not. Theirs always valuables to be found when danger is involved."

Lycan 01
2010-05-09, 05:19 PM
"Did I hear someone say valuables?" Rolph suddenly asks from his perch. Sitting up from the chest he's been using as a seat, the half-elf grins and says, "If you folks manage to find anything of interest, bring it by here and I'll offer you a deal. Even if its something you don't need, like an old sword or battered armor, I'll give you a few coins for it. I'll be willing to pay more or trade for the fancier stuff, though. And if you need new weapons or gear, I'm the guy to ask!" he proclaims, opening the top of a crate beside him to reveal several shiney new weapons and pieces of armor.

"And if you need potions, magical items, or need a magical item identified, I'm more than willing to offer my services," Lydia remarks, before adding with a smirk, "For a price, of course."

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-09, 05:51 PM
Xavros just shakes his head and looks back toward the other strangers to this place.

Phiktional
2010-05-10, 09:25 PM
Tinark emerged from his tent, the loud mouth of a half-elf had woken him. He was completly dressed in his armor and weapons. He wasn't going to leave until the morning, but the reports coming in said that this place wasn't safe. Not even in the camp. He sat down in front of the fire, near the same half-elf who was still running off at the mouth.

Trying to rip someone off no doubt. He thought to himself. He began to look around the camp from where he sat, checking the new comers. Sizing them up. Maybe he could find another adventurer or two headed in the same direction as him.

PanzerFox
2010-05-10, 10:46 PM
So anyone else willing to join myself and this creepy Tiefling to find our little camp menace?

Alu glances pointedly at the large battle-ready Dragonborn and the Shifter lounging near the campfire.

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-10, 11:00 PM
Xavros widens his eyes to show off his silver orbs to the Half-ling and grins. However, with his appearance, it looks more than slightly demonic.

"Yes, let us head off to end the troubles that plague this place! I rather dislike sitting around."

In his mind Xavros muses Especially when my "men" wish to "find" me.

PanzerFox
2010-05-10, 11:03 PM
Alu grins roguishly back unflinchingly at Xavros and says, "I agree, the marshes beckon for my help..

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-10, 11:14 PM
Xavros stretches his whole body, even stretching his tail out. He then yawns, as is his habit after a stretch. As he adjusts his armor back into the right posistion, he heads toward the southern exit.

"Now, you said to head this-a-way, right?" Looking at the Eladrin as he walks."Because, if not, I am about to look quite foolish.

As soon as he get the affirmative Xavros is headed out

PanzerFox
2010-05-10, 11:21 PM
Alu grabs her little pack (compared to everyone else it's it tiny but to her it is large :smallbiggrin:) and follows after the large black Tiefling humming a little tune along the rhythm of "Great High Mountain" ([OOC] from the movie Cold Mountain)

Aluatra Woodsheart is ready to head out! :smalltongue:

Phiktional
2010-05-10, 11:33 PM
Tinark shrugs his shoulders, he was looking for some adventuring companions after all. Getting an invite to go along means he can bypass all the pleasantries and get down to business.

I will go with you. If nothing else, there is safety in numbers.

PanzerFox
2010-05-10, 11:47 PM
Alu beckons Tinark to follow and says, "Sounds great! Lets go. I'm Alu by the way. This black monster going ahead of me is...well I don't know his name. Who are you?"

Lycan 01
2010-05-11, 12:04 AM
Into the Swamp

And so the party of four adventurers, for various reasons, heads off into the swampy marshland, just as the sun is beginning to set. With evening rapidly approaching, visibility begins to drop. It also doesn't help that there's a light fog beginning to form over the muddy earth around you. However, there is a relatively dry path that snakes its way through the mire, and worn footprints and downtrodden plantlife indicate that it is a path often travelled by humans and animals alike. Its quite. Almost... too quiet.

After a few minutes of travelling down the path, a scream suddenly splits the silence of the foggy darkness surrounding the swampy road. It echoes into the night, and then... only silence.

Perception tests to get an idea of where the scream came from, otherwise anyone who runs off the path runs the risk of going in a random direction. Torches or other sources of light might be a good idea, otherwise you may take a penalty from limited vision in the growing dark.

Of course, you don't have to go after the scream. You can stay on the path. Or just go in a random direction. Or split up. Your call... :smallwink:

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-11, 12:08 AM
Xavros is silent for a second. He then replies, using snarling as he pronounces his first word. "Monsters have no need of names. Or souls for that matter.
He continues walking, never looking back. After waiting a few seconds, long enough to make it uncomfortable, but short enough so that no one else can think of a response, he continues.
I suppose it is fortunate for me then, as I have one. Xavros Vrockwing, at your service! He then laughs, both vigorously and loud, his tail twitching back and forth as he does.

As he hears the scream, Xavros pauses, trying to tell from hence it comes.

1d20

Xavros pulls out his sunrod

PanzerFox
2010-05-11, 12:11 AM
Blinks at Xavros for a moment then keeps walking.

PanzerFox
2010-05-11, 12:21 AM
[roll0] Perception Check on the where the sound comes from.

Lycan 01
2010-05-11, 01:14 AM
Alu has a pretty good idea of where the scream came from. If she ran into the fog, she could probably get there within a minute of trudging through the mud and fog.

Xavros can't pick out the exact source from the echoes. But his sunrod illuminates the area around him, casting a warm glow over himself and turning the fog around him into an orange haze.

PanzerFox
2010-05-11, 01:18 AM
"Hey! Xav follow me with your sunrod! I know where the scream came from, we can't just leave some being out there to die. I'm sure they'll have something to give us in return or if theres monsters we can easily get some loot off of them! And there may be signs of whats been plaguing the encampment."

Alu points where the sound came from and waits for the others to follow before stepping farther in the direction of the scream.

ImmortalLiam
2010-05-11, 01:37 AM
Xavros sighs,Maybe you had better follow me. You look... Well not quite as durable as us souless monsters. Just point me in the right direction." Xavros heads forward, waiting for Aluatra's guidance.

PanzerFox
2010-05-11, 01:53 AM
Alu glares a moment at Xavros then points him in the right direction and follows after him mumbling under her breath about being so "undurable"

Phiktional
2010-05-12, 09:43 PM
Tinark readies his Warhammer in one hand and his shield in the other. He couldn't determine where the scream came from, but Alu seemed pretty confident that she did. As he follows Tinark prepares himself, anything could happen. He silently says a prayer to his god, Bahamut, asking for strength and courage.