PDA

View Full Version : Bard Spell Question

Rasman
2010-05-09, 03:01 PM
a buddy of mine and I had a disagreement about how Bard spell casting worked in comparison to Wizards, he might be right, but it's just been nagging me that it's different in the way I think it is

Now with a Wizard, when they cast a spell that they prepared, they lose it for the day because they had to prepare it, correct? Since Bards are spontanous casters and just know all their spells before casting, they don't lose that spell, but rather lose a casting of a spell in that spell's level, right?

For example, I cast Summon Monster I at 10th level, so I have 5 first level spells I can cast, so if I wanted, I could cast Summon Monster I again?

I'm just wanting to make sure I get this right before I make an ass out of myself since we play with some psudo-powergamers. Thnx for your time.

Prodan
2010-05-09, 03:04 PM
Bards cast spontaneously, like Sorcerers and Assassins.

Rasman
2010-05-09, 03:20 PM
Since Bards are spontanous casters...

Bards cast spontaneously, like Sorcerers and Assassins.

...I know...

I guess this is more of a question about mechanics than anything else because this is the first caster character I've ever played. So saying
"Bards cast spontaneously" doesn't really mean a lot to me other than the fact that I know Wizards aren't spontaneous casters.

EDIT: ah, I found my Answer on the SRD, I just wasn't looking in the right places. Thnx again for your time.

Sinon
2010-05-09, 03:59 PM
Glad you found it.

I just wanted to add, you can use a spell slot to cast any spell you know of that level or lower. So, you could not only not only expend all your 5 level-one spell slots on Summon Monster I; you could also use your 4 level-two slots, and your 3 level-three slots, and so on.

I'm not saying it is practical to cast it that many times, but you can.