PDA

View Full Version : Caustic feats[3.5, PEACH]

Flickerdart
2010-05-09, 04:10 PM
Caustic Blood
Prerequisites: Constitution 15+
Your blood is extremely acidic.
Benefit: Whenever you take slashing or piercing damage from a natural weapon, the attacker takes 1d6 acid damage. Whenever you take damage from a slashing or piercing manufactured weapon, the weapon takes 1d6 acid damage.
Additionally, you may intentionally wound yourself as a standard action to deal damage with your acidic blood. Every round you do so, you take 1 damage, but deal 1d6 acid damage to an adjacent object. You may only bleed in this fashion for as many rounds as you have hit dice per day.
Large or larger creatures with this feat use a d8 instead. Small or smaller creatures with this feat use a d4.
For every 10HD, increase the damage by an additional die (2d6 at 10HD, 3d6 at 20HD, etc).

Caustic Spittle
Prerequisites: Constitution 17+, Caustic Blood
You have learned to spit your acidic blood over distances.
As a standard action, you may take 1 point of damage to make a ranged touch attack against a creature within 30 feet. This attack deals acid damage as indicated by the Caustic Blood feat.
You can augment your Caustic Spittle in the following ways. You may not spend more HP that your HD in this way.

For every extra point of damage you take, your Caustic Spittle deals an extra die of damage.
For every extra point of damage you take, the range of Caustic Spittle increases by 5 feet.
If you take 5 extra points of damage, Caustic Spittle becomes a 10ft radius spread. It no longer requires a touch attack to hit, but targets caught in the burst are entitled to a Reflex save (10+1/2 your HD+your CON modifier) for half damage.
If you take 5 extra damage, enemies damaged by Caustic Spittle take that much damage again in the next round.

Tavar
2010-05-09, 04:32 PM
I think it's a little strong for the level it's at. It's great at level 1, and helps mitigate the rocket tag aspect a bit.

Only thing I really notice is that you don't specify what action it is to activate the second Caustic blood ability.

Nero24200
2010-05-09, 04:38 PM
Seem a little strong at first glance, but I can see that being fixed easily.

Though one thing instantly springs to mind - I might add more prerequisites, it doesn't really fit for humans to just spontainious have acidic blood. If they for instance delved into some shapchanging magic (such as a druid's wildshape) or something like that, or even if they had an unual heritage (such as by taking heritage feats) then I could see it working. If the only real obstecle is Con 13+ then suddenly alot of people will have acidic blood.

Flickerdart
2010-05-09, 08:00 PM
The feat is strong for a reason: it's largely defensive. Wizards don't need it - they don't want to be hit in the first place. It's for the Fighter who finds himself facing down the loaded end of a bear. Likewise, Caustic Spittle gives them an expanded set of combat options using a resource they should have in abundance. I'm feeling like experimenting with the "Psionics with HP" mechanic now.

I've raised the CON requirements for both feats, though, to make getting them somewhat more difficult to get at early levels.

Temotei
2010-05-09, 10:14 PM
For every extra point of damage you take, your Caustic Spittle deals an extra die of damage.
If you take 5 extra points of damage, Caustic Spittle becomes a 10ft radius spread. It no longer requires a touch attack to hit, but targets caught in the burst are entitled to a Reflex save (10+1/2 your HD+your CON modifier) for half damage.
If you take 5 extra damage, enemies damaged by Caustic Spittle take that much damage again in the next round.

1st level: 10 + 2 (15 Constitution) = 12 hp. Caustic Blood feat.
8th level: 10 + 38.5 (38) (5.5*7) + 24 (17 Constitution) = 72 hp. Spend one hit point to make attack at 1d6 damage. 71. Spend 5 hit points to make area of effect. 66. Spend 5 to make them take damage next round. 61. Spend 60 to add sixty extra dice. 61d6 average = 213.5. 213.5*2 = 427 damage. 1 hp left.

Eh. It kills bosses if the fighter goes nova (It's better for a barbarian in this exercise, since they get an additional hit point per level on average.), but then they're left with hardly any hit points, basically forcing the party to either guard the fighter or heal him up. Then again, that was with only decent starting Constitution and no magic.

Tavar
2010-05-09, 10:16 PM
You're forgetting the line about not spending more HP than you're HD.

Temotei
2010-05-09, 10:19 PM
You're forgetting the line about not spending more HP than you're HD.

I could swear it said you could spend more than your hit dice on the second feat for the purposes of those abilities. Maybe I'm just going crazy like my girlfriend says.

I agreed with her long ago, however. She just doesn't know that. :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2010-05-10, 04:38 AM
It's pretty cool, maybe make it a spelltouched feat?

(Also, I made a class that uses HP to fuel it's powers. [/endshamelessselfpromotion])

Flickerdart
2010-05-10, 02:24 PM
It's pretty cool, maybe make it a spelltouched feat?

(Also, I made a class that uses HP to fuel it's powers. [/endshamelessselfpromotion])
That's certainly an idea. Too many Melf's Acid Arrows to the face...

I'll check out your class.

Milskidasith
2010-05-10, 02:29 PM
This is incredibly weak; for two touch attacks, you can deal 20d6 with a touch attack at level 20. That's absolutely pathetic for a fighter intending to deal damage.

The first feat is useless; against enemies with weapons, hardness and weapons taking half damage from acid makes it useless, and against enemies without weapons, 1d6 is pitiful at first level and just useless at 9th level, and adding another die or two on your way to 20 doesn't do anything to change that.

Flickerdart
2010-05-10, 02:54 PM
The attacker takes damage for every time they hit you. You have a 12-headed hydra open up on you? Hydra takes 24d6 acid damage to the face. That's an average of 104 damage, most of the hydra's HP. It's less dramatic for creatures with less attacks, but it's quite a bit more than 1d6.

The latter feat is 22d6 damage on a ranged touch attack. The Warlock deals 10d6. At half the range and with a hit point cost, I think it's quite balanced for a single feat. It's not supposed to replace the rest of your character's offensive ability. That would be way overpowered for just one feat.