PDA

View Full Version : Recording music; what do I need?

13_CBS
2010-05-09, 05:02 PM
I'd like to try my hand at recording music on my Windows Vista laptop, but at the moment I've only got a violin and myself, and I'm not really sure what I'd need to record my own music.

Bottom line requirements:

* Ability to multi-track
* Good sound quality
* Not too expensive: total cost of equipment cannot exceed, oh, $300 US.

So, as I said, I have a computer, an instrument, and myself. What sort of equipment will I need? What about software?

Edit: I just remembered that I can borrow a copy of Acid Pro from my friend. What else do I need?

Force
2010-05-09, 05:30 PM
A good place to record, if you don't have access to a studio. A friend of mine, who's a voice actor, has set up his dorm room with a blanket dividing the room in half, cork blocks on the walls and ceiling, and the window open when it's not too loud outside. That might work for you as well.

Penguinsushi
2010-05-09, 08:04 PM
I have made a number of pretty high-quality recordings from my home office using some pretty basic stuff:

I would recommend some good software with the ability to add (at minimum) EQ and compression effects to tracks. I use Garageband, but if you don't have a mac that won't help you. Audacity is a decent free program. I don't personally have experience with much else.

Apart from that, I would suggest a cheap mixer, which you can usually pick up a basic model for ~$50-$100. I've had good experiences with Berhinger boards, and they're some of the least expensive. Also, you'll want decent xlr mic - probably a dynamic given your budget and if you're worried *at all* about background noise. A Shure 57 or equiv. is a good place to start, and you can pick one of those up for ~$100.

My method was generally to take a left/right to 1/8in cable and run from the mixer's 'tape out' to the computer's 'line-in'.

It takes some playing around with to discover what's optimal, but in a decent space you can get some really nice recordings out of that modest rig.

~PS

thubby
2010-05-10, 03:48 AM
I have had nothing but compatibility issues with audacity.
wavosaur has worked reasonably well, though it doesn't have the same level of support.

from what i can tell from the cripleware, acid has virtually everything you're after.

Capt Spanner
2010-05-10, 02:10 PM
I found Audacity just fine, although its lack of MIDI support is a pain.

Also try Reaper (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/), which the drummer in my band swears by. It's free up to version .99

Apart from that you'll want a good quality sound card, and a good quality microphone. The Shure SM57 is the preferred all-purpose mic in many places, although if you are at home you may prefer a condenser mic, such as the Sennheiser e614, which is my favourite microphone ever.

SDF
2010-05-10, 02:30 PM
As far as cheap hardware goes, you'd be fine off with an audiobox (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System?sku=243007) and MXL 990 (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shock-Mount?sku=273156&rec=product_A) mic. With $100 left for cables, a stand, and pocket the rest. Then pick up some free software and go!

Penguinsushi
2010-05-10, 02:52 PM
if you are at home you may prefer a condenser mic, such as the Sennheiser e614, which is my favourite microphone ever.

You may well have more xp with that mic that I do, but there are a couple of concerns I'd express with respect to a condenser. It *will* give you a truer frequency response with respect to the instrument you're recording, but you're *much* more likely to pick up any and all background noise and you will need an input interface with phantom power in order to use it...

~PS

13_CBS
2010-05-10, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, folks!

Quick question, though: what is the purpose of a mixer? I'm under the impression that, as long as I convert sounds on my violin into data files on my computer, then edit those files on something like Acid, I should be fine...so what is the mixer for?

Penguinsushi
2010-05-10, 03:29 PM
Quick question, though: what is the purpose of a mixer? I'm under the impression that, as long as I convert sounds on my violin into data files on my computer, then edit those files on something like Acid, I should be fine...so what is the mixer for?

I used a mixer as a go-between to get the signal from an XLR mic into my computer, to do a little front-end EQ tweaking, and to use the mixer's preamp for most of the signal amplification. If you're using a kind of direct adapter or you're doing strictly midi, you don't really need it.

~PS

13_CBS
2010-05-12, 06:10 PM
I used a mixer as a go-between to get the signal from an XLR mic into my computer, to do a little front-end EQ tweaking, and to use the mixer's preamp for most of the signal amplification. If you're using a kind of direct adapter or you're doing strictly midi, you don't really need it.

~PS

What do you mean by direct adapter? If, for example, I simply record myself playing the violin and convert the recording into a mp3, do I strictly need a mixer?

Also, a very very basic question...how do I record? :smallredface: Obviously I'll need the equipment, but where is the "record" button"? How do I perform the actual recording of the music?

Penguinsushi
2010-05-12, 06:43 PM
What do you mean by direct adapter? If, for example, I simply record myself playing the violin and convert the recording into a mp3, do I strictly need a mixer?

Also, a very very basic question...how do I record? :smallredface: Obviously I'll need the equipment, but where is the "record" button"? How do I perform the actual recording of the music?

:smallconfused:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm also not sure what you mean by "what if I just record myself and convert it to an mp3" - if you're doing that already, I'm confused as to why you started this thread....?

Still, for posterity and in case it will help at all, I'll outline exactly how everything I've used works (probably in more detail than you need):

1. XLR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector) mic, I had a Shure sm58. The 57 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68459-REG/Shure_SM57_LC_SM57_LC_Microphone.html) is a good all-purpose dynamic, but generally whatever you want to use will work. Some others have recommended condenser mics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Condenser_microphone), which can give you a more natural sound, but require power (many require the mixer to supply this via 'phantom power'), are generally more expensive (on average) and, due to their exceptional sensitivity, are *much* more likely to pick up stray/background sounds in a less-than-silent environment. I highly recommend an actual XLR mic as opposed to a USB or 1/4 or 1/8 plug mic for sound quality/interference reasons.

2. Mic plugs into a small mixing board (http://www.google.com/images?q=behringer%20mixer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi) via XLR cable. I think this is where you may be getting confused. A mixing board is traditionally used to mix levels/eq/whatever of various inputs and output them as a single mixed signal. In this case, however, it's only being used as a go-between to get the XLR mic into the computer (unless you're recording using multiple mics), because - unless you have some pretty custom hardware - your computer doesn't have an XLR jack on it. You'll use this to set your mic's input level & preamp amplification via the 'gain' and 'level' knobs/sliders on the mixer, and then pump the signal into your computer where it can be recorded. Edit: You haven't mentioned much about what you're currently working with, but if you're recording an instrument that has a direct output (i.e., if your violin has a pickup), you can also plug that into the mixer instead of the mic. With an adapter, you could probably also plug it straight into your soundcard, but the mic preamp in a normal 1/8 mic jack isn't terribly great and unless your violin also has active electronics, the signal will not be strong enough for the line-in.

3. I used a L/R to 1/8in cable (http://media.digikey.com/photos/Assmann%20Photos/AK243-025,050,10.jpg) to run from the mixer's 'Tape Out' to my computer's 'line in'.

That is the hardware setup.

4. For recording software, I use Garageband - though, like I said, if you don't have a mac this won't help you. Some of the others here have recommended some well-reviewed free alternatives, all of which are capable of these basic functions.

5. Note: make sure your recording software is set to record the signal from the 'line-in' and not a built-in mic or mic jack on your sound card.

6. Your recording software is what you will use to actually record and mix multiple tracks (if desired), not the mixing board - it does all the real work in terms of producing/mastering your recording (it is where the "record button" is). The above hardware is important simply to get a *quality* signal from your voice or instrument to the computer.

~PS

13_CBS
2010-05-13, 09:09 AM
Oooh, okay okay. I think I understand the process now.

Thanks very much to everyone for the help! :smallbiggrin:

13_CBS
2010-06-15, 09:29 PM
Alright, I have all the hardware in, plugged everything in correctly and all that. I have a Behringer mixer, connected to a Shure57 mic via a XLR cable, and my laptop is connected to the mixer via a L/R 1/8 inch cable, with the white/red ends plugged into the Tape Output in the correct places and the mic jack end plugged into my laptop's Mic In. However, no sound is recorded when I try to record stuff on Acid Pro 7.

I suspect that my laptop is having trouble recognizing the mic, but I'm not sure. All I know is that Acid Pro isn't picking up any sound, and I don't think it's the software's fault.

HEEELP! I sank quite a bit of cash into this and I don't want to waste it! :eek:

thubby
2010-06-15, 10:54 PM
crank up your mic volume from the control panel. it was the first problem i ran into when recording.

13_CBS
2010-06-16, 12:00 AM
It's already at maximum. Should I use the microphone boost?

(FYI I'm using Windows Vista.)

thubby
2010-06-16, 04:59 AM
It's already at maximum. Should I use the microphone boost?
(FYI I'm using Windows Vista.)

it's worth a shot.

if acid isn't picking up the input device at all, you can assign it manually. i don't know how to do that from acid, but you can do it from your control panel as well.

failing that, try recording through a cheap gaming/chat mic. that way you can potentially rule out a broken mic.
and try making a recording on windows movie maker or something, if another program works its a settings issue.

edit: for that matter, have you checked for drivers your devices may need? it's always the little things...

Jimorian
2010-06-16, 07:49 AM
I'm not familiar with Acid Pro, but my recording software has a setting that lets you choose which audio device to use. Usually a choice between some kind of microsoft device or the specific sound card that's been installed. There also might be a "mute" button on the audio device selection part of windows.

Agree with the troubleshooting routine thubby recommends.

Moff Chumley
2010-06-16, 11:44 AM
I know you already bought the gear, but since I'm a total audio geek and I came to this thread late, I'mma have to give my 2cp anyhow.

I cannot recommend highly enough an external converter. As it is now, all your mixer is doing is amplifying the inputs, which to be honest, is a bit of a waste if you only have one mic. Especially considering Behringer's rather crappy quality. What's currently happening is that your audio is being converted from analog to digital within your computer, which is gonna be very low quality.

I'd recommend selling or returning the mixer and picking up something like the Lexicon Lamda. It has two built in mic amps, and built in analog to digital conversion. If you have external speakers (which is a MUST if you're recording music) then those also interface. The Lambda interfaces with a computer via USB. And, the kicker: it comes with Cubase LE, which is a terrific piece of software. I've always had more pleasant results working with Cubase than with Sound Forge.

As far as microphones go, the SM57 is definitely a classic and can certainly work on vocals, but it's notoriously lacking on string instruments like acoustic guitar or violin. You'll want a small diaphragm condenser for those applications. Try the AKG Perception 170. AKG has a great reputation, and this mic is dirt cheap...

Just my two cents, of course. :smallsmile:

13_CBS
2010-06-16, 11:48 AM
I know you already bought the gear, but since I'm a total audio geek and I came to this thread late, I'mma have to give my 2cp anyhow.

I cannot recommend highly enough an external converter. As it is now, all your mixer is doing is amplifying the inputs, which to be honest, is a bit of a waste if you only have one mic. Especially considering Behringer's rather crappy quality. What's currently happening is that your audio is being converted from analog to digital within your computer, which is gonna be very low quality.

I'd recommend selling or returning the mixer and picking up something like the Lexicon Lamda. It has two built in mic amps, and built in analog to digital conversion. If you have external speakers (which is a MUST if you're recording music) then those also interface. The Lambda interfaces with a computer via USB. And, the kicker: it comes with Cubase LE, which is a terrific piece of software. I've always had more pleasant results working with Cubase than with Sound Forge.

As far as microphones go, the SM57 is definitely a classic and can certainly work on vocals, but it's notoriously lacking on string instruments like acoustic guitar or violin. You'll want a small diaphragm condenser for those applications. Try the AKG Perception 170. AKG has a great reputation, and this mic is dirt cheap...

Just my two cents, of course. :smallsmile:

I'll...consider it (though I bought everything online, so I'm not entirely sure if everything is refundable), but at the moment, I would prefer help with figuring out how to get the stuff I have right now working.

I haven't been able to test my computer with another mic at the moment to check to see if my Shure SM57 is working, but FYI my computer definitely isn't recognizing the mic. It's not showing up in Control Panel.

It may be the case that I need drivers, but I've been googling around and so far, no luck (I don't know very much at all about software, unfortunately).

Jimorian
2010-06-16, 08:25 PM
Once you get the mic input working on the computer, it doesn't matter much what you're plugging into it, except to adjust the levels.

Also, is there something else you can plug the mini plug into to check that there's a signal coming from the mixer?

13_CBS
2010-06-16, 09:23 PM
Also, is there something else you can plug the mini plug into to check that there's a signal coming from the mixer?

What sort of things would be able to test the signal?

Jimorian
2010-06-16, 10:08 PM
While not ideal because it doesn't test the actual cable you're using, you could plug a regular red/white RCA cable from your tape out to your TV set audio inputs or into a regular stereo receiver.

It still sounds more like a problem getting the right settings in the computer, but it's nice to eliminate other parts of the chain anyway.

Moff Chumley
2010-06-16, 10:30 PM
I can't actually answer your question; I have no experience setting up Acid. Just bear in mind that your gear wasn't designed with that application in mind.

Lev
2010-06-16, 10:31 PM
On the same note, what's needed for voice acting portfolio-grade tools? What kind of mic would be ideal, and should it be rented as apposed to bought?

13_CBS
2010-06-16, 10:45 PM
While not ideal because it doesn't test the actual cable you're using, you could plug a regular red/white RCA cable from your tape out to your TV set audio inputs or into a regular stereo receiver.

Eh...I don't think I have anything like that. Since you suspect that it's a settings problem anyway, would you mind me asking you for help on that instead?

13_CBS
2010-06-22, 03:14 PM
Update:

I managed to borrow my friend's Windows laptop (Windows 7) and tested my mic on that, and everything seems to work. Or at least, the computer recognizes the mic and picks up sound through it. The plugged in mic is identified as Microphone Array.

My laptop, on the other hand, isn't recognizing the mic at all. It recognizes that something is plugged into the mic jack, but doesn't recognize it as a mic.

Help!

(Before you ask: no, I would prefer not to hog my friend's computer for my own selfish recording needs :smalltongue:)

Moff Chumley
2010-06-22, 07:07 PM
On the same note, what's needed for voice acting portfolio-grade tools? What kind of mic would be ideal, and should it be rented as apposed to bought?

It depends immensly on your voice. Some of the more popular (affordable) options are the Electrovoice RE-20, Heil Sound PR40 and PR30, the Shure SM7 (NOT THE SM57!), the Blue Baby Bottle, or the Blue Mouse. But what I would do if I were you is go down to your nearest Guitar Center (or other large music store), line up ten or fifteen microphones, make a test recording on each, and see what sounds best.

As for hardware aside from mics, you'll need a preamp and converter. You don't need anything particularly special, just something nice and clean. I recommend something like the Focusrite ISA One Digital. It's essentially an all-in-one solution for what you're trying to do. Then, of course, you'll need software. I'm not advocating torrenting things, but it DOES make your life a LOT easier... if you want to stay legal, pick up a copy of Cockos Reaper. Excellent software, very affordable, and has the editing options you'll want.

Hope that helps. :smallsmile:

Capt Spanner
2010-06-23, 08:01 AM
Update:

I managed to borrow my friend's Windows laptop (Windows 7) and tested my mic on that, and everything seems to work. Or at least, the computer recognizes the mic and picks up sound through it. The plugged in mic is identified as Microphone Array.

My laptop, on the other hand, isn't recognizing the mic at all. It recognizes that something is plugged into the mic jack, but doesn't recognize it as a mic.

Help!

(Before you ask: no, I would prefer not to hog my friend's computer for my own selfish recording needs :smalltongue:)

Your computer input is probably expecting line-level (~1V) where the mic is producing mic-level (~0.001V) and is too quiet to register. There may be a setting somewhere where you can change the jack from a line-in to mic-in, or you may have to get something that boosts the signal to line-level, such as a DI box.

Moff Chumley
2010-06-23, 11:44 PM
If you're running through a mixer, that's fine, because the mixer will output at line-level. Otherwise, go back and try again. :smallwink:

Lev
2010-06-24, 06:14 PM
It depends immensly on your voice. Some of the more popular (affordable) options are the Electrovoice RE-20, Heil Sound PR40 and PR30, the Shure SM7 (NOT THE SM57!), the Blue Baby Bottle, or the Blue Mouse. But what I would do if I were you is go down to your nearest Guitar Center (or other large music store), line up ten or fifteen microphones, make a test recording on each, and see what sounds best.

As for hardware aside from mics, you'll need a preamp and converter. You don't need anything particularly special, just something nice and clean. I recommend something like the Focusrite ISA One Digital. It's essentially an all-in-one solution for what you're trying to do. Then, of course, you'll need software. I'm not advocating torrenting things, but it DOES make your life a LOT easier... if you want to stay legal, pick up a copy of Cockos Reaper. Excellent software, very affordable, and has the editing options you'll want.

Hope that helps. :smallsmile:
Much Appreciated! +rep!