PDA

View Full Version : The Crippled God [IC]

Exeson
2010-05-09, 05:34 PM
The Crippled God

Introduction: Shark! Shark! Shark! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBI2IXnq0mA)

The mist was thick, visibility down to thirty feet or there abouts. It had rolled in not ten minutes ago and although the crew did not seem to give it a second glace it spooked Tapper. Well, the mist spooked him, but more was the lack of wind. The sail was slack and the sailors were even slacker, lounging about playing cards or talking amongst themselves waiting for a breeze. The captain had told him not to worry too much, these things happen on this route.... sometimes... rarely.

he was below deck, eating a meal with the five other passengers that had bought onto the ships, motley bunch really he thought as he gave each of them an second appraisal. First one a girl, tall bitch, Tapper wouldn't say no however, but then he had spent too long in male company. A second girl next to her, fairly quiet and all business, not that he had made an effort to really talk. Then there was the violet eyed man who was all business, Tapper sneered inwardly, bloody nobles he thought to himself. Then a fellow soldier, 1st army if the badge was not stolen, hard man then, wouldn't want to mess with him. And the last addition to their motley collection, A giant of a man with a wiry black beard and breath to kill. He was dressed like a civilian but he had the look of a soldier, well not so much a soldier as a killer.

'Three days in and we have already hit problems eh?' he said, trying to get a bit of conversation from the group. 'Tapper by the way, nice to meet you all now that we are together for the first time'.

The wiry man in front of you smiled as he spoke, he was a thin weasel of a person and a glint to his eyes. On his worn clothes was pinned a badge of the second army.

goblinpaladin
2010-05-09, 07:01 PM
"Licin Mucianus, First Army. A pleasure, Tapper." The dark-haired soldier offered the other man a hand.

Gryps2
2010-05-09, 08:06 PM
Florence gave Tapper a glance as the man spoke. She had been looking over the other passengers while attending to her plate, not particularly concerned over what she saw. Having adventured before, the mixed rabble in front of her was almost familiar, though Licin worried her. She had only agreed to follow Ingol on this fool's errand because she was convinced that no one connected to her convent would involve themselves with a colonization effort, but the man's Obtiil holy symbol had her concerned. She kept her own symbol hidden, at least for the moment. Both of them being Army regulars was slightly troublesome, though she could hardly believe Tapper had any combat experience. Usually anyone with any discipline was hardly bothered by silence like this.

"Florence Gadamyn." she responded absently, barely sparing Tapper a look before returning to her meal.

tonberryking
2010-05-10, 12:02 AM
Ingol

The tall bitch Ingol has been rather pleasant during the trip though something about her mannerisms (and not just her size) seemed to turn off advances from the lagabout card sharks. It may be that she comes off as too congeal, too happily daft until she pointed out something that took eagle eyes to spot. Or that she openly hones that wicked looking hatchet of hers (she apparently has two, though) first thing every morning. She chimes in as soon as Florence gives her name with brevity, "And I'm L'linne, but everyone calls me Ingol! It's charming to make your acquaintance, good sir."

She'd already finished her meal and looked up from a personal journal scrawled with notes varied between ungainly scrawl and deft strokes of a charcoal pencil, though like her traveling companion Florence, she doesn't spare Tapper much else besides the greeting.

Exeson
2010-05-10, 11:57 AM
Tapper smiled, 'First army eh? You on leave or assignment?'

Anachronism
2010-05-10, 12:44 PM
Rhaegar had been focussing on eating, diligently ignoring the other passengers. He could not help noticing, however, that Tapper kept giving him dirty looks. Tempted to reach for his sword and confront him, he instead suppressed his anger and settled for saying to him:

Is there something about me that bothers you?

Exeson
2010-05-10, 01:13 PM
'Bothers me? yeah, you're a noble tosser ain't you.' He smiled and the giant of a man chuckled. 'Easy now, doesn't mean he's a bad person' the man said in a booming voice, 'I'm Chapel by the way.'

Gryps2
2010-05-10, 01:20 PM
Stabbing a chunk of food with her fork, Florence glances up at the others. "Indeed. Precious little to be gained by quarreling with each other."

Anachronism
2010-05-10, 01:22 PM
Rhaegar sneered at Tapper and laughed.

Noble? Ha! You're wrong on that count, I assure you. Can't say I'm particularly friendly to nobles, if I'm honest. As for you,

He turned to the huge man,

Don't jump to conclusions. I may well be a bad person for all you know. He laughed again. I'm called Rhaegar.

Exeson
2010-05-10, 01:36 PM
'Well doesn't someone rate himself as important,' Chapel chuckled and took a huge mouthful of food. 'Though those violet eyes aren't down to chance.'

Tapper nods, 'Aye, someone's mother knew friends in high places eh? But the woman speaks true, let's not bicker.'

Anachronism
2010-05-10, 01:45 PM
Rhaegar turned to Chapel again.

I'm not important. As you say, these eyes are not an accident. If I were important, do you seriously think I'd be looking for work in Denku?

To Tapper:

I can tell you're a bright one. I suggest that you not speak ill of my mother. I shall let that comment slide, however. It's hardly the first that's been made. There is, as you say, no point in arguing. Pass the salt.

Rhaegar resumed eating, less tense now, and took a moment to consider the others. An unusual group, though no stranger than some he had worked with in the past. They seemed competent enough.

Exeson
2010-05-10, 01:48 PM
Tapper nodded and handed the pot of salt. 'So howcome you are all headed to the island?'

tonberryking
2010-05-10, 02:05 PM
Ingol rushes to this occasion, her emerald eyes alight with some inner fire. Why she'd be happy to tell her side of it!

"Well, you know, this and that. I've come with my colleague Florence to explore the area and learn of it's history! This information is DESPERATELY needed by the Historian's guild back home and I'd hate to see them suffer along. Oh I do hope there're ancient temples or lost half sunken cities to explore; it surely will be quite the life-experience. Isn't that right, my friend?" she beams this last over over to Florence, possibly putting the more taciturn woman on the spot.

Gryps2
2010-05-10, 02:06 PM
Florence glanced between the two men, content to let the argument sputter out. So long as blades weren't drawn, by mercenary terms the conversation had remained friendly. Rhaegar was certainly more open about his past then Florence would have found advisable, but it was hard to disguise being a bastard. Taking her cup, she took a sip before glancing over at Ingol as the other woman exploded into a tirade, as usual. She set her cup down, closing her eyes. "Yes, something like that."

Anachronism
2010-05-10, 02:20 PM
Rhaegar sat back in his chair and took a drink.

I'm heading there for work, plain and simple. I had a... professional falling-out with my previous company, so now I work freelance. There's bound to be someone who needs a mercenary there.

He turned to Ingol and spoke sarcastically, though not unkindly.

Ancient temples, you say? I don't suppose these mystical ruins hold any long-forgotten treasures which would help a down-on-his-luck mercenary achieve fame and fortune? Ha! I suspect Denku's much more mundane than you seem to think. Doesn't mean I hope you're wrong, of course.

goblinpaladin
2010-05-11, 08:55 AM
"Assignment." Mucianus glanced sideways at Rhaegar and frowned. "I remain in service to the Empire, of course."

He speared a slice of meat with his knife. "And you, Tapper? Why is a man of the Second Army out here?"

Exeson
2010-05-11, 11:26 AM
Tapper smiled mischievously, 'I'm a sapper, was a sapper. See thing is I died at Pelt.' he winks, 'if you get my drift,'

Chapel growled, 'That's dangerous talk,'

'Aye, but the Second got disbanded anyway didn't it? merged with the Third and Fourth, no one is going to miss a single sapper.

Goblinpaladin make a basic knowledge check at +2 modifier

Gryps2
2010-05-11, 12:15 PM
"Not much is known about Denku. It's simple to speculate one way or another." Florence said, as she continued to eat while keeping tabs on the other conversation. Between the bastard, the deserter and the veteran, it was going to be an interesting group, should they ever be pressed to work together. Of course, it would be easier for her to keep her own past under wraps with them watching out for each other.

Anachronism
2010-05-11, 12:23 PM
Rhaegar grinned approvingly.

Deserter, eh, Tapper? Can't say I fault your decision. Never could get the hang of organised soldiering, myself. It's easier to work alone: you don't have to worry about the others screwing up and getting you killed. Plus, you get to keep all the loot for yourself.

Exeson
2010-05-11, 12:33 PM
Tapper chuckles as Rhaegar talks although when he reaches the mention of keeping loot to himself he goes pale and just nods slightly, then trying to hide it forces a smile. 'Aye, although I'm not a deserter, I'm a dead man.' To this Chapel chuckles.

tonberryking
2010-05-11, 02:06 PM
Ingol

Seemingly ignorant of this talk of desertion, Ingol makes a few notes on something or other in a runic scrawl . "Hmm... Florence, dear, d'you think we, or anyone else here, really, should find a local in or establishment to establish as a ground base? Someplace trustworthy?" she glances down at Tapper when he's not looking and then back to her friend.

Gryps2
2010-05-11, 03:19 PM
Florence frowned. Ingol always had a way of going on seemingly unrelated tangents, though she could have some cunning insights when her mind was through wandering. "Possibly. It would perhaps be best to ascertain the situation in the trading post once we get there." she said, before looking towards Mucianus. "If they are sending soldiers to it, then there may be some trouble brewing."

Anachronism
2010-05-11, 03:22 PM
Rhaegar noticed Tapper's brief expression of panic at the mention of loot; he suspected he knew what was going on, but chose not to mention it at the moment.

Ingol makes a good point about a base of operations. I assume you've been to Denku before; are there any decent inns? Preferably ones where the mattresses are clean?

He realised that Florence made a good point about Mucianus. If there were trouble brewing in Denku, mercenaries would surely be needed. Maybe this trip wouldn't be a waste of time after all.

goblinpaladin
2010-05-11, 07:30 PM
Mucianus narrowed his eyes. "Desertion carries a penalty of execution." He looked as though he were willing to say more, but glanced aside at Florence as she spoke to him. "If there were serious trouble, it would be more than just me sent."

The soldier stood abruptly. "I find that I am no longer hungry. If you will excuse me."

Anachronism
2010-05-12, 11:13 AM
Rhaegar wondered why Florence's statement had bothered Mucianus so much. He could only assume that he hadn't actually been assigned to Denku, but was travelling there for some other reason. These facts, however, did not concern him much; there were bigger issues at hand.

If he's leaving, I'm taking what's left of his food.

tonberryking
2010-05-12, 12:35 PM
Ingol

Looking up over her journal, Ingol makes an audible murring sound, as i pondering a rather difficult query. "Mmm, we'd better be wary of certain jobs then; conscription agreements may not have our best interests..." And then it's back to her more vapid statements: "Military movements may damage any relics or historical sites. The only history they're concerned over is who wins..."

Exeson
2010-05-12, 12:54 PM
'Every noble's reputation is built on the corpses of the poor, aye' Tapper nods, looking very proud at himself for such a deep sentiment.; 'No good they are, nobles, specially ones who know nothing about mili'ry stuff.'

tonberryking
2010-05-12, 01:06 PM
Ingol

"Oh. Well, lucky for me, my poppa was a mighty bandit known as Ironfist Ingol. No nobility there!"

Anyone who's gone north of the capitol may have hear the name she just uttered, in case "Ingol" sounded familiar. Some clever bandit leader, whose exploits border or either ballsy or outright mythical.

Anachronism
2010-05-12, 01:09 PM
Rhaegar was trying to avoid voicing his opinions on nobles, but at the name of Ingol's father, recognition dawned on him: he knew where he had heard that name before.

Your father was Ironfist, you say? I know of him; he managed to cause a fair bit of trouble for my old company. I believe I even fought a few of his men on one occasion. Obviously, they came off the worse.

He chuckled, and tore a hunk off a piece of bread.

Gryps2
2010-05-12, 01:25 PM
Florence watched Mucianus leave before turning to give Ingol a look as the other woman mentioned her bandit father. At least she had the sense to wait until the professional soldier had left, she consoled herself. "It would be wise not to mention that around Mucianus, L'linne."

Exeson
2010-05-12, 04:16 PM
Chapel smiles at Ingol, 'Iornfist eh? Aye, I've heard of him. I wouldn't go around flaunting it though, I might just decided to kidnap you as ransom.'

tonberryking
2010-05-13, 10:32 AM
"Wouldn't do you much good, I'm afraid. Poppa expects me to handle my own problems and you'd have to find him. Both aspects would make it easier getting your gold from *ahem* dare I swear... tomb robbing."

Ingol shrugs as she starts to leave the table, slipping her journal away. "I'm going to go check and see if the fog's starting to clear..."

Gryps2
2010-05-13, 12:06 PM
Florence stood up after Ingol, adjusting her belt, which still carried her sheathed shortblade. "I believe I will join you. Good evening." She gave the others one final look before heading up towards the deck.

Anachronism
2010-05-13, 12:09 PM
Rhaegar wondered why everyone had suddenly decided to leave. It probably wasn't important, though. Turning to Chapel, he asked him:

So, Tapper's a "dead man", but what's your story? Why are you heading for Denku?

Exeson
2010-05-13, 12:46 PM
Chapel nodded, 'Aye, I'm headed here on business. I got called to take care of a problem or two.' He leaves the words hanging, completely innocent.

Anachronism
2010-05-13, 01:33 PM
Fair enough. I can tell when a person doesn't want to give their reasons; I've been in that position before. If anyone needs me, I'll be at the bow of the ship.

Rhaegar got up from the table, nodded to Tapper and Chapel, and headed up onto the deck. He saw Ingol and Florence, but decided not to bother them, and instead sat on a bench by the bow. Putting his feet up, he stared out to sea, thinking about what awaited him in Denku.

He wondered if he had run far enough this time.

Exeson
2010-05-13, 04:15 PM
As the night fell a wave of silence fell over the ship, the crew being reduced to just a few men who gently guided the ships into movement as a slight breeze pushed at its sail. Tapper finished his meal alone, Chapel having left to sleep earlier. With a sigh he reached into his pocket and removed a gold amulet, inspection the piece for the thousandth time.

The next few days were un-eventful, the wind picked up and the captain said they were making good time. Two days before he estimated reaching the island a second ship was spotted on the horizon, and it very steadily grew closer. Not in menacing way, more friendly interest, after all there were not this many ships this far away from the Continent. As it reached closer the Captain observed the Imperial pennant, a solid red with a royal blue border.

As night fell the group were assembled below deck for what should be the final or, if the winds died slightly second last evening meal aboard. The conversation had been minimal, usually small talk about the voyage. The winds had begun to pick up in the last hour or so and as the sun dipped below the horizon the red sky morphed into overbearing clouds. The beginnings of a storm. Chapel, after the first meal, had not shared another meal with the unlikely bunch.

Then, a crash. Shouting of voices and the ship lurched violently, spilling food into un-amused laps. A moment of silence was followed by shouts of alarm and the sound of boots smacking the deck.

Tapper looked up, then stood, 'Doesn't sound good, we should check it out' His hand snaked to one of the pouches on his belt.

Gryps2
2010-05-13, 11:30 PM
Placing her palm on the pommel of her sword, Florence rose from her seat and rushed up the stairs to the deck of the ship. Not the type to eat dinner fully armed, she had left her longbow and armguard in her cabin, but hopefully her spells and her steel would be sufficient for any danger that the boat could have run into.

No bow or buckler for this encounter, lowering her to AC 19 but increasing her attack bonus for her short sword to +4.

tonberryking
2010-05-14, 10:16 AM
Ingol, on the other hand, DOES go to breakfast, lunch and dinner fully armed and leaps out from behind Florence expertly brandishing a pair of hatches, wrapped at the grip in pale leather. Yet she still seems only slightly less pleasant than before during all of this, dull concern showing through.

Anachronism
2010-05-14, 11:36 AM
Rhaegar had learned while serving in the mercenary company that it was best to keep a weapon on him at all times. Following swiftly on from Florence and Ingol, he ran up the stairs to the deck, drawing his longsword as he did so.

Exeson
2010-05-14, 01:30 PM
Mucianus follows the group up the ladder as they assemble on deck. They are caught by a strange sight.

In front, about ten yards away is the captain, backed by a line of sailors, all armed and ready with a motley collection of swords and improvised weapons. Ten yards away from them stands Chapel, and at his back are ten men n black. Each of then sports a black rain cape and they are armed with vicious looking long knives.

Now the cause of the impact is evident as side by side to the ship is the vessel spotted earlier, flying the imperial pennant. Above the sky has darkened and the wind has increased, bringing with is the first drops of rain.

'Just hand him over and we can all go away nice and quiet' Chapel growls. In reply the captain spits on the floor at his feet, a ritual gesture of contempt. 'Like that's going to happen' he replies, 'we hand him over and your men will kill us all anyway' he glances back, 'Tapper!' to which the mans snaps to attention, 'Sir?', 'You have my thanks and gratitude, I'm ordering you to bail ship, Take the rest of the passengers with you, it is not their fight.'

Chapel's expression sours, 'I can't allow that, it is a shame to have to kill innocents but everyone on this ship must die.' There is a crack of thunder as the storm moves over the ship and the rain increases tenfold and as one the men in black sweep forward, clashing with the sailors with brutal efficiency.

Tapper curses and turns on his heel, grabbing Ingol and Florence by the arm as he runs to a small rowboat. 'Come on, help me lower it' he shouts to Rhaegar as the sounds of metal on metal and metal on flesh wash over you.

Anachronism
2010-05-14, 02:32 PM
Rhaegar glanced back and forth between Tapper and the fighting men, his violet eyes gleaming; his blood was up and he longed for battle. He saw the sailors dying, and Tapper struggling to lower the boat. He cursed, sheathed his sword, and ran from the fight to help him. Shouting to be heard above the wind and rain, he said to Tapper,

Just what in the hell is going on here? What do they want?

Gryps2
2010-05-14, 04:42 PM
Florence pulls her arm away from Tapper, giving the man a rather distasteful look. "You would have me run away from a battle that is already joined? What chance do we have in that sliver of a boat that we do not have right now?"

tonberryking
2010-05-14, 07:11 PM
Ingol likewise distances herself from Tapper, though it's with a chastising rap of his knuckles with the flat of her axe. "I concur, besides, I'd much rather fight it out hear than risk pursuit in a smaller watercraft no matter how close to land."

Exeson
2010-05-15, 09:57 AM
Tapper looked at the two women in disbelief. 'What's going on here? They're Rek damned Sharks! Eleven of them!' At the blank stares he realises that they do not understand the slang, 'Knives! Problem solvers! Bloody imperial assassins!' he shouts. 'There is no way to win, plus if the Captain has done his job properly this whole ship is going to disappear soon, and I don't plan to be here when that happens.'

Anachronism
2010-05-15, 10:16 AM
He's right. We can't win here; the best thing we can do is escape. Plus, it sounds like he's saying the ship is rigged to explode, and I, for one, don't want to explode. If we stay here, we die.

All the same, he made sure his sword was within easy reach, in case one of the assassins decided to break from fighting the sailors and attack them.

Exeson
2010-05-15, 11:28 AM
Tapper throws his head back and leats out a roar of laughter, 'The noble has brains! Aye, I'm a bloody sapper ain't I? And I'm better than most, we ain't got long. And the lads won't hold them much longer' He continues to lower the boat.

Gryps2
2010-05-15, 12:14 PM
Florence snarls, "Forced to run with my blade unbloodied. Fate can be cruel." But she gives no further resistance to the notion of abandoning ship, helping Tapper lower the boat into the water.

Exeson
2010-05-16, 07:47 AM
By now the storm is in full force, rain lashing down so hard it stings. The boat is now in the water, and Tapper turns to the group. 'here, tie yourselves together, no-one is going overboard.' he passes a rope and the group loop it around their belts or waists.

Tapper takes one end of the rope, and suddenly a knife drives itself into his shoulder, the weapon biting deep. The grinning mass of Chapel appears, his hands and face splattered with blood and the fire of Rek himself burning in his eyes. His booming laughter rings out across the storm. 'Finally have you, now tell me where it is and I won't have to kill you slowly.'

Tapper's blood spills onto the deck as he spits and whips a bottle from his pouch and smashes it against Chapel's head and the pair are engulfed in unnatural fire that not even the rain can prevent. Before anyone can react a violent explosion rips through the ship, propelling the group into the foamy water.

The world around you is dark and freezing cold, you cannot hear a thing under the waves and barely see as far as your hand, forces tug you around and you struggle to stay above the surface.

Swim checks everyone! :smallsmile: DC 20 ditching your weapons and armour will reduce that to DC 15

Anachronism
2010-05-16, 09:28 AM
Rhaegar struggled to stay afloat despite the storm, fighting to stay above the surface of the water.
Swim Check: [roll0]
He had swum a lot in his childhood; he was grateful for the fact now. It was an effort, but he was able to keep his head above water. He tried to turn towards land, but it was impossible to see it in the darkness.

tonberryking
2010-05-16, 10:03 AM
Like hell Ingol's going to drop her satchel, even as the scholarly part of her mind is screaming in agony over what will likely ruin her journal.

[roll0] Swim check

She emerges from the churning waters, refusing to relinquish her gear to the sea as she puts her long legs and arms to use, hopefully moving towards land. "Florence! Where are you??" she calls out before a wave smacks her in the face.

Gryps2
2010-05-16, 12:10 PM
Florence goes for her sword as she sees Chapel approach, but is unable to draw before Tapper immolates himself and his opponent. The explosion of the ship then tosses her violently overboard, though before hitting the waves she has a split second to reflect on how Tapper was apparently not as good sapper as he thought. Hitting the water, instinctively grabs the buckle for her belt and backpack straps and undoes them, loosening her load.

Swim check: [roll0]

Exeson
2010-05-16, 12:40 PM
Ingol and Rhaegar both manage to swim to the surface and thanks to the rope they find each other. Ingol finds a spluttering Florence and drags her up to the air, hooking her body over a piece of ship wreckage that is not burning. Mucianus at the end of the rope is a dead weight, and it takes both Ingol and Rhaegar to pull the man up, he had dropped his gear but obviously been hit in the head by a flying piece of wood, knocking the man unconscious.

Huddled on the piece of wreckage the group look back at the remains of the two ships, both aflame as they casually sank, or indeed what was left of them. Tapper must have been packing some very powerful explosives, ones that even a sapper shouldn't have.

The plunge into the water has frozen the group to the core and they are all shivering. Slowly the storm gives out and the stinging rain ceases, dark clouds replaced by a moon and stars. One by one the group's bodies shut down, indeed it is a miracle that their hearts survived the sudden change in temperature and exertion, and they give in to sleep.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The Crippled God

Chapter 1: The Island, Come and See (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJd0OnUjiI)

The sun is up, the sky clear and the crash of waves bring you to consciousness. You lie still for a moment before it dawns on you, waves mean shore! With a bolt you look up to see that re rest of the group has come to the same conclusion. About fifty meters away is a beach of golden sand that backs onto a lush green jungle made of tropical looking trees. The makeshift raft has already begun to rise and fall with the swell. You can also see on the shore are littered one or two other pieces of wood, obviously belonging to the ship as well.

Welcome to the Island. Thank Alanas.

Anachronism
2010-05-16, 01:25 PM
Rhaegar floats in the water, his ears still ringing from the explosion and his muscles aching from the effort it had taken to get to this place. He checks that he hasn't lost any equipment, and looks around to make sure everyone else made it. He realises that he has no idea what this place is. The thought is at once frightening, and yet strangely exhilirating.

Where the hell are we? I don't suppose anyone has a map that's still in one piece?

Gryps2
2010-05-16, 02:11 PM
Florence comes to gradually, grimacing slightly at her aching body. It was almost better when the coldness of the water was numbing her. She coughs, wiping a hand across her brow to clear the grit and some of her hair away from her eyes. "All my equipment was lost in the storm." she says after hearing Rhaegar, grim at the prospect of losing her arms. "No matter where it is, it is better than remaining in the sea." She starts to struggle in the water towards the shore.

Swim check (if needed): [roll0]

Anachronism
2010-05-16, 04:03 PM
Rhaegar swims to the shore, seeing if Florence needs any help on the way. He wades out of the water, bruised and aching all over from the events of the night before. He collapses onto the sand, and rests against a piece of driftwood.

No argument about that; I'm surprised we survived long enough to get here in the first place. If you need a weapon, you can have my dagger.

Swim check is in the OOC thread.

tonberryking
2010-05-17, 10:39 PM
Ingol

Still with her equipment, Ingol kicks her legs out, trying to paddle towards the shore, hoping that soon her legs will touch the beach's floor and she can simply walk her way to freedom. [roll0]

Exeson
2010-05-19, 01:37 PM
The group all swim their way to land, encountering no problems although Florence does get herself rolled by a particularly big wave, emerging above the surface a few second latter coughing and spluttering. No harm except to pride.

The group congregate on the sand, looking around at the scene, there seemed to be two choices, walk along the shore or head inland, far in the distance could be seen the peak of a mountain.

Gryps2
2010-05-19, 02:34 PM
Florence stands up as she gets to the shallows, wringing the excess water from her clothes as she steps onto the beach. She looks at the ship wreckage strewn across the beach and starts to examine it carefully. "I appreciate the offer of a weapon, Rhaegar. If I can't claim anything from the wreckage I shall have to take you up on it."

Looking for weapons, equipment, etc.
Search check: [roll0]

Exeson
2010-05-19, 04:03 PM
Florence's perch turns up nothing, although there is not much to look through, mainly exploded pieces of the ship's hull. She does come across a crate of biscuits that have been turned into sludge but nothing else in the way of food.

However somehting more interesting presents itself, along the shore line moving into the jungle is a set of footprints, ones that seem to originate from the surf. Is it possible that someone else managed to survive?

Anachronism
2010-05-19, 04:23 PM
Rhaegar sees the footprints in the sand, and wonders whose they could be. He sees nothing of interest on the beach, and it is obvious that there is nothing of value in the ship's wreckage.

There's nothing here. I say we head inland, and follow those footsteps. We need to find some food and fresh water, and try and work out where we are. If nothing else, we could find whoever left those footprints and see what he's doing here. Probably washed up like us, but he might prove helpful.

tonberryking
2010-05-20, 06:19 PM
Ingol has other concerns.

Sloshing out of the water and emptying her satchel of even more water (and oh so saddened in the process, her journal is possibly ruined beyond repair) she sloshes up the beach and without a word to anyone pulls out her two axes just as she disappears into the trees. A few moments later the crack of steel against lumber occurs a few time and then, finally cheery again, Ingol returns carrying a few lengths of easily gripped wood about the length of her arm.

"Florence! I found a club for you!" ^_^ And some firewood or..um.. other clubs I assume, but I would rather we dry out first before taking on any exploration...

...It IS this easy to make clubs, right?

Gryps2
2010-05-20, 09:48 PM
"We are unlikely to find any food or potable water on the coast." Florence says in agreement with Rhaegar. She watches Ingol enter the forest, and then exit with a bundle of would-be clubs. Her goofy unflappability sounds pay off every once in a while.

"Ah, thank you, L'linne." she says, taking the kindling from her. She flips one of the clubs over in her hand, then throws it tomahawk-style for a fair distance, hitting the tip of some of the wreckage. "These should suffice for throwing weapons, at least. Rhaegar, if I could have your dagger for close-in combat it would be most helpful."

Anachronism
2010-05-21, 09:07 AM
Rhaegar unbuckles his dagger from his belt and hands it to Florence. Take it. It's nothing special, but it's a whole lot better than nothing.

He turns to Ingol. I say we leave now, if we want to have any hope of finding whoever left those footprints. Also, I would be surprised if there isn't already a ship looking for Chapel and those assassins. Their absence must have been noticed by now, and I'd rather not have to deal with whoever sent them.

Gryps2
2010-05-21, 03:51 PM
Florence takes the dagger and arranges what meager remains there are of her equipment. "We can work on restoring your journals once we're in a more secure position, L'linne." Florence says, cutting to what she perceives as the heart of the matter. "Besides, in this heat, our wet clothes could be a blessing."

Exeson
2010-05-22, 02:48 AM
Ingol and Rheagar
Both of you notice a glinting near the sea line, just beyond the surf. Upon further inspection it is a symbol of the second army, the pin bent out of shape by heat.

Let me know when you guys have reached a decision

Anachronism
2010-05-22, 05:20 AM
Rhaegar notices a badge near the sea line; he picks it up and and inspects it.

Second Army. This must have belonged to Tapper. He looks round at the others. This settles it. If there are people looking for him, they'll be able to follow the wreckage here. We need to head inland.

Gryps2
2010-05-22, 03:32 PM
"Let's not tarry any longer, then." Florence says, looking along the coastline for a less tangled place to head inland before heading towards it.

Spot check: [roll0]

Exeson
2010-05-23, 01:39 PM
Florence is unable to spot anywhere easier to enter the foliage, and so the group merely strides ahead, batting past leaves and bushes, ducking under branches. The world gets darker very quickly, and the dense undergrowth gives way to huge tree trunks that drown out almost all the light.

The going gets harder as you advance because although the undergrowth is thinner the darkness and obscure shadows make movement a trouble. The heat also increases, humidity of thousands of plants transpiring causes you all to break into a sweat, and soon your clothes are drenched.

Listen checks from everyone please, and also at least one of you needs to roll a survival check

Anachronism
2010-05-23, 03:31 PM
Rhaegar struggles through the jungle, trying to cut a path through the plants with his sword. It is difficult going; already tired from the struggle to shore, he doubts if he will be able to continue like this for long.
Listen check: [roll0]
Survival check: [roll1]

Gryps2
2010-05-23, 04:40 PM
Florence continues inwards, trying to keep her bearings as she continues towards the inside of the island. "We may need to stop soon to rest. Keep vigilant for safe places to stay."

Listen check: [roll0]
Survival check [roll1]

tonberryking
2010-05-24, 10:09 PM
[roll0] Survival, [roll1] listen

Ingol traipses along with the others, nearly starting to regret that she managed to save her gear. Except for her water skin which she gladly shares as the dilapidated crew goes through the near shore jungles, seemingly her typical chipper self.

Exeson
2010-05-25, 05:34 AM
The humidity increases as you keep moving, or is it that you are just sweating more? Soon the whole group is dehydrated and the going is tough. Step in front of the last one, a single pace at a time is the only way you manage to convince yourself to be going on.

You have begun to suspect that you are lost, aimlessly walking through the jungle. After a while Florence tips her head to one side. 'Does anyone else hear that?' she asks, and the group shakes their collective heads.

'Exactly, this place is silent, I haven't heard a single animal or insect this whole time-'

'Wait!' Licin holds up a hand for silence and a look of concentration passes over his face, 'I can hear running Water.' He begins to move through the trees, motioning for the group to follow, and for the first time in hours there is a sense of purpose to the trudging.

The undergrowth begins to grow thicker again, and some light returns to the world, a sign of a thinning canopy. Relief floods through you as you push past the last of the bushes and arrive at a pool, about twenty yards in diameter with a small stream leading off from it. The water is crystal clear, and although you can see right to the bottom, it looks deep. At one end of the pool is a cliff of sorts, with a waterfall about eight feet high. In the pool's center is a rocky outcrop, big enough for perhaps two people to sit on. There are no fish in the pool, or none you can see anyway.

Anachronism
2010-05-25, 10:45 AM
Finally! Rhaegar staggers over to the pool, kneels in front of it, and puts his head under the water, washing the sweat and salt from his face. After filling his waterskin, he takes a long drink from it, desperately thirsty after the journey through the jungle. He sits down, resting his back against a treestump.

This seems as good a place to rest as any, and we certainly need it. I say we pitch camp here.

Gryps2
2010-05-25, 04:08 PM
Florence kneels down to cup some water in her hands, taking a few drinks before washing her face and neck. "We should be careful where we choose to stay. Doubtlessly any other creatures that inhabit this island will also come here to drink."

tonberryking
2010-05-26, 09:33 AM
Ingol fills and re-fills her waterskin a few times, but most of the water she collects is used to clean her face and hands; only after the third time does she bother to drink any of it.

"And here I was thinking this would be a lovely spot to set up camp. If we don't stay here, we'll just be forced back to replenish ourselves or or waste time looking for another clean supply of water upstream. I wouldn't mind sharing water with leopards or apes or whatever animal population comes around." you honestly can't tell if she's serious, But I do agree that we shouldn't set up camp in the open... we should forage for a nearby hiding place."

Exeson
2010-05-27, 06:02 AM
Licin looks up from the edge of the water after having washed his face. 'So? are we camping here then? another question is do we head upstream or downstream?'

Gryps2
2010-05-27, 09:14 PM
"It may be worthwhile to get the lay of the land first." Florence says, walking over towards the small outcropping where the waterfall is and looking for a good way to climb up it.

Climb check (if a good way up is found): [roll1]

Anachronism
2010-05-28, 06:26 AM
I suppose out here in the open isn't the best place to camp. If we do leave, we should head upstream; downstream will just lead back to the sea.

In spite of this, it is clear that he doesn't want to move: he stays lying down where he is, reluctant to get up now that they've found a place to rest.

Exeson
2010-05-28, 07:20 AM
The sun is beginning to set now, and although light is still plentiful the sky has taken on a slight orange hue, hinting that whatever still needed to be done that required daylight should be done soon.

Florence
The numerous vines and cracked rock face make picking a route easy, and indeed you swing yourself up the rock deftly, not missing a single handhold or misplacing a foot. At the top you find yourself in a clearing of sorts, and a second pool, or at least a small collection of water. Looking back towards the sea you see an unbroken sea of green leading back the the blue water. Moving your gaze in a wide circle you look upstream, and almost in line with the direction of the stream you can see, just above the tree tops a pillar of some sort. The gray blocks rising towards the sky. At your estimates it is perhaps another days trek inland.

Licin, Ingol and Rhaegar
You watch Florence as she climbs up and disappears over the lip of the waterfall. Then Licin looks around, 'something's coming' he whispers and moves to the treeline, motioning the rest of you to do the same, and indeed you do hear splashes coming from downstream, along with the occasional rustle of undergrowth.

Anachronism
2010-05-28, 11:41 AM
Rhaegar crouches behind a tree, looking downstream to where the noises are coming from. Worried that it could be associates of Chapel and the assassins, he silently draws his sword, ready in case of attack.

Hide check: [roll0]
Spot check: [roll1]

Gryps2
2010-05-28, 09:07 PM
Florence finishes her surveillance, turning back to shout down to the others. However, upon coming back into view, she sees Rhaegar crouched with his sword down, and immediately ducks down to try and provide herself with cover from the ridge of the cliff, drawing out one of her throwing clubs as she peeks up to try and catch sight of what has raised Rhaegar's concern.

tonberryking
2010-05-29, 11:42 AM
Ingol also ducks around in the foliage near the waterfall, tucking her axes into her belt for easy grabbing while loading up her other remaining weapon: a sling. Thus protected she nestles down, waiting to see who's coming up for a drink.

[roll0] Hide check and then some spotting:[roll1]

Exeson
2010-05-31, 04:01 PM
A man stumbles into view, average build, short brown hair. He is making his way along the bank of the stream, walking in a strange half step gait, and indeed a bloodstained piece of cloth is crudely tied around his left ankle. Upon seeing the group he shouts,

'Thank the Realms! It's you!' he hobbles closer, 'glad to see you made it off the ship,' he almost collapses at Rheagar's feet, instead sinking down into a cross legged position.

Anachronism
2010-06-01, 06:58 AM
Rhaegar is puzzled by the appearance of the man, but it is clear that he is not a threat, so he slowly sheathes his sword. Helping him to his feet, he asks him:

Who are you? How did you get off the ship?

Gryps2
2010-06-01, 09:53 PM
Seeing the man poses no threat, Florence rises back up, climbing carefully back down the the cliff to rejoin the others. Still, she retains some suspicion, keeping her club at the ready. "How did you manage to find us?"

Take 10 on the Climb check for a result of 11.

Exeson
2010-06-03, 07:38 AM
'I am, was, the ship's first mate. When Tapper blew up the ship, a little early I'll add, I floated here by holding on to a barrel.' He sits up, 'It's a miracle I found you, I was just following the stream inland hopping to find a village or something but this place is dead.'

Anachronism
2010-06-04, 08:53 AM
I suppose you'd better come with us. But first, a question. You said Tapper blew up the ship sooner than you expected. Did he know that those assassins were after him?

Suddenly, anger takes hold of Rhaegar, and he grabs the man by his shirt collar. Did you? Did you know they were coming? If you did, I'd say you're to blame for us being stuck here. You could have warned us, but you didn't. Why?

Intimidate check: [roll0]

Exeson
2010-06-04, 01:41 PM
'Easy there, no we didn't know, we thought we had lost them long before, but Tapper being Tapper he always made precautions, better no one has it than they do.'

Anachronism
2010-06-04, 03:07 PM
Rhaegar gradually lets go of the man and steps back. I apologise. I overreacted. You'd better join us, I suppose; we could use some extra help, and so could you, by the look of you.

He turns to Florence. Did you see anything of note from the top of the waterfall? Any signs that people live here?

Gryps2
2010-06-05, 03:51 PM
"About a day's journey inland there is a massive stone pillar in line with this stream. I do not think it to be a natural formation." Florence replies, glancing at Rhaegar before returning her gaze to the first mate. "Your name, sir."

Exeson
2010-06-06, 05:05 AM
'Krux, and I ain't no sir either, yours?'

Gryps2
2010-06-06, 02:42 PM
"Florence Gadamyn." Florence replies to the man brusquely, before returning her gaze to the surrounding area. "You were lucky to find us before nightfall. I would not have wanted to set up camp alone on such a suspicious location."

Anachronism
2010-06-07, 05:56 AM
Are we setting up camp here or not, then? I think it's as good a place as any. We can organise watches easily enough, in case something else does come here. If we're going to make for that pillar tomorrow, we'll need to rest tonight.

tonberryking
2010-06-07, 08:51 PM
I will take first watch!" Ingol helpfully offers as she suddenly emerges from the brush, wiping her hands. It will give me time to try to rescue my journal and dry out my other things; I daresay we may need to depend on them until we can be thus re-outfitted..."

"The one on watch should take a position up where dear Florence was; it would be the more defensible position and we'd see further."

Anachronism
2010-06-08, 04:16 PM
Rhaegar walks over to the edge of the forest and picks up some dry twigs and leaves. Arranging them on the ground near the pool, he takes a flint out of his pocket and lights a small fire. He lies back on the grass, glad to finally have a chance to rest.

Gryps2
2010-06-08, 08:29 PM
Florence nods to Ingol as she speaks; Ingol was likely to do whatever she wanted no matter what she said, so she decided just to go with the flow for the moment. She sits down near the fire Rhaegar sets, but doesn't move to go to sleep until Krux is asleep. There were still too many unanswered questions about what happened on that boat for her to trust anyone involved in the incident just yet.

Exeson
2010-06-10, 04:56 AM
Krux moves over to the pool and dips his ankle in the water, and you can see in the fading light a dark cloud of blood in the water as he washes the bandage. He then tears off a second strip from his shirt and dries the wound before re-tying it.

The daylight begins to fade and as you all begin to settle for sleep your stomachs begin to rumble. Now that the more pressing matter of water had been resolved your bodies' second priority was beginning to manifest. The light of the fire flickers over Krux as he curls up on the floor, using his shirt as a makeshift pillow.

The watches saw nothing in the night, indeed as during the day the whole place seemed dead.... no sound apart from the wind rustling the trees. Although Ingol did manage to restore some of her notes, not a lot though.

The sun rose early, sliding silently over the horizon as it bathed the clearing in a warm red glow and the group began to stir awake.

tonberryking
2010-06-11, 10:53 AM
Ingol does more than stir. Having dried, oiled, and preserved what she could of her gear the odd historian repacks everything in her pack and... walks into the woods. She makes an embarrassing excuse that she's using the privy but unless she is actually a dog in a clever human disguise this act would not entail her circling around the camp once or twice...which is what she's doing assuming she's spotted by one of the others.

Actually, she's just making a patrol for the benefit of herself and the others to make sure nobody else is on their way for a visit.

[roll0] [roll1][roll2] Spot, listen and hide, all in one morning.

Gryps2
2010-06-11, 05:47 PM
Florence awakens silently, stretching before going over her equipment to make sure nothing went missing during the night. Afterwards, she goes to the water to get a drink and wash her face. She notes Ingol circling the perimeter of the camp; doubtlessly trying to check the surroundings, which she always lies about for some reason Florence could never understand. She shakes her head to herself and sits down in a lotus position, unsheathing her dagger and meditating on the riddle of the steel, letting the power of Obtiil flow into her for the day's use.

Anachronism
2010-06-12, 04:36 AM
Rhaegar wakes up next to the ashes of the fire. He quickly checks everyone else is safe before washing his face in the pool. After loosening his sword in its sheath, he heads out into the forest to find something to eat, either fruits or, possibly, an animal.

Move Silently: [roll1]

Exeson
2010-06-12, 04:37 PM
Everything seems in order, and the obvious worries that Krux would have gotten up to somehting in the night were unfounded. Rheagar returned from his forage empty handed, not so much as a single berry found.

Licin stretched, his joints cracking after a night spent on cold ground. 'I think we best get moving, maybe we will find some food at the building you saw.'

Krux nodded at this, 'Aye, I've no wish to camp another night in this jungle, something about it scares me.

Anachronism
2010-06-13, 10:22 AM
Irritated at being unable to find any food, Rhaegar takes one last drink from the pool before checking his equipment.

We'd better get moving then. Lead the way, Florence.

Gryps2
2010-06-13, 05:23 PM
Stopping her meditation, Florence stands up from the ground, sheathing her dagger. "Very well. I am not certain if we shall find food at the pillar, but perhaps we will find some game on the journey." With that, she starts back over towards the cliff face, carefully scaling back up it. "We'll follow the stream to the pillar. At least we will not be without water. Watch yourself while climbing."

Taking 10 again for Climb, for a result of 11.

Anachronism
2010-06-14, 03:55 PM
Rhaegar follows Florence over to the waterfall, and, eyeing it grimly, climbs up it, trying not to get too soaked. Indeed; we'll certainly be more comfortable than when we were walking through the jungle.
Climb check: [roll0]

Exeson
2010-06-20, 03:20 PM
The group ascends the waterfall, and after taking another drink from the pool they set off along the stream. The travel is definitely easier today and whenever the undergrowth grows too thick a short wade along the stream avoids having to push though. However now that dehydration has been solved you grow hungry, not having eaten in two days.As the day drags on and the sun moves across the sky the group becomes more and more spread out, Licin at the front with Krux hobbling up at the rear, but the pace is kept, the promise of that tower ever-present in front of you.

It is now late afternoon from what you can tell and as the group trudges on the scenery begins to change. Trees and undergrowth gave way to a think carpet of moss and lichin, all soaked in ankle deep water. Mounds began to rise to either side and the stream all but disappeared, now only half an inch or so deep. Between the mounds of vines and plants you catch glimpses of carved stone, a dull red colour. The mounds begin to merge as you walk further, placing you in the middle of a gully of sorts, about thirty yards wide and three of for yards deep.

After twenty minutes of walking you arrive at a fork and sitting on the top of the mound in the middle is perched a figure. Dressed in charred clothes that reveal skin an angry red shade, cracked and weeping an intricate lattice across the man's features. The face is however familiar, as the man spins a gold pendant around on one finger, his features split into a grin.

'Glad you lot managed to get away with your lives.' Tapper calls down, '... Although that means Chapel probably did too.'

Anachronism
2010-06-20, 04:06 PM
Tapper, what a... surprise. Didn't expect to see you here; I don't suppose you have any idea where here is? Or where we can find some food? You look like hell, by the way.

Rhaegar appears uncomfortable; following the events on the ship he has doubts about Tapper's trustworthiness. He is also concerned about the possibility of Chapel still being alive; if he is, associating with Tapper is likely a very bad idea.

Gryps2
2010-06-21, 10:39 PM
Florence's eyes narrow as they come upon Tapper in the clearing. His miraculous survival and his ability to leapfrog ahead of them in the journey to the interior did nothing to allay the suspicions she already had about the man. While the others engage him in conversation, Florence murmurs a whispered chant, asking for Obtiil's assistance in revealing any... inhuman aid Tapper might be receiving.

Casting Detect Magic.

Exeson
2010-06-22, 06:01 AM
'Here?' Tapper looks around, 'I'd say it was a jungle, although you must have noticed this gully to be too uniform to be natural.' He shrugs, 'As for food, well there is none of it around, this whole place is dead, apart from one or two hunters.... Well dead is the wrong word, perhaps 'preserved' would work better?'

Florence
It is very difficult to hide your reaction from the rest of the party, the strength of a magical aura from Tapper is almost overwhelming. After a few seconds the image sharpens and you can tell that there are infact two aura's emanating from the man, one from the amulet he is spinning around his finger and another from his very body.

Gryps2
2010-06-22, 10:12 PM
Florence tries to hide her surprise at whatever it is she sees, and focus on determining what she can about the auras. It could prove fruitful for later discussion, though she has no intention of bringing it up around Tapper... at least for now.

Spellcraft checks for both auras:
Tapper: [roll0]
Amulet: [roll1]

And a Bluff check if necessary to conceal her surprise:
Bluff: [roll2]

tonberryking
2010-06-22, 11:46 PM
Ingol smiles like a ray of sunshine as she casually unloops her hatchets. "Florence, dear, who is this awful man? I don't think a mere deserter would be so apt at escaping and then remain here to mock us, especially looking so frightful..."

Exeson
2010-06-23, 05:13 AM
Tapper's hand comes up, 'Hey hey, easy there, let's not get violent. So I may have miscalculated the fuse, I was in a hurry ok? No, I didn't mess up, someone knocked it. Yeah that's better.' He looks genuinely worried. 'We ain't enemies. I think.'

Florence
As you concentrate on Tapper you get flavours of the magic. The amulet feels almost bland, radiating raw power in a pure for. The aura from Tapper is different, it is aligned, that you can tell, but not with any realm you have encountered. It has hints of Rek but it feels much... older.

Anachronism
2010-06-23, 04:46 PM
There'll be no need for violence as long as you start telling us how you got here. And why were those assassins looking for you? There's no way they'd send that many after a simple deserter.

While speaking, Rhaegar pointedly places his hand on the hilt of his sword, ready to draw it.

Gryps2
2010-06-23, 09:04 PM
Florence places a restraining hand on Ingol's arm. "Wait. Let him speak." She gives her friend a look to indicate that she has more to say, but at a later time. She then turns her gaze to Tapper. "Rhaegar is correct. Parts of your story do not seem to add up."

Exeson
2010-06-24, 06:06 AM
Tapper shrugs, 'I'm telling the truth, I an a deserter, believe me if you want to.'

'I think I can fill in some gaps though' Says Krux from behind the group, he has just caught up with the rest. 'Heard a few stories myself, although I didn't think they were true till now.'

'Then you'll be so kind as to leave them till I'm not around, otherwise it would just be plain rude.' With that Tapper stands. 'Look, you guys are in a bad spot, and I like you, so here.' He chucks the amulet at Florence's feet. 'Take the left fork, and keep going till you get to the pillar, go to the archway with that amulet.' He turns and jumps down and begins walking down the right fork.

'I'm done with it anyway' he calls back over his shoulder.

Anachronism
2010-06-24, 04:38 PM
Rhaegar glances down at the amulet, and then back up at Tapper, his distrust flaring up again. He calls out to him.

Wait - what's down the left fork? And why are you heading the other way? Is there something unpleasant waiting for us there?

Gryps2
2010-06-25, 05:25 PM
Florence gives the amulet a look like she'd rather not touch it, but steels herself; a follower of Obtiil shows not a fear of danger, and she did have a morbid curiosity to see what the amulet actually does. Tentatively, she picks it up off of the ground.

Exeson
2010-06-27, 03:26 PM
Tapper waves a hand and without looking back calls out, 'It's a key of sorts, you'll be fine unless a hunter comes after you. Then you got to run.'

Florence
As you pick up the amulet it feels like it almost has a heartbeat. It however does feel slightly.... empty. Perhaps Tapper had used it up so to speak? But that can't be, it still had more power in it than any priests you had ever met.

tonberryking
2010-06-27, 08:50 PM
Ingol makes a move towards Florence but seeing that the amulet doesn't turn her into some gargoyle or smite her with unholy lightning, she assumes for the moment that her friend is not divinely screwed.

However, she's not done with appearing more cautious than her normal demeanor.

"Hunters? What sort of hunters are you on about? Local tribesmen or someone searching for you, and none too pleased, either>

Exeson
2010-06-28, 06:30 AM
Tapper is almost out of earshot now, 'Reptiles, big. Not people. They are a relic of the time when this place was preserved'

Anachronism
2010-06-29, 08:53 AM
Rhaegar sighs with frustration and turns back to Florence and Ingol.

So, what do we do? I think it's worth checking out the left fork to see what's there; it can't be too dangerous, since Tapper evidently made it back alright. Is there anything interesting about that amulet he gave you, Florence?

Gryps2
2010-06-29, 05:01 PM
Florence is silent for a few moments before responding. "It has great power, and so does he. Whatever may imperil us would hardly be a threat to one such as him." She wraps the amulet around her wrist for safekeeping. "I think we should do as he says. We are in the keeping of the Realms now."

Anachronism
2010-07-04, 07:44 AM
I agree. Let's take the left fork and see what we can find. We at least have some idea what to expect there; anywhere else and we'd have no idea what's waiting for us.

Rhaegar loosens his sword in his sheath and sets off down the left fork.

tonberryking
2010-07-04, 11:28 AM
Ingol abdicates to the judgment of her piers moving towards the left pathway with them.

"If I may be so bold, maybe one of us should scout ahead of the rest? If we have two paths available and one quickly turns sour then this way we don't lose as much ground... Or have as far to flee, but let's not think so downtrodden, yes?"

Gryps2
2010-07-05, 10:39 PM
Florence puts a hand on Ingol's shoulder. "Normally I would agree, but there are powers at work here beyond even my ability to comprehend. I think we should follow along until we gain a clearer understanding of what is going on here."

She then starts down the left fork herself, looking around warily as she goes.

Exeson
2010-07-07, 04:37 PM
The path continues on, with the tower ever looming in the distance. As you get closer you can see the undergrowth begins to diminish, and in its place stand carved blocks of stone. The gully gets deeper, and the water is now halfway up your legs. As the tower comes ever closer you realise that it is merely the top of a vast structure, a huge ziggurat type building.

You finally reach some steps, carved into the side of the gully that seem to lead to the base of the building. Climbing up them you are presented with a paved road, now covered in patches of moss, leading to the monument, and indeed there is an archway, an entrance to the building. Relief fills you as you realise that Tapper was telling the truth and you begin to walk down the road when a shrill cry pierces the air.

Your blood runs cold as the keening wail dies away, only to sound again, closer and it seems to be coming from the gully, the way you came.

'Something tells me we should hurry' says Krux, a nervous edge to his voice.

Anachronism
2010-07-08, 06:30 AM
NAZGUL! If something's following us, we need to get inside the structure. We can't defend ourselves out here in the open.

Rhaegar swiftly draws his sword and takes up a position at the side of the archway, ready to fight if anything comes. Gesturing to the others to do the same, he looks down the gully to try and see what's following them.

Spot check:[roll0]

Gryps2
2010-07-08, 10:22 PM
Glancing backwards, Florence rushes up towards the archway. She draws her dagger, but rather than assume a defensive stance she looks down at the amulet wound round her wrist as she steps near the archway. "Cover for me. If that man was telling the truth, perhaps we needn't fight at all."

Anachronism
2010-07-09, 10:27 AM
Rhaegar looks at Florence in disbelief; fear at whatever is following them is beginning to show on his face.

You want me to distract that thing? Do you want me to get eaten? Are you mad?

Gryps2
2010-07-09, 05:38 PM
Florence gives Rhaegar a look. "I never said for you to distract it. Just make sure it does not eat me. Tapper said to bring this amulet to the archway, so that's what I'm going to do. If the power in this amulet is any indication, whatever it is meant to trigger should be something."

Exeson
2010-07-09, 05:46 PM
The cries of the creature seem to cease, leaving only the sound of hearts thumping in chests. As Florence moves near the archway you can see the amulet begin to shine and then pulse a faint white light.

Florence
As the trinket pulse you can feel a force guiding you. The power of the amulet begins to flow out but somehow you know you are required to.. direct it. A certain knowledge is imparted to you, showing you where to send the pulse and you begin to work quickly, eyes screwed shut in concentration.

Florence suddenly screws her eyes shut and her breathing become labored. As you move over to help the wailing cry slashes through the air again, and this time it is answered from the other side of the gully. Now there is two of... whatever they are. S***.

tonberryking
2010-07-09, 10:55 PM
Ingol glances at Rhaegar. "I still have my sling if you too needed something closer to a ranged particular." she makes no mention of what she's doing, but whether or not she's slingless Ingol looks around for a tree she can climb up. Something that can hide her so she can amble up in order to get the drop on whatever 'unlucky sod' is lurking about and wailing. No one's going to hurt her friend while she's around.

Anachronism
2010-07-10, 04:50 AM
We've got to get her inside the structure; we're completely exposed out here! We can use the arch as a choke point to hold them off!

Rhaegar grabs Florence and helps her through the archway, where she should hopefully be safer from the creatures. He drops into a crouch by the wall, ready to respond quickly if something comes. Again, he tries to see what it is that's following them.

Exeson
2010-07-11, 05:19 PM
Despite Rheagar's best efforts Florence in unmovable. It is almost like she is rooted to the ground. at the same time Ingol has found the only height advantage she could get is by climbing up the stepped side of the building.

Lucius and Krux both move over the the archway, 'I don't think she is moving,'.

'Do we abandon her or make a stand here?' asks Krux

tonberryking
2010-07-13, 06:24 PM
"Oh we're making a stand alright..." Ingol decides, at least for herself as she starts to amble up the side of the edifice, both axes out as she lies in wait Actually, she's hiding: [roll0].

Exeson
2010-07-14, 08:19 PM
Ingol manages to find herself a spot of shadow just above the arch in which to hide, and she does a good job of it, blending nicely with the dappled shades of the rock. Meanwhile below, Rheagar has given up on his attempts to shift Florence and readies himself for battle.

Krux and Lucius both take up defensive positions in front of the archway as the up to now unseen opponents round the corner of the steps. The first thing that strikes you is the size; two creatures resembling the rock lizards that are common back home. However, these creatures stand as tall as a man and run on two legs, their tails held straight out behind them. Their eyes seem strangely intelligent, the yellow irises contrasting with the slate gray scales.

Suddenly Florence jerks into motion once again, and in the back of the archway a green shimmering portal appears, 'Quickly! everyone get through! now! I don't know how long it will hold'

Anachronism
2010-07-17, 04:58 AM
She's right; escape is our only option here. Go!

Rhaegar, gesturing to the others to follow, runs to the portal, but stops before it. He glances back and sees the lizards still approaching; he takes a deep breath, closes his eyes, and enters the portal.

Gryps2
2010-07-21, 02:32 PM
Florences grimaces, unwilling to leave before my friend Ingol goes through. "Hurry, Ingol!" She looks back to see how close the lizards are. "Leave them for another day!"

tonberryking
2010-07-22, 08:37 AM
Ingol doesn't seem too happy over ruining her hiding place but fight or flight. It's a basic mechanic and she understands what needs to be done as she hitches up her skirt and hauls ass after the others, passing Florence with a quick nod.

Exeson
2010-07-23, 10:43 AM
Rheagar and Ingol dive into the portal, disappearing from sight with a flash of light. Florence looks round to see the lizards begin to advance cautiously, picking up pace as they grow more confident.

Krux hobbles past Florence and through the portal as the lizards dartforward, jaws open and thumb sized teeth flashing. Lucius swears and turns to run through the portal but he stumbles, and time almost slows down as he flies through the air, a look of horror on his face.

Heart almost leaping out of her chest Florence sees the first lizard descend on Lucius, biting into his exposed back as the other advances on her, moving past its companion. It will be on her in mere seconds before it reaches her, what an inopportune moment to be faced with such a choice, underpinned by Lucius's screams.

Gryps2
2010-07-24, 05:48 PM
Florence grimaces as Lucius falls; the path to safety would dictate that she abandon him, as he is almost certainly doomed already. The path of safety is the path of cowardice, however, and one that Obtiil would not book her to follow. Grasping her holy symbol, she whispers to that strife-filled realm. "Bring forth thy fire." After ensuring that Lucius will not be caught in the cone, she unleashes a scorching cone of flame at the approaching lizard, hoping to scare them both away.

Burning Hands, 15 foot cone, [roll0] damage. And they have to roll a Reflex DC 15 save to avoid catching on fire.

Exeson
2010-08-06, 06:52 AM
Florence
Florence's holy symbol glows and a wave of flame rolls outward, wrapping around the creatures. The creatures flinch back, and although the flames seem to only have done superficial damage there is a glint of fear in their eyes. Feeling a slight presence from behind her Florence glances back at the portal in time to see it ripple; a short ominous pause and them a gout of flame lanced out of the portal. Not long enough to reach Florence the heat was still oppressive and with a cry the creatures turned tail and flee.

Ingol and Rheagar
After stepping through the portal you immediately feel a strong temperature spike. You seem to be in a chamber of some sort, walls of Grey stone with only a single corridor directly in front of you.

Anachronism
2010-08-07, 08:38 AM
Rhaegar looks around to see if everyone made it through; however, only Ingol is there with him. Ignoring the corridor for now, but not wishing to go back and face the lizards again, he leans against the wall, hoping that the others will make it through soon. He makes sure he has his sword ready in case anything other than his companions comes through the portal.

Gryps2
2010-08-07, 09:24 PM
Florence stands back in amazement as the fires bellow forth from the portal, raising an arm against the heat. As the creatures flee, she quickly kneels next to Lucius, wrapping her arms under his shoulders and seeking to drag him through the portal before anything else comes at them.

Florence's Push/Drag is at 650 lbs, which is enough for the task at hand, I'd think.

Exeson
2010-08-10, 07:16 PM
You only have to wait a moment before Krux falls through the portal, followed by Florence, dragging Lucius behind her. The soldier is in a bad way, his shoulder and neck are ripped to pieces and there are holes in his back that have blood bubbling out; evidence of a punctured lung.

Leaving a dark trail behind him Florence moves the man away from the portal and Krux hobbles over, 'I don't think he will last long'

Gryps2
2010-08-12, 06:18 AM
Florence grimaces, and places a hand on the dying man's chest, chanting a prayer to Obtiil to spare this man for now. A reddish glow eminates from her hand, and sinks into Lucius, like blood flowing back into his body. She then starts to tear her sleeve into strips to try and cover his wounds. "I'll need more bandages than this."

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0] HP healed
Heal check (First Aid): [roll1]

Anachronism
2010-08-12, 07:45 AM
Rhaegar follows suit, tearing strips of fabric from his cloak, and helps Florence bind Lucius' wounds. Seeing the severity of his injuries, he doubts that they'll be able to save Lucius, but thinks they ought to try.

Heal check (First Aid): [roll0]

Exeson
2010-08-12, 06:53 PM
The healing magic dances over the soldier's body and the more vicious holes in his flesh begin to knit together, however the ragged and shallow breathing is evident that the extent of the damage was severe. Lucius appears to be on the verge of consciousness, his breathing shallow and irregular.

Anachronism
2010-08-15, 11:40 AM
I doubt there's anything more we can do for him here. We'll just have to hope we can get him some better help soon. We only have the one choice, anyway.

Rhaegar gently lifts Lucius onto his shoulders, and sets off down the corridor.

Rhaegar's maximum carry weight is 230lbs; that ought to be enough to lift Lucius.

Gryps2
2010-08-16, 04:37 PM
Florence nods, drawing her dagger out and skirting around past Rhaegar to scan for danger ahead of him.

Exeson
2010-08-18, 12:09 PM
The group begins moving down the passage, nothing irregular catching anyone's eye. Wherever the group is one thing is certain, it is hot, and before long everyone is sweating. After a minute or so you reach the end of the passage, which opens out into a square stone chamber. There are three other passages leading from the chamber, one directly ahead and the other two leading off at right angles to it. In the middle of the chamber is a raised stone dias.

Gryps2
2010-08-21, 07:07 PM
Walking ahead, Florence looks down each of the passages before approaching the dias, looking towards the amulet wrapped around her wrist for any sort of reaction.

Spot checks:
1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]
3: [roll2]

Anachronism
2010-08-29, 11:25 AM
Rhaegar follows Florence into the chamber, keeping a few metres behind her in case something happens. He leaves her to approach the dais, keeping Lucius over his left shoulder, with his right hand resting on the hilt of his sword. He also takes a look down each of the three passages, in case he happens to see something Florence may have missed.

Spot checks: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]