PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Athelete's Foot products?

13_CBS
2010-05-09, 01:32 AM
I seem to have a minor case of it (probably due to the filthy, filthy college dorm showers :smallannoyed:), so I was wondering what sort of treatment products the good folks in the Playground would recommend for me. FYI, I live in the US.

Pheehelm
2010-05-09, 01:52 AM
Dunno about treatment, but shower shoes (basically flip-flops that sell for a dollar) are excellent preventive maintenance and why don't you already have a pair.

13_CBS
2010-05-09, 01:57 AM
Dunno about treatment, but shower shoes (basically flip-flops that sell for a dollar) are excellent preventive maintenance and why don't you already have a pair.

I actually already use shower shoes, and always have, but...still got athelete's foot, it seems.

Kneenibble
2010-05-09, 02:42 AM
Fresh warm urine, and plenty of it.

13_CBS
2010-05-09, 02:52 AM
Fresh warm urine, and plenty of it.

I...

...seriously? :smallfrown:

Saveducks
2010-05-09, 03:20 AM
I...

...seriously? :smallfrown:

wait... is he serious?
I NEED TO KNOW!!!:smallfurious:

Tirian
2010-05-09, 07:03 AM
wait... is he serious?
I NEED TO KNOW!!!:smallfurious:

He's serious, but he's wrong.

Crimmy
2010-05-09, 07:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL25WYWvKns&feature=PlayList&p=8F40B94C906FA4E3&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Minute 3:50...

You'll find your remedy there...

He's serious, but he's wrong.

If a spanish-speaking comedian says it's his father's remedy, it can't be wrong. (not)

-------------------------------------

Now, in all seriousness, try some talcum powder in your sport shoes and/or your slippers.

I dunno if there's something similar in there, but in here, we use a product called Ting. It's a fungus and athlete's foot treatment... I mean, to remove it.
It's like a tube of toothpaste. Lemme search a bit, and I'll tell you what the active ingredient it uses.

Anyway, you're supposed to give yourself a nice little wash of your feet, and the you apply said stuff. You keep using it for a week or so, and it should work. (It does for me, but I've heard of cases in which it takes longer)

Also, make sure you keep wearing your flip flops at the shower.

Faulty
2010-05-09, 08:10 PM
Go to a pharmacy, ask the pharmacist what the best anti-athlete's foot spray is, buy it, apply it regularly as per the instructions, and voila. That's what I did.

Pyrian
2010-05-09, 10:53 PM
I've had reasonable luck with Lotramin, but the most important thing is to let the foot dry out. That means staying out of footwear as much as possible, and changing your footwear at least once a day, and not wearing the same shoes two days in a row. (Yes, that means four pairs of shoes, minimum.) Basically, if you're wearing the same shoes all day every day, it's going to be very difficult to get rid of.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-10, 12:43 AM
I hear hanging out in oak trees can help.
However, though it will cure your athletes foot, it might give you mistletoe.
Yes, I am joking, how could you tell?

Seffbasilisk
2010-05-10, 12:52 AM
I tried the vietnam remedy of pissing on my feet when I had it myself. Didn't do much.

Then I doused it in rubbing alcohol, with my feet in the tub.

Then lit them on fire.

Rinse and repeat.

After about a week of doing that, say 2-3 times a night, it went away, and hasn't returned. That was more'n a year ago.

thubby
2010-05-10, 02:28 AM
anything with a high acidity will work if you soak regularly and clean everything your feet spend time in.
lemon juice and water
vinegar
etc.

clean your tub with... i want to say baking soda, but it could be baking powder, i always get the 2 confused.

Tirian
2010-05-10, 03:21 AM
If a spanish-speaking comedian says it's his father's remedy, it can't be wrong.

As Cecil Adams (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2700/can-urinating-on-your-feet-in-the-shower-cure-athletes-foot) suggests, "[... T]he most reputable scientific proponent of pee as a cure for athlete's foot is Madonna (Letterman show, 1994). After that you start getting into some serious flakes."