PDA

View Full Version : The A-Team (IC)

Fortuna
2010-05-09, 03:47 AM
In 19721372, a crack commandoadventuring unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los AngelesHallnos underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the A-Team.

*Cue theme tune.*

In the metropolis of Hallnos, it is said that someone is always watching. Whether they do anything about it or not is another question, but for the dwarf standing outside the inn the answer had been 'No'. So far.

His eyes glazed for a moment as he thought back to the five men who had prompted his decision, the ones who had begun extracting 'life tax' from his mine some weeks ago. Looking around, he wondered for the umpteenth time why the trail to the A-Team had to be so arduous. He had been told to wait here until dawn, and by his judgment that couldn't be more than a few hours away. Perhaps the whole thing was really just an elaborate scam.

I've given you a client, and skipped most of the screening, but I'm going to ask one of you guys (don't care which) to decide how you will reveal yourselves. You've got a lot of license for adjusting the environment for this scene, so go for your lives.

cssmythe3
2010-05-09, 07:46 AM
A group of four robed pilgrims were across the street, quietly worshiping at a shrine to the God of Harvests.

A gaunt, dirt smudged, scruffy-bearded man approached the dwarf. The man took off his hat respectfully and did a slight bow.

"Sir, you may not remember, but you took me on as a new miner a couple weeks back, I just wanted to thank you for the job - been too long since an honest man could earn an honest wage."

The dwarf nodded "I remember you - Griffin - Saul Griffin. The foreman said you looked too scrawny, but you talked a good talk and looked like an honest, hard working human. My grand sire taught me that hard work is something we dwarves don't have a monopoly on, and I need look for it wherever I can get it."

"You are too kind, sir, and sadly, I must push on you kindness a bit more. I know payday isn't until two days hence, but my niece is having her naming ceremony this very night. I was hoping to get an ..."

The dwarf quickly raised his hand, palm out, and cut off the miner. His shoulders sagged, and the miner looked disappointed for a moment. But the dwarfs other hand came out from his pouch, and dropped 5 silver coins into the Griffin's outstretched hand.

Griffin's posture improved dramtically, and his stopped dropped into a casual pose as he leaned against the hitching post. He rubbed the coins against one-another with one hand, and peeled off the beard with the other.

"Actually, the name is Brennar, Bancroft Brenner - and you've just hired the A-Team."

[ooc please do your in character reveals - you are the pilgrims across the street]

Brennar tookAlikair aside: "I don't care how big of a problem I caused during the last engagement, I am NOT going to spend two weeks digging again just to test a clients 'morale fiber."

Kaulesh
2010-05-10, 10:46 AM
"Pay no mind to him. He's just giving one of us a... pep talk. Yes, a pep talk. That sounds likely," says one of the dirty, disheveled men approaching from across the street. "Narrel Sasur, at your service." Narrel performs a low bow.

Fortuna
2010-05-10, 11:44 PM
"A thousand thousand blessings, as my grandfather would say! Today is indeed a most auspicious day."

The dwarf seems to be almost in tears with happiness.

Chaelos
2010-05-12, 05:03 PM
The tall, heretofore-silent man at the back of the group grins wryly even as his colleague tugs on the edge of his robe. He produces a slim, immaculately rolled cigar from his belt, which he uses to trace a sign of benediction in the air.

"Your penance is accepted, my 'son'."

He snaps his fingers and a small flame appears at the edge of his thumb, which he holds to the other end of the cigar. Smiling in pleasure as the cigar begins to smolder, he shakes his thumb to put the flame out and returns his attention to the dwarf.

"Most auspicious indeed," he repeats, pulling back his hood to reveal himself as a kindly-looking elf of respectable middle-age. "Tell us everything you can. Knowing is half the battle, after all."

He grins and breathes a plume of smoke into the air. The smoke takes the shape briefly of a large, capital "A" (in the common language) before dispersing into the ether.

Use of a prestidigitation spell for both effects.

Godskook
2010-05-12, 08:33 PM
Awkward. It had to be Awkward he was feeling. No other word seemed to fit what Knuckles felt right now. It was a new one, one he never felt before they were accused. If he mentioned it, anyone answering honestly would've agreed: A Warforged that was growing wings and scales, trying to hide his unusual appearance under a cloak was nothing other than Awkward.I don't like this, guys. Public is a bad place for me. You KNOW that.

Fortuna
2010-05-13, 12:13 AM
"Of course, of course... the A-Team! In the flesh!

"My apologies. Knowledge is, as my grandfather would say, the rarest of jewels. You will certainly need to know why I have sought you.

"I will be blunt with you. I desperately need help. Almost three months ago, five men were seen around my other mine, my big one, walking around like they owned the place, brushing past my guards. Well, as my grandfather would say, many are better than few, so I got a few of my cousins and we drove them out. A few weeks later we noticed that we were producing only half as much, maybe a little less, as we had been before. So we investigated. It turned out that the workers were being made to hand over half of what they got to a man who stood just inside the mine and squirreled it away somewhere until dark. When my guards accosted him, they were hit from behind and sent back to me, much the worse for wear, And at that point I figured, as my grandfather would say, knowing your limits is better than letting your enemy teach them to you, so I went looking for help. And I think you probably know the rest. The mine barely keeps worth running now, but I can't let the workers go. Mining mithral isn't the most needed skill, and I can't have the families of those people on my conscience."

cssmythe3
2010-05-17, 08:17 AM
"Sorry about the public display Knuckles, I know I get a bit carried away with the dramatics, but let's grab a private room in the tavern and discuss the details further - I'll purchase the drinks."

Bancroft jangles the new coins in his hand.

"However satisfying it may be to merely lie in wait and have knuckles pound your villains into paste - scum like this are usually only the tip of the iceberg - pardon my cliche. The toughs you are dealing with are no doubt handing the money to a higher up. Also, it's unlikely that the bad guys earn their dubious living by only extorting you. Might I suggest we ALL enlist as workers at your main excavation, pay our share to the extortionists, and track them? It would be most helpful to know the location of the lair, and finding out who else is feeling the pinch could gain us valuable allies..."

[ooc: going on vacation for almost two weeks, probably w/o internet - anyone feel free to run my character in my absence, I don't want to hold up the game!]

Godskook
2010-05-18, 11:00 AM
Satisfying for you, maybe, but anger is so erratic. Whenever we fight, it takes me hours to clean my mind up that night.

Kaulesh
2010-05-18, 11:18 AM
Narrel mutters to himself, "Brain the size of the material plane and you want me to chip at the rock for a few weeks more...

"I'll follow wherever the team decides to go."

Fortuna
2010-05-20, 04:00 AM
"As my grandfather would say, the businessmen know their business. If you feel that working in my other mine would be the best way to help, then by all means you are welcome. I shall tell you a little of what I know of mining this ore, in order that you not appear completely inexperienced. I was planning to leave for the mountains tomorrow. Would that be convenient for you? After all, as my grandfather would say, there is no time like the present."

EDIT: I'm still here, guys! I won't give up on this thread for about another month.

Godskook
2010-05-25, 02:35 PM
Does your grandfather have any method of travel that could get us there without attracting undue attention? As you can see as he speaks, Knuckles awkwardly lifts his cloak, revealing his out-of-place wings to the dwarf I don't exactly fit in well, even among my own kind.

Fortuna
2010-05-26, 01:22 AM
"Nothing but a covered wagon, I'm afraid. Still, there are worse ways to travel, and my miners are such a mixed bunch that they'll accept you without a second thought."

Godskook
2010-05-26, 08:29 PM
Knuckles looked to the others. He was not the decision-maker of the group, and didn't trust himself to be calling the shots for everyone. He stepped back and let the others give their say.

C'mon guys, let's not let this one die!

Kaulesh
2010-05-26, 08:50 PM
Narrel sizes up Knuckles. "If we bind your wings to your back and you're careful about it, we could probably pass you off as a hunchback. You're supposed to be working in a mine. I doubt if it would be terribly out of place."

On second thought, are you the warforged? If so, the hunch could be a design decision - puts you closer to your work and all that.

Godskook
2010-05-26, 09:10 PM
The color of his eyes flash a different color than is normal for a warforged. You know how I feel about bonds, human fleshbag. the warforged snaps. I'd sooner wear your..intestines?...as a hat....

Silence persists for a moment, as their customer reels and the others step back knowingly. They've all learned that when Knuckles gets emotional, its best to let him run it out on his own. After a few moments, his eyes restore themselves to their typical soft yellow, and he speaks again. I'm sorry, but rope will not help.

Knuckles' backstory is one of being experimented on for quite a while by a lot of scientists, in a Data meets Count Rugen kind of way.

So fair warning: I'll have some 'buttons'. (http://goblins.keenspot.com/)

That doesn't mean you can't talk me into using rope, but expect hilarity to ensue on a "I won't get on that plane" level.

Kaulesh
2010-05-26, 09:52 PM
Narrel continues, seemingly oblivious. "I am quite attached to my intestines and would rather not part with them, thank you. My appendix, on the other hand..." His eyes unfocus, staring off into the distance while he contemplates the possibilities. Visibly shaking himself out of it, he begins talking again. "Moving on, then. Our kind employer believes his miners will accept you without a second thought. Why not go as we are and test the waters?"

Fortuna
2010-05-28, 04:47 AM
((Still here: I'm going to let you sort this out, within reason.))

cssmythe3
2010-05-30, 03:47 PM
"While some of us may look awkward as miners, I think it is the best route, if we were to pose as potential buyers we might scare away the thugs for a while. The only way to ensure we see them face to face is if they are taking ore off our backs. Question master dwarf - have you any estimate as to their total number? Is it always the same person doing the collection?. "

(Quick Aside, to Knuckles...)

"Remember what I said about selling the act? Of course you don't like fighting - hell, I'm the only one in the group who likes it less. Last time I got hit with that poisoned bolt you had to muzzle me to keep from screaming like a little girl. But back to the act... you look the part of the tough, and if you act like it, LESS people will be willing to fight you. The man, er, dwarf thinks he's hiring fighters, so we should act the part. Even if our goal is trick the bastards into falling - bloodlessly - into a pit."

Fortuna
2010-05-30, 06:39 PM
"We've no idea how many there are, but there's one in particular, with a scar all down the middle of his face, who does the collection. The miners say he's got a big knife, and at least one of them has come out with a scar or two from it."

Kaulesh
2010-05-30, 07:32 PM
"It's not the size of the knife, sir, but how one uses it. I do not feel the guy will be much of a problem."

Godskook
2010-05-30, 07:55 PM
(Aside to Brennar)

What's a scar?

cssmythe3
2010-06-01, 07:52 AM
Brenner rolls up a sleeve and points to a scar on his arm...

(aside to knuckles)
"It's what happens to us non-warforged types when we run out of healing potions."

Reptar
2010-06-11, 08:51 AM
Leaning back in the booth Naver takes a long draw of his cigar and turns to the Dwarf, his wry grin leaking smoke, "I trust you brought the agreed sum? With penance cometh tithes." With a sweep of his hand he pushes back the pilgrim hood and removes the fake ears.

Fortuna
2010-06-11, 05:30 PM
"Of course. Here it is, paid in full in platinum."

He hands over a sack, and visibly straightens as he does so.

"Shall we go, then?"

[hr]

Two weeks pass uneventfully. The covered wagon works admirably, and there are no incidents. In fact, the road is remarkably peaceful.

Finally, you reach the mine. The dwarf, Lener son of Lenir son of Jonel, goes over the basics of mithral mining with you, and parts ways with you a few miles from the mine. He suggests that you arrive a few hours after him, or maybe the next day, to avoid suspicion on the parts of the extortionists. Then he continues to the mine.

Reptar
2010-06-11, 08:28 PM
"We'll see you tomorrow then. Though you may not recognize us." Shakeing Lener's hand Alekair's eyes shortly go glassy as he says goodbye. As the wagon rattles off he turns to his companions, "I'm sorry but it looks we're sleeping out tonight."
Leaning against a tree he begins describing, in detail, what the dwarf sees for the next 4 hours.
Concealed Spellcasting Check: (vs. spot.) [roll0]

Chain of Eyes: (DC: 17)
CHAIN OF EYES
Divination
Level: Cleric 3, druid 4, sorcerer/
wizard 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

With the creature’s will to resist brushed aside, you gaze out from its eyes to see your own satisfied smile.

You can use another creature’s vision instead of your own. While this spell
gives you no control over the subject, each time it comes into physical contact with another living being, you can choose to transfer your sensor to the new creature. During your turn in a round, you can use a free action to
switch from seeing through the current creature’s eyes to seeing normally or back again. Each transfer attempt allows the new target a saving throw and spell resistance. If a target resists, the spell ends.

Kaulesh
2010-06-11, 10:26 PM
Narrel spends a few moments sifting through his ample backpack. "Oh, camping! We haven't done that in quite a while. I appear to have forgotten my tent, though...."

Reptar
2010-06-12, 12:34 AM
Utterly relaxed with his head propped up against a root, the prone wizard interrupts his narrative, "I kinda like the occasional slumber under the stars. Within moderation of course."
A woolen cap is pulled over his vacant stare, "At least it doesn't look like rain." Cigar smoke rises with his words.
A short pause and he progresses with chronicle of dwarven sight.

Godskook
2010-06-12, 12:50 AM
For a while, Knuckles had stayed in a crate during their wagon trip, to avoid raising suspicion as they made their way out of the populated areas. Once they got into open country, that changed. The crate was opened and disposed of, and during the day, Knuckles still sat there, but at night, he took to the night sky, pushing himself hard in a way he wasn't used to.

The strain was new, different, and....exciting. It made him bleed, which itself was an unusual experience for him. Most nights, he could barely glide from a tall jump, while on others it felt, at least to him, like he could gain altitude and free himself from gravity itself.

Fortuna
2010-06-12, 04:08 AM
Alekair's spell goes unnoticed, and the dwarf arrives without incident. He oversees the accounts (running low) and then retires for the evening uneventfully with perhaps half an hour to spare on the spell. Just as the four hours are drawing to a close he leaps out of bed and rushes for the door...

And the spell cuts off, its time elapsed. Alekair doesn't know what happened, but it's unlikely to have been good.

Reptar
2010-06-12, 07:41 AM
"Something's afoot," Alekair sits up straight. Turning his face upwards he speaks to the tree above, "I need you to fly over and see what's up, we'll rendezvous outside the front entrance." The beating of black wings is the only reply as the wizard turns to the team. "Sudden change of plans, we're going in tonight."

Random_Person, if you want to, you can speak for Quoth when we meet up with him again. I'm sure you know his namesake.:smallwink:

cssmythe3
2010-06-14, 09:48 AM
"Tonight? I just got comfortable! It's bad enough that I haven't slept in a REAL bed in weeks and had to wear that incredibly unfashionable beard ..."

The stares of his companions shut him up.

He shrugged and held his hands out apologetically.

"Okay okay. You want me to do the skulk-in now or wait until the aerial recon gets back?"

He tossed his gear back onto the horse into his pack.

Reptar
2010-06-16, 06:53 AM
"No time for sulking. we're all moving out." Standing, Alekair pulls his hood over his eyes and shoulders his pack. Beginning the hike along the road he turns back, "We're meeting Quoth just outside the entrance."

Although the naming ceremony was long ago, both the bird and Alekair still shared regrets. A hilarious name when you're twelve leaves something to be desired once you've both matured.

cssmythe3
2010-06-16, 07:44 AM
"I didn't say sulking, I said skulking. One is harder to do effectively. Why doesn't anyone listen anymore? Furthermore - do you have suddenly have more information, or are we going off one of your fairly reliable hunches."

Brennar scanned the horizon the best he could as pulling on his boots.

Godskook
2010-06-16, 10:33 AM
Knuckles was always quicker to react to these kinds of orders than the others. With no immediate threat, there was time to grab essentials, which meant packing. For himself, Knuckles wore everything he owned. So while the others began grabbing things, Knuckles began walking, taking point. As soon as the others caught up, he'd match pace.

Kaulesh
2010-06-16, 11:15 AM
Narrel quickly rolls up his bedroll, grumbling only slightly. "Why couldn't something have happened in the daytime, when I can actually see?" He then digs through his pack for an everburning torch.

Reptar
2010-06-16, 07:26 PM
With a smile Alekair drops the stub of his cigar. "I'd call it an educated premonition." Grinding the remainder of his cigar beneath his boot, "Gussy up boys, there may be sentries along the road."
Taking the torch from Narrel, "Never liked these things, they don't look real." Waving a hand and muttering a few words smoke begins to rise from the magical flame. "That'll have to do." (prestidigitation) Torch in hand, the gray haired man takes long strides to draw alongside Knuckles.

Kaulesh
2010-06-16, 09:59 PM
Narrel quickly closes his pack and falls in behind Knuckles and Alekair. "Don't lose that. I paid for it out of my own pocket.

"Aww, who am I kidding? That's practically a work expense for us. I'll just pick up another five before the next mission."

cssmythe3
2010-06-17, 08:50 AM
"I'll take point - low light vision and all, off to the left side of the road."

Brenner trotted off to some 100 feet ahead of the rest of his companions.

Fortuna
2010-06-19, 04:21 AM
The team arrives outside the mine some time later. There would appear to be a fire lit just inside the mine, and the miners are standing outside. The dwarf is on a dais, standing next to a priest intoning in the old dwarven tongue.

Reptar
2010-06-19, 01:35 PM
Alekair's ears pick up parts of the dwaven speach as his eyes sweep across the courtyard, looking for his familiar. Whispering he calls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm)to the raven, "What happened? What's going on?" The rest of the team is in on the exchange.

cssmythe3
2010-06-23, 10:29 AM
Brennar muttered under his breath, "Another speech about the bones of the mountain bearing up its bounty... heard this before."

Fortuna
2010-06-27, 04:05 AM
Quoth's reply is terse, as is customary for him.

"Not sure. Miners unhappy. Priest unhappy. Miners wary."

Reptar
2010-06-27, 06:07 PM
"Good work, stay where you are, we're moving in. Watch our backs." Turning Alekair scans his team to make sure they look more like miners than mercenaries, "Alias, get those letters handy, we have an interview to attend. Though it may not be ours."
He slouches into the light emanating from the cave entrance.

Fortuna
2010-06-28, 04:38 AM
The priest ploughs on for maybe half a minute on sheer momentum before reality catches up with him. Now that the miners are looking at you, you can see a couple of tears glinting in eyes, and Lener is visibly crying, if quietly. When Lener doesn't step in, the priest decides to take action. He steps forward and asks, in heavily accented Common, "Vy are you here? Vot you vant?"

Reptar
2010-06-28, 10:08 AM
Wringing the hem of his rough woolen shirt Alekair contrives to look both embarrassed and exhausted. "I'm dreadful sorry, we don't mean to be a bother, but we was told there was work to be had here. It can wait though, please carry on with your service." He mumbles in common. Eyes looking downward he adjusts the pack on his shoulders, it appears to weigh far more than it's magical five pounds.

cssmythe3
2010-06-30, 08:32 PM
Brenner shuffled uneasily from foot to foot, taking in the scene, while following Alekair's 'commoner' lead. He seemed too shy to make eye contact with the priest.

He scanned the crowd for signs of injury - possibly those hurt by the extortionists. He also looked to see if any of the crowd seemed apart from the rest - especially those who might be sizing up the newcomers with professional interest.

Fortuna
2010-07-01, 02:31 AM
The crowd displays discomfort, and here and there a scar is obvious.

The priest grunts assent and returns to his recitation, while Lener indicates discreetly to speak to him later. The tears on his face glisten in the firelight.

[hr]

Perhaps half an hour later, the ceremony is finished and Lener ushers you into his office. His cheeks still show tears, an extremely rare show of emotion for a dwarf, and when he speaks his voice is barely audible.

"I'm afraid that, as my grandfather would... would have said, you chose the wrong time for the right act. Your arrival was hardly inconspicuous, and recent... events have led me to believe that not all my miners are trustworthy."

He breaks down in sobbing for a moment, then goes on.

"My grandfather, he liked to inspect the mine from time to time. I would usually go with him, but I only just got back today and he was already deep by the time I would have been ready to join him. Normally, he would have come out of the mine tomorrow morning at the earliest, but tonight..."

The strain is visivly too much for the dwarf, and he collapses weeping on the desk.

Reptar
2010-07-08, 10:08 AM
Leaning forward to console the grief stricken dwarf Alekair almost forgets how much dwarves dislike physical contact. Pausing he assuages the dwarf. "I'm sorry we didn't come sooner Lener, I feel partially responsible for your loss. From what you've told us Jonel was a fine dwarf, is there a chance we could pay our respects?"
The rest of the team can see the sparkle of a plan come into the wizard's eye.

Fortuna
2010-07-10, 10:23 PM
Lener gathers himself, looking up.

"Of course. He lies just inside the mine, and will do until morning."

Reptar
2010-07-10, 10:50 PM
"And in the morning?"

Fortuna
2010-07-11, 11:18 PM
"In the morning we take him to the deeps for burial, as is customary. He will be buried in an exhausted branch of the mine."

cssmythe3
2010-07-12, 08:40 AM
Brennar leaned toward Alekair and whispered: "Someone had to have been with him - we should find out who he would usually walk the mines, who last saw him, the usual."

Brennar blinked thoughtfully, and continued talking in hushed tones: "We'd better find out HOW the poor bugger died."

Kaulesh
2010-07-15, 01:41 AM
Narrel, finished studying his boots and having stayed out of the conversation until now, finally joins the rest of the group. "What's with the somber mood? It's like someone died or something." Seeing the hostile faces turn towards him, he realizes that that may have been the wrong choice of words.

"How was I supposed to know someone died? Why don't you guys tell me these things?" he stage-whispers to Brennar and Alekair.

Fortuna
2010-07-15, 07:46 PM
With an obvious effort, Lener smiles weakly. "I appreciate your attempt to cheer me, but you might as well save your breath for the mine. I can see no reason why we should not go ahead with the plan."

cssmythe3
2010-07-20, 12:21 PM
"Lener, I regret that I must press you with questions while you are in mourning. How did he die?"

"Does he travel alone on these trips?"

"Do you know who the last person to see him alive was?"

"Where was he found?"

OOC: This would be a discussion, I broke up the questions. Diplomacy roll to present this in the least offensive way: [roll0]

Fortuna
2010-07-21, 03:46 AM
"Lener, I regret that I must press you with questions while you are in mourning. How did he die?"

"I understand, of course. When he stumbled out of the mine, his... his side was torn open, and by the time the priest arrived he had died of blood loss. The wound... looked like a sword had done the deed."

"Does he travel alone on these trips?"

"No, not usually. I would accompany him most days, but he had already... already left. The priest says that the wound was old. He must have been fighting even as I got back. One of the miners was with him, but he says that Jonel wanted some time alone in the deeps. I don't... I don'tt know if I can believe him."

"Do you know who the last person to see him alive was?"

"Gygin, the miner I mentioned. He's been with us for decades, and never... never a thing wrong until today."

"Where was he found?"

"He was seen coming out of a little-used shaft. He knew those tunnels like the back of of his hand, and that shaft had natural passages we never fully explored. I suppose that he must have."

Reptar
2010-07-29, 05:08 AM
With his comforting smile hardening and becoming stern, Alekair interjects, "Has Gygin ever suffered an 'accident' in the mine since the five arrived? Was he harmed in any way while escorting your grandfather? He seems to be the only person who has any information on what happened down there."

Fortuna
2010-07-30, 02:28 AM
"No, he seems to have avoided them, working as he does in a different shaft. He was unharmed when he emerged from the mine, too."

Reptar
2010-08-03, 02:43 AM
Where could we find him?

Fortuna
2010-08-08, 05:05 AM
Following the directions that Lener, looking old and tired, was able to give, you arrive at one of the dormitories. Although the lights are dim inside, the shadow of a candle is frequently blocked by what the silhouette of what appears to be a grossly distorted human, or perhaps some larger or more exotic race.

Kaulesh
2010-08-08, 10:52 PM
"Are we... going in there? This doesn't feel right."

cssmythe3
2010-08-09, 11:07 AM
[Whispering]
"Narrel, do you suspect that our racketeers are going to step in an seize the mine outright? That seems rather bold for your average extortionists. You haven't started doing Alekair's vision thing, have you? I've been dealing with his since before the army, and he's about all I can handle."

Kaulesh
2010-08-09, 11:50 AM
Taking the cue from Brennar, Narrel begins whispering.
"No, no visions. It may all be in my mind, illusions created by a fluttering candle perhaps. I'm fine now."

cssmythe3
2010-08-10, 11:41 AM
[addressing the silhouetted figure]

"Well met, friend, could you direct us to Mister Gygin? Lener has sent us."

Fortuna
2010-08-11, 06:14 AM
The figure steps out the door, the pale moonlight illuminating a tusked face and almost patchwork body. The mouth is lopsided, and one of the eyes is either swollen or disfigured. The creature opens its mouth, and speaks.

"That would be me. How can I help you, good sirs?"

Reptar
2010-08-13, 08:45 PM
"We're the new hires, and though we know our way around a pick, we don't know the camp," Wheedles Alekair, fully enveloped in his role of an uncertain miner. "We spoke with the, uh, boss, he said you'd give us a tour. We're to work with you tomorrow too, to learn the routine. I'm sorry to bother you like this." His eyes seem afraid to meet those of the large man and his head bobs with repeated bows. "Did something happen? The owner seem very upset about something when we spoke with him."

Fortuna
2010-08-14, 07:30 PM
Gygin's voice is odd, seeming strangely cultured to be coming from such a monstrosity.

"I'm afraid there was a tragic accident earlier, one that I feel some responsibility for. Jonel, our esteemed patron's grandfather, died in the mine. It was truly awful."

The creature straightens up, and shakes itself.

"Well, he should have told you which dormitory you were to be shown to. 3B or 4B, most likely. Which did he say?"

Make a Bluff check.

Reptar
2010-08-14, 07:45 PM
"He didn't," Alekair the miner lets a bit of worry show through his facade, "For a dwarf he was quite choked up, I can understand why." With a pause for compassion he continues. "Can you recommend one? We'd like to stick together if we can," He gestures to his three companions, "if there's a problem I'm sure we can sort it out tomorrow."
Bluff: [roll0]

Fortuna
2010-08-14, 07:53 PM
"4B will do, I think. Come this way."

He picks up the candle and leads you to another dorimtory, hewn from the rock, pointing out four beds and indicating the small stock of blankets by the far wall.

Reptar
2010-08-14, 08:16 PM
"Ah, thank you. You have no idea how nice it will be to sleep in a proper bed again." Grinning the wizard gleefully turns to the large man, "It's been more than a week!" Grabbing a huge hand he shakes it vigorously. "We traveled all day just so we wouldn't have to sleep out in the open one more time." Letting go of Gygin's disfigured appendage Alekair appears thoughtful, "Is there somewhere we can wash up? We're as filthy as we are tired. It will be good to have solid work again, I can't stand traveling."
Bluff: (vs. sense motive) [roll0]
Concealed Spellcasting Check: (vs. spot.) [roll1]

Chain of Eyes: (DC: 17) {Using Versatile Spellcaster to exchange both Mage Armor and Silent Image for another use of Chain of Eyes}
CHAIN OF EYES
Divination
Level: Cleric 3, druid 4, sorcerer/
wizard 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

With the creature’s will to resist brushed aside, you gaze out from its eyes to see your own satisfied smile.

You can use another creature’s vision instead of your own. While this spell
gives you no control over the subject, each time it comes into physical contact with another living being, you can choose to transfer your sensor to the new creature. During your turn in a round, you can use a free action to
switch from seeing through the current creature’s eyes to seeing normally or back again. Each transfer attempt allows the new target a saving throw and spell resistance. If a target resists, the spell ends.

Fortuna
2010-08-17, 01:28 AM
"I'm afraid that it's a little basic in terms of hygeine, here. You have free access to the well, which is just inside the main mineshaft, then left, right, straight and another left. Other than that, yousee what you get."

Reptar
2010-08-17, 03:29 AM
"Well thank you anyway." Alekair smiles at the large man. "We appreciate all your help, it was nice to meet you. Where should we meet you in the morning?"

cssmythe3
2010-08-19, 07:04 AM
[stiffling a faux weary traveler yawn]

"Would you mind telling us about the accident? If you don't mind? I wouldn't want to go and mention where it happened or something else to remind the Boss about it."

Fortuna
2010-08-20, 03:59 AM
"I'll get you in the morning. I don't sleep much.

"As to the accident, it happened down Shaft 14, in the Deeps. You're not likely to see there any time soon: it's the most dangerous area, prone to cave-ins and occasional flash flooding. You'll probably start down Shaft 20 instead."

Reptar
2010-09-06, 04:38 AM
Well, thank you, we'll see you in the morning. Good night, we greatly appreciate your assistance.

Adjusting the illusionary weight of his pack, the group's leader totters off towards the 'washroom'.